PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Billiards.

Blue Hog ridr
09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Ok, we all read the threads re what is wrong with pool.

This past weekend, a wall Eye Tourney was held on a Lake, (Last Mountain Lake) approx a 45 minute drive from my city.

Professional anglers from all over Canada and the USA.

My friend, who is and his entire family are avid anglers are out camping at one of the parks where the derby originated the weekend before.

The anglers are already there a week ahead of time to get their hot spots marked and practice.

My friend is chatting with one of the anglers from the USA, sponsored in part by Berkley.

His boat is worth 75 K. His electronics are worth approx 100 K. Some of these guys have covered boat trailers pulled by semis.

He travels the fishing circuit. All his expenses are paid for. If he is in the top 20%, his wages are $250 K. If he makes it into the top 5%, his bonus doubles his wages.

Now, you know how fishermen like to embellish a tad on the fish stories but providing that this guy was telling the truth, its pretty amazing that Pro Anglers can get this type of sponsorship and we are lagging a bit in the billiard industry.

A lot of money in fishing equipment, boats, rods, reels lures and line.

Not trying to post a stupid thread and maybe the comparison between the two are way off base as far as sports are concerned, but just wondering as to why Pro Billiards can't seem to get a bit of the action re a decent cash flow.

Its most likely more difficult to get yourself some good sponsorship in fishing re numbers of anglers as opposed to Pro Players.

For every one of these guys, there are probably what ever number of struggling anglers out there as well, just as in the Billiard industry.

We have our top pros and the rest seem to struggle as well. I'm almost shocked and yet not at the numbers thrown out there.

Probably for the most part, just wanted to relate a little story to the members here.

I have a decent fishing boat, good electronics from my finder to trolling motor, yet most days couldn't land a fish if my life depended on it.

Apparently I need fishing lessons more than I need pool lessons.

hang-the-9
09-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I have no idea why fishing is a major sport, most of the time you use a radar to find the fish and then you feed them something. You may as well make getting kids to buy ice cream from a truck a sport.

They should make a combination fishing/baseball tournament and you can fit in 4-5 other activities in the downtime while you wait for something to happen. Doing your taxes, maybe a haircut.

StonedCEO
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Knew a total stoner/slacker in high school/early 20's...kid was the definition of going no place in life. Moved away, went home a couple years ago for a friends 40'th birthday party and run into this guy at a bar. Catching up, curious what he did with his life, turns out he became a professional bass fisherman. Was still trying to wrap my head around that one while he was driving away in a S500 Benz.

JoeyA
09-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Blue Hog ridr,
Fishing is every bit as challenging as playing pool in my opinion.

Looking at what I spend on fishing versus what I spend on playing pool is like day and night. Fishing is far more expensive for me than playing pool.

With pool, you can get set up fairly inexpensively and you can hang with the big boys at just about any national or international tournament.

With fishing, if you set your self up (equipment wise) similarly to what you do in pool, you will probably break the bank.

After you are into it a while, the fishing tools get more and more expensive and it seems that you never have all of the tackle you really want or need. The latest versions of GPS which cost as much as a pool cue, don't last as long as a pool cue and certainly don't hold their value and have to be replaced if periodically. Fishing rods come and go and even if you maintain expensive reels, they die a natural death or you have to make necessary repairs.

I think the bottom line is fishing takes in a whole lot more money than does the pool industry.

We don't want to talk about boats and their cost for purchase or maintenance (BOAT= BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND).

The truth is when I am fishing, I enjoy it more than I do playing pool.

Pool is just easier, more accessible, less expensive and every now and then an old guy like me can find some money laying on the floor. (I've never done that fishing, not even once and I fish better than I play pool) not bragging, just telling it like it is.

Hell, I think I'm going to challenge Shane Van Boening to some speckle trout fishing. I know he can fish but he might even get a spot on my water. (Putuporshutup and Capt Kingfish can't get no spot.) (Me no compete with professional fishermen)

JoeyA

Banks
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Knew a total stoner/slacker in high school/early 20's...kid was the definition of going no place in life. Moved away, went home a couple years ago for a friends 40'th birthday party and run into this guy at a bar. Catching up, curious what he did with his life, turns out he became a professional bass fisherman. Was still trying to wrap my head around that one while he was driving away in a S500 Benz.

Yeah, but that's just it. Rapala and all of the other companies are vying for attention in a sport/recreation where people spend ten thousand just to step foot in the waters. It's been a while, but iirc, this book was a pretty good read..

greyghost
09-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I have no idea why fishing is a major sport, most of the time you use a radar to find the fish and then you feed them something. You may as well make getting kids to buy ice cream from a truck a sport.

They should make a combination fishing/baseball tournament and you can fit in 4-5 other activities in the downtime while you wait for something to happen. Doing your taxes, maybe a haircut.

you must not fish very much or are only fishing stocked ponds with hatchery fish.......because fishing is a very real skill set...it depends on the territory, the weather, the type of fish, lure, the way you can work the lure......and as for radar LMFAO. Thats not even taking into account in knowing how to cast on a dime not just with a fly rod but bait cast as well.

Spoken like a novice

by the way joey we should get together and wet the line sometime. I prefer fresh water because, well i catch too many fish as it is offshore lol.

Lonestar_jim
09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
BHR,

Pool doesn't have boats, motors, batteries, GPS, trolling motors, rods, reels, sunglasses, clothing, baits and so on to sell.

All we have are cues, balls, tables, cueing accessories and t-shirts.

I walk into a pool hall and pull a cue off the wall and play all day. If I go to the lake they don't have a boat there for me to use and fish all day. If they did, I would still spend $200 on rigging, bait and licenses.

Get rid of house cues and put a pro shop in every pool hall. :eek:

rayjay
09-09-2013, 03:55 PM
There's a bar/grill named Sportsman's on the San Juan river in NM that has two 7' tables. I used to pack an old sneaky when I went flyfishing, and after I turned 55, I tried to hit the Old Fart's Tourney on Thursday afternoons. Had lots of fun, terrorized 'em sometimes, lol. The group started dieing off and getting Alzheimers and the bar sold and all you could do on the tables anymore is get in a lot of trouble. I think what's amazing about pro fishing, is it gives lots of hope to the average Joe that thinks he can make really good money doing what he loves. I think fishing is the #1 recreational activity, is it not? Pool's in there somewhere, and I just gotta believe that there's an angle that hasn't been played yet to get the sponsorship it needs. I still like the idea of American Hustler as a reality show...it could work.

dimonsterb
09-09-2013, 04:13 PM

This past weekend, a wall Eye Tourney was held on a Lake, (Last Mountain Lake) approx a 45 minute drive from my city.

My friend, who is and his entire family are avid anglers are out camping at one of the parks where the derby originated the weekend before.

The anglers are already there a week ahead of time to get their hot spots marked and practice.

My friend is chatting with one of the anglers from the USA, sponsored in part by Berkley.

His boat is worth 75 K. His electronics are worth approx 100 K. Some of these guys have covered boat trailers pulled by semis.

He travels the fishing circuit. All his expenses are paid for. If he is in the top 20%, his wages are $250 K. If he makes it into the top 5%, his bonus doubles his wages.

Now, you know how fishermen like to embellish a tad on the fish stories but providing that this guy was telling the truth, its pretty amazing that Pro Anglers can get this type of sponsorship and we are lagging a bit in the billiard industry.

Not trying to post a stupid thread and maybe the comparison between the two are way off base as far as sports are concerned, but just wondering as to why Pro Billiards can't seem to get a bit of the action re a decent cash flow.

Its most likely more difficult to get yourself some good sponsorship in fishing re numbers of anglers as opposed to Pro Players.

For every one of these guys, there are probably what ever number of struggling anglers out there as well, just as in the Billiard industry.

We have our top pros and the rest seem to struggle as well. I'm almost shocked and yet not at the numbers thrown out there.

Probably for the most part, just wanted to relate a little story to the members here.

I have a decent fishing boat, good electronics from my finder to trolling motor, yet most days couldn't land a fish if my life depended on it.

I fish in a lot of semi-pro leagues and I make a good bit of money doing it!! But it takes a lot more than your electronics and feeding them something(we have to use artificial baits) if you think that electronics will find you all the bass you need to win go out and buy a boat you're going to be the next millionaire;) ... But really on the wall-eye tour it doesn't pay that much so I have no idea what the hell he was talking about!!! Bass tournaments pay the most and nothing like what that guys is spouting off about!! I love fishing and I love to play pool, But for some reason my wife only likes it when I'm fishing because I make more money and she worries about girls at the bar... Both are challenging but at least with pool you have A LOT more control over the out come! Some days I catch them good and others I blank and that goes for pro's to....Well that's my two cents

dimonsterb
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
BHR,

Pool doesn't have boats, motors, batteries, GPS, trolling motors, rods, reels, sunglasses, clothing, baits and so on to sell.

All we have are cues, balls, tables, cueing accessories and t-shirts.

I walk into a pool hall and pull a cue off the wall and play all day. If I go to the lake they don't have a boat there for me to use and fish all day. If they did, I would still spend $200 on rigging, bait and licenses.

Get rid of house cues and put a pro shop in every pool hall. :eek:

I do think you might be on to something... But the people taking a date out would turn into an expensive date(better be getting to home plate:grin:)

Tramp Steamer
09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Why not combine the two? :)

Tickets
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
The fishing i do isn't just sitting there.

I have to find the fish, put my boat 150m up current, work out the drift and estimate how to get my jig to the fish. It's very hard to master.

Then the type of fishing is sometimes equivalent to a gym work out.

It takes mental toughness when you get a cramp believe me.

http://youtu.be/UMhN0lxOcX0

http://youtu.be/Y_yB_yu9yxM

chadsens
09-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Hey Terry... seeing as the pool hall is closing.... maybe we should sell our equipment and take up fishing.... wonder if they have buckets at the marina? Get your butt to nicks on saturday for one last night of pool and beers... wonder if I can get Jose to ban me before they close for good haha.

Blue Hog ridr
09-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Chad, I take my own buckets with me.

I will be there for the Last 9 Ball tourney and probably make an effort to close the Hall out that night.

Yes guys, we are losing another Pool Hall. This time in Regina Saskatchewan.

For us, it is the last one in a long line of Halls to close their doors in our little city. Chad lives there as well.

If you ever run into Chad at a tourney, don't let that smile and his bucket of beer under his arm fool you.

Sheila and I took Jose out on the boat with us one day. We figured that there was a small chance that he might start treating everyone like a human being for a change.

Now that the hall is closing, it was almost a wasted effort. We had a good day anyway.
Jose is a totally different person away from work. Not a half bad guy.

I agree with the fellow AZ members who also fish. It takes much more effort and knowledge than just dropping a line over the side. Very frustrating at times.

Fish finders also lie a great deal. They are used more for finding the proper depths, ledges etc. Mark the hot spots with the GPS and you can find them much easier next time.

The little pictures of the fishies swimming thru the sonar don't do you a lot of good but fun to look at. Most of the fish I catch sneak up on me and aren't even on the screen when they hit.

I have an underwater camera too. Fun to play with but doesn't make you catch fish either.

I realize that there is a ton more equipment and potential sales involved with fishing over the Billiard Industry.

I guess I am just lamenting the fact when I see the money poured into one and there seems to be not much anything else one can do, short of praying to get some money flowing into the billiards end of it.

If I had the answers, then Mark G would probably hire me. I love my pool in the winter league season as I love fishing in the summer. Just torn between the two.

