PDA

View Full Version : Why So Serious...Seriously?

Pidge
09-11-2013, 01:45 PM
I've just got back from a match that has been in the making for the last 6 weeks. I'm not going to name names but the guy and myself have "history".
Last time we played I won, just. Game was 9 ball and I strung a 5 pack together to leave him sitting on the hill wondering wtf just happened. He refused to shake my hand and starts shouting at me about how I should stick to playing snooker. All I could do was laugh, which added fuel to the fire.

So that's the history lesson covered, now onto tonights shenanigans. Game is 9 ball race to 19. I bring along 5 buddies and my girlfriend. I rock up in some nice snooker attire. Shiney pointy black shoes, black pants, white shirt, black waistcoat and a black dickie bow tie. I knew it would get to him, hence why I did it. My girlfriend walks in dressed as Michaela Tabb, and my 5 buddies dressed as John Virgo, Judd Trump, John Parrot, Steven Hendry and Alex Higgins. As soon as we walk in the guy spots us and I notice he starts unscrewing his cue meanwhile his buddies are trying not to laugh.

I walked over to shake his hand and ask if anyone wanted a beer and again he refuses the hand shake. He says calmly enough he isn't playing me. Stunned I walk to the bar to get a round of beers in. All I can hear is him screaming...literally at his friends about how he isn't going to play whilst were dressed like clowns. I go back into where all the tables are, and he's gone. He should have come dressed as Harry Houdini because I'm sure the only exit in this place was right next to where I was standing. One of his buddies comes over and says he's sorry but the match won't be going ahead. I couldn't believe it.

Why take life and this game so serious...seriously?

For a guy that considers himself to be at a pro level, and is "soon" to be going pro because OB have decided to sponsor him, I thought me dressed in a vest and dickie bow would be good practice for him. Oops.

pt109
09-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I LOVE THIS STORY...SERIOUSLY.

:rotflmao1:

Tramp Steamer
09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
So, other than that, how's things in jolly old England? :smile:

Pidge
09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Terrible...these shiney pointy shoes are killing me! :(

poolguppy
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
haha! hats off man, awesome story, i like your style

ExclusiveTSX
09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Funny story. Way to keep things light. I would have thought the approach you took may have broken the tension, guess we can't assume everyone has a sense of humor.

CB Jones
09-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Really need pictures of the outfits to make this story complete.

bsmutz
09-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Terrible...these shiney pointy shoes are killing me! :(

If you take the "e" out, you'll have more room...

Pidge
09-11-2013, 02:54 PM
If you take the "e" out, you'll have more room...
Good point. Dosn't hlp whn you hav hobbit ft...

Ron Swanson
09-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Good point. Dosn't hlp whn you hav hobbit ft...

You're obsessed with feet. You're not Chinese by any chance? :wink:

Who was it you were playing?

ceebee
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Me too... love to see it acted out at my home room in Tulsa, OK

Mikey Town
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Best story I've read in a while... If I ever find myself as part of a grudge match, I would sport that attire from head to toe!

wahcheck
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
If you and your friends were all in the garb you described, you definitely had an edge concerning the psychology game..... I too, like your style and sense of humour.......I'm not so sure I woulda played you either, even if I thought I was a better shooter.....Rock on!

Blue Hog ridr
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
And here I have always thought that the English had a great sense of Humor. warped a bit at times but great just the same. They have always been able to buck up and even have a joke in the face of adversity.

Maybe thats where I get my warpage from sometimes.

Anyway, not such as great start in the Pro World with a sponsor such as OB. he may have to learn to roll and grow a bit thicker skin.

Myself, I would have had a laugh and complimented you and the gang on the attire, had more than a few beer with you and played.

But then, I never turn down cold beer and a few games. Do they have wings there or Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash perhaps?

Ya know, I have never been to Jolly Old England and thru a relative, have been in contact with a person in England. It appears that all the long lost ones aren't that long and lost after all.

It will definitely be on the Bucket List. But, I have to know one thing, Not all of you drink warm beer do you.

I mean, you do have fridges and such right. Some beer is cold, yes?

Pidge
09-11-2013, 03:29 PM
You're obsessed with feet. You're not Chinese by any chance? :wink:

Who was it you were playing?
Haha! No I'm not. As a general rule of mine I wear shoes in public places.

Like I said I'm not here to name names. I doubt he is a member here, and I doubt he even ghost reads here but people will know him on here I'm sure of it.

