PDA

View Full Version : We may not know the million $$ answer

Joe T
09-11-2013, 12:42 PM
But we have a great alternative in the meantime, “The American Billiard Club Association”
512 players across the nation each competing in 1 match per week while trying to earn their way towards a national championship every 8 weeks.

We will be hosting our first national championship Oct 12th at Diamond Billiards in Midlothian VA.
We were only able to get 9 rooms off the ground for this first session but hats off to those who made it happen AND the formula still works :) We will have 8 players qualified for a 1 day event and all are guaranteed a minimum $1,000. We will be hosting all of our national events as close in location and time to other pro events as possible in an effort to help players cover their costs if they choose to attend those events also.

We had a 12 player regional event this past weekend and I was overwhelmed with the positive reactions. (All 12 players played three 100 point games in a RR format, 8 cashed & moved on to two single elimination rounds) Most importantly people are starting to see the big picture and are wanting to become part of this united format. One of the best thing I heard this weekend was from an aspiring player “I hope our rooms gets some really tough players” he said that because he wants to play tougher players weekly in this non handicapped 15 ball format. I can’t tell you how fast that attitude is disappearing across this country; we are losing the love for the sport/game, the desire to improve and replacing it with “How much weight do I get” & I don’t play on 9 footers, lol.

We are looking to add rooms for our next session starting late Oct and all help is appreciated;
8 in TX
8 in CA
4 in VA
4 in Midwest
And we are going to fill some gaps in NC & FL
New England has 4 solid rooms now
(Thanks for hosting our regional event Dan and getting in next session, Stix & Stones Abington MA)
NY & Philly players really need get off their butts, not all lol because there will some willing bodies just not enough to make it happen.

Jamaica Joe’s in OKC has already started to move towards fulfilling my ultimate dream of having each of our players sponsored by local businesses in the area of $100 per month. I believe they already have 5 sponsors lined up for our next session. Imagine 512 players sponsored by local businesses outside our industry at just $100 per month! Zero expenses for players and 600K coming into the sport. We have many wonderful things that can be done once we’re at 64 rooms and 512 players so please, let’s make it happen.

mrmagoo42
09-11-2013, 01:02 PM
have a place to track player's progress and event coverage (facebook, web page)?

Joe T
09-11-2013, 01:29 PM
have a place to track player's progress and event coverage (facebook, web page)?

Right now the rooms track their 8 players and send the top 4 to their regional events. For next session we will list all rooms on our site (which is temporary right now www.ABCPL.info) and link to the Challonge website with their results, looks like this; http://challonge.com/abclAmazins Thanks Okie :wink:
Right now facebook is tracking our overall progress pretty good; https://www.facebook.com/AmericanBilliardClubLeague?fref=ts

mrmagoo42
09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the update. Hope this gains traction and boosts the popularity of pool on a nine foot table across the country.

Cdryden
09-11-2013, 03:05 PM
But we have a great alternative in the meantime, “The American Billiard Club Association”
512 players across the nation each competing in 1 match per week while trying to earn their way towards a national championship every 8 weeks.

We will be hosting our first national championship Oct 12th at Diamond Billiards in Midlothian VA.
We were only able to get 9 rooms off the ground for this first session but hats off to those who made it happen AND the formula still works :) We will have 8 players qualified for a 1 day event and all are guaranteed a minimum $1,000. We will be hosting all of our national events as close in location and time to other pro events as possible in an effort to help players cover their costs if they choose to attend those events also.

We had a 12 player regional event this past weekend and I was overwhelmed with the positive reactions. (All 12 players played three 100 point games in a RR format, 8 cashed & moved on to two single elimination rounds) Most importantly people are starting to see the big picture and are wanting to become part of this united format. One of the best thing I heard this weekend was from an aspiring player “I hope our rooms gets some really tough players” he said that because he wants to play tougher players weekly in this non handicapped 15 ball format. I can’t tell you how fast that attitude is disappearing across this country; we are losing the love for the sport/game, the desire to improve and replacing it with “How much weight do I get” & I don’t play on 9 footers, lol.

