PDA

View Full Version : retapering a shaft, wich one would be better on the thin side?

poolguppy
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Im getting another cue coming next week sometime, and its coming with two shafts, one rock maple and one laminated rock maple, both 12.5mm. Even though I learned on a 12.5mm shaft, the first time I picked up my current meucci with a 10.5mm shaft I was much more accurate with it, least when im playing slower. So I would like to have one of the two shafts trimmed down to around 11mm. Ive never shot with either of these materials (that I know of), between the laminated and the non, any ideas which one would be the better candidate? both perfect condition and have only been test hit. I would just get a third shaft for it, but the two shafts have matching ivory joints and ferrules to the ebony/ivory butt which I love, and I assume it'd be a lot cheaper to have one altered than buy another shaft. Anyone ever had this done before?

RRfireblade
09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Can't say without knowing the specific details of each, for instance many laminated shafts have minimum diameter requirements based on certain types of construction.

Just from past experiences though, I generally feel more comfortable taking solid shafts down to smaller diameters than laminated shafts. They seem to be more stable and predictable, lam shafts sometimes do strange/unexpected things.

poolguppy
09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Thank you thats exactly what i was wondering about, i will get ahold of the maker and see if he recalls anything about the laminated blank he used, but it was made back in 07-08 so probably not, even though he only did a few cues a year. i'll plan on trimming the solid shaft, thanks again, now just to track down a local cuemaker...

ENGLISH!
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
A local cue guy here in the N.O. area would not turn down a laminated shaft that I have because he said that the heat can make the clue break down.

I don't know.

sfleinen
09-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Can't say without knowing the specific details of each, for instance many laminated shafts have minimum diameter requirements based on certain types of construction.

Just from past experiences though, I generally feel more comfortable taking solid shafts down to smaller diameters than laminated shafts. They seem to be more stable and predictable, lam shafts sometimes do strange/unexpected things.

I would agree with this. Think about most laminated shafts -- which, incidentally (sans the Tiger Ultra-X products), also happen to be LD, and therefore the first 6 or so inches nearest the tip is hollow. Taking the diameter of the shaft down, especially in that area, would result in a much thinner "wall" around that air gap near the tip. Some unpredictable things can happen, not the least of which is significantly changing the hit/feel of the shaft.

Best to buy the laminated shaft in that smaller diameter -- e.g. OB's "OB-2" and "Pro" (formerly named "Classic Pro") shafts, which are 11.75mm. One thing to consider, since we're mentioning OB here, is that OB's method of lamination removes/relieves the natural stresses of the wood, vs. merely pie-slicing which just re-orients the grain of the wood. So an OB in that thinner diameter may outperform other lam shafts in that thinner diameter for that reason.

-Sean

poolguppy
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
thanks for the great input guys! i'll play it safe and have the solid shaft turned down for sure. maybe down the road hit around with a couple small diameter made laminates and see how i like them, i'll have some pics up of this beauty maybe next week :)

j_zippel
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
thanks for the great input guys! i'll play it safe and have the solid shaft turned down for sure. maybe down the road hit around with a couple small diameter made laminates and see how i like them, i'll have some pics up of this beauty maybe next week :)

good call, turn the solid shaft down.. My luck would have it if i tapered the laminated shaft there could be a glue void that could eventually lead to a delamination.

poolguppy
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
While the thread is still going, any idea how much I should expect to pay for this? figure I need a new ferrule and tip. Im expecting under 100....

ENGLISH!
09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
While the thread is still going, any idea how much I should expect to pay for this? figure I need a new ferrule and tip. Im expecting under 100....

A local cue guy in N.O. just quoted me $24.00. He said he can turn down the whole thing, tip, ferrule, & shaft.

I don't know.

PaulieB
09-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't break with the turned down shaft. If the ferrule has a 5/16" tenon in it and you turn it down to 11mm it will only leave a wall of 1.5 mm or so... other than that you will probably be ok.

poolguppy
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't break with the turned down shaft. If the ferrule has a 5/16" tenon in it and you turn it down to 11mm it will only leave a wall of 1.5 mm or so... other than that you will probably be ok.

no doubt! i have a breaking cue :) and the other 12.5mm shaft but im told to not break with ivory joints very often... my older brother is hooking me up with his cue mechanic, cant recall the name but he gave my bro a 1k dollar cue that shoots out of this world, feels like you cant miss when shooting with it

iusedtoberich
09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Are you "sure" the shaft you like is 10.5mm? How did you measure it? I ask, because a lot of people take a guess or go by what someone told them, and they are way off when actually measuring the shaft with an accurate tool.

10.5 mm is super thin. I did cue repairs for several years, and if a customer asked me to turn a shaft to 10.5 mm, I'd politely decline. You have to remove a LOT of material, especially in the back half of the shaft to keep the taper smooth and gradual if the tip is 10.5mm. You also have the trouble of reducing the ferrule wall. When doing repairs on a shaft you didn't build, you are taking an educated guess how the ferrule was designed and installed. It is possible you might cut almost the entire wall of the ferrule off if a large diameter tenon was used. Then, the job becomes an even bigger headache.

No thanks, I wouldn't go near it.

poolguppy
09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
It was just my estimate that it was 10.5, just measured it and my micrometer clocks it at 10.7. though im thinking with the retaper I will go to 11.5 and see how I like that first.