PDA

View Full Version : Paul Sumrall

Monstermash
09-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I recently did a trade for one of Paul's (AZ screen name "Sonofthunder") cues and it was damaged in shipping.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you to Paul for spending some time on the phone with me today. He offered to provide me with a letter stating the value of the cue for the claim that I will be filing with the USPS.

Paul was a nice guy and very knowledgable. Should anyone here be considering ordering a cue from him I would recommend it. :thumbup:

The damage on the cue is not bad enough that I can't play with it so I will hit some balls with it tonight and edit the post to include a quick review regarding playability in case anyone is interested.

Edit: So I had a chance to play with the cue for a bit tonight. I have to say, I was impressed. The cue was stiff but not overly so and I had no trouble pocketing balls. I really like the taper of the shafts and the short Ivory ferrules. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the soft layered tips that are currently installed on the cue. I think I'm going to install Moori mediums and then I think it will be even better.

mel_smOg
09-10-2013, 10:55 AM
I am interested in playablitiy review, ahve seen his cue on forums and always wondered how do they play

cueaddicts
09-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I take it this was not shipped with an inner pvc tube "liner" inside the shipping box?

Monstermash
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I take it this was not shipped with an inner pvc tube "liner" inside the shipping box?

Ummm... no. :confused:

Not only that, it had one layer of bubble wrap. It was in one of those plastic sleeves and then had some brown paper wrapped around it. :frown:

Spimp13
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
When I had my cue made by Paul we spoke on the phone multiple times discussing it. He also sent me pictures multiple times showing progress. It was a very good experience and I would definitely recommend talking to him if you are thinking of maybe ordering a cue.

cueaddicts
09-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Yowzers. All the carriers seem to have gotten so rough handling packages lately. I just go ahead and spend the extra $3.50 for a section of pvc and a little more for the extra weight. Seems like a much safer way to go imo and I recommend it to anyone. Hope the claim works out for you guys.

junkbond
09-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I am interested in playablitiy review, ahve seen his cue on forums and always wondered how do they play
I have three of Paul's cues and they are dynamite players. Solid, hard-hitting cues. I don't doubt that anyone can play his best game with one of Paul's cues.

I bought my Sumrall cues used from other players and sent one of them to Paul for a refinish and rewrap. I talked to Paul on the phone several times and he seems to be a really nice guy who is sincerely interested in the quality of his cues and the service he provides.

elvicash
09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Paul is a good guy, lives neAr Lubbock, TX. He is a player and loves pool. He can make a full splice with veneers so that is a big separator in skills. I have a full splice ebony with super long points. Nice cue.

DblGonzo
09-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Paul is a super nice guy. I bought one of his cues from a third party and it appears that they tried to get it refinished and it was very poor work. What I thought were small dings were bubbles that had popped on the surface. I sent it to Paul and he gave me a great deal on a complete re-finish and has shipped it out. It is scheduled to arrive today and I am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting.

He spent extra time making sure the cue was going to be exactly the way I wanted it. Extra time was taken because the first and second leather wrap I chose just did not look right. He went beyond what I was expecting.

Island Drive
09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Paul is a super nice guy. I bought one of his cues from a third party and it appears that they tried to get it refinished and it was very poor work. What I thought were small dings were bubbles that had popped on the surface. I sent it to Paul and he gave me a great deal on a complete re-finish and has shipped it out. It is scheduled to arrive today and I am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting.

He spent extra time making sure the cue was going to be exactly the way I wanted it. Extra time was taken because the first and second leather wrap I chose just did not look right. He went beyond what I was expecting.

Sounds like allot of common sense and honesty. Life's simple if addressed in this manner whether it be family, friends or work. If your otta' line the public ''is your teacher'' . If you listen, react and adjust, doesn't take much more than that. The truth is difficult to forget.

Paul, keep it up.

sonofthunder
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I want to take time to thank ALL of you who posted those humbling words!!
A shout out to Bill. You sir Play. I was in the Springs during the mid eighties, got to see some great Action. You, Scott, Junior,Danny,Grady ... just to drop some names. And a bunch of road players.... lessons learned the hard way. Great times
Paul Sumrall S&S Cues