PDA

View Full Version : State of the custom cue world

pathman
09-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I have been on a binge of cue and case buying in the last couple of months after being dormant for the last several years. What I have found are lots, and I mean lots, of really good cuemakers that were and are still relatively unknown to our little click of cue experts. I can honestly say I haven't had a bad cue delivered to me from anybody. Seems like the level of construction, inlay and finish has reached a level that only a very few cue builders could have pulled off 20 years ago. Hit is always subjective, so some I have liked and some I have not, and the ones that won't see any playing time are being culled out of my modest collection. I don't really have a collectors mentality, if I like a cue enough, it will stick around, if not I pass it on and keep trying new cues. I have narrowed down my new faves to a couple of builders that are new to me and have ordered fancier examples of their work and will soon be showing off new pics in the gallery before I go back into cue hibernation. I have some really nice "player" level cues that will be on the block soon for other guys to try. This round has been fun, seems like a really great time to be experimenting.

jhanso18
09-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Sounds like fun! Mind sharing what you've found?

pathman
09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Sounds like fun! Mind sharing what you've found?

What I've found, Kenny Murrell, my absolute favorite "new" cue builder, Robert Harris, best bang for the buck, really nice playing cues, Kent Davis, maybe the nicest guy in the business, sending me a demo cue till my custom is ready, Tonkin, very very nice cue, Prewitt, perfectly executed cues, Alex Brick, new shaft tapers, monster players, Lambros, still the same, perfect. Mike Wheeler, born again hard!!, Mike is building classic old school four points that are all monster players, sure I've left someone out. Case wise, Al Kinghorn, get one, period, Rusty Melton, awesome, get one. Barton, very functional, Chuck Fields, should be here any day now, seems like a really nice guy and I have high hopes for the case.

Bavafongoul
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I have wanted a specific design cue for the longest time and never found a cue that came close. So in October 2012 I started researching cue-makers and at the end of this June, I selected the cue-maker. I sent him details of exactly what I want him to build and he said that he can build me the cue using my design. It was difficult choosing which cue-maker to use and delivery time was a factor because I didn't want to wait longer than a year from order date for the cue to be delivered.

Then I also had to find a cue-maker whom would collaborate on my design and produce for me a truly handsome and best playing cue imaginable...........I was lucky and selected a wonderful cue-maker.........stay tuned for progress photos of the cue build..

jhanso18
09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
What I've found, Kenny Murrell, my absolute favorite "new" cue builder, Robert Harris, best bang for the buck, really nice playing cues, Kent Davis, maybe the nicest guy in the business, sending me a demo cue till my custom is ready, Tonkin, very very nice cue, Prewitt, perfectly executed cues, Alex Brick, new shaft tapers, monster players, Lambros, still the same, perfect. Mike Wheeler, born again hard!!, Mike is building classic old school four points that are all monster players, sure I've left someone out. Case wise, Al Kinghorn, get one, period, Rusty Melton, awesome, get one. Barton, very functional, Chuck Fields, should be here any day now, seems like a really nice guy and I have high hopes for the case.

That's a pretty impressive list. If you feel so inclined, give me a shout, and we can get you hooked up with one of ours. I'd love to hear how you feel Keith Kues stacks up to these other fine makers!

Tro
09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree 10000000% on the Lambros, King, and Melton praise.