PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day For Me

Johnnyt
09-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Today was kind of a sad day for me. I packed up my three playing cues and big case ave gave my round cue stand with eight cues to a friend. He got three two-piece, one jumper, three one-piece, and a snooker cue in it. I gave away all my other cues and cases along with videos, books, and other pool related stuff to my daughters and granddaughters, as they still play. Iím going to look around locally for a youth center that doesnít have money to buy new stuff for their pool tables. I have four sets of Aramith, four sets of off brand, and about a dozen CBís. My Valley had been out in the weather for seven years and was in bad shape so I took a sledge and power saw to it. Using the pieces of slate for stepping-stones in the backyard.

Iím going to take the wife on a little three-state trip when it cools down a bit in FL. Iím going to bring my cues and make a few stops in poolrooms that have Diamond 7í tables just to make sure Iím really done. I miss pool, but not as much as I thought I would. I think thatís because I always treated it like a fun job. I rarely played for fun-fun. They say all good things come to an end. I had over 50 good years of it and a few not so good last few years, so I really canít complain about it. Johnnyt

Tramp Steamer
09-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Enjoy your trip, Johnny. You're a good guy. :smile::smile::smile:

Johnnyt
09-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Enjoy your trip, Johnny. You're a good guy. :smile::smile::smile:

Thank you. Johnnyt

JoeyA
09-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Today was kind of a sad day for me. I packed up my three playing cues and big case ave gave my round cue stand with eight cues to a friend. He got three two-piece, one jumper, three one-piece, and a snooker cue in it. I gave away all my other cues and cases along with videos, books, and other pool related stuff to my daughters and granddaughters, as they still play. Iím going to look around locally for a youth center that doesnít have money to buy new stuff for their pool tables. I have four sets of Aramith, four sets of off brand, and about a dozen CBís. My Valley had been out in the weather for seven years and was in bad shape so I took a sledge and power saw to it. Using the pieces of slate for stepping-stones in the backyard.

Iím going to take the wife on a little three-state trip when it cools down a bit in FL. Iím going to bring my cues and make a few stops in poolrooms that have Diamond 7í tables just to make sure Iím really done. I miss pool, but not as much as I thought I would. I think thatís because I always treated it like a fun job. I rarely played for fun-fun. They say all good things come to an end. I had over 50 good years of it and a few not so good last few years, so I really canít complain about it. Johnnyt

Johnnyt,
I don't know if this is the end for you or not but I like the way you're dealing with your equipment.

If you make it over to Louisiana (new Orleans) be sure and let me know. It would be great to meet you and share a Muffaletta or some other artery-clogging, New Orleans food.

Maybe we can try and scare up a couple of landscapers for some partners 8 ball on the bar box while you are here for one last hurrah.

JoeyA

pfduser
09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Hope you're not giving up Az also! I enjoy your posts. You have my respect Sir.

Johnnyt
09-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Johnnyt,
I don't know if this is the end for you or not but I like the way you're dealing with your equipment.

If you make it over to Louisiana (new Orleans) be sure and let me know. It would be great to meet you and share a Muffaletta or some other artery-clogging, New Orleans food.

Maybe we can try and scare up a couple of landscapers for some partners 8 ball on the bar box while you are here for one last hurrah.

JoeyA

Thank you for the invite and the kind words. Johnnyt

Johnnyt
09-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Hope you're not giving up Az also! I enjoy your posts. You have my respect Sir.

Thank you. Nah, I'm not leaving AZ...I would make too many people happy. :). Johnnyt

grover
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM

if your going to be in south fl stop by grovers.

Mark Griffin
09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Johnnyt,

I feel your pain. I keep thinking I am gonna go practice and play - after 15 minutes I am unable to concentrate or enjoy it.

I always felt 'related' to you - probably from your Alaskan memories. You are a couple of years older (I am pushing 67) - and I can see where I might offload a lot of my pool stuff- not tomorrow, but someday in the not too distant future. Life is funny - when we might get the time to enjoy what we thought we might like - we are unable to really enjoy it.

I hope you and your wife enjoy your little vacation. I think you should go to a nice restaurant, walk in and enjoy a very nice 'mellow' meal - maybe a little wine; reminisce about the grand times you have enjoyed, remember some of the people you have met - be thankful for what you have done and seen.

And - best of all - I want you to call me and I would like to treat you to this meal. Just to let you know many of us have enjoyed your stories. And you don't have to really 'know' someone - to be a friend.

Good Luck Buddy!

Mark Griffin
702-835-2000 cell (0r text if you prefer)

lfigueroa
09-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Well, I don't know what's up with all that, but it sounds sad.

