PDA

View Full Version : Is An LD Shaft Helpful On A Bar Box?

Johnnyt
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't think you get any advantage using an LD shaft on a BB. While playing on them you rarely have a shot over 6'. I've used a Viking with a hard maple shaft and a Cuetec R-360 with the LD shaft and could tell no difference. The pockets were 4" including the sides. Can anyone tell the difference? Johnnyt

ENGLISH!
09-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't think you get any advantage using an LD shaft on a BB. While playing on them you rarely have a shot over 6'. I've used a Viking with a hard maple shaft and a Cuetec R-360 with the LD shaft and could tell no difference. The pockets were 4" including the sides. Can anyone tell the difference? Johnnyt

I would say yes, that is, if you are shooting with english. I find that I use english even more so, if that is possible on a BB due to the congestion. Maybe it is more so for me, as I play well away from center & not just a 1/2 tip here or 1 tip there. I am cheating pockets & throwing the OB in & spinning off of rails.

So, I guess it would come down to ones style of play as to exactly how much benefit one would preceive.

Best Wishes,
Rick

Jaden
09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Most ld shafts are good for parallel shifting from a center point aim on shots up to 6' feet, beyond that, they require minute adjustment for squirt and swerve.

So it's actually easier to use them on a barbox cause you can just parallel shift from a center aimpoint for most shots....so long as they aren't hit too soft...

Jaden

oneballeddie
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM

I've found deflection can bite you when you're only a few inches between CB and OB!

CreeDo
09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I think one of the AZers said it best, but can't find the post. Basically "if you think there's no such
thing as a long shot on a barbox you're crazy"...it's true there are fewer but it still comes up.
When they do, I want to be able to spin the ball and not worry about compensating.

If you play very smart and carefully you can probably run multiple racks with a house cue
on a 7 foot table. But really you should just use whatever feels comfortable and makes you confident.

Bambu
09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
For me, it all depends on the cue ball. Normal cue ball, I use my normal Z-2 cue. If its big or heavy, or both....I prefer a more solid shaft or cue.

Johnnyt
09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
For me, it all depends on the cue ball. Normal cue ball, I use my normal Z-2 cue. If its big or heavy, or both....I prefer a more solid shaft or cue.

Good Thinking. I do the same. Johnnyt

iusedtoberich
09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
For me, the shot length makes no differnce. I've been using LD shafts since the late 90's. If I borrow a buddies standard deflection cue to hit a 1 foot long cut shot with outside, I'm going to miss it by a mile.

I hardly ever go to bars, but on the few occasions I have, I've played on the Valley bar boxes with their house cues. I found it extremely difficult to pocket balls I would make all day if I had my own cue with me.

So yes, to me the deflection difference is huge, no matter the table size or shot distance.

FrankieD
09-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd be more concerned with adjusting to a different cues behavior than the adjustment for the shorter table.

Jude Rosenstock
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Until they start making 12" pockets, I'm going to go out on a limb and say everyone occasionally misses on every table. It may take a little more time for some but everyone eventually misses. Assuming you miss sometimes, you might as well give yourself the best odds and use the cue you miss the least with.