PDA

View Full Version : BCA rule question: hanging/wedged balls

baller4lifeii
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey all, I would like to know what the official BCA rules say about balls hanging (wedged) in the opening of a pocket.

Please see the pictures. The balls are hanging in the opening because of the black rubber surrounding the pocket.

I had this happen to me during an APA tournament, and according to the LO, if you can remove one ball (pick it up) and the other falls, then they both fall.

The same thing happened to me again under BCA rules, and no one knew what to do. Some said both balls should come back on the table, some said they should stay the way they are, but no one was sure of the right thing.

For future references, what does the BCA rule book say about this situation?

Thanks.

guelphdad
09-10-2013, 01:45 PM
From their rules the ball would be pocketed if one of the balls is removed and the other falls.

See 8.3 Ball Pocketed
http://home.bca-pool.com/associations/7744/files/RulesDefinitions_January2008.pdf

Jude Rosenstock
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Both balls are considered pocketed. In order for a ball to be "on the table", nothing else can support it except the bed of the table. If another ball is supporting it, it's considered pocketed. In this picture, both balls are preventing the other from falling so both are pocketed.

Travis3c
09-10-2013, 04:20 PM
That wouldn't ever happen if the pocket angles was correctly cut.

Nostroke
09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
it happens with 'normal pocket cuts' but just not that extreme where the balls have already dropped substantially

baller4lifeii
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I had a hunch this must be the case, but had no supporting evidence.

From their rules the ball would be pocketed if one of the balls is removed and the other falls.

See 8.3 Ball Pocketed
http://home.bca-pool.com/associations/7744/files/RulesDefinitions_January2008.pdf

calcuttaman
09-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey all, I would like to know what the official BCA rules say about balls hanging (wedged) in the opening of a pocket.Did you mean to say BCAPL rules? If so, from the current rulebook...

1-47 Jawed Balls

If balls are wedged in the mouth of a pocket, a referee will inspect them and judge whether, if they were free to fall directly downward, the balls would come to rest on the bed of the table or in the pocket. The referee will then place the balls in the positions as judged and play will continue. (Suspended in air above bed of table clause deleted.)

Jude Rosenstock
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
That wouldn't ever happen if the pocket angles was correctly cut.

I've had that happen on standard-cut Diamond Pro/Ams that have 4.5" pockets (exact width of 2 balls). I don't think it could happen on a standard Brunswick that uses 5.25".

DogsPlayingPool
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't think it could happen on a standard Brunswick that uses 5.25".

I believe the situation would be handled the same way with 3 or 4 wedged balls - they all would be considered pocketed. :rotflmao1:

Jude Rosenstock
09-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I believe the situation would be handled the same way with 3 or 4 wedged balls - they all would be considered pocketed. :rotflmao1:

Yeah, I so hate it when I wedge 3 balls in a pocket. Shit happens too much in my life. :)