PDA

View Full Version : a cool new format

lorider
09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
our apa lo has introduced a new format in our area called jr masters.

it is based on the regular masters format with a few differences.

1. limited to handicaps 5 and below.

2. non handicapped play race to 5

3 6 9 ball and 3 8 ball matches.

4. rules same as masters.

5. limited to 3 or 4 man teams.

he has just introduced this format and is trying to drum up players interested.

i have already talked to a few players and they are interested in forming a team with me.

if we get up enough teams we will have a qualifier for vegas just like the other formats.

man i cant wait to get this started.

what do you guys think an bout this format ?

Jude Rosenstock
09-11-2013, 02:06 PM

i have already talked to a few players and they are interested in forming a team with me.

if we get up enough teams we will have a qualifier for vegas just like the other formats.

I really don't care for leagues that tell good players to stay home. You might be happy but there are guys that have spent a great deal of time improving their game so they can compete and then the competitions exclude them.

lorider
09-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I really don't care for leagues that tell good players to stay home. You might be happy but there are guys that have spent a great deal of time improving their game so they can compete and then the competitions exclude them.

i understand your point but look at it this way.

apa has the masters division that is for people that play at a high level without all the handicapping b.s.

to me jr masters is designed for lower level players who desire to play straight up like the big boys do.. so to speak.

call your shot , race to 5. straight up , let the best player win.

CB Jones
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
The format sounds interesting. What can it hurt to give it a try? The only question I would have is how many other areas have this same format available? If you are going to have a Vegas qualifier you need teams in Vegas to compete against.

The higher skill level players are not being excluded, they simply belong in the master division not the junior masters division. This just gives the lower skill levels a chance to compete in a masters format without running into a monster every time they play.

lorider
09-11-2013, 03:11 PM
The format sounds interesting. What can it hurt to give it a try? The only question I would have is how many other areas have this same format available? If you are going to have a Vegas qualifier you need teams in Vegas to compete against.

The higher skill level players are not being excluded, they simply belong in the master division not the junior masters division. This just gives the lower skill levels a chance to compete in a masters format without running into a monster every time they play.

i think the concept is great for the 4;s and 5;s, not so much for any lower.

the 4's and 5's seem to make up the majprity of players in our area so there is no shortage of players. trouble is getting them to embrace heads up instead of handicapped matches.

i played masters 2 years aga and i was only a 4. i am not afraid of playing higher level players and actually i looked at it as a cheap form of gaining experience against better players.

i got a rude awakening in my 1st match when i lost 9-0. i won a rack here and there after a while in it but never won a match. i had one 7 tell me i was getting pretty good and would hate to face me in a handicapped match.kinda boosted my ego a little after he beat me 9-4 lol.

Txstang1
09-11-2013, 03:40 PM

then you're not eligible for any singles tournaments, masters teams only and mini's in Vegas. That's it. So i agree with Jude.

Txstang1
09-11-2013, 03:40 PM

then you're not eligible for any singles tournaments, masters teams only and mini's in Vegas. That's it. So i agree with Jude. They don't want us.

lorider
09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
then you're not eligible for any singles tournaments, masters teams only and mini's in Vegas. That's it. So i agree with Jude. They don't want us.

i hope you are mistaken but i will check into it.

i just dont see that happening because even regular masters are allowed to play on handicapped teams.

i have a friend who plays in masters, captains a handicapped team and went to singles regionals this year.

Banks
09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
i hope you are mistaken but i will check into it.

i just dont see that happening because even regular masters are allowed to play on handicapped teams.

i have a friend who plays in masters, captains a handicapped team and went to singles regionals this year.

You have to participate in a division that gives you a handicap. Masters doesn't do that as it only counts wins.

CB Jones
09-11-2013, 04:38 PM

I agree, I don't believe that is fair. You should simply have to play as a SL7 in 8ball or SL9 in 9ball if you are only playing masters. I don't know what the reasoning is behind that decision.

Banks
09-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree, I don't believe that is fair. You should simply have to play as a SL7 in 8ball or SL9 in 9ball if you are only playing masters. I don't know what the reasoning is behind that decision.

During singles tournaments, they seed the players. Besides, it's an easy way to get a few more bucks.

CreeDo
09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Do they track scoring in this league and then raise/lower your rank based on how you perform?

I can see possible problems from that.
You play well and get raised to a 6 and suddenly you're out of that league.
Or you play there and get wrecked, cuz everyone there is strong for their rank,
then you end up dropping a rank and have an easier time in regular APA league.

Anyway I do like the idea of a place where 5's and below can "play serious".
I'm not sure how serious someone is though, if they're not content with regular APA league where they
must occasionally face a 7,8,9 and play well to win.

Matt
09-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Interesting that they made it for 5 and below in Memphis when it is 6 and under in Raleigh. "Jr. Masters" has been around Raleigh for quite a while now. It came about because the Masters participation was declining as people realized that there were only a handful of teams that were really in contention during the city tournament. Unless your team is stacked with all APA 7/9's, your chances of going to nationals are were very small. Now, with a separate city tournament for lower-ranked players, they have revived the format. Good for business, but not really good for pool, in my opinion.

Here are a few things I don't like about "Jr. Masters":
- There is currently no Junior Masters Nationals bracket, so these teams go compete with Masters teams in vegas and don't stand much of a chance.
- The rank cutoff forces Jr. Masters players to play in a handicapped division as well to maintain their rank. This gives even more incentive to sandbag.
- The "best" Jr. Masters teams are going to be the teams with the best of whatever the cutoff rank is. What about the 7's that can't compete with the 9's in Masters, or the 4's that are outmatched in Jr. Masters?
- They mixed in the Jr. Masters teams with Masters teams to fill out the divisions. Before Jr. Masters, even the weak Masters teams used to have 1 or 2 SL7+ players on them, so you still had to play. Now, when my Masters team plays a Jr. Masters team, they don't usually make it into double digits (out of a possible 21). I would say it's good experience for the Jr. Masters players and be okay with it, but a lot of them aren't that interested in improving because they risk moving up and being forced to play Masters.

With all that said, I do encourage lower ranked players around here to play Jr. Masters if they have an interest in improving their game. They get to play strong players throughout the session and then play amongst themselves during the city tournament to go play Nationals, so it's a great deal for them.