And as Chad mentioned, we are losing our only hall in one more week so that was maybe part of why I started the thread. Not even enuff money to keep our hall open.

The building is owned by the hall operator and for the most part will be expanded to make his wife's furniture store larger.

There is talk about the owner leasing a small portion of the building out to hold 2 snooker tables and 6, nine footers and it will be paid for with membership dues but I'm not holding my breath on it until I see it happen. An idea like that is great but also has the potential to turn into a lot of in fighting and a cluster FK as well.

SmoothStroke
09-09-2013, 05:36 PM
What it takes to be consistent and successful fishing.
Put aside the boat, tackle, fuel, electronics, lures, rods, reels, foul weather gear, hypothermic clothing, light clothing, bags, boots, lights, knives, hooks by the hundreds, tying materials, vice, change line every week on 10 or 20 reels . I can continue with 100 more items.
For ocean fishing you have to study the weather, what weather is coming and what weather has just passed (wind is a huge factor) the moon phase, water temperature, structure (find a rock pile, sandbar, wreck, in 500 sq miles or more where fish may be sitting on to ambush prey) Barometric pressure rising and falling, heavy barometer drop, slow drop..Bottomed out and rising. The type of bait in the area and where the above mentioned will push the bait. If you are lucky enough to guess right you may catch a fish.....with luck it will be the winning fish. You have to be a scientist.
I laugh when people say fishing is easy, sit and stare at a worm. I will take anyone and give them the key to my boat and say, take me to the fish if it's such a hanger.
I have 100K in rods, reels, lures and misc tackle.
Last year my winnings were 165 K
This year is not over and the best tourneys are coming as we speak. I have passed last years winnings as of present.
I am sure much is the same for the freshwater guys.
I still love pool

Blue Hog ridr
09-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Wow, just changing out line once a week. I know there must be a reason for doing this, maybe just for saltwater fishing. If this wasn't a pool forum I would be pressing you for more info.

Feel free to PM me if you want to pass on any valuable info my way.

Like I mentioned, just owning the proper equipment is a start. I'm on the water but still feel for the most part that I am just floating around.

There is a ton of great UTube info available but it just isn't the type of instructional material that will put fish on the end of your line.

PM this stuff if you don't mind. As in, where did you get your start etc. I want your fishing life story right from the start. Hahaha.

row21097
09-09-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't get the fishing pool analogy.fishermen trying to outsmart a bunch of pea brained, cold blooded anphibians..................... oh wait.

Nostroke
09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I think the major thing is there's probably 200 times more equip/accessories sales for fishing than pool

Blue Hog ridr
09-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Hahaha. But you do realize that there are fish involved in both sports.

Needing weight
09-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I am an avid pool player and fishermen. I am also a Realtor here in FL. It Is said that FL is the golfing capital of the world. There are more golf courses per capita in FL than anywhere else in the world.

Get this, the fishing industry's retail sales dwarf the golfing industry's retail sales in Florida.

I personally do not consider pool or fishing a sport. I consider both of them to be hobbies or activities.

The hobby of fishing requires many more consumables then does the hobby of playing pool.

Unfortunately Pool's money could never mirror the fishing industries money

Maniac
09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I didn't read all the threads, but my opinion is that professional pool is intertwined with a bunch of players/promoters/industry leaders/organizations all hell bent to stomp on each others nutsacks and grab what they can get while the gettin's not totally gone!!!

Fishin'........well, that's just a bunch of good 'ol boys!!!

Maniac

Maniac
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Hahaha. But you do realize that there are fish involved in both sports.

Yeah.....and stink bait too!!!

Maniac

backplaying
09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Fishing is a multibillion dollar industry. When Bassmasters has a tournament it brings in millions to the local economy. Just like many sports, the top 20 are the ones who really make big money on the bass trail. Kevin Van Dam, being the best bass fisherman ever, makes millions with winnings and endorsements. Without sponsors most wouldn't have the funds to even get started on tour. I have been a guide on Falcon lake, Toledo Bend and a striper guide on Smith lake and will start back full time next year, as I sold my house and am in the process of moving on the lake. I have rods and reels for different species, so, I have around 75 and a utility building for just fishing equipment.. Guides here get 350.00 a day and I know of one guide who does 300 trips a year and stays booked up. For you who have never tried fishing, there is no greater treatment for the mind, ask Shannon Dalton and Marge. My fishing ability could give my pool ability the 6 out.

joelpope
09-09-2013, 07:16 PM

While there is a bunch of money in fishing both from a non pro expense to pro income with BASS being well know many may not realize that the winner take all Calcutta money in a major billfish tournament is way way into the 6 figures. SKA is another big buck tour.

Having said that, the bass fisherman that said he had $100k in electronics on his bass boat is full of crap. I owned a charter business, have a 200 ton Master commerci.al license and have had a series of offshore boats ranging from twin deisel fly bridge sport fish to big fast center consoles.

My last boat had a black box color bottom machine with dual transducer that read to 2,500 feet, gps, vhf, 8dB antenna, 36 mile open array color radar, interfaced auto pilot, fuel management system, high end stereo all of which was top of the line like Furuno NavNet & iCom and I had less than half that invested

So as a starter, I would discount whatever he said by at least half

YubaCushion
09-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I think the major thing is there's probably 200 times more equip/accessories sales for fishing than pool

This is true. Almost anybody can load up on top of the line stuff,feel like a pro and pose. You cant do that in pool. The equivalent would be a Megabass set up. 1800$ for rod, reel, line, and buying a 10,000 Hercek. There is more branding in fishing too. People who don't fish wear fishing stuff. Kinda like Independent truck company. If someone was selling t-shirt's with Balabushka on em they would sell a few just cause. Hell,Tte 8 ball. Look how popular that is. All the same people you would meet at a pool hall, you would meet on a river.

JoeyA
09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Fishing is a multibillion dollar industry. When Bassmasters has a tournament it brings in millions to the local economy. Just like many sports, the top 20 are the ones who really make big money on the bass trail. Kevin Van Dam, being the best bass fisherman ever, makes millions with winnings and endorsements. Without sponsors most wouldn't have the funds to even get started on tour. I have been a guide on Falcon lake, Toledo Bend and a striper guide on Smith lake and will start back full time next year, as I sold my house and am in the process of moving on the lake. I have rods and reels for different species, so, I have around 75 and a utility building for just fishing equipment.. Guides here get 350.00 a day and I know of one guide who does 300 trips a year and stays booked up. For you who have never tried fishing, there is no greater treatment for the mind, ask Shannon Dalton and Marge. My fishing ability could give my pool ability the 6 out.

Billy,
Is that $350 a day, PER PERSON?

I've noticed that many competent pool players also fish extremely well. Coincidence or parallels?

JoeyA

joelpope
09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Wow, just changing out line once a week. I know there must be a reason for doing this, maybe just for saltwater fishing. If this wasn't a pool forum I would be pressing you for more info.

Feel free to PM me if you want to pass on any valuable info my way.

Like I mentioned, just owning the proper equipment is a start. I'm on the water but still feel for the most part that I am just floating around.

There is a ton of great UTube info available but it just isn't the type of instructional material that will put fish on the end of your line.

PM this stuff if you don't mind. As in, where did you get your start etc. I want your fishing life story right from the start. Hahaha.
Pareto's Principle... The 80 20 rule

20% of the fisherman catch 80% of the fish

If you study the feeding habits of fish like you would study pool it doesn't take long to get into the 20%

Water flow, water temperature, presence of bait, light levels, cloud cover, ambush cover, water clarity, species specific feeding patterns, etc... Are all definable and predictable.

Catching is a fun part of fishing but better yet is that fish don't live in ugly places... Always nice to spend a day on the water.

Maniac
09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I've noticed that many competent pool players also fish extremely well. Coincidence or parallels?

JoeyA

I fish extremely well, but competent at playing pool........not so much!!!

Maniac (I just flat-out suck at pool)

Bambu
09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Fishin sure aint easy, theres lots to it. I'm still learning slow, but this year I finally caught my first trout!

Maniac
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Fishin sure aint easy, theres lots to it. I'm still learning slow but this year I finally caught my first trout!

I bet you were using a Bambu pole :thumbup:!!!

Maniac

bdorman
09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
It's simple math: millions more people fish than play pool. A couple of BassProShops locations probably sell more than the entire pool industry.

I play pool every day. I fish two days per week. But I've got a lot more invested in fishing than I ever will have in pool.

Grandpa wants to take the kids fishing? Great!

Grandpa wants to take the kids to the pool hall? Not on your life!

3RAILKICK
09-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Amazing aint it that $100 of Owner hooks, custom poured plastics for the morning, evening and mid-day bite, drop shot rigs, titanium bullet weights, split shot, hydrocarbon leader, spinner baits of various color, weight and leaf designs, and blah, blah, blah....can fit in a small popcorn bag.

And then you fish 'old water' from the back of the boat.....

but still a lot of fun.

...we just gotta get Walmart to sponsor some Ricky-Bobby pool tournaments..

Put_upor_shutup
09-09-2013, 08:34 PM
What it takes to be consistent and successful fishing.
Put aside the boat, tackle, fuel, electronics, lures, rods, reels, foul weather gear, hypothermic clothing, light clothing, bags, boots, lights, knives, hooks by the hundreds, tying materials, vice, change line every week on 10 or 20 reels . I can continue with 100 more items.
For ocean fishing you have to study the weather, what weather is coming and what weather has just passed (wind is a huge factor) the moon phase, water temperature, structure (find a rock pile, sandbar, wreck, in 500 sq miles or more where fish may be sitting on to ambush prey) Barometric pressure rising and falling, heavy barometer drop, slow drop..Bottomed out and rising. The type of bait in the area and where the above mentioned will push the bait. If you are lucky enough to guess right you may catch a fish.....with luck it will be the winning fish. You have to be a scientist.
I laugh when people say fishing is easy, sit and stare at a worm. I will take anyone and give them the key to my boat and say, take me to the fish if it's such a hanger.
I have 100K in rods, reels, lures and misc tackle.
Last year my winnings were 165 K
This year is not over and the best tourneys are coming as we speak. I have passed last years winnings as of present.
I am sure much is the same for the freshwater guys.
I still love pool

Where are u from?Billfishing?

ipoppa33
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
How much you spend all depends on how involved you get into your "hobby" be it fishing, pool or whatever. Some guys want the best of everything and others are happy with just a few things. In freshwater bass fishing some guys are into fast boats, so money goes into props and jackplates. Other guys get into electronics, so they are upgrading them every year or two. Some others get into customizing reels, so they are always getting the newest gear. Many get into custom baits, making or buying them. Me I'm mostly into rods, building the newest coolest and lightest.
In pool you don't need to spend that type of money because your needs are less. Yes you can spend mucho bucks on cues and cases. In pool at most you need 3 cues and a case. When I had my Ranger boat and was fishing tournaments I was carrying 20+ rods. Heck I carry at least 6 rods in my Hobie kayak.
Most of expensive items in pool are from custom makers, where in fishing they are from major vendors. Which makes it easier for the corporations to sponsor events and people.

I wish pool could get to the level of bass fishing, maybe someday.
Good thread.

Stan

Lonestar_jim
09-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice to see a lot of fishermen responding to this thread. I see a lot of you are getting hard nipples too. Now then lets give Bill Dance a standing ovation.

Pocket Billiards doesn't stand a chance.

