PDA

View Full Version : Paint remover.

JUSTABANGER 2
09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm looking for the best and easiest to use paint stripper or remover. I bought and old cue rack that someone painted bright orange. I'm sure someone on here can point me in the right direction

Blue Hog ridr
09-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Gin. Oops, don't have the glasses on. I thought you typed something else.

Anyway, when I get a hold of an old Snooker cue, I always remove the clear with a stripper, obviously. There are many different brands out there.

The one I use is glue friendly. Read the label. Thats about all I can relate unless you would like to know what specific brand I use and then I can go down to the Dungeon
and find out.

Other than being glue friendly, they all work ok. I have never had a problem using the brand that I do. I have never melted the glue at the points nor has it affected any inlays.

Now, the cues that I have used a stripper on have all been my own with the exception of the two snooker cues that I am working on now.

If I were to get someone elses cue and it had veneers and lots of inlays, I would have to decide as to whether I was going to use a stripper or the old scrape and sand method. It might be a 50/50 thing for me as I wouldn't want to mess up someone elses cue. Sometimes better to err on the good side of judgement or however they say it.

If you don't have a lathe, then sanding wouldn't be the best method as you could easily take the cue out of round if you got to being a busy little Beaver.

If you are interested in an oil finish after the clear removal, I suggest this product.

Dr. Wood Well.

http://www.drwoodwell.com/

have a look and I will guarantee that you will be most pleased with the end result. There is enuff in the small bottle to do a ton of cues. Very easy to use and only takes one or two at the most coats or wipes.

Sorry, Cue Rack and not a Cue. I told you that I wasn't wearing my glasses. Please disregard my other ramblings then as I tend to always make a short story Long.

But, the great news is that Dr, Wood Well can make that rack look like a million bucks.

DallasHopps
09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
For a cue rack, I wouldn't worry too much about the glue-friendly as its likely assembled with bolts or screws. If you can disassemble it, your end result will be better.

I recently used Aircraft Remover to strip a Mosin Nagant gun stock... 75 years of grime, shellac, and cosmoline came off pretty well.

Good luck on the project!

wineslob
09-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I do restorations on old Bamboo fly rods. The best thing I've found is Citristrip. It won't harm the glue, works fast (15 min) and smells good.

Blue Hog ridr
09-11-2013, 12:58 PM
[quote]Aircraft Remover{/quote]

Insert Jane Fonda photo op joke here.

bank buster
09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
I do restorations on old Bamboo fly rods. The best thing I've found is Citristrip. It won't harm the glue, works fast (15 min) and smells good.
I do refinishing work as well and I highly recommend it!

decent dennis
09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Make sure to let the stripper do its thing ,keep it wet. What kind 0f wood is it? If it's oak a brass brush and paint thinner afterwards might be used.

whammo57
09-11-2013, 01:43 PM
220 sandpaper no load.......... it takes a little longer but it works for me..............

Kim