PDA

View Full Version : Thorsten Hohmann

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Defeats the reigning world champion Darren Appleton, 11-5!!!!!!!

jpparmentier
09-12-2013, 06:16 AM
...And he faces Orcollo now

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/174-world-9-ball-championship/5139-wpa-world-9-ball-championship-2013/brackets/52-final-64/

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
...And he faces Orcollo now

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/174-world-9-ball-championship/5139-wpa-world-9-ball-championship-2013/brackets/52-final-64/

It's thorsten's friend Randy.

Hope you are well. Following this has made me sick. Feel like puking!!!

StraightPoolIU
09-12-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm rooting for him going forward. I'm a big fan. Definitely one of my two favorite players (the other being Shane).

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 08:00 AM
11-8 to advance to the final 8.

WAY TO GO THORSTEN!!!! (Clap clap)

iusedtoberich
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Are you guys watching live at all, or just following the brackets?

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 08:37 AM

And texting with him in between matches. He told me this morning he was going to beat Darren and Dennis. Said, "I told you", lol.

gopi-1
09-12-2013, 09:07 AM

From their official Facebook page:

"We can confirm that the Al Kass TV Truck and Cameras have arrived here at the Al Arabi Sports Club in Doha and YES there will be a broadcast for tomorrow's semi finals and finals. Both semis will begin at 1;30 PM Doha time, GMT+3. So Al Kass will show one semi and then the finals at 5:00.

We will provide the live stream link as soon as we receive it.

Thank you for your patience."

Nostroke
09-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Thorsten would LOVE another 9B WPC. Not sure if it would get him into the HOF but he'd be knocking anyway.

StraightPoolIU
09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Thorsten would LOVE another 9B WPC. Not sure if it would get him into the HOF but he'd be knocking anyway.

I think you could make a fairly good case for him right now. If he wins another one I think that put him in for sure.

arps
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
currently leading 7-1 against Jef de Luna. Hohmann is really STRONG!

CreeDo
09-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Tough draw for Toaster Oven, and if he wins this one... he gets to face Biado next.
Pretty amazing if he wins going through a field like that. Definitely deserves it.

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Defeating De Luna 11-7. Can he pull off the trifecta and defeat his 3rd pinoy in a row? We will see tmrw when he takes on Carlos Biado.

weakfingers
09-12-2013, 12:05 PM
As much as I love the other players, seems like Hohmann has been killing it this year... two huge straight pool wins, one of them being the world 14.1 for the third time in his career, this could be another 9b world championship for him as well. If he gets it he deserves it for sure.

bdorman
09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Hohmann is a machine. Great fundamentals.

StraightPoolIU
09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
As much as I love the other players, seems like Hohmