PDA

View Full Version : On Line Video Commentary Listen Up !!!

Island Drive
09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Since my early days working with Pat Fleming and doing color commentary, and then furthering that area with use of our community college, I'd like to make a suggestion on improving what's already in place. Next time you have and event, have tryouts for commentary. Have them record their own dialogue of the match as if they ''were'' doing the live commentary. We may think we are good, others may also, but in reality we may suck. Since the Waldo Canyon Fire here in Colorado Springs, and interesting fact came to fruition quickly. The story of homes burning and peoples lives being changed started sounding like a broken record with our five o'clock and 10 o'clock newscasters that were and have been with the local stations for years. What came of it, out in the field was this. The rookies of course were unable to sit in the studio all comfy with coffee and a/c while others/newbies were doing the heavy lifting in the field where ''real'' matters were happening. There were a couple gals and guys that did and Exceptional job in communicating and explaining and all that. What transpired was they ended up becoming the 5 and 10 o'clock announcers, because when the studio newsmen were put in the same situation as the ones in the field, their true character and abilities were EXPOSED, they sucked and couldn't think outside the box.

Ghosst
09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
It would be nice if they understood the difference between actual commentary and color commentary and how they work together. Professional commentating requires money be spent that just isn't in the budget for most broadcasts.

bdorman
09-09-2013, 10:44 AM
It sounds to me like the newbies had better training.

The old newsmen may have done it for more years...but that just means they've had a lot of practice at doing it wrong.

Island Drive
09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
It sounds to me like the newbies had better training.

The old newsmen may have done it for more years...but that just means they've had a lot of practice at doing it wrong.

I think its allot luck/personality and non tangibles that surface. If anyone remembers the Camel Pro Tour, the pro announcer Tommy was Great. He had the right amount of education, training etc. with total ignorance of our game. He evolved, got better and inserted professional humor tact and planning in his delivery. Its No different than a song or a movie or a concert, till its put thru the public eye, the true product will never be found/seen/heard or felt. NFL, some announcers are perfect, others...........so so, ya just Never know what'll work. Thinking that you do and putting all you stuff in one basket is stupid. Who would of thought McDonalds would sell Burritos?