Pidge
09-11-2013, 03:32 PM
And here I have always thought that the English had a great sense of Humor. warped a bit at times but great just the same. They have always been able to buck up and even have a joke in the face of adversity.

Maybe thats where I get my warpage from sometimes.

Anyway, not such as great start in the Pro World with a sponsor such as OB. he may have to learn to roll and grow a bit thicker skin.

Myself, I would have had a laugh and complimented you and the gang on the attire, had more than a few beer with you and played.

But then, I never turn down cold beer and a few games. Do they have wings there or Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash perhaps?

Ya know, I have never been to Jolly Old England and thru a relative, have been in contact with a person in England. It appears that all the long lost ones aren't that long and lost after all.

It will definitely be on the Bucket List. But, I have to know one thing, Not all of you drink warm beer do you.

What's a fridge?

What's this "cold beer" you speak of?

You Americans sure are strange ;)

On a side note...if the pool hall served fish and chips with plenty of salt and vinegar I'd never leave!

Blue Hog ridr
09-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm Canadian, but still strange.

I had Fish and Chips last night. Fresh caught Wall Eye and Pike. Beer batter. Thin slices of potato pan fried with onions.

Maybe not as good as a big ole piece of battered Cod but pretty tasty just the same.

Bob Jewett
09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
... One of his buddies comes over and says he's sorry but the match won't be going ahead. I couldn't believe it. ...
Over here in the colonies we have learned to make sure the money is posted before a big match. ;)

But seriously, I'm guessing that the outfit would have hampered your play. You might have had to cut the toes of the shoes off halfway through. Michaela could have painted your toenails festive colors during the intervals.

We need video.

mel_smOg
09-12-2013, 07:33 AM
amazing story, loved it!!!!!!!

Ratta
09-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Lmao....still have tears im my eyes........so great.
:D:thumbup:

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

ENGLISH!
09-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Pidge,

I hate to be a kill joy, but I think you may have gone a bit over board & perhaps may have hurt your own rep when the word spreads.

Perhaps he saw it as a no win situation for him. If he lost, he lost to you clowning around & if he won, you were not serious but were just clowning around. Who wants to play a clown?

I might have done the same thing as him.

Some people think the game itself deserves more respect. He may have looked at it as you disrespecting the game.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Best Wishes,
Rick

PS Pics would be interesting. I would guess that you all took some pics.

mosconiac
09-12-2013, 09:00 AM
DATE: 9/12/13
ACTION: Thread Subscription
PRIORITY: Critical
REASON: Pics of "Michaela Tabb"

DallasHopps
09-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Pidge,

I hate to be a kill joy, but I think you may have gone a bit over board & perhaps may have hurt your own rep when the word spreads.

Perhaps he saw it as a no win situation for him. If he lost, he lost to you clowning around & if he won, you were not serious but were just clowning around. Who wants to play a clown?

Some people think the game itself deserves more respect. He may have looked at it as you disrespecting the game.

Best Wishes,
Rick

I get where you're coming from, but I disagree. If he was wearing the Cleary orange track suit, or an actual clown outfit, I might see it as him being disrespectful. From what it sounds like, he dressed up in (perhaps exaggerated) snooker tournament style clothing. While it was clearly done to irk the opponent (who has, IMO, a weak mental disposition if that's all it takes to kill the game), I don't see anything inherently wrong with over-dressing.

I personally would've muttered something profane, in disbelief, at the sight of an opponent and friends dressed as described... but I would play the game and drink the beer in the spirit of fun.

From other indicators given about history, etc., it seems like the opponent has an aversion to playing the OP and generally dislikes him. It sounds like the "costumes" made a convenient excuse.

Spimp13
09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
DATE: 9/12/13
ACTION: Thread Subscription
PRIORITY: Critical
REASON: Pics of "Michaela Tabb"

She does look very serious in most of the pictures I found.

Pidge
09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Pidge,

Best Wishes,
Rick

Fair point I guess.

Everyone here knows what I'm like. I don't take my self, or anything too seriously. Lifes much better when you have that outlook on life.

My outfit was the real deal, from when I played in snooker tournaments back in the day so it wasn't distracting. For all he knew I'd just come from a wedding ;)

John virgos outlandish technicolour waistcoat was a bit much... And all the wigs and fake facial hair...appart from that we looked the part!