I wonder if our great white hope knows how to tie a fisherman's knot or just heft a sword?

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 02:42 AM
I know how to tie a few good fisherman knots. That and a few good naval or survival knots.

I like the saying, If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.

And I have seen people do exactly that. Tie a million granny knots when one specific knot would have done the trick.

Seen people tie a ton of granny knots mooring their boat when a cleat hitch or a bow line and a rolling hitch would have worked much nicer.

Funny to watch them undo them later.

For you who have never tried fishing, there is no greater treatment for the mind,

I'll go with that one 100%. whether fishing from a boat or shore casting there is nothing better for your piece of mind or rejuvenating your body.

I love eating my catch, when I get ever so lucky and there is nothing more exciting when you can feel a nibble and you tease the bugger until you feel a bite and can set your hook. In the long run, catching and eating is a nice by product of a great day out regardless.

Since I bought the boat, it has done wonders for my wifes and my relationship. Its just one more common interest hobby that we got on to.
Oh, except for when she loses more lures in a day than most in a year. I guess thats what keeps the tackle shops in business. Almost keeping me broke. Funny that I now have to include a trip to the tackle shop as part of my daily routine and errands now.

We are planning a winter vacation this year. We haven't figured out where and I told her that I don't much care as long as there is a charter fishing boat available where ever that happens to be.

Here is a young lady that has apparently done this a couple of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWB22PyTt0U

voiceofreason
09-10-2013, 03:17 AM

It is the same in the UK.

It is simple maths. The fishing industry has a very large and constantly refreshing client base that have a continued and ongoing requirement for their goods, therefore the industry has a market need to directly market to its own users.

People that fish (whether for pleasure or not) require:

bait
tackle
fishing fees
other consumables etc

You can easily spend a £100 on bait, fees, tackle and other crap for a weekends fishing. Multiply that by millions of pleasure anglers and you can see where it is going.

The pool industry only really has three direct sources of revenue:

equipment - which generally lasts for and is kept for years
table times
bar spend

So it seeks outside funding, such as gambling companies etc, which is a reduced market value as you are now talking about non-associated companies selling to a required demographic rather than to a specific captive market.

The biggest problem is that very little of the goods sold to pool players are consumable. Anyone buying a cue (usually) spends less than £100 and keeps it for years - and there is little else to sell him..

voiceofreason
09-10-2013, 04:10 AM
OK... I just said what everyone else said..

Mental note - read the posts before posting!

Bambu
09-10-2013, 06:51 AM
I bet you were using a Bambu pole :thumbup:!!!

Maniac

Haha, I may as well try one of those, cant do any worse. I got trout right in my back yard, but I dont catch much. They look at me, I look at them. They eat my bait, but don't like the hooks much!

Island Drive
09-10-2013, 07:58 AM
We had a cold front move in today, gonna try my luck tomorrow on the Reservoir. The boat weighs 185lbs, motor 148. Done scuba (Baja late 70's) and free diving my whole life growing up on a WI spring fed lake. Found many creative ways to catch em, but never did fish I always enjoyed going and gettin' em ''my way''....no rod or reel. Now that time has elapsed gonna try it with a pole. I figure in a year I'll have the experience needed to not starve :D....It's just as hard to catch fish in either POND :thumbup:

Ironically fish feed in the fall, and the suckers start biting in the winter at the Pool Room.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Thats a great looking boat Island. And I bet the 30 horse can move it around quite nicely.

Rod holders are pretty slick too. You also have the cheapest trolling motor there is, two wooden sticks.

I used to like going for a row myself. Its great for the cardio. In the long run, I bought a larger fishing boat but I also would have been quite satisfied with that set up as well.

I knew that I wanted something to get me onto the lake and yours will do that quite efficiently.

tucson9ball
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
you must not fish very much or are only fishing stocked ponds with hatchery fish.......because fishing is a very real skill set...it depends on the territory, the weather, the type of fish, lure, the way you can work the lure......and as for radar LMFAO. Thats not even taking into account in knowing how to cast on a dime not just with a fly rod but bait cast as well.

Spoken like a novice

by the way joey we should get together and wet the line sometime. I prefer fresh water because, well i catch too many fish as it is offshore lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^very true^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was in my teens and early 20;s, I did quite a bit of fishing(mostly bass). My buddy was in a fishing club and he also did some guide service on the side.

Long story short, we go fishing together on many occasions. He has all the latest equipment so I leave my stuff home. We fish out of his boat using the same rods, reels, line and lures. After about 6 hours we caught about 17 bass. I caught 2 and he caught 15, so YEAH! There is more to fishing than just the equipment. There is definitely a feel to it.

My buddy told me once, "when you feel the blades on the spinner bait slow down, a fish is following it". WTF!!!

EJmagnum186
09-10-2013, 10:55 AM
I love and compete in both but there is no way to compare the $$$ that a well skilled hobbyist or a professional can make in fishing compared to pool. There is a whole # of reasons for the difference but here is the bottom line.....FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL. Fishing has real sponsors and entities that pump real dollars into the bottom line. An average person will recognize names like Land O lakes, Folgers, Walmart, Crown Royal. Does the same average Joe Q Public recognize Muellers, Brunswick, Schon or anything other than Balabuska, Minnesota Fats or the Color of Money? This doesn't even factor in the actual TV network deals. I am a C level player and the most I have cashed in a year was $3300 (yes I track it) as a combination of gambling and tournament winnings both after expenses. I was able to cover all of my expenses including my gas, boat payment & insurance and registration and my tackle expenses for 3 straight years before my daughter was born and I am fishing state and club level bass tournaments.

The reason that bass fishing is doing well is because the sponsors pump $$$ into people who help them sell the product, sport and themselves. Most fisherman have a college degree and are well spoken, the fisherman are fan accessible at events and the events are family friendly and are interactive. The Mosconi Cup is the closest thing we have to that format and it is no surprise that it is one of the most popular and well attended and talked about events in billiards. I ain't that smart and even I know that they are on to something.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 11:01 AM
My buddy told me once, "when you feel the blades on the spinner bait slow down, a fish is following it". WTF!!!

Haha, isn't that something. I haven't quite got the touch down that good yet by a long shot.

I would say that takes a great amount of practice. I did catch a Pike the other day in almost the same fashion. I could feel him nibbling the bait. I have heard that people get excited (can't blame them) and as soon as they feel a nibble, they mistake it as a hit and will prematurely set the hook. All that does is yank the bait out of the fishes mouth.

So, I waited until I could feel a definite bite before I set. Its a great feeling to know that you did it just right. I let the little guy go as he was too small. He will have another go at it when he gets bigger.

daddyfats
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Not to mention the number of people who fish compared to those who play pool.
I don't know the numbers, but I'd be there are thousands of times more people who fish recreationally than play pool recreationally. Popularity of an activity sells equipment, and fishing is popular.
I realize alot of people in a forum like this are die hard pool players and don't get the fishing thing, but I enjoy both activities, and give me a choice I'll take the fishing.

SmoothStroke
09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Where are u from?Billfishing?

From New Jersey. Most of my fishing is from Montauk, Block Island, Marthas Vineyard, Cuttyhunk, Nantucket, Cape Cod,Monomoy,Gloucester,Maine, Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island. I will follow the Striped Bass Migration from Virginia to Maine and back again. I stay out of New Jersey as much as I can ha-ha

Some billfishing as long as they pay me to sit in the chair and cut me percentage of winnings. Have fished tourneys in a few countries, Venezuela La Guairį Bank, Central America, Mid Atlantic to name a few . Mostly Giant, big eye,longfin, yellow fin tuna, striped bass, Cod, fluke, seabass, blackfish, very big on Saltwater fly rod with False Albacore,Bonito,Mahi trout, salmon etc etc. Lost many large tuna on the fly rod, love every minute of it.
Obsessed with wet suiting for striped bass, using plugs and rigged eels from the surf. I have been doing it since I was a baby.

I have issues, I will fish in a puddle if I know there is bait in the area.

Best of luck
SS

SmoothStroke
09-10-2013, 12:12 PM
It is great to see others with a common interest, especially fishing.
Would love to hear some fish stories, tall tales.
And I don't mean pool.
I will start. You should have seen the one that got away, When he hit the plug it was like they dropped a car in the water from 30,000 ft. 'true Story'

SpiderWebComm
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Fishing is really hard but it's nowhere near as tough as playing pool WELL.

Regardless of what anyone says, all things being equal (equipment, etc), anyone is allowed to catch more fish than the next guy on any given day.

I have a friend who devoted his life to fishing before he became disabled. He was a very, very strong fisherman -- knew everything about everything - and every possible variable and every technique.

One day, he accidentally caught his treble hook into his sweat pants and while he was carefully trying to unhook his lure from his pants, I caught 3 monster Godzilla-like bass....one right after the next.

Of COURSE, the moment I hooked each fish, I REALLY played it up....letting the fish take line out.....reeling it in....letting the fish take it out....reeling it in..... basically, I acted like I needed a "FIGHTING CHAIR" with some hot chick to pour water over my over-heated reel in order to get each of these fat-azzes landed.

He got SO enraged, he lost his temper and ripped the treble hook from his sweat pants by yanking the line and two of the treble hooks embedded in the palm of his hand (the thumb pad of his palm). The hooks were DEEEEEEEEEP. He was totally screwed.

As any good friend would do, I reeled-in my lizard and took a good look at his hand. I basically told him we needed to go to the emergency room ASAP because he's 100% going to need that surgically removed and a tetanus shot to boot. Red faced and pissed, he flat-out refused and pulled out a pocket knife and started to cut at his palm, trying to dig it out.

At that point, I figured F-IT, fish are biting....and went back to casting. I caught one more bass and .... you guessed it.... made sure I took 5 mins to reel that puppy in. Once I landed the 4th bass, he flat-out "carved" a deep trench around the hook and cut through the muscle and freed his hand.

Blood was pumping from his palm as he fished with his off-hand until he caught 4 bass himself (prob the same I just released... we were prob casting over some nests or something). Only then would he agree to leave --- he didn't want to leave unless he was at least even. I didn't catch any more for the rest of that session, as my luck had ended.

The point of me telling this story is that I'm a total fuggin' RETARD when it comes to fishing. I can hardly tie a lure on right and I have NO CLUE which lure to use during which seasons or weather patterns. I have NO CLUE how to work the lure -- I just twiched it randomly, pretty much.

Many times, I'd hit some sea weed plant and think I had a monster fish so I'd YANK the rod trying to set the hook (on the plant) and the damn lizard would fire out of the water and go sailing above us. We didn't lose any eyes, so that's good.

I think that's what compelled him to not let me leave without him "catching-up" because he KNEW I'd tell the world that I kicked his teeth-in at fishing and I don't even fish....literally...at ALL....ever. He had to lend me one of his "bad" rods and I used one of his chewed-up lures.

It's my humble opinion that all things being equal (equipment, etc), fishing is like poker. ANYONE is allowed to beat the top guy on earth for a single session if his luck runs perfectly. If cards flow my way, I'll bust Phil Hellmuth in a single heads-up session. I'm a mega-big underdog, but if the cards come and I suck out and make a few correct decisions, you never know -- I might have to fade his crying afterwards.

In pool, there's literally ZERO CHANCE that a "random non-pool player" can beat the top guy in the world regardless of how his luck runs.

You can skull-hook a fish.... you can't skull-hook a 7-pack while trying to beat a pro in a race to 15.