I wish you well on your new chapter in life, Johnny.

Lou Figueroa

Kid Dynomite
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
You will be MISSED!!!

KD

pooladdiction
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Do whatchya gotta do. I always enjoy your posts.

Cuebuddy
09-08-2013, 05:49 PM
It seems like just yesterday you were battling with a tobacco habit. Many of us hung with you while you whipped cigarettes. I like your updates on aging with pool and know we all have the same road to travel. Have fun on your trip and check in when your on the road.

pt109
09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Your relationship with the game is changing, Johnny.
....but it doesn't have to be goodbye.
Go to a few tournaments and give us reports....your insight can be valuable when you
no longer have the urge to compete.....your view becomes more objective.

And those places you're donating stuff to?....give them some pointers.

Regards
pt

Majic
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM

what three states will you be traveling to johnny? let us know if you make it to NC. do you have any pics of the demolition of the table to show us? Have a nice adventure and I hope all works out.

YubaCushion
09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I hope your new deal goes well. Old people are cool.

Nine ... corner
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I hope your new deal goes well. Old people are cool.

Damn right! All the best to you Johnnyt. Look forward to future posts letting us know what's cookin'. :)

Gunn_Slinger
09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Hope one day to read a book of yours, you have a great
way of telling a story, I would enjoy reading it.

Badbeat13
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Makes me sad to read this Sir. I hope you get to keep playing from time to time and well enough to suit you. I hope you keep posting on AZB, because I enjoy your posts.

Best wishes to you johnnyt, no matter what you choose to do.

GreenFeltguy
09-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm 68 and won't be long behind you on the retirement from pool, plan on taking my cue for the last 30 years in the casket with me. I honestly believe that cue won and loss as much money as any cue ever has, I've bet high for over 55 years in pool, might be time to hang it up like you did, really hope you and the wife enjoy your remaining years, getting old is " not for sissies " !

Johnnyt
09-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and Mark G. I will give you a call, not for the meal but because I will enjoy talking to you. Johnnyt

rtbbf
09-08-2013, 07:44 PM
JohnnyT be the local weekly Tournament director....help the younger guys

3RAILKICK
09-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Best wishes Johnny. Good idea on the slate stepping stones.

There's a saying...'If your'e going to be a bear...be a Grizzly.'

Johnny-you are a Grizzly.

Take care

ps: I hope you will continue to keep us current on the overseas women poolplayers.

Cuebuddy
09-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Best wishes Johnny. Good idea on the slate stepping stones.

There's a saying...'If your'e going to be a bear...be a Grizzly.'

Johnny-you are a Grizzly.

Take care

ps: I hope you will continue to keep us current on the overseas women poolplayers.

I would say anyone Johnny's age that can kick a Valley's a$$ with a saw and a BFH still has a bit of Grizz left in him:cool:

irock
09-08-2013, 08:14 PM
JohnnyT before you get rid of your cues, enjoy time completely away from the game with your wife and friends, then see if you feel the passion again. I know all of us have had the love hate relationship with this pain in the azz game.

alphadog
09-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Jeez Johnny,most guys walk in the poolhall and say they hit a ball in months.And we find
that hard to believe!
Best of luck to you and yours,Jack

rayjay
09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Johnny, you're the kinda guy that lives life one adventure (or two or three) at a time. Enjoy the new one! There's some 7' Diamonds at Doc's in Albuquerque. Come back and let us know how it went. :cool:

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 01:43 AM

There is a good chance you will get your wish about a bio or I might write a novel about the two pool playing women detectives/bounty hunters again. I started writing a bio about five years ago and made a mistake of letting my family read the first few chapters. They asked me not to have it published when it was done...so I stopped writing it. They were afraid some of the things I talked about could still get me pulled in for questioning with the new big thing being solving cold cases, plus it doesn't paint a pretty picture of me back in the day. Johnnyt

Toncam
09-09-2013, 02:38 AM
They asked me not to have it published when it was done...so I stopped writing it. They were afraid some of the things I talked about could still get me pulled in for questioning with the new big thing being solving cold cases, plus it doesn't paint a pretty picture of me back in the day. Johnnyt

All the best to you in whatever direction you go in and if you ever feel the need to make something "Fall off the back of a truck", you can count me in ! :eek::grin:
Us Queens boys got to stick together, lol.

voiceofreason
09-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Never say never..

I "retired" five years ago and yet, here I am.. back playing again!

Good luck in whatever you do and best wishes!

vor..

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 03:36 AM
All the best to you in whatever direction you go in and if you ever feel the need to make something "Fall off the back of a truck", you can count me in ! :eek::grin:
Us Queens boys got to stick together, lol.