We are looking to add rooms for our next session starting late Oct and all help is appreciated;
8 in TX
8 in CA
4 in VA
4 in Midwest
(Thanks for hosting our regional event Dan and getting in next session, Stix & Stones Abington MA)
NY & Philly players really need get off their butts, not all lol because there will some willing bodies just not enough to make it happen.

Jamaica Joe’s in OKC has already started to move towards fulfilling my ultimate dream of having each of our players sponsored by local businesses in the area of $100 per month. I believe they already have 5 sponsors lined up for our next session. Imagine 512 players sponsored by local businesses outside our industry at just $100 per month! Zero expenses for players and 600K coming into the sport. We have many wonderful things that can be done once we’re at 64 rooms and 512 players so please, let’s make it happen.

Best of luck to ya Joe. You got anything going on near St. Louis?

KoolKat9Lives
09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
B & R % in 15 ball Am Ro = .05% (just guessing from what I saw, but I'm jaded because I missed advancing by 6 points out of 700 ;))

Anyone can play it, it's easily handicapped too. I'd gamble playing this game. It's that easy to pick up on and that enjoyable. It's like playing 10 ball call shot with 5more balls - or better said - like playing leap frog across a Los Angeles Freeway during rush hour!

If anyone is thinking @ joining this, just rack 15 balls and play call shot rotation - miss your call, incoming player can give it back. Or call safe. Simple as pie. I'd encourage any player to rack it a couple times and try it on.

Racking: One ball goes in the middle. 13 and 14 touching and right behind the 1 ball. 15 on the head spot. 1 point for balls 1-10, 2 points for 11 - 15. 20 points a rack. Enjoy!

DogsPlayingPool
09-11-2013, 08:23 PM
B & R % in 15 ball Am Ro = .05% (just guessing from what I saw, but I'm jaded because I missed advancing by 6 points out of 700 ;))

Anyone can play it, it's easily handicapped too. I'd gamble playing this game. It's that easy to pick up on and that enjoyable. It's like playing 10 ball call shot with 5more balls - or better said - like playing leap frog across a Los Angeles Freeway during rush hour!

If anyone is thinking @ joining this, just rack 15 balls and play call shot rotation - miss your call, incoming player can give it back. Or call safe. Simple as pie. I'd encourage any player to rack it a couple times and try it on.

Racking: One ball goes in the middle. 13 and 14 touching and right behind the 1 ball. 15 on the head spot. 1 point for balls 1-10, 2 points for 11 - 15. 20 points a rack. Enjoy!

15 ball goes on the head spot? :confused:

KoolKat9Lives
09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
15 ball goes on the head spot? :confused:

Indeed it does. Ohhh, and you get ball in hand after the break, even if you scratch, albeit balls pocketed on any foul are credited to your opponent. And it's alternate breaks.

Also, if on a non-break shot you make a ball you didn't call while not making your called ball, opponent receives the point(s) for that ball. It's basic common sense after a couple racks. I love the common sense rules.

DogsPlayingPool
09-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Indeed it does. Ohhh, and you get ball in hand after the break, even if you scratch, albeit balls pocketed on any foul are credited to your opponent. And it's alternate breaks.

Also, if on a non-break shot you make a ball you didn't call while not making your called ball, opponent receives the point(s) for that ball. It's basic common sense after a couple racks. I love the common sense rules.

Wait a minute. So the 15 ball isn't racked with the other balls but instead is placed up table on the head spot? That's weird.

AtLarge
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Wait a minute. So the 15 ball isn't racked with the other balls but instead is placed up table on the head spot? That's weird.

The 15-ball goes on the foot spot, not the head spot. It's the "head ball" in the rack.

Okie
09-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Don't forget the 2 and 3 are behind the 15 :)

Great game and great format with LOADS of possibilities!!