Just sayin'.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Wow, I agree as it seems we have a lot of pool players that also love to fish.

This thread kind of got away a bit. I love fishing and wanted to relate a little story that I was told, combining it with pool. I am amazed that Dave has let this one go this long without putting it over in NPR. Who knows, maybe Dave likes to fish as well.

My amazing fish story for the day is, last week my wife and I spent 3 days in Northern Saskatchewan on Tobin Lake.

At one time it was a little channel but was flooded for a Hydro Dam. I spent one day reading a topographical map to keep myself in the channel in the deep and out of the shallow sand bars. Its a flood plain and there are enuff submerged trees as well and they can cause you even more heart ache.

I noticed boats passing me at a considerable faster speed criss crossing the lake. I was thinking, there are some people that have done this before. Thats the last thing I wanted to do is break my leg fin or zing off my prop by driving too fast and running aground. So I putted around for a day at an agonizing slow speed. Better safe than sorry. Have to buy myself an extra prop and nut just in case for the future.

Anyway, with the current from the dam when they open the gates, you get quite a nice controlled drift without having to use the trolling motor at all.

I had a cheaper rod in the holder with a rig on it in hopes of catching a few small perch.

I was helping my wife with her rod when she said, I think you're snagged. I said that I try and hit bottom and will lift the rig up a couple of feet so I doubt its a snag.

I grabbed the rod out of the holder and thought, damn, it is a snag. Then all of a sudden, the line took off in the water.

I was adjusting the drag on the fly and at one point, I had it set one click before it was off. I tested and could barely pull any line out with my hand.

Still, the reel was actually making a high pitched zinging sound as it spun out of control. I would reel in as much as I could and then off she would go again.

I started back trolling as fast as I could, figured I would give chase a bit.

Finally I started the 90 up and back trolled as fast as I could. I figured that if I could get the boat turned around, I might be able to take the fish for a little ride and tire it out.

The fish had a different idea. The end result was that it finally got all the line out on me
and snapped the line off at the knot on the reel.

It was an exciting few minutes but I quickly realized that my cheapy rod wasn't a match for the big game. I wasn't set up nor expecting a Sturgeon to be hanging around where I was anyway.

Barbless hooks are mandatory so it wouldn't have taken it long to work the hook out but the thought of the fish with a rig in its mouth and several hundred feet of line was pay back enuff.

My wife tangled with a Sturgeon twice more that day and also lost the fight.

I guess the best thing to do is actually cut the line when you figure out what you have on the end buts its a hard thing to consider when they put up such a great fight.

I did catch a 28" wall eye, 8 and a half lbs as a consolation prize later that day. That and several smaller eyes that got themselves a one way ticket to the fry pan later that evening.

JoeyA
09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Regardless of what anyone says, all things being equal (equipment, etc), anyone is allowed to catch more fish than the next guy on any given day.

I have a friend who devoted his life to fishing before he became disabled. He was a very, very strong fisherman -- knew everything about everything - and every possible variable and every technique.

One day, he accidentally caught his treble hook into his sweat pants and while he was carefully trying to unhook his lure from his pants, I caught 3 monster Godzilla-like bass....one right after the next.

Of COURSE, the moment I hooked each fish, I REALLY played it up....letting the fish take line out.....reeling it in....letting the fish take it out....reeling it in..... basically, I acted like I needed a "FIGHTING CHAIR" with some hot chick to pour water over my over-heated reel in order to get each of these fat-azzes landed.

He got SO enraged, he lost his temper and ripped the treble hook from his sweat pants by yanking the line and two of the treble hooks embedded in the palm of his hand (the thumb pad of his palm). The hooks were DEEEEEEEEEP. He was totally screwed.

As any good friend would do, I reeled-in my lizard and took a good look at his hand. I basically told him we needed to go to the emergency room ASAP because he's 100% going to need that surgically removed and a tetanus shot to boot. Red faced and pissed, he flat-out refused and pulled out a pocket knife and started to cut at his palm, trying to dig it out.

At that point, I figured F-IT, fish are biting....and went back to casting. I caught one more bass and .... you guessed it.... made sure I took 5 mins to reel that puppy in. Once I landed the 4th bass, he flat-out "carved" a deep trench around the hook and cut through the muscle and freed his hand.

Blood was pumping from his palm as he fished with his off-hand until he caught 4 bass himself (prob the same I just released... we were prob casting over some nests or something). Only then would he agree to leave --- he didn't want to leave unless he was at least even. I didn't catch any more for the rest of that session, as my luck had ended.

The point of me telling this story is that I'm a total fuggin' RETARD when it comes to fishing. I can hardly tie a lure on right and I have NO CLUE which lure to use during which seasons or weather patterns. I have NO CLUE how to work the lure -- I just twiched it randomly, pretty much.

Many times, I'd hit some sea weed plant and think I had a monster fish so I'd YANK the rod trying to set the hook (on the plant) and the damn lizard would fire out of the water and go sailing above us. We didn't lose any eyes, so that's good.

I think that's what compelled him to not let me leave without him "catching-up" because he KNEW I'd tell the world that I kicked his teeth-in at fishing and I don't even fish....literally...at ALL....ever. He had to lend me one of his "bad" rods and I used one of his chewed-up lures.

It's my humble opinion that all things being equal (equipment, etc), fishing is like poker. ANYONE is allowed to beat the top guy on earth for a single session if his luck runs perfectly. If cards flow my way, I'll bust Phil Hellmuth in a single heads-up session. I'm a mega-big underdog, but if the cards come and I suck out and make a few correct decisions, you never know -- I might have to fade his crying afterwards.

In pool, there's literally ZERO CHANCE that a "random non-pool player" can beat the top guy in the world regardless of how his luck runs.

You can skull-hook a fish.... you can't skull-hook a 7-pack while trying to beat a pro in a race to 15.

Just sayin'.

I really liked that story. Your buddy was a real fisherman, a dumb one, but a real fisherman nevertheless.

I've seen pool bangers, shit out and beat a player every now and then.

I don't think the fishermen bangers are going to shit out any more often than the pool bangers will.

The only way to come close to even up the odds with a good fisherman is to use whatever he is using and presenting it the same way at the same depth with the same rhythm etc. Even then, the "good" fisherman will out fish the mediocre fisherman.

I once thought I could catch more speckled trout and faster than anyone else, until I ran up on a younger guy who was using a bait casting reel, bouncing the jig off of the bottom REAL SLOW. He caught 3 fish to my every one. I tried the same thing mimicking his every move, but couldn't keep up with him. His line was probably a little tighter than mine and rod may have been a little more sensitive but I doubt that too. I'm sure my bail reel wasn't helping matters in that particular situation. But he was probably just a better fisherman as much as I hate to admit that. :D

backplaying
09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
It is great to see others with a common interest, especially fishing.
Would love to hear some fish stories, tall tales.
And I don't mean pool.
I will start. You should have seen the one that got away, When he hit the plug it was like they dropped a car in the water from 30,000 ft. 'true Story'

I caught a 62 Ib and a 70 Ib catfish in the same day with a client, have pictures... It was in the Cullman Times in Al a few years back . I think it was in Jan. I wasn't just a striper, crappie and bass guide! I would guarantee a catfish over 30 on a cat fishing trip on the Tenn river, and a striper over 10 and a limit on Smith Lake. I will have the same guarantee's next year when I start back. I also guarantee 20 crappie keepers a day in the spring and at night in the summer. Smith is not a good crappie lake. I was also the only striper guide that fished during the day after the middle of June. The rest only night fish with live shad in the summer. I do nothing but troll for stripers during the summer months. The camera man who filmed my fishing video caught a 46 Ib striper. I use a 12" swim bait trolling as a stinger bait on umbrella rigs, along with lead core and down riggers, so, I don't catch anything smaller than 8 Ibs with the big baits.. If they want to catch numbers, I will down size, but everyone wants to catch big ones. The worst trip I have had for stripers with a client was 6, that averaged 13 Ibs. I put many years into learning how to fish, along with a love I never had for pool.

Put_upor_shutup
09-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Just sayin'.

As much as I enjoy the story I have to disagree..Many times I have seen ppl in the boat with the same exact equipment..bait or lures..everything never catch a fish while other in the boat hammer them..and I mean day in day out. We have set ppl in fields of fish and they still can't catch em. There is more to it imo..

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Here is my consolation prize for the day. Not the biggest available in that lake but a pretty respectable size for a rookie.

I was out ice fishing, using the same Swedish Pimple as my friend. He was pulling them out and I got skunked. We traded holes and he started pulling them out of mine and I got nothing from his. A very true story. So yep, there is more to fishing than dropping a line. Techniques and presentation.

Same with pool. When you start missing shots, what do you do? You start from the beginning, stance, pre shot routine, follow thru until you figure out what you are doing wrong. same stuff, different pile.

Just noticed, I'm fatter than the fish. Must be the beer. Oh, and my head really isn't pointed like that. Must be the camera angle.

backplaying
09-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Just sayin'.

Good story and funny. I can show anyone how to get a hook out without pain, but in reality, no one on earth that doesn't know how to fish could beat me ever. I think that shows there is much more luck in pool than fishing in the long run. Fishing is as hard or harder to really learn than pool. You have to learn fish patterns. It changes with weather, four seasons, water clarity , water temp,bait fish, spawning season.. Fishing is no different than pool when everyone seems to have a peak level they reach regardless of how long they have been fishing. I believe this relates to everything in life. The majority of fisherman never learn to fish at a high level, just like pool.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Wish you'd show me how to get a barbed hook out. I kneeled on a treble hook last week.

Best I know how is the same as getting one out of the carpet, push down on it until the barb clears and pull.

Otherwise you will be bringing out a bit of flesh too.

backplaying
09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Here is my consolation prize for the day. Not the biggest available in that lake but a pretty respectable size for a rookie.

I was out ice fishing, using the same Swedish Pimple as my friend. He was pulling them out and I got skunked. We traded holes and he started pulling them out of mine and I got nothing from his. A very true story. So yep, there is more to fishing than dropping a line. Techniques and presentation.

Same with pool. When you start missing shots, what do you do? You start from the beginning, stance, pre shot routine, follow thru until you figure out what you are doing wrong. same stuff, different pile.

Just noticed, I'm fatter than the fish. Must be the beer. Oh, and my head really isn't pointed like that. Must be the camera angle.

I have a nice like new bass tracker, I will trade you for that Lund. I sold my deep sea boat and my center console striper boat when I quit guiding and only have the tracker left. I now have to buy a 22 ft center console or am leaning toward a Lund or something similar with the walk through windshield to guide out of next year. I really like the 21ft Lund style for the room it has in the back, which is perfect for trolling. Funny how here in the south you never see a Lund boat, ever! I know its the number one boat on the walleye trail up north.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
You do see a lot of them up here anyway. Seems to me that other than being a decent well made boat, it might be a bit like buying a Harley for some.

All I knew was the year was getting short and I wanted to be on the water before the ice set in. I got very weary of driving around and looking at other peoples head ache project boats that they were trying to pawn off on someone else. For the most part, I figured that I wasn't going to be helping them put a nice down payment on a new fishing boat.

I know nothing about marine mechanics but worked as a motorcycle mechanic for a few years. I wasn't that stupid to not know a head ache when I come across one. Same a bikes, basket cases that no one wants.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the Lund. 2002. I figured that if I wanted something that was reliable and not cause me a bunch of heart ache and money from the start, I would pay the price, treat it well and it will give me many years of good service.