I made a lot of boxes of cigarettes and booze fall off the trucks back in the day, and the docks...forget about it. The airport belonged to the Queens mob for the most part and was off limits for the most part. I hung out in Brooklyn, South Ozone Park, East NY, and Sheepshead Bay. I lived on Long Island. Some of the guys that came in my poolroom were Julie Klein, Tammy Morella (knocked the brown bomber down), Jack Duffy, and many of the harness drivers to name a few. Johnnyt

Kickin' Chicken
09-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Johnny;

Your perspective is important.

I admire you.

best,
brian kc

poolandpokerman
09-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Good luck on your retirement from pool, we have 7 foot Diamonds here in Orlando, if you would like to come over some time let me know and we will play some. Tom

jay helfert
09-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Today was kind of a sad day for me. I packed up my three playing cues and big case ave gave my round cue stand with eight cues to a friend. He got three two-piece, one jumper, three one-piece, and a snooker cue in it. I gave away all my other cues and cases along with videos, books, and other pool related stuff to my daughters and granddaughters, as they still play. I’m going to look around locally for a youth center that doesn’t have money to buy new stuff for their pool tables. I have four sets of Aramith, four sets of off brand, and about a dozen CB’s. My Valley had been out in the weather for seven years and was in bad shape so I took a sledge and power saw to it. Using the pieces of slate for stepping-stones in the backyard.

I’m going to take the wife on a little three-state trip when it cools down a bit in FL. I’m going to bring my cues and make a few stops in poolrooms that have Diamond 7’ tables just to make sure I’m really done. I miss pool, but not as much as I thought I would. I think that’s because I always treated it like a fun job. I rarely played for fun-fun. They say all good things come to an end. I had over 50 good years of it and a few not so good last few years, so I really can’t complain about it. Johnnyt

Don't worry Johnny, "Old pool players never die, they just lose their balls!" :D

JAM
09-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Yes, Johnny, there is life after pool. ;)

I don't think you should label this thread as "Sad Day for Me"; rather, "New Day for Me" would be more apropros. :smile:

Change is good. Sometimes people can't let go of things out of habit or repetition. One of the best experiences in my life was driving cross-country with Keith to an IPT tournament in Vegas. Seeing the pristine cornfields from Ohio to Iowa, the blue skies that never ended in Iowa, the mother and baby mountain goat in the Rocky Mountains, a rain storm at a distance in Arizona, and the beautiful horse ranches in Texas and Oklahoma, man, I hope I can do it again someday. :cool:

Yes, Johnny, there *really* is life after pool. :wink2:

Pushout
09-09-2013, 06:19 AM
All the best to you, Johnny!! Take it one day at a time, you may change your mind about some of it:wink:

PINKLADY
09-09-2013, 06:23 AM
don't go!

we are going to need you & Tate @ Mosconi in your red-white-blue!

CreeDo
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
I hope you don't totally pack it in Johnny... you might not shoot full speed every rack anymore,
but I bet every once in a while you can put on a show. This weekend I played an old guy, pretty sure
near 70, dentures + glasses etc. I was set to wreck him 5-0 in a tournament and suddenly he made
the most unholy runout out of nowhere, slicing in thin cuts like he had hawk eyes. Broke and ran
the next one too. I tell ya, there's nothing cooler than the old guy who looks harmless and suddenly
you realize "oh shit, this guy can play".

I bet you got some surprises in store for the kids in those three states.

KoolKat9Lives
09-09-2013, 06:55 AM
She's STILL married to you? ;)

Even if the arthritis is hampering your game, and you can't run/drink 6 packs anymore, can't you still play when it's a "good day"? I bet you had tears in your eyes when the sledge fell.

Many of us used to play/do better at many things and it's a bit frustrating to do so now at a lower level. But it's the love of the game, right? Keep your favorite cue buddy.

NYC cue dude
09-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Johnnyt,

I feel your pain. I keep thinking I am gonna go practice and play - after 15 minutes I am unable to concentrate or enjoy it.

I always felt 'related' to you - probably from your Alaskan memories. You are a couple of years older (I am pushing 67) - and I can see where I might offload a lot of my pool stuff- not tomorrow, but someday in the not too distant future. Life is funny - when we might get the time to enjoy what we thought we might like - we are unable to really enjoy it.

I hope you and your wife enjoy your little vacation. I think you should go to a nice restaurant, walk in and enjoy a very nice 'mellow' meal - maybe a little wine; reminisce about the grand times you have enjoyed, remember some of the people you have met - be thankful for what you have done and seen.