If he can't handle me...I'm always polite even if I dislike someone...over dressing how is he going to play against an Earl type player? Punch them? I really think he should have just ignored me and gone ahead with the match. We were playing even and I wouldve had to play out of my skin to beat him again, which I doubt I would have.

Unfortunately no pictures. We left my house late all a little light headed from 'Michaela' over doing it on the hairspray that we forgot the camera, and my cues for that matter. Had to turn back 15mins into the journey to get the cues. Turns out I didn't need them anyway :)

RunoutJJ
09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
So that's the history lesson covered, now onto tonights shenanigans. Game is 9 ball race to 19. I bring along 5 buddies and my girlfriend. I rock up in some nice snooker attire. Shiney pointy black shoes, black pants, white shirt, black waistcoat and a black dickie bow tie. I knew it would get to him, hence why I did it. My girlfriend walks in dressed as Michaela Tabb, and my 5 buddies dressed as John Virgo, Judd Trump, John Parrot, Steven Hendry and Alex Higgins. As soon as we walk in the guy spots us and I notice he starts unscrewing his cue meanwhile his buddies are trying not to laugh.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this bit!! :lmao:

You mate..... Are one hell of a cheeky bastard :lol::lol::lol:

dawgcpa
09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Phil Burford?

Pidge
09-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Phil Burford?
No, it wasn't Phil Burford. I'd class him as a pro...not a soon to be pro ;)

Pidge
09-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I've just got off the phone with a negotiator. He's somehow managed to rearrange the match for the middle of next month without me knowing or agreeing to any of the terms. Luckily its the same as what it should have been this time around. We play even in a race to 19, 9 ball.

I'm now looking for attire suggestions from you guys! If i get enough ill choose my favourite, take plenty of pictures on the day and if I can, get "Uniform Courtesy Of [insert name here]!" or something along those lines printed on the back. Remember, attire needs to be for 6 guys and my girlfriend!

I'm gunna lose, but ill lose with a smile on my face :)

logical
09-13-2013, 10:08 AM
My girlfriend walks in dressed as Michaela Tabb, and my 5 buddies dressed as John Virgo, Judd Trump, John Parrot, Steven Hendry and Alex Higgins. .

I'm not that up on things British.....are those the guys from Monty Python?

pt109
09-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Pidge, this is how it has to go down.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CJIBEBYwCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talklikeapirate.com%2F&ei=B0kzUvugH6Oh2gXu84GIAQ&usg=AFQjCNEJpFbzAYmT8pRjabhIebECiZlJvw&sig2=PAeow2KpJkHYHvYVxpM_Ig&bvm=bv.52164340,d.b2I

And prepare to win....AZ is cheering for you.

Pidge
09-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm not that up on things British.....are those the guys from Monty Python?
They're snooker players from past and present. Michaela Tabb is a female referee. She does snooker, Chinese pool and American pool.

Monty Python might be a good shout though...

Pidge
09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Pidge, this is how it has to go down.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CJIBEBYwCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talklikeapirate.com%2F&ei=B0kzUvugH6Oh2gXu84GIAQ&usg=AFQjCNEJpFbzAYmT8pRjabhIebECiZlJvw&sig2=PAeow2KpJkHYHvYVxpM_Ig&bvm=bv.52164340,d.b2I

And prepare to win....AZ is cheering for you.
Arghhh! You deserve some green for that.

Banks
09-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I've just got off the phone with a negotiator. He's somehow managed to rearrange the match for the middle of next month without me knowing or agreeing to any of the terms. Luckily its the same as what it should have been this time around. We play even in a race to 19, 9 ball.

I'm now looking for attire suggestions from you guys! If i get enough ill choose my favourite, take plenty of pictures on the day and if I can, get "Uniform Courtesy Of [insert name here]!" or something along those lines printed on the back. Remember, attire needs to be for 6 guys and my girlfriend!

I'm gunna lose, but ill lose with a smile on my face :)

Since he doesn't like the whole dressed up act, just have everybody wear the same thing. He shouldn't complain then, right? Be even better if you could get them to wear whatever he's wearing that day. How could he object to his own clothes?

Pidge
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Since he doesn't like the whole dressed up act, just have everybody wear the same thing. He shouldn't complain then, right? Be even better if you could get them to wear whatever he's wearing that day. How could he object to his own clothes?
Lol if I had a means of finding out what he's wearing on the day I'd do it. How weird would it be having 7 people wearing the exact same clothes as you!