Ken

Okie
09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Right now the rooms track their 8 players and send the top 4 to their regional events. For next session we will list all rooms on our site (which is temporary right now www.ABCPL.info) and link to the Challonge website with their results, looks like this; http://challonge.com/abclAmazins Thanks Okie :wink:
Right now facebook is tracking our overall progress pretty good; https://www.facebook.com/AmericanBilliardClubLeague?fref=ts

Glad I could add a little something to your great idea!

Suggestion: I have Challonge setup in a way that I think you will like once you are given control.

People can go to http://abcpl.challonge.com/ and see all of your events listed by a descriptive event name. Also you can hand out admin privileges for each site to other registered users so you wouldn't have to keep up with each site.

Lastly, we will be streaming our finals on Saturday September 21st at http://justin.tv/jamaicajoes. Play should start around noon and continue until one man is left standing!

I am excited to see where this goes!

Ken

sixpack
09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Joe is there a way to see which pool halls near me might be participating? And which cities/areas you are looking for rooms?

Marie's husband
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Hope this makes it up to the WA area. Tried it last night and playing American Rotation on an eight foot bar box brings a lot more clusters and is pretty strategic to say the least.

I think this is a great opportunity for good things to happen in the pool world and hopefully it takes off. I do have some questions I would like to ask that I could not find on your facebook or web page.

1. The example of American Rotation is shown playing to 100 points. In the weekly play of the league, do you just play one match to 100 points?

2. Do the players pay for all seven weeks up front so that nobody quits once they realize they cant make it to the top 4 of their league? If not, who is on the "hook" for the money they owe?

3. The top 4 of your area league goes to play in a regional event that is within driving distance, and the top 8 of that event receives prize money and the top two move on to nationals. How is the top 8 prize money decided and does the top two also receive prize money from that event or is there prize money considered the guaranteed $1000 at nationals? I didnt know if top 8 prize money was a standard amount no matter what, or is it based off of expenses that would be required to go to nationals.
For instance, if nationals are held in Norfolk VA, the expenses of west coast players would be around $750 to just attend, so would the top 8 from regional events be adjusted so that positions 8-3 were lowered in prize money to compensate for added expenses or the standard is the same throughout the US.

4. So I am thinking that there is going to be 3 to 4 nationals a year because the leagues are only 7 weeks long and after doing regionals, maybe 10-11 weeks total to decide who goes to national?

Thank You very

Joe T
09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Best of luck to ya Joe. You got anything going on near St. Louis?

Not yet in St Louis but I will be sending info that way shortly, which rooms do you recommend? Best chances are proactive room owner and players who love the game. I started off targeting high level players cuz this is a dream come true for them, what I'm finding is a lot of those high level players aren't getting it, seeing the big picture I mean lol but a lot of pool lovers of any level are.

Joe T
09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I've watched the American Rotation match that featured Max Eberle and Ronnie Alcano. In general, although I haven't thoroughly reviewed the rules, I think the format is great and the league structure and strategic plan is totally sensible. In short, it's everything Bonus Ball didn't have. I'm looking forward to this.
Thanks Bob, its the sense thing and the product we can build for the industry & players that keeps me motivated.

Joe T
09-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Joe is there a way to see which pool halls near me might be participating? And which cities/areas you are looking for rooms?

I have a list of CA rooms that we'll be inviting for next session, just don't have it with me, lol but I am always open to advice from you guys, you tell me a room you think would be good and I'll do my best to get them on board. I can tell ya it isn't always the biggest and best room around, a lot of the out of the way rooms seem to get a lil more excited about being part of something big.

Joe T
09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Hope this makes it up to the WA area. Tried it last night and playing American Rotation on an eight foot bar box brings a lot more clusters and is pretty strategic to say the least.

I think this is a great opportunity for good things to happen in the pool world and hopefully it takes off. I do have some questions I would like to ask that I could not find on your facebook or web page.

1. The example of American Rotation is shown playing to 100 points. In the weekly play of the league, do you just play one match to 100 points?

