PDA

View Full Version : Best "standard" Shaft

BeiberLvr
09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
I've been using a Z2 for over a year, and I really like it.

However, I've been thinking about picking up a standard maple shaft, and have no idea where to start.

My only preference at this point is that it be 11.75. Obviously I can always get a 13 and have it turned down.

softshot
09-10-2013, 10:52 PM

However, I've been thinking about picking up a standard maple shaft, and have no idea where to start.

My only preference at this point is that it be 11.75. Obviously I can always get a 13 and have it turned down.

quit worrying about your gear and start worrying about your back hand..

buy any stock Mcdermott, Viking. or Schon pay more than $200.. and quit changing gear.. work your ass off and you will get better... skill comes from sweat and hard work... not the pro shop

poolplayer2093
09-10-2013, 11:30 PM

buy any stock Mcdermott, Viking. or Schon pay more than $200.. and quit changing gear.. work your ass off and you will get better... skill comes from sweat and hard work... not the pro shop

i like to think i'd be a lot f'n better if i quit switching my equipment. i just couldn't resist myself though. the new cues just look so f'n cool

3andstop
09-11-2013, 02:28 AM

I agree with most of what you've been posting, but why does a shaft have to cost more than 200?

I'm perfectly happy with a 40 or 50 dollar shaft from any number of vendors on Ebay. I taper and resize it and put the tip I like on myself and call it a day.

SakuJack
09-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Why do you want to switch from your Z2?

Bambu
09-11-2013, 06:09 AM
I agree with most of what you've been posting, but why does a shaft have to cost more than 200?

I'm perfectly happy with a 40 or 50 dollar shaft from any number of vendors on Ebay. I taper and resize it and put the tip I like on myself and call it a day.

It doesn't need to cost more than 200, unless you ask what the best shafts are. We always want the best, but get what we pay for.

rayjay
09-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Steve Klapp has a stock of dense, old growth maple. I have one of these shafts on the way, and if it plays the way I think it will, more will follow. It was a pleasure to talk with Steve about what I want in a shaft and how it will compliment my game. Give him a call, this is the best shaftwood available anywhere, and it's reasonable.
http://www.klappcustomcues.com/#!blank/c4m3

putt-putt44
09-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Check out Jim Pierce's Bowling Alley Shafts,,,,

I had 3 made so far and am expecting another 2 by Friday,,,

They hit like one of my old ''Rambow's''

Try either an ''Ultra Skins'' or a ''Mild Dud'' tip and you'll be in Heaven,,,,

Like ''Freddy ''The Beard'' Would say,,,''You can thank me later'',!!!

Alan,,

Cornerman
09-11-2013, 08:36 AM

I'd start with Muellers

3andstop
09-11-2013, 10:37 AM
It doesn't need to cost more than 200, unless you ask what the best shafts are. We always want the best, but get what we pay for.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO there ain't nuthin about a piece of wood that small that makes it worth 200 bucks.

Bambu
09-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO there ain't nuthin about a piece of wood that small that makes it worth 200 bucks.

All good, its just a matter of opinion. If you want something inexpensive, I recommend the McDermott Lucky Cue for less than $50.

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/lucky-cues-l9.html

Jude Rosenstock
09-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm a diehard Predator user and if I ever had to switch to a non-laminated shaft, I would have to go with Southwest. I can't say I'm any sort of cue expert since I've only tried a few dozen cues over my lifetime but Southwest stands out for me most as a low-deflection cue.

poolguy4u
09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
If you have a lathe with tooling, a good tip, a piece of Elforyn for the ferrule, a brass insert, and make a shaft collar, you can make a good shaft for around $70.

You can buy a shaft blank almost finished for around $25 already turned down close to 13mm.

Shafts cost $200 because you are paying for labor and help pay for the lathe, tooling, sandpaper and everything else that is needed.