There is a boat dealer that has a very well kept 86 Trophy Bass Boat. I think that is made by BayLiner. No motor and they were asking a bit much for it as you can pretty much get motorless hulls pretty cheap.

I think that after it sits for the winter, they will be willing to take a lot less for it in the Spring. With the price of a decent used motor, I figure that with a little elbow grease, I might be able to get that one and have it going for approx 4 K.

It comes without a live well but it has ample space so could probably figure something out. So, if it is still available come the Spring, I would seriously consider it as a decent project boat. A person can have a ton of fun with a go fast Bass boat.

backplaying
09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I know how to tie a few good fisherman knots. That and a few good naval or survival knots.

I like the saying, If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.

And I have seen people do exactly that. Tie a million granny knots when one specific knot would have done the trick.

Seen people tie a ton of granny knots mooring their boat when a cleat hitch or a bow line and a rolling hitch would have worked much nicer.

Funny to watch them undo them later.

I'll go with that one 100%. whether fishing from a boat or shore casting there is nothing better for your piece of mind or rejuvenating your body.

I love eating my catch, when I get ever so lucky and there is nothing more exciting when you can feel a nibble and you tease the bugger until you feel a bite and can set your hook. In the long run, catching and eating is a nice by product of a great day out regardless.

Since I bought the boat, it has done wonders for my wifes and my relationship. Its just one more common interest hobby that we got on to.
Oh, except for when she loses more lures in a day than most in a year. I guess thats what keeps the tackle shops in business. Almost keeping me broke. Funny that I now have to include a trip to the tackle shop as part of my daily routine and errands now.

We are planning a winter vacation this year. We haven't figured out where and I told her that I don't much care as long as there is a charter fishing boat available where ever that happens to be.

Here is a young lady that has apparently done this a couple of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWB22PyTt0U

I have to be honest, I would only guide twice a week, because I never wanted to get burned out on what I loved to do more than anything else. I get a peace on the water that I never feel anywhere else. Same with living on the lake. I might do three days a week next year at the most. I had a friend who was in the same business I was in and he never did anything but work and was miserable,. I kept on him for a couple of years to play golf or fish and get away from the business and didn't see him for a couple of years. When I did, he was a different person, he said fishing saved his life and he is worth over 100 million and admits he was at the point of suicide.

backplaying
09-10-2013, 03:30 PM
You do see a lot of them up here anyway. Seems to me that other than being a decent well made boat, it might be a bit like buying a Harley for some.

All I knew was the year was getting short and I wanted to be on the water before the ice set in. I got very weary of driving around and looking at other peoples head ache project boats that they were trying to pawn off on someone else. For the most part, I figured that I wasn't going to be helping them put a nice down payment on a new fishing boat.

I know nothing about marine mechanics but worked as a motorcycle mechanic for a few years. I wasn't that stupid to not know a head ache when I come across one. Same a bikes, basket cases that no one wants.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the Lund. 2002. I figured that if I wanted something that was reliable and not cause me a bunch of heart ache and money from the start, I would pay the price, treat it well and it will give me many years of good service.

There is a boat dealer that has a very well kept 86 Trophy Bass Boat. I think that is made by BayLiner. No motor and they were asking a bit much for it as you can pretty much get motorless hulls pretty cheap.

I think that after it sits for the winter, they will be willing to take a lot less for it in the Spring. With the price of a decent used motor, I figure that with a little elbow grease, I might be able to get that one and have it going for approx 4 K.

It comes without a live well but it has ample space so could probably figure something out. So, if it is still available come the Spring, I would seriously consider it as a decent project boat. A person can have a ton of fun with a go fast Bass boat.

They are way over priced, but do use very heavy gauge aluminum that takes rough water much better than say my tracker. I remember when you could buy a new 18ft tracker for 4999 and now I think they are over 20,000. There is a brand, I can't think of that a friend of mine who guides bought, that is just like a Lund, but about half price of one. I will start looking after the first frost and wait and sell my tracker next spring when they bring top dollar.

SmoothStroke
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Keep em coming

Island Drive
09-10-2013, 03:47 PM
They are way over priced, but do use very heavy gauge aluminum that takes rough water much better than say my tracker. I remember when you could buy a new 18ft tracker for 4999 and now I think they are over 20,000. There is a brand, I can't think of that a friend of mine who guides bought, that is just like a Lund, but about half price of one. I will start looking after the first frost and wait and sell my tracker next spring when they bring top dollar.

You might ck out StarCraft. I took a close look at Lund, but being born/raised on a fresh water lake, and later in life spending allot of time in Baja with with 14' Zodiac working the shorlines, I HATE heavy boats, especially ones that are 16' or thereabouts. A comparable inland Lund weights at Least 100lb or more than my SF 14. I've always found knowing what you Don't want when it comes to boats is Most important. I pull mine easily at 6,000 ft above sea level with my 4:10 rear end Volvo with a 2.3 lt 4 cyl. Matching your ego with your boat purchase and the needs of your gear is easier said than done. Now if you park your boat at a pier, Everything changes :) for the better :)))).

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
My ego was never involved in my decision to buy the boat I did. Altho I am quite happy with what I got as a used unit.

I looked at smaller boats like yours and believe me, if I could have found a decent used one like yours I would have been perfectly happy as that is what was most important to me, and that was to have a way to get myself out on the water. Probably would have been considerably cheaper and that would have suited me fine too. Altho Canadian prices for even a new boat like yours is most likely much more than what you paid for yours. We get nothing for free or good deals up here.

I went to look at one like yours one night. The guy obviously posted pics of it when it was new. I was drooling over this boat as I thought, this is my baby.
Well, when I went to look at it, the carpet was all ripped up. There was green moss growing on it. I could see that the wooden floor boards needed replacing very badly. The fuse box was corroded and no electronics worked. The engine flooded easily and took approx 20 minutes and 100 pulls to get it going.
I asked the guy what he would take for it just as a matter of interest as I had already made my mind up that this was a piece of junk within the first 20 seconds of seeing it. He said he'd take 3 K for it. I said have a nice evening Buddy.

The average Lund at the Marina does leave mine in the dust, or wake for the most part.

They go smoking past me with their 250 Mercs as I'm putting along the shore line enjoying the day. I pay no mind. Sure, its fun to go fast but I can put enuff fuel thru mine let alone using a large Merc. 6 bucks a gallon here and believe me, that boat holds more than my truck does.

I'm not an overly rich guy so purchasing new or financing wasn't really an option at this time. By the time my 02 is old enuff to consider newer, I think my fishing days will be all but good memories.

Now, if the Pros here can give me a few fishing tips for next year, maybe I can hit the Wall Eye Trail and win meeself a new one.

Flats
09-10-2013, 04:30 PM
What I like about fly fishing is that its fun to practice! Been fishing all my life and what I enjoy the most is fishing streams and small rivers. Nothing like fishing new waters for the first time and moving to the next streach of holding water and thinking of nothing but fooling the trout into taking your fly, it must drift just right for that to happen; trying not to blink when fishing fast water so that you don't loose sight of the fly or indicator on the water; or to see the fly or indicator disappear when the trout takes your fly and if not having much success, going down one size in tippet or changing flies and having trout starting to bang your fly. Fishing different levels of the water from the bottom to the surface trying to find where the fish are feeding....hours pass like minutes with no problems....Biggest expense is Gas as I go alone alot from Tuesday to Thursday when fishing buddies are working. I play pool on weekends and practicing alone isn't as much fun.

Cuebuddy
09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
I figure if Blue Hog can do it so can I. This was one week ago today. My boy and I went back to the home state and pulled this out of a sand pit. Sorry for the ugly look but I was recovering from a tail to the groin.:eek:

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Nice one, but it does look like you just took one in the Noogs.

Fly fishing in Colorado. A few years ago, we went for a tour thru the Rockies. I noticed guys Fly Fishing in the rivers and creeks beside the highway. I was thinking, now that looks like a lot of fun.

Now, reading up on fly fishing, it is a serious art form, from just learning to spool your reel, maybe getting into tying your own flies and learning how to study the fish as was posted. Like I said, very much an art form in all aspects.

My wife commented to me one night, fly fishing would be fun. You have to be kidding me.
I spend enuff of my fishing time looking after her rod and her little mess ups and now you think I am going to learn how to spool a fly rod for you.

She watches fly fishing videos and thinks that is all there is to it is to stand in a stream and flick your line in and out, back and forth.

She has neglected to watch the technical videos, so fly fishing is not an option by a long shot in our future.

SmoothStroke
09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Impressive, Some hardcore fishermen here with lots of desire and knowledge.
Great stories men.
P.S. There is no such thing as the perfect boat, believe me I have been trying for years.

Sloppy Pockets
09-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Is that $350 a day, PER PERSON?

Fishing thread! How'd I miss this one?:rolleyes:

Joey, back in my guiding days I used to pull in over $2K/week just taking folks trout fishing. PLUS tips. I've had days where I got two $100 tips (morning and evening sessions). No boat. Just me, two sports, my truck, and a river to wade in, so the most it cost me per day was maybe $20 to take them out. But they usually took me to lunch and dinner, so I made out on that more than the gas cost me.

Still, that's nothing compared to what top Atlantic salmon or Labrador brook trout trips run. You're talking thousands per week per fisherman. Gotta be grandfathered into those gigs, though.

My experience was that it was a rare fly fisherman who knew close to what I do, and those guys don't even need the guiding. Just point them at the hot streams and sit back in the shade and leave them alone. But that's maybe one in 50. The rest are as dumb as bass. Sure, they'll drop names of famous rivers they've been to, but then I look in their fly boxes and every fly was bought online from Orvis or the like.

Then they start to cast, and the morning is spent giving casting lessons instead of fishing because they can't get 30' of line out of the tip-top without entangling themselves in it. For real fun, take them in some heavy water they are whining to fish in and watch them cry like babies once they feel that river pulling at them. More than once I had to reach out and grab some guy by his wader suspenders when he slipped off a rock. Like babysitting grown men most of the time.:angry:

Some of these guys, I would give them a fly that was a perfect match of what was hatching at the time, tie on a good tippet, tie the fly on for them, point exactly to where the fish were rising (they usually can't even see the rise forms), tell them how to lay down a good drift, tell them when the fish came up to look at it... and refuse it (which was almost every time). Then I'd take the same rig out of their hands and lay down one perfect cast and there'd big a nice fat 20" brownie on the line before the fly moved 6" downstream.

There's a lot of skill in fly fishing IMO. You can spend your whole life learning and never get close to the end of it. Same with other types of fishing, though. I've surf fished on Cape Cod when the fish are migrating, and it's like a human stadium wave as the blues or stripers come blitzing through a massive school of bait fish, and the every rod along the shore gets bent over one by one as the fish move through the school of desperate bait, who take to the air in a futile effort to escape. Lots of fun, but not much skill. But the guys who can read the weather and the tides and lunar cycles and know just where to go during a new moon night to fish a live eel for 40 pound stripers (and leave the drag marks in the sand to prove they got them), well they're in the same league as the best fly fishers as far as I'm concerned. Too bad I don't live on the ocean or I'd be right there with them.:cool:

Sloppy Pockets
09-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Fly fishing in Colorado. A few years ago, we went for a tour thru the Rockies. I noticed guys Fly Fishing in the rivers and creeks beside the highway. I was thinking, now that looks like a lot of fun.