2. Do the players pay for all seven weeks up front so that nobody quits once they realize they cant make it to the top 4 of their league? If not, who is on the "hook" for the money they owe?

3. The top 4 of your area league goes to play in a regional event that is within driving distance, and the top 8 of that event receives prize money and the top two move on to nationals. How is the top 8 prize money decided and does the top two also receive prize money from that event or is there prize money considered the guaranteed $1000 at nationals? I didnt know if top 8 prize money was a standard amount no matter what, or is it based off of expenses that would be required to go to nationals.
For instance, if nationals are held in Norfolk VA, the expenses of west coast players would be around $750 to just attend, so would the top 8 from regional events be adjusted so that positions 8-3 were lowered in prize money to compensate for added expenses or the standard is the same throughout the US.

4. So I am thinking that there is going to be 3 to 4 nationals a year because the leagues are only 7 weeks long and after doing regionals, maybe 10-11 weeks total to decide who goes to national?

Thank You very
Agreed with the 8 fts being tough, maybe as tough as the 9's. The weekly matches are races to 150. The Accu Stats crew just wasn't sure how the long the match would take so we played it safe.

We put the owner on the hook, lol for the dues but tell them to get at least $100 up front from each player and then have them pay remaining within next 3 weeks of play, last 3 weeks free, so far so good.

The $1,000 is just the standard amount the players are guaranteed at the nationals. Next session will be more specifically stated $250 for regional + $750 travel to the player that actually goes to the nationals, that way if a player can't make it the runner up can go. The regional payouts are based on 25% of region but not set in stone as of yet. Our NE regional just paid out 8 of 12 spots, lol

We're after 6 nationals per year. We can run a 7 week event, a regional on week 8 and schedule the nationals 30 days out but start another event on week 9. Right now we have to ease into it as everyone gets use the format.

Thank you for the questions & interest. We will get to WA asap, I know they love their pool up there. If you have time I would love for you to recommend 4 rooms spread across the region that we could invite.

DogsPlayingPool
09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
The 15-ball goes on the foot spot, not the head spot. It's the "head ball" in the rack.

This of course makes more sense.

Don't forget the 2 and 3 are behind the 15 :)

Ken

I just looked at the rules on the website and it doesn't say anything about this. It just says the 1 is in the middle and the 13 and 14 are behind it. All other balls racked random.

Okie
09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
This of course makes more sense.

I just looked at the rules on the website and it doesn't say anything about this. It just says the 1 is in the middle and the 13 and 14 are behind it. All other balls racked random.

Hmmm...I could be mistaken. I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Ken

Okie
09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Hmmm...I could be mistaken. I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Ken

From http://www.joetucker.net/americanrotation/American-Rotation-Rules.pdf

"Racking order;
15 ball is the head ball, the 2 and 3 balls are racked behind the 15. The 1 ball is in the middle of the rack with
the 13 & 14 balls behind the 1 ball with the rest of the balls placed in any order. Rack your own"

Good stuff!

Ken

DogsPlayingPool
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
From http://www.joetucker.net/americanrotation/American-Rotation-Rules.pdf

"Racking order;
15 ball is the head ball, the 2 and 3 balls are racked behind the 15. The 1 ball is in the middle of the rack with
the 13 & 14 balls behind the 1 ball with the rest of the balls placed in any order. Rack your own"

Good stuff!

Ken

Thanks for clearing that up. Don't know how I missed that, it's only right there in blue and white, DOH! :embarrassed2:

Okie
09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Don't know how I missed that, it's only right there in blue and white, DOH! :embarrassed2:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I figured I missed something too, and I have read the rules a number of times to answer various questions which have come up. lol

It really is drop dead simple once you get going. I have found myself wanting to play call shot call safe all the time now. Which is unusual really because I have lived and died on two way shots in the past. And playing 9 ball is like nothing after dodging 14 balls trying to run out with a full table!