Of course you can buy a factory 2nd McDermott shaft or a shaft made in Taiwan for...well, I don't want to say since I might sell them on Ebay.:grin:

SmoothStroke
09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Steve Klapp has a stock of dense, old growth maple. I have one of these shafts on the way, and if it plays the way I think it will, more will follow. It was a pleasure to talk with Steve about what I want in a shaft and how it will compliment my game. Give him a call, this is the best shaftwood available anywhere, and it's reasonable.
http://www.klappcustomcues.com/#!blank/c4m3

I have yet to see or hit with a shaft like Steves'. That includes any Bushka ,Boti or any other cue I have owned,touched,played,or looked at.
Some are in the ballpark,,that is it,,,just in the ballpark...Like the bleechers

Ron Swanson
09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm a diehard Predator user and if I ever had to switch to a non-laminated shaft, I would have to go with Southwest. I can't say I'm any sort of cue expert since I've only tried a few dozen cues over my lifetime but Southwest stands out for me most as a low-deflection cue.

Are SWs LD?

3andstop
09-11-2013, 12:18 PM
If you have a lathe with tooling, a good tip, a piece of Elforyn for the ferrule, a brass insert, and make a shaft collar, you can make a good shaft for around $70.

You can buy a shaft blank almost finished for around $25 already turned down close to 13mm.

Shafts cost $200 because you are paying for labor and help pay for the lathe, tooling, sandpaper and everything else that is needed.

Of course you can buy a factory 2nd McDermott shaft or a shaft made in Taiwan for...well, I don't want to say since I might sell them on Ebay.:grin:

I knew it ..... I knew it .... 30 bucks is too much for 3 oz of maple. :speechless:

poolguy4u
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I knew it ..... I knew it .... 30 bucks is too much for 3 oz of maple. :speechless:

It would of been cheaper but shipping is usually around $6 plus Ebay charges $3 plus the cost for the box, tape, and ink to print the label.:thumbup:

softshot
09-11-2013, 01:28 PM

most of what you pay for is someone who knows what to look for to pick over the big pile of maple and get the best shaft wood.. and for my Money Larry at McDermott knows more about maple than any 3 other cue-makers put together AND he's got the biggest pile of maple in North America to pick through..

softshot
09-11-2013, 01:38 PM
and BTW I didn't mean spend $200 on just a shaft I meant spend more than $200 on a cue.. because that's the price range where you start to get quality wood... the cheaper stuff is decals and stickers and budget cues..

3andstop
09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
and BTW I didn't mean spend $200 on just a shaft I meant spend more than $200 on a cue.. because that's the price range where you start to get quality wood... the cheaper stuff is decals and stickers and budget cues..

Ahh ... that makes more sense to me! :thumbup:

Mikjary
09-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Every couple of years I buy a $200-$300 McDermott with a standard shaft. The medium hard triangle tips can be changed out for something softer. I play the crap out of them and they can do anything I need them to do.

I've owned a bunch of cues from a Szam to a Meucci. I have no problem showing up to tourneys with top players and a cheap cue. It really makes them hate you when you run out and they have a $2,000 masterpiece, jump cue, extender, break cue, leather suitcase, etc., and they're not using them. :grin-square: I jump full balls and break with it, too.

I've used LD shafts, but didn't really see a jump in my game. Just a little loss of spin ability. Try a cheap McDermott with the standard shaft. They hit just as good as the big boys with half the hype.

Best,
Mike

n0th1ng
09-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Since when Southwest makes LD shafts???

steveinflorida
09-12-2013, 09:58 AM
David Jacoby makes a real good shaft (imho).
However, keep in mind, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

ratcues
09-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I'd start with Muellers

Always listen to Freddie!:D

rayjay
09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
David Jacoby makes a real good shaft (imho).
However, keep in mind, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

No. It's the archer AND the arrow. No decent archer in his right mind is going to willingly use an inferior arrow. Geeesh.

Bigb'scues
09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I have yet to see or hit with a shaft like Steves'. That includes any Bushka ,Boti or any other cue I have owned,touched,played,or looked at.
Some are in the ballpark,,that is it,,,just in the ballpark...Like the bleechers

I could not agree anymore.....hands down best playing stuff out there.
And for 150$ a shaft!!!!! That's a crazy price. I highly reccommend that
You jump on this before they are all gone...cuz they are goin fast.

www.klappcustomcues.com

Banks
09-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Valley. FTW. :thumbup2:

9Ballr
09-16-2013, 11:48 AM

You say you "really like" the Z2. Then why change?
Many top players use the Z2 and seem to do just fine with it.

How much do you expect your game will change, assumingly for the better,
with a "standard maple shaft"?

ceebee
09-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I like the wooden ones. The aluminum & fiberglass just don't do it for me.