And - best of all - I want you to call me and I would like to treat you to this meal. Just to let you know many of us have enjoyed your stories. And you don't have to really 'know' someone - to be a friend.

Good Luck Buddy!

Mark Griffin
702-835-2000 cell (0r text if you prefer)

A very nice gesture Mark. It's not easy getting older. As I approach 50, I notice some physical differences within myself. The memory isn't as sharp. Neither is my eyesight. My stamina isn't quite as robust, either. I thank God everyday, though, that I have a passion to live and enjoy life.

Randy Goldwater

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 08:15 AM
She's STILL married to you? ;)

Even if the arthritis is hampering your game, and you can't run/drink 6 packs anymore, can't you still play when it's a "good day"? I bet you had tears in your eyes when the sledge fell.

Many of us used to play/do better at many things and it's a bit frustrating to do so now at a lower level. But it's the love of the game, right? Keep your favorite cue buddy.

Yep, 47 years we've been married...the lucky women.
Even after me losing all this weight my lower back tightens up after 10 minutes of shooting. If I continue to shoot I can't get out of bed the next day. I can't make a closed bridge for the shots I need one with the arthritis. I'm going to lose another 10-15 LBS and see if that helps the back some. It's no fun for me being back to a weak "B" player. I'd rather just not play. Johnnyt

Joe T
09-09-2013, 08:35 AM
JohnnyT, Have sledgehammer, will travel ;)
I feel your sadness with dropping the physical game bud but please keep hittin'em here!
All positive babe, all positive :)

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 09:11 AM
JohnnyT, Have sledgehammer, will travel ;)
I feel your sadness with dropping the physical game bud but please keep hittin'em here!
All positive babe, all positive :)

Thanks Joe. John

Toncam
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I made a lot of boxes of cigarettes and booze fall off the trucks back in the day, and the docks...forget about it. The airport belonged to the Queens mob for the most part and was off limits for the most part. I hung out in Brooklyn, South Ozone Park, East NY, and Sheepshead Bay. I lived on Long Island. Some of the guys that came in my poolroom were Julie Klein, Tammy Morella (knocked the brown bomber down), Jack Duffy, and many of the harness drivers to name a few. Johnnyt

Where was your poolroom and what was it called ?
Harness drivers, lol. They should call them "Harness Thieves", god they were bad. Carmine Abbatielo, The Dancers, Henri Fillion, a few others whose names slip me.

pwd72s
09-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Thank you. Nah, I'm not leaving AZ...I would make too many people happy. :). Johnnyt

LOL! Johnny, stick around. I've been struggling with a health issue, haven't touched a cue in weeks. Hoping to get better though.

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Where was your poolroom and what was it called ?
Harness drivers, lol. They should call them "Harness Thieves", god they were bad. Carmine Abbatielo, The Dancers, Henri Fillion, a few others whose names slip me.

Insko was one of the leader's of the pack and king of the boat races. A lot of races were mapped out on one of the tables in the back of the room around 5pm...post time was 8pm lol. East Islip Billiards on Main Street in East Islip LI, NY. Johnnyt

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
LOL! Johnny, stick around. I've been struggling with a health issue, haven't touched a cue in weeks. Hoping to get better though.

Hope you get well soon. Johnnyt

Toncam
09-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Insko was one of the leader's of the pack and king of the boat races. A lot of races were mapped out on one of the tables in the back of the room around 5pm...post time was 8pm lol. East Islip Billiards on Main Street in East Islip LI, NY. Johnnyt

Del Insko ! My father cursed him a few times also, lol.
I got a friend of mine from the Island who used to be a pool nut way back in the 70,s and was always in the rooms out there, i will mention the name of the room to him and see if he knows it.

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Did you read any of my short stories that were published on Amazon (amazon shorts)? If not I'll be glad to send you one when I dig the old PC out that all the Amazon Shorts are on and see if I can e-mail it to you. Just pm me your e-mal addy. Johnnyt

punter
09-09-2013, 10:09 PM

I've always enjoyed the honesty of your posts Johnnyt. Keep on postin!!

I had a friend from Mount Vernon, NY, who was a horse racing fan, and he talked about Insko, IIRC, (friends name was Frank Capello, he also played pool).

Hope you enjoy your trip!!

Dunnn51
09-10-2013, 01:55 AM
This is sad. Hope all works out for the best for you!
I have been re-introduced to the game and know I still love it! This thread made me think of how this affection will end someday for myself.My hope in that regard is that I will be like the old man in the introduction of the movie,"A River Runs Through It." His love was fly-fishing a favorite stretch of water he fished all his life. :)