Now, reading up on fly fishing, it is a serious art form, from just learning to spool your reel, maybe getting into tying your own flies and learning how to study the fish as was posted. Like I said, very much an art form in all aspects.

My wife commented to me one night, fly fishing would be fun. You have to be kidding me.
I spend enuff of my fishing time looking after her rod and her little mess ups and now you think I am going to learn how to spool a fly rod for you.

She watches fly fishing videos and thinks that is all there is to it is to stand in a stream and flick your line in and out, back and forth.

She has neglected to watch the technical videos, so fly fishing is not an option by a long shot in our future.

Now, if you lived a mere 3,000 miles closer, I'd be only too happy to take your wife fly fishing. :D

Casting is not all that hard with a good teacher. She won't be picking up 50' of line off the water and double-hauling a weighted Clouser 90' out there anytime soon, but for the basic 30-40' cast needed 95% of the time, I can teach that in a few hours. Besides, women pick up on fly casting way easier than most guys do. Most dudes think they are going to get somewhere using muscle instead of timing and finesse. Women are born knowing about finesse. You should encourage her to get into it, she will truly love it (and so would you I can almost guarantee).

RBC
09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Blue

It's really pretty simple.

Look at how many people fish, and how much money they spend on fishing.

That's what draws all those companies trying to get a shot at their spending.

If we had that many people playing pool and spending that kind of money to play pool, then things would be a lot different.

It all comes back to the public. After all, that's where all the money really comes from.

Royce

Maniac
09-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Some nice fish/boat pictures being shown.

I don't catch a lot of big fish as I tend to scale down my lures/tackle trying to put more fish in the boat (as my son and I are always keeping score of who has caught the most fish on any given fishing trip). I am of the school of thought that I'd rather boat 15-20 bass in the 2-5 pound range than 2-3 in the 6-9 pound range. But.....that's just me.

Another good thread (we've had quite a few lately)!!!

Maniac

Put_upor_shutup
09-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I have a nice like new bass tracker, I will trade you for that Lund. I sold my deep sea boat and my center console striper boat when I quit guiding and only have the tracker left. I now have to buy a 22 ft center console or am leaning toward a Lund or something similar with the walk through windshield to guide out of next year. I really like the 21ft Lund style for the room it has in the back, which is perfect for trolling. Funny how here in the south you never see a Lund boat, ever! I know its the number one boat on the walleye trail up north.

Ha ha ill play u some 8-7 one pocket and a set of fishing.

Cuebuddy
09-10-2013, 06:31 PM

I grew up in Nebraska flinging spinners and drowning worms. Moved to the High country and caught many trout with the same tactics. Fly fishing is huge where I live and I am one of the last hold outs. Here is a story from todays paper.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/8023349-113/tournament-fishing-fly-chioffi

Island Drive
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Impressive, Some hardcore fishermen here with lots of desire and knowledge.
Great stories men.
P.S. There is no such thing as the perfect boat, believe me I have been trying for years.

Only if he conditions are perfect for that boat and the water conditions.

The zodiac I had when I spent over a month in BAJA was perfect, tho on the sea of cortez side I always went out early and about one or two PM when the winds picked up it was a piece of cake coming back, and it was Unsinkable. Saved a few lives during my stay. Got a lobster out of a Pacific side trap during a day dive :grin: it barely fit in my ditty bag. Had to cut the tail in medallions, took two days to eat, it was too big to steam.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Good article. It sounds like that young fellow has his future cut out for him.

Maybe we can compare him to a young Reyes or SVB of the fishing scene.

If sponsors aren't all over him already, he will never have a problem finding and keeping them.

I have watched quite a few videos re fly fishing but concentrating on getting better from the boat. I would rather get good at one side of it than less than mediocre at both.

Besides it seems that I have spent enuff just starting out and I haven't scratched the surface yet. I can get pretty obsessive with hobbies and it wouldn't be long before I'm buying a ton of stuff to tie my own flies.

I like puttering around with things that require a bit of minute detail at times. I can see myself getting totally wrapped in tying flies and learning to spool a reel and tie leaders and knots etc.

That is part of what I enjoy about fishing so far, tying knots, making a few rigs etc. So, when I joke about having to look after my wife's rod, its just that, joking as I enjoy taking care of that end of it as well.

When I can start putting a few nice ones in the well on a regular basis, I'll be a happy camper.

John H
09-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Just sayin'.

It is one thing to get lucky once in a while, it is another to be able to repeat something time and time again. That applies to both fishing and pool. In my opinion the variables in fishing far outweigh those on the pool table.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Different lakes, rivers and conditions. Different pool halls, cloth, rails and opponents.

You are most likely correct in the long run but maybe certain aspects of the two can be a little close at times as well.

Cuebuddy
09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Good article. It sounds like that young fellow has his future cut out for him.

Maybe we can compare him to a young Reyes or SVB of the fishing scene.

If sponsors aren't all over him already, he will never have a problem finding and keeping them.

I have watched quite a few videos re fly fishing but concentrating on getting better from the boat. I would rather get good at one side of it than less than mediocre at both.

Besides it seems that I have spent enuff just starting out and I haven't scratched the surface yet. I can get pretty obsessive with hobbies and it wouldn't be long before I'm buying a ton of stuff to tie my own flies.

I like puttering around with things that require a bit of minute detail at times. I can see myself getting totally wrapped in tying flies and learning to spool a reel and tie leaders and knots etc.

That is part of what I enjoy about fishing so far, tying knots, making a few rigs etc. So, when I joke about having to look after my wife's rod, its just that, joking as I enjoy taking care of that end of it as well.

When I can start putting a few nice ones in the well on a regular basis, I'll be a happy camper.

I know what you mean! I don't halfass hobbies either, its all or nothing and the cost of getting set up to start fly fishing scares me. I do get a kick out of watching the noobs with the cash who buy all the crap to fly fish, they don't always realize that you can catch as many fish and enjoy the sport just as much without all the equipment.

The locals who watch these folks who come here and drop a grand on gear call it

"The Orvis Hatch" :grin-square:

Cuebuddy
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
A few years ago I found a Willie Hoppe pool cue on Ebay that had been converted to a surf rod.
I wish I had printed the pic and the description of the pole for this thread. The rod looked bad-a$$ and still had the WH signature on the forearm.

Blue Hog ridr
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Definitely times when I might feel like throwing mine in a river but as far as making a rod out of one. I'll pass as I'm not that bad a player most days.

Maybe they would make a good low deflection rod.

I do know that my first ice rod was a short piece of Bamboo with some cloth braid wrapped around the end. When we sold and moved out of the Valley, that was one piece that was left in the tool shed.

Just sentimental but I do wish I still had that piece of Bamboo.

My Dad made that for me.

Ken_4fun
09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Why not combine the two? :)

You are a sick man.

Ken

Put_upor_shutup
09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
It is one thing to get lucky once in a while, it is another to be able to repeat something time and time again. That applies to both fishing and pool. In my opinion the variables in fishing far outweigh those on the pool table.

This guy here. John..I got us in a game. Dunno if we can win but screw it. We are fishing tor redfish agains jwaddell and his two partners. Ha ha Im sure they are in a big school but screw it. He declined to fish for trout. Action.

SmoothStroke
09-11-2013, 09:43 AM
293645 This is fun and a little challenging

Sloppy Pockets
09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Been there, done that, Smooth Stroke! You got to be real careful if you don't want to get washed away in the surf. My wife and I were fishing Nauset Beach on the Cape in a heavy surf like that and she slipped and fell in. Nauset's a pretty steep beach where we were, but thankfully I was right by her side and was able to grab her out. Still, I almost lost her that day.

Here she is with a nice blue she caught at Nauset in a little better weather:

Put_upor_shutup
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Been there, done that, Smooth Stroke! You got to be real careful if you don't want to get washed away in the surf. My wife and I were fishing Nauset Beach on the Cape in a heavy surf like that and she slipped and fell in. Nauset's a pretty steep beach where we were, but thankfully I was right by her side and was able to grab her out. Still, I almost lost her that day.

They also fish for strippers the same way up there I believe .our surf fishing in Texas is a little more laid back. U rarely fish it when it is too rough here unless u r fishing for bull reds or sharks. Water clarity being a main factor when the Galveston beach front is rough.

Jpowell7575
09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
They also fish for strippers the same way up there I believe .our surf fishing in Texas is a little more laid back. U rarely fish it when it is too rough here unless u r fishing for bull reds or sharks. Water clarity being a main factor when the Galveston beach front is rough.

Parker you almost sound like you know what you're talking about. I may have to ride down there one weekend and get in on some of this redfish action.

Put_upor_shutup
09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Parker you almost sound like you know what you're talking about. I may have to ride down there one weekend and get in on some of this redfish action.

Fall is as good as it will get for redfish here..lemme know when u r comin..Oh I don't drink and fish though..

SmoothStroke
09-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Nice bluefish
Have a home in Orleans, Nauset inlet to Chatham Inlet are my backyard.
There are not to many places on Cape I have not fished.Probably none.
Backwash will sweep you away in a second, the troughs are deep. Pochet use to have a steep shingle.
Nice Picture
Best of Luck
Sincerely SS

P.S. The Picture I posted is Long Island New York. Not of me but a friend of a friend. Magazine cover shot

Jpowell7575
09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Fall is as good as it will get for redfish here..lemme know when u r comin..Oh I don't drink and fish though..

I don't fish while drinking...

Sloppy Pockets
09-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice bluefish
Have a home in Orleans, Nauset inlet to Chatham Inlet are my backyard.
There are not to many places on Cape I have not fished.Probably none.
Backwash will sweep you away in a second, the troughs are deep. Pochet use to have a steep shingle.
Nice Picture
Best of Luck
Sincerely SS

P.S. The Picture I posted is Long Island New York. Not of me but a friend of a friend. Magazine cover shot

Lucky man! Orleans is our playground when we get to the Cape. So many great spots. Nauset Beach, the Race, Herring Cove, Head of the Meadow, Wellfleet Harbor... all memorable times for us.

BTW there's a real interesting back story to that pic of my wife and that blue.

We had fish all over that morning and everything was munged in to the max. Some guy told me he heard there wasn't any mung down at Nauset, so we headed down there. We got to Nauset mid-afternoon, and when we peeked over the dunes there was a full-scale blitz going on. I grabbed a rod with a Deadly Dick on it and chased them down the beach, taking several smallish blues before the blitz ended. I told my wife to watch for birds diving while I went to the car to toss two decent blues on some ice.

As I got to the top of the walkway, an older gent with a thick accent asked if they were bluefish. I said yes, and he asked if he could buy one from me because he loved bluefish. I told him that they were for dinner, but if I caught any more I would just give him one. Then I brought the fish to the car and tucked them into the cooler.

He was still standing there, and we got chatting, and in the course of things the state of the country came out. He told me he was from Russia originally, and that he was able to come here and start a business in construction in the NYC area. I asked him how he got to come here in the first place, and he told me it was courtesy of Pres. Nixon. Then he told me the tale of his life before he came here.

In 1968, seven Russians went to Red Square in Moscow to protest the recent Soviet intervention in Czechoslovakia. They carried a small mock-up of the Czech flag and a few signs, but that was enough to get them carted away to prison. His name was Vladimir Dremlyuga, and he was one of the seven famous Russian dissidents that were arrested that day!