Unfortunately he lives at the other side of the country so I can't just drive 6 hours there and 6 back to find what he's wearing :(

I though about getting a picture of him printed onto 7 T-shirts...

Scott Lee
09-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Fresh caught Walleye vs. cod? That's like comparing apples and onions. Walleye RULES...beats the heck out of any cod on Earth! LOL :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I had Fish and Chips last night. Fresh caught Wall Eye and Pike. Beer batter. Thin slices of potato pan fried with onions.

Maybe not as good as a big ole piece of battered Cod but pretty tasty just the same.

woodyosborne
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM

some beer is cold but not for the folks with LUCAS refrigerators.

Scott Lee
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
That, and Phil is a class act...not one to act like this douchebag. He's also been sponsored by OB for at least the last 2-3 months.

Pidge...IMO you dressing up was cool, and anyone who wouldn't play you, just because of the way you're dressed (especially since you had played before), is a total nit!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

No, it wasn't Phil Burford. I'd class him as a pro...not a soon to be pro ;)

JCIN
09-13-2013, 01:06 PM
I've just got back from a match that has been in the making for the last 6 weeks. I'm not going to name names but the guy and myself have "history".
Last time we played I won, just. Game was 9 ball and I strung a 5 pack together to leave him sitting on the hill wondering wtf just happened. He refused to shake my hand and starts shouting at me about how I should stick to playing snooker. All I could do was laugh, which added fuel to the fire.

I walked over to shake his hand and ask if anyone wanted a beer and again he refuses the hand shake. He says calmly enough he isn't playing me. Stunned I walk to the bar to get a round of beers in. All I can hear is him screaming...literally at his friends about how he isn't going to play whilst were dressed like clowns. I go back into where all the tables are, and he's gone. He should have come dressed as Harry Houdini because I'm sure the only exit in this place was right next to where I was standing. One of his buddies comes over and says he's sorry but the match won't be going ahead. I couldn't believe it.

For a guy that considers himself to be at a pro level, and is "soon" to be going pro because OB have decided to sponsor him, I thought me dressed in a vest and dickie bow would be good practice for him. Oops.

I dont blame the guy for deciding not to play.

If I wanted a pool game and got a prom party with the obvious intention of mentally fvcking with me I could very easily see breaking down and not spending my time with that crew.

Its obvious you went to a lot of trouble just to tilt the guy. Looks like it worked a little better than you planned on.

JoeyA
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM

WOW! I might have just paid you for showing up and taking pics with me. Do you have pics of you and your mates that you can share. I would love to see the photos. That was a real cool thing to do and maybe it was a pretty clever way to get into his head. Too bad, he blew up.

JoeyA

Pidge
09-14-2013, 06:07 AM
WOW! I might have just paid you for showing up and taking pics with me. Do you have pics of you and your mates that you can share. I would love to see the photos. That was a real cool thing to do and maybe it was a pretty clever way to get into his head. Too bad, he blew up.

JoeyA
In all the comotion getting ready we forgot a camera, and my cues. Honestly didn't expect him to refuse the match. Kinda expected him to be in a huff and complain but I guess it saved me some money on an almost certain loss.

In the rematch ill be sure to get before, during and after pictures!

rjb1168
09-14-2013, 06:35 AM
I would of played you no matter how you were dressed :). I say dress the same again. :grin:

JoeW
09-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Take a look at "The Hustler". Jackie Gleason's outfit is pretty cool, suit, tie and hanky in the breast pocket and especially a fedora and a carnation in the lapel. The photo is the second picture down the page, so you have to scroll down a little.

http://www.chud.com/60507/chud-list-well-met-%e2%80%93-day-4-the-hustler/

Your buddies could be in related attire, especially the wife beater tee shirt Newman's wears in some of the scenes. Like your buddy is waiting in the wings. Might even pick up a little of the dialog to use with your opponent, Now Piper Laurie's part --- hmmmmm

Definitely need video of this match, I bet it would go viral if you did it right. Real money, real match and the Hustler characters show up to play -- It would be a gas (see the Rat Pack for added flavor).

Tooler
09-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Since we're on a movie kick:

Have all the guys wear the "Vincent" t-shirts, and have your girl wear one that say's "Vincent's Girl".

Tramp Steamer
09-14-2013, 05:30 PM
So, other than that, how are things in jolly old England? :)