The thing I want to see is the top pros competing against each other at this game! At our level in OKC there was a lot of safety play, but I bet the top players open it up a lot with ball in hand after the break. It will definitely separate the men from the boys. And if us boys play it enough, we might learn how to play like a men! lol

Seriously... :thumbup:

Ken

Okie
09-13-2013, 09:38 AM

8 in TX
8 in CA
4 in VA
4 in Midwest

Bumping this one up...

Shortstops all over should be frothing at the mouth to get involved!! And we got plenty of those roun' here! :)

Ken

Joe T
09-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Bumping this one up...

Shortstops all over should be frothing at the mouth to get involved!! And we got plenty of those roun' here! :)

Ken
You're absolutely right Ken but I have to say, I believe they just don't get it yet. Many shortstops have come in to a life of their own that is rather free spirited or nomadish, they're not use to any kind of structured or committed format. Not like we're asking them to get married though, just play 7 matches in 7 weeks locally. I'll take some of the blame as we decided to call it the the ABC League, doesn't really sound like something that would appeal or get the attention of a shortstop. If I came out of the box and said
"We're having a national tournament limited to first 512 players, entry is $175, first round is 8 player round robins (7 matches for every player), if you qualify for 2 day national you're guaranteed minimum $1,000" we may already have our 512?

I'm sure they'll come around once we reach our goal of 64 united clubs. In the mean time we'll focus more on the players and proactive room owners that do see the picture and are willing to help build this product for the sport! Reminds me, I have to make a list to thank all of our pioneers from session 1, add that to the to do list.

Okie
09-14-2013, 08:08 AM
You're absolutely right Ken but I have to say, I believe they just don't get it yet. Many shortstops have come in to a life of their own that is rather free spirited or nomadish, they're not use to any kind of structured or committed format. Not like we're asking them to get married though, just play 7 matches in 7 weeks locally. I'll take some of the blame as we decided to call it the the ABC League, doesn't really sound like something that would appeal or get the attention of a shortstop. If I came out of the box and said
"We're having a national tournament limited to first 512 players, entry is $175, first round is 8 player round robins (7 matches for every player), if you qualify for 2 day national you're guaranteed minimum $1,000" we may already have our 512?

I'm sure they'll come around once we reach our goal of 64 united clubs. In the mean time we'll focus more on the players and proactive room owners that do see the picture and are willing to help build this product for the sport! Reminds me, I have to make a list to thank all of our pioneers from session 1, add that to the to do list.

I wholeheartedly believe that once more people see it and experience it you will get flat run over by new clubs!

Your future is so bright you're gonna have to wear shades!! :thumbup:

Ken

Pre-Flag Master
10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear the new league is going well.

Any more videos on You Tube? (other than Alcano/Eberle and Shaw/Burford).

You mentioned Accu-stats. What is their involvement?

thanks
Fatz

Joe T
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear the new league is going well.

Any more videos on You Tube? (other than Alcano/Eberle and Shaw/Burford).

You mentioned Accu-stats. What is their involvement?

thanks
Fatz

Accu stats filmed the Jason Phil match for us.

Don't have any additional video yet but our finals are scheduled for Oct 12th at Diamond Billiards in Midlothian VA. We'll be live streaming and recording. 8 players $12k purse. I'm going to do the draw sometime this week on a live stream and after that we'll have at least 12 matches that we'll know for sure will happen Sat afternoon so maybe we'll do some kind of contest or just plant them in the action room.

Pre-Flag Master
10-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi Joe,

Will any of this end up on You Tube? EDIT: Sorry, I guess that was the answer to my question.

thanks
Fatz

Accu stats filmed the Jason Phil match for us.

Don't have any additional video yet but our finals are scheduled for Oct 12th at Diamond Billiards in Midlothian VA. We'll be live streaming and recording. 8 players $12k purse. I'm going to do the draw sometime this week on a live stream and after that we'll have at least 12 matches that we'll know for sure will happen Sat afternoon so maybe we'll do some kind of contest or just plant them in the action room.