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/vladimir-kara-murza/remembering-seven-dissidents-and-soviet-brutality

He had a hard time in prison, but during that time Nixon worked out a deal with Russia over several dissidents who were receiving worldwide attention. Vladimir was one of them, and eventually they let him leave and come here.

"It was always my dream to one day come to America and be free and make a million dollars", he told me. "So that is what I did", he said with a big smile.

Well, about then an old couple reached the top of the walkway on their way back to their car.

"Is that your wife fishing down there?', the old woman asked me.

"I don't know, I guess it's here. Why?", I replied.

"Well, she just hooked a huge fish down there and had a heck of a time landing it."

I ran up to look down over the dune and saw her holding that blue up nearly as long as her leg. I turned to Vladimir and said, "Wait just a minute." I ran back to the car and grabbed a blue from the cooler and brought to back to him. "Enjoy! You've earned it."

He was so thrilled he gave me his contact info and said if I ever get down to NY I could stay at one of his high rises.

"I have one where you could have the whole fifth floor, and I know people with boats that will take you out fishing for stripers if you want. Anytime. You just call and I'll have it waiting for you"

I never did take him up on his offer, and eventually I lost the card with his number on it. I have to say, though, during a life spent fishing he is by far the most interesting character I ever met on the water.:smile:

Blue Hog ridr
09-12-2013, 01:57 AM
unless u r fishing for bull reds or sharks.

Looks like some pretty exciting fishing guys. Do the sharks come in that close?
If you get a small shark, do you eat it? Guess you'd have to be very careful with it. I saw a UTube video of a guy who caught a small one and it latched onto his shoulder.

How do you handle it from taking the hook out and dispatching it.

I was going to ask a question re the boating regulations in the USA re motor size.

Reason is, I may be able to get a 17' Trophy Bass boat for a project and pretty cheap.

Depending on how everything works, was thinking of putting a Merc on the fishing boat and keeping the Honda for the project boat.

The Trophy is rated for a 90 tops, yet on UTube vids, I have seen Bass boats that have
150s and up on them. I realize that they are probably 19 and 20 foot boats but just wondering if your rating system is more lenient than ours. If I remember, one of these Bass boats had a 300 on it and was toodling along at approx 65 mph. I mean, even if it was a 20 foot, a 250 or 300 is a pretty large motor.

For example, if your boat is rated for a 90 and you get caught or have an incident with a larger motor on it, you will get heavily fined and held liable for anything, other than possibly causing damage to your boat by having a larger HP motor on it.

What type of reels, line and rods are required for surf casting? Looks like a blast anyhow. Dangerous as well as was mentioned that you could easily get sucked out in
an under tow.

Like I mentioned earlier, when we decide where we are going this winter, one of the requisites will be a ride out on a charter boat.

As a general rule, what kind of money are we looking at for 2 people for the day or an afternoon? I realize that there are a lot of variables but just maybe a ball park figure.

Would like to try shark fishing but would also like to see what they taste like. Maybe smuggle the skin back and have enuff for a couple of wraps and a pair of boots.

StuartTKelley
09-12-2013, 07:30 AM

I won't bother going on a rant but I can say without a doubt that pro bass fisherman are simply brilliant. These guys are absolutely amazing, day in, day out. Just like anyone can pick up a rod and reel or a pool cue, only a select group can do it at a high level, period. Fishing is no joke. Been doing it all my life as well as pool and I can tell you fishing is much harder. And as far as waiting for something to happen, yeah, the pros do that some but that's more the biology of the fish and their natural habits...but pros adapt and make something happen. that's the difference between avid or even average fisherman and pros. Pro's know fish biology(yeah, very educated guys whether you believe that or not), they are extremely aware and observant of what is going on around them, they know electronics like the back of their hand and believe me, those units are hard to understand and learn(yeah, there are classes on these things...) and not everyone can understand them, they are amazingly accurate with their casting...they adapt to changes on the water and can find fish consistently...this is HARRRRD to do. they can catch fish on any lake, anywhere...I respect both pool and fishing pros but they can't be compared really...and as far as why more sponsorships I would say it's easier to market than pool..a lot more people fish than play pool and it's family friendly....

SmoothStroke
09-12-2013, 08:42 AM
I won't bother going on a rant but I can say without a doubt that pro bass fisherman are simply brilliant. These guys are absolutely amazing, day in, day out. Just like anyone can pick up a rod and reel or a pool cue, only a select group can do it at a high level, period. Fishing is no joke. Been doing it all my life as well as pool and I can tell you fishing is much harder. And as far as waiting for something to happen, yeah, the pros do that some but that's more the biology of the fish and their natural habits...but pros adapt and make something happen. that's the difference between avid or even average fisherman and pros. Pro's know fish biology(yeah, very educated guys whether you believe that or not), they are extremely aware and observant of what is going on around them, they know electronics like the back of their hand and believe me, those units are hard to understand and learn(yeah, there are classes on these things...) and not everyone can understand them, they are amazingly accurate with their casting...they adapt to changes on the water and can find fish consistently...this is HARRRRD to do. they can catch fish on any lake, anywhere...I respect both pool and fishing pros but they can't be compared really...and as far as why more sponsorships I would say it's easier to market than pool..a lot more people fish than play pool and it's family friendly....

If you are a C- player in pool, a top player will have you talking to yourself, yet you will be able to see what he is doing and how you are getting your butt handed to you.
(Not meant to be disrespectful to C-players or anyone else)
If you are a C-player fisherman, a top fisherman will have you talking to yourself, pulling your hair out of your head, tormenting yourself over it for weeks, months. Taking to the heat so bad your retrieve will be so screwed up you want to shoot hangers at the pool hall.
The main reason is you cannot see what is happening,( The Unknown,Abyss ) what depth he is presenting his lures, angles and currents, how he is presenting his lure as natural as possible; Doctoring his lures, tweek them to do different things, there are so many variables I could go on for hours.
Hunting with a gun or bow is different. When hunting you see your prey and pull the trigger or arrow, not giving the prey a choice.
When fishing lures/artificials/flies, you are offering the fish a choice to strike or not. (Basically trickery) You are casting plastic, wood, soft plastic, flies, tin, spoons, etc. into the unknown, into their world.
Yes, anyone can get lucky and catch fish when they are in front of you in large numbers and feeding, thats like playing 9 ball and all the balls are hanging in the pocket, a few pockets have 2 stacked balls.
If anyone thinks fishing is easy I am sure a top fisherman will be happy to give you (The breaks and every fish on the table) 364 days a year, 1 day off to rest.
P.S. Not directed at you Stuart just an add on to your post
Sincerely: SS

Sloppy Pockets
09-12-2013, 10:16 AM
If you are a C-player fisherman, a top fisherman will have you talking to yourself, pulling your hair out of your head, tormenting yourself over it for weeks, months. Taking to the heat so bad your retrieve will be so screwed up you want to shoot hangers at the pool hall.
The main reason is you cannot see what is happening,( The Unknown,Abyss ) what depth he is presenting his lures, angles and currents, how he is presenting his lure as natural as possible; Doctoring his lures, tweek them to do different things, there are so many variables I could go on for hours.
Hunting with a gun or bow is different. When hunting you see your prey and pull the trigger or arrow, not giving the prey a choice.
When fishing lures/artificials/flies, you are offering the fish a choice to strike or not. (Basically trickery) You are casting plastic, wood, soft plastic, flies, tin, spoons, etc. into the unknown, into their world.

Spot on. I'll add another dimension, though.

One of the huge attractions that dry fly fishing for trout holds for me is that the fish are visible, because they are rising to the flies and making both their presence and location known. On many runs, the fish will take positions based on pecking order (the biggest fish take the best lies) and remain there throughout the duration of the hatch. This makes for very interesting fishing as it offers something not too dissimilar to a static pool table layout, except that the "balls" only rise to the surface of the table every few seconds and then disappear again.

The idea isn't just to catch a fish, but to try to take every fish in the run. There's even the equivalent of a money ball, which is the biggest fish in the pool, holding in the toughest lie. You can probably catch every dink in the pool and that big guy will keep on rising, but when it's his turn to see a fly drifted over his head, you usually only have one cast. Any slop in the cast, a bow in the line that drags the fly unnaturally, a fly pattern that's not perfect to match the hatch (in size, color and silhouette), too heavy a tippet section, 4" off the spot he is rising at, etc. Any of these things can put that big fellow down for the day.

You may see him follow the fly and not take it. Giving him ten minutes to start rising again and then tying on a smaller fly often works. The newbie will pound that spot over and over, working the water into a froth to no avail. If he changes flies he will probably tie on a larger fly, which almost never works. That old buster brown has seen millions of naturals pass over his head like a conveyor belt at a cafeteria. He didn't get that size by making foolish mistakes.

If you are lucky, he'll tip his head up and sip the fly in in a way that belies his size. Smooth and efficient - like a good stroke. A small trout will snap up the fly and duck quickly back to safety. The big trout takes a dry fly with quiet conviction most times.

So you know this fish is big, and all you have to do is lift the rod and his weight sets the tiny barb. You can feel his weight then. He may turn for the rocks, he may swim slowly downstream, or he may just explode when he feels that barb. You have to be ready for whatever he presents. One thing for sure, he's gonna run eventually, and you better have your reel cleared and the slack out of the line or you'll never get him on the reel.

When he runs, you let him run. You just fooled him with a 6X mono tippet at the end of your leader. 6X is .005" thick, about the thickness of a human hair. It is rated at about 2-3 pounds, but that's the line itself. Your knots are weaker. Even the best knots tied by the best anglers (a whole other skill set that I won't go into here) only retain about 80% of their original strength, and that's only against a steady pull, not a violent escape attempt. Needless to say, 6X ain't gonna turn this guy if he don't want to be turned. He's got some big shoulders and all that water moving against his sides. Try to horse him in and you and your $2 fly will soon be parting ways, leaving you with a straight rod and a very heavy heart.

He may scream downstream, and you just point the tip of the rod at the fish and let him have his way, the click-drag on your $200 reel screaming right along with him. Keep him on the reel, though, because he will soon realize that swimming downstream didn't work and he'll be charging back upstream any second. Fly reels are simple single-action devices, with no multiplication factor geared in. One crank of the handle give you one rotation of the spool, nothing more, no 4:1 retrieve ratio or anything like that.

If he charges hard upstream, you will be reeling like a mutherfugger and you still may not be able to keep him on the reel, especially if he has run all 90' of line out (it happens with big fish on big pools) and you are into your thin backing material. Any slack in the line and it will belly downstream, creating a lot of drag on the fly line, breaking off the delicate tippet section all by itself.

After several long runs Mr. Brown is starting to get tired. You can lead him through light currents, but if you are in heavy water you'd better be prepared to do some skillful wading downstream to him because you won't pull him up a strong current with 6x tippet. When you are finally close you will get your first glimpse of your quarry. He may not be as big as you thought with all his fuss. He may be so big you almost mess yourself when you first see him.

Whatever, you now have one of the biggest challenges ahead of you - getting that bad boy in the net without breaking him off. Tired as he is, he will freak if he sees that net coming at him. You shorten the line so that when you raise the rod it will pull him over the net below him and he won't see it. Once he is there you make a smooth downstream move and lift the net at the same time and he's yours.

