PDA

View Full Version : Dream Big in Boones Mill, Virginia

JAM
09-12-2013, 03:17 AM
According to the 2000 Census, Boones Mill, Virginia, had a population of 285, but that didn't stop Tim and Barbara Chitwood from realizing their dream of owning a pool room.

They scrimped and saved, borrowed on their 1998 Chevrolet pickup truck, and opened Tim and Barb's Billiards in July 2013.

For several years, in anticipation of realizing Timmy Chitwood’s dream, the couple frequented yard sales and flea markets and acquired pool tables and other fixtures.

“And every penny that we didn’t need to pay bills over the last six or seven years we saved for the business,” Barbara Chitwood said.

The couple has invested about $25,000 to date in the business, Timmy Chitwood said, a figure that includes his labor completing the renovations.

The couple said business has been slow during the week but Saturday nights have drawn pool players from the Roanoke Valley and Rocky Mount. Timmy Chitwood said he expects customer numbers will increase once people learn about Tim & Barb’s Billiards and the business starts to host weekend tournaments.

The couple said they likely will seek a license in early 2014 to sell beer, but Timmy Chitwood emphasized the business will be drug- and smoke-free.

Barbara Chitwood staffs the kitchen. The menu includes hotdogs, grilled cheese and other sandwiches, pinto beans, burgers and more.

In these tough economic times, I wish the Chitwoods all the very best. I'd love to have a pool room like this in my area.

Source: Couple's Boones Mill Billiard Hall is a Shot at a Lifelong Dream (http://www.roanoke.com/news/2145365-12/couples-boones-mill-billiard-hall-is-a-shot.html) [Retrieved 12 September 2013]

JAM
09-12-2013, 03:18 AM
The building is owned by Tim Chitwood's cousin, whom they lease from.

I like the smoking lounge out front, if I smoked. Look at those comfy sofas. :grin-square:

Chip Roberson
09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks for posting that Jam--I'll be driving by there today on my way to Roanoke to meet with a few clients--think I'll stop and check it out

JAM
09-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for posting that Jam--I'll be driving by there today on my way to Roanoke to meet with a few clients--think I'll stop and check it out

That's great! :)

Here's the address and telephone number in case you get lost. :wink:

Tim And Barbs Billiards
25156 Virgil H Goode Hwy
Boones Mill, VA 24065-4346

Telephone: (540) 334-1350

macguy
09-12-2013, 05:54 AM
According to the 2000 Census, Boones Mill, Virginia, had a population of 285, but that didn't stop Tim and Barbara Chitwood from realizing their dream of owning a pool room.

They scrimped and saved, borrowed on their 1998 Chevrolet pickup truck, and opened Tim and Barb's Billiards in July 2013.

For several years, in anticipation of realizing Timmy Chitwood’s dream, the couple frequented yard sales and flea markets and acquired pool tables and other fixtures.

“And every penny that we didn’t need to pay bills over the last six or seven years we saved for the business,” Barbara Chitwood said.

The couple has invested about $25,000 to date in the business, Timmy Chitwood said, a figure that includes his labor completing the renovations.

The couple said business has been slow during the week but Saturday nights have drawn pool players from the Roanoke Valley and Rocky Mount. Timmy Chitwood said he expects customer numbers will increase once people learn about Tim & Barb’s Billiards and the business starts to host weekend tournaments.

The couple said they likely will seek a license in early 2014 to sell beer, but Timmy Chitwood emphasized the business will be drug- and smoke-free.

Barbara Chitwood staffs the kitchen. The menu includes hotdogs, grilled cheese and other sandwiches, pinto beans, burgers and more.

In these tough economic times, I wish the Chitwoods all the very best. I'd love to have a pool room like this in my area.

Source: Couple's Boones Mill Billiard Hall is a Shot at a Lifelong Dream (http://www.roanoke.com/news/2145365-12/couples-boones-mill-billiard-hall-is-a-shot.html) [Retrieved 12 September 2013]
There is nothing like a small town pool room. You can set the clock by your customers and they are loyal if you run a nice place. When I used to run around I have been in a zillion of them. I wish I took pictures, some of these places were classics. I remember one place in NC. I spent the whole day there. I got talking with the old black guy who worked there and he told me it was the only job he ever had. Except for when he was in the Army during WWII. This place had been open for over 60 years.

Nullus
09-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Fantastic! Kudos to the new owners.

Spimp13
09-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Cool pics and story, thanks for sharing. It is definitely wise for them to get a liquor license. Best of luck to them, and hopefully business continues to grow.

nb92
09-13-2013, 04:59 AM
If anyone decides to visit I HIGHLY recommend going the speed limit on the way in and out. Tax base is limited, if you know what I mean, and they do look for revenue enhancement opportunities.

JAM
09-13-2013, 05:16 AM
In a pool world fraught with uncertainty, it is refreshing to read about this new pool room in the town of Boones Mill. I love this story. :smiling-heart:

Dunnn51
09-13-2013, 05:26 AM
This issa good story ! Tnx Jam.

The owners have heart and must love the game to do what they did.
Better get them couches covered or its not gonna be nice when it rains ! :frown:

Good equipment
Good food
A pleasant playing atmosphere
AND Fair prices & hours.

They will come,...... last ingredient is time. :smile:

LuckyStroke
09-13-2013, 07:28 AM
To the top! Tim and Barb are great people and have a great room.

Dead Money
09-13-2013, 10:10 PM
What a nice story. I hope they do well there :)

RobertaAgnor
09-14-2013, 09:36 AM
What dedication they have, I wish them the best of luck and will stop in when I'm up that way.