PDA

View Full Version : Girl Commentators Ö The Votes Are In ... (Tally, Tally) ...Yes!

sunnyone
09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Dear Gentle Readers,

Recently I caught a few minutes of the Ginky Memorial at Steinway. Besides featuring a fine, and free, stream, it showcased a girl behind the mic. Didnít catch Gailís last name, but I believe she is affianced to Tony Robles.

Gail explained from the start that she was an amateur player, didnít pretend to be anything more. But she seemed to have picked up some pool chops from competing in local contests. And, I imagine, from Tony.

Beyond her (to my amateur ear) knowledgeable comments, Gailís voice was melodic -- it implied a sense of humor and conveyed the notion that fun was just about to break out.

In other words Ö Gail engaged us, informed us, amused us Ö and invited us into her merry world.

My takeaway? Pool could prosper from more girls at more levels. No, not the Bonus Ball girls! You tweeners!

Music appreciation is my life,

Sunny

P. S. A suggestion Ö letís not become too enamored with celebrity-inspired portmanteaux such as Brangelina, Bennifer, etc. On this particular Ginky stream, the Tony-cited mashup of Tony and Gail -- Toenail -- manages to be sort of cute and sort of creepy at the same time. Reassess, please.

P. P. S. A couple of pals have commented on how few responses there are to my ostensibly brilliant threads. Speculation is that many of my posts are read mostly by unwary site-rookies.

I can imagine a typical chap -- I can sympathetically imagine this unsuspecting newcomer -- innocently sauntering about ... checking out this post and that post. Then! Gasp! He encounters one from La Sunny and he flees -- Edvard Munch-like -- gaping and gasping in horror.

(An apology is probably thus in order to forum execs for my having driven so many of your potential contributing members into medically-stipulated structured settings, where -- one hopes! -- counseling, appropriate meds and, well, a dose of good luck, will speed their recoveries. Ever so sorry!)

oldplayer
09-09-2013, 08:47 AM
I heard the same commentary and she was quite refreshing and "bubbly". we need more of that! and congrats go out to tony for snaring one that is into pool. :thumbup:

Bigtruck
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I heard the same commentary and she was quite refreshing and "bubbly". we need more of that! and congrats go out to tony for snaring one that is into pool. :thumbup:

I agree,. Gail Glazebrook is awesome in the booth. Natural and refreshing to listen to. She did a match with me at the 2011 Ultimate 10 Ball in Frisco.

I would like to see more of the Ladies in the commentary booth.

Ray

Gunn_Slinger
09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry Sunny, I really thought it was sad that they put
a woman in the booth that's claim was "she did not know
that much about pool".
Lots and lots of talented women out there that
can talk and walk pool.
Hate to see women take a step back.

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I agree that Gail and Tony were very good. They played off each other perfect. I enjoyed it also. Johnnyt

Nostroke
09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I agree,. Gail Glazebrook is awesome in the booth. Natural and refreshing to listen to. She did a match with me at the 2011 Ultimate 10 Ball in Frisco.

I would like to see more of the Ladies in the commentary booth.

Ray

More ladies like Gail but a few ladies have been real bombs in the booth (as have many men including one who is a semi regular)

Johnnyt
09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I'd like to hear J. Lee and any of her road partners (Women). I bet they could tell some good road stories and they know pool. Johnnyt

Bigtruck
09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
I'd like to hear J. Lee and any of her road partners (Women). I bet they could tell some good road stories and they know pool. Johnnyt

Jeanette sat in with me at 4 Bears. She's amazing in the booth. Very professional, go figure.

Ray

Cornerman
09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Gail explained from the start that she was an amateur player, didnít pretend to be anything more. But she seemed to have picked up some pool chops from competing in local contests. And, I imagine, from Tony.

She happens to also be a former National Women's Singles Champion as well as a (the?) team leader of the former National Women's Team Champion (Kiss of Death).

That is, she was being more than humble.

Mark Griffin
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
As mentioned, Gail is an 'accomplished' amateur and a student of the game. Sorry I missed her commentary, but I would think that it would have been top notch.

BTW Sunny - I read (and enjoy) every one of your posts. Sometimes a little 'high-brow' - but always thought provoking. Your vocabulary is quite impressive!

Mark Griffin

Nostroke
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Her comments on the difference between playing on a team and playing as a single were VERY well stated and thought provoking. I was just pretty clueless on the difference but she made it crystal clear and all in all probably the most useful thing i have heard said on a stream period.

It was regarding the significantly increased pressure playing on a team. I cant do justice to her words so that's all im going to say.

Ghosst
09-09-2013, 10:53 AM
... ... ...

bdorman
09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I watched a match where Ewa Lawrence did commentary and she was fantastic! During the game she was all business; what's the objective of this next shot?, where are the problem balls?, what are the shooter's choices?, etc. She saved the "color" for the time between racks.

And her voice is a beautiful as she is.

pt109
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Gentle Readers,

Aha, I just figured out who sunnyone is....
...the Gentle Reader gave it away.....

She's Isaac Asimov's granddaughter.

:yeah:

GailGNYC
09-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone!

First and foremost, Frank, thanks for pointing this out to me! It's been so long since I've been here I can't even figure out my old password anymore. lol

Sunnyone and everyone else that commented, thank you for taking the time to say such nice things. I do enjoy commentating and try to keep it professional and informative but enjoyable and lighthearted too. You made my day so thank you. And for the record, my full name is Gail Glazebrook and yes Sunnyone, Tony is my fiance.

Now if everyone can just forget the whole 'Tonail' thing, I won't have to leave him before we even marry. :thumbup: Thanks again!

scottjen26
09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I also thought Jennifer Baretta did a great job in a recent match I watched. She's a very knowledgeable player and was spot on with her analysis of safety and positional options...
Scott