You admire him for a few seconds, then you remove the fly and assess any damage you may have caused to him. He will be breathing hard and will not have good equilibrium. If you just let him go be will likely turn upside down and float downstream and die somewhere. You didn't get this good without knowing just how precious this resource is, so you take the time to hold his head upstream in the current to get water flowing over his gills. A big brown fights a long time, and the generally accepted minimum time to revive him is about the same time you spent fighting him. I have spent up to five minutes reviving a fish before I was comfortable letting him go, but as a responsible steward of the fishery I do everything I can to ensure his survival for the next guy to come along and catch. Catch-and-release fishing is a simple fact of life on most waters I love to fish.

Anybody still think it sounds easy?:cool:

SmoothStroke
09-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Spot on. I'll add another dimension, though.

One of the huge attractions that dry fly fishing for trout holds for me is that the fish are visible, because they are rising to the flies and making both their presence and location known. On many runs, the fish will take positions based on pecking order (the biggest fish take the best lies) and remain there throughout the duration of the hatch. This makes for very interesting fishing as it offers something not too dissimilar to a static pool table layout, except that the "balls" only rise to the surface of the table every few seconds and then disappear again.

The idea isn't just to catch a fish, but to try to take every fish in the run. There's even the equivalent of a money ball, which is the biggest fish in the pool, holding in the toughest lie. You can probably catch every dink in the pool and that big guy will keep on rising, but when it's his turn to see a fly drifted over his head, you usually only have one cast. Any slop in the cast, a bow in the line that drags the fly unnaturally, a fly pattern that's not perfect to match the hatch (in size, color and silhouette), too heavy a tippet section, 4" off the spot he is rising at, etc. Any of these things can put that big fellow down for the day.

You may see him follow the fly and not take it. Giving him ten minutes to start rising again and then tying on a smaller fly often works. The newbie will pound that spot over and over, working the water into a froth to no avail. If he changes flies he will probably tie on a larger fly, which almost never works. That old buster brown has seen millions of naturals pass over his head like a conveyor belt at a cafeteria. He didn't get that size by making foolish mistakes.

If you are lucky, he'll tip his head up and sip the fly in in a way that belies his size. Smooth and efficient - like a good stroke. A small trout will snap up the fly and duck quickly back to safety. The big trout takes a dry fly with quiet conviction most times.

So you know this fish is big, and all you have to do is lift the rod and his weight sets the tiny barb. You can feel his weight then. He may turn for the rocks, he may swim slowly downstream, or he may just explode when he feels that barb. You have to be ready for whatever he presents. One thing for sure, he's gonna run eventually, and you better have your reel cleared and the slack out of the line or you'll never get him on the reel.

When he runs, you let him run. You just fooled him with a 6X mono tippet at the end of your leader. 6X is .005" thick, about the thickness of a human hair. It is rated at about 2-3 pounds, but that's the line itself. Your knots are weaker. Even the best knots tied by the best anglers (a whole other skill set that I won't go into here) only retain about 80% of their original strength, and that's only against a steady pull, not a violent escape attempt. Needless to say, 6X ain't gonna turn this guy if he don't want to be turned. He's got some big shoulders and all that water moving against his sides. Try to horse him in and you and your $2 fly will soon be parting ways, leaving you with a straight rod and a very heavy heart.

He may scream downstream, and you just point the tip of the rod at the fish and let him have his way, the click-drag on your $200 reel screaming right along with him. Keep him on the reel, though, because he will soon realize that swimming downstream didn't work and he'll be charging back upstream any second. Fly reels are simple single-action devices, with no multiplication factor geared in. One crank of the handle give you one rotation of the spool, nothing more, no 4:1 retrieve ratio or anything like that.

If he charges hard upstream, you will be reeling like a mutherfugger and you still may not be able to keep him on the reel, especially if he has run all 90' of line out (it happens with big fish on big pools) and you are into your thin backing material. Any slack in the line and it will belly downstream, creating a lot of drag on the fly line, breaking off the delicate tippet section all by itself.

After several long runs Mr. Brown is starting to get tired. You can lead him through light currents, but if you are in heavy water you'd better be prepared to do some skillful wading downstream to him because you won't pull him up a strong current with 6x tippet. When you are finally close you will get your first glimpse of your quarry. He may not be as big as you thought with all his fuss. He may be so big you almost mess yourself when you first see him.

Whatever, you now have one of the biggest challenges ahead of you - getting that bad boy in the net without breaking him off. Tired as he is, he will freak if he sees that net coming at him. You shorten the line so that when you raise the rod it will pull him over the net below him and he won't see it. Once he is there you make a smooth downstream move and lift the net at the same time and he's yours.

You admire him for a few seconds, then you remove the fly and assess any damage you may have caused to him. He will be breathing hard and will not have good equilibrium. If you just let him go be will likely turn upside down and float downstream and die somewhere. You didn't get this good without knowing just how precious this resource is, so you take the time to hold his head upstream in the current to get water flowing over his gills. A big brown fights a long time, and the generally accepted minimum time to revive him is about the same time you spent fighting him. I have spent up to five minutes reviving a fish before I was comfortable letting him go, but as a responsible steward of the fishery I do everything I can to ensure his survival for the next guy to come along and catch. Catch-and-release fishing is a simple fact of life on most waters I love to fish.

Anybody still think it sounds easy?:cool:

Well done: Nice description of a cast to a trout from beginning to end.
I love my trout fishing as much as I love holding on to Giant Tuna.
I have been to Iceland for the Wild Browns, an experience well worth the trip, put the fishing aside the scenery is amazing.

I have two friends, one a charter captain in Montauk Point Long Island, the other an Orthopedic Surgeon. They travel to New Zealand for big browns. They use a mouse pattern tied from deer hair; it is huge and amazingly tied, a true work of art.

StuartTKelley
09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
If you are a C- player in pool, a top player will have you talking to yourself, yet you will be able to see what he is doing and how you are getting your butt handed to you.
(Not meant to be disrespectful to C-players or anyone else)
Yes, anyone can get lucky and catch fish when they are in front of you in large numbers and feeding, thats like playing 9 ball and all the balls are hanging in the pocket, a few pockets have 2 stacked balls.
If anyone thinks fishing is easy I am sure a top fisherman will be happy to give you (The breaks and every fish on the table) 364 days a year, 1 day off to rest.
P.S. Not directed at you Stuart just an add on to your post

No worries, I agree about the unknown abyss for someone like myself. I feel this way often but a pro can visualize this abyss and understand it all the way from the bottom up...this is one key among hundreds that they use to their advantage. And hey, I don't think I'm a C player!! LOL I think level is relative to where you are and who your competition is. I'm a 7 in 8ball and so is Dan Werner but he's more like an 11 if there was one....so even same skill level is hard to call equal. Because I don't have to play pros in pool or play against them in my local league I can consider myself to be good. Same in fishing. If I went to the US OPEN I wouldn't be strutting so much ;) ha! . We have many local "pro's" out on Smith Mountain that would smoke me in a bass tournament but wouldn't be in the top 150 of any major fishing event unless they got extremely fortunate and if they were it wouldn't last long.. I can catch bass anywhere I go but I'm not winning any tournaments against guys who do it all of the time and put in the time...I wish I could devote the time to pool and fishing...sadly can't devote enough to either one but I have no illusions that I could be a pro if I did. I think I'm above average in both on a recreational level for sure....

rayjay
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Here's a nice rainbow on a dry from the San Juan last winter, around 23"...

3RAILKICK
09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
German Brown Trout

A group of us, for 25+ years, go on an October trip for Brown trout in the Eastern Sierra streams/Owens River around Bishop, Ca. Catch and release. Worms on worm hooks with all barbs clamped down. 4-6 lb Maxima. Pitch or cast upstream, bounce it downstream, adjusting weight of split shot and leader length to strength of current and depths.

Try to keep slack out of line, on any line stop...gentle swing...either fish or stuck...proceed accordingly. Re-tying gets faster as the day wears on.;)

Largemouth Bass

My best days and fish have come from 'deadsticking' plastic worms. This usually comes after casting out deeper from the back of the boat, allowing it to sink while getting a sandwich or beverage, or lighting a smoke...pick up the rod, reel in slack getting ready to retrieve....and a 'suicidal bass' is on the line...(gotta remember to re-set). The slow trolling motor movement I guess is about right for 'working' the bait?'.

At a fishing show, a pro described the Bass bite, as imagining pulling on your T-shirt with thumb and forefinger, as if you were removing a gnat without hurting the gnat. He-s just inhaling water, like you would inhale air.

If/when you feel that little rubber band release pressure....already too late.

I prefer spinnerbaits-a lot more positive feedback. If it stops on the retrieve...often a fish or stuck or both:eek:

I enjoy fishing, I just don't catch much. My buddies call me 'backlash billy' or just 'bird'snest' for short.

Kaiser Bob
09-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Fishing thread, nice! It makes sense there would be some avid fishermen here, many people enjoy more then one hobby and fishing is probably in the top 10 overall. I can thank my grandfather for my interest, taking me party boat fishing 3-4 times a month in the summertime in NJ. A bit of a crapshoot but it set the stage for later when I moved down to MS. I haven't gotten a chance to do any fishing up here in CO but I do want to rent a boat and take it up to a lake one weekend, so any advice on where to go would be helpful! Here's a 50# blue cat I snagged near Heflin L&D in AL..

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/KaiserBob/2012-05-28115157.jpg

SmoothStroke
09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
RayJay,,, KaiserBob.....nice fish
3rail....BacklashBilly ...that is funny
Sloppy...That is a very interesting story about the gentleman you met on the beach.

SpiderWebComm
09-13-2013, 03:45 PM

I'd agree that the variables in fishing outweigh pool. That said, nobody can convince me that flicking and twitching a fishing rod is harder than stroking straight (especially under pressure). You never really have pressure fishing unless you're gambling or starving.

I mean, I could put a dough ball or a minnow on a hook and toss the thing in a pond and let a quadriplegic hold the rod with his teeth and he's almost guaranteed to catch a fish, right? :)

Anyways, here's my biggest guppy:
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9672/jlho.jpg

I mean, all we did was troll around until something bit the lure LOL wasn't that hard. Almost as good as me trolling this thread getting all the fisherman worked-up and instigated.

Captain John---

Very nice fish and very nice website you have there. I'd def hire you as a guide-- you have some gorgeous fish there, sir!

SmoothStroke
09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd agree that the variables in fishing outweigh pool. That said, nobody can convince me that flicking and twitching a fishing rod is harder than stroking straight (especially under pressure). You never really have pressure fishing unless you're gambling or starving.

I mean, I could put a dough ball or a minnow on a hook and toss the thing in a pond and let a quadriplegic hold the rod with his teeth and he's almost guaranteed to catch a fish, right? :)

Anyways, here's my biggest guppy:
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9672/jlho.jpg

I mean, all we did was troll around until something bit the lure LOL wasn't that hard. Almost as good as me trolling this thread getting all the fisherman worked-up and instigated.

Captain John---

Very nice fish and very nice website you have there. I'd def hire you as a guide-- you have some gorgeous fish there, sir!

No Disrespect to you or the captain. I am sure the Captain is a fine fisherman
That is what we call Stupid Fishing. Although there is some science, mainly water temperature. Troll for 70000 miles in the temps favored and hope you hook up. If you do not think there is pressure in fishing try being a Charter Captain or a Guide, arrive at the dock fishless after a $ 1200 dollar pay day.
It's so easy, as you say; even a quadriplegic can do it.
I don't dispute the difficulty of pool myself; I think it is the most difficult game on earth. I just happen to do both "Extremely Well"

P.S. Your trolling skills are lacking, The aiming threads are over that way^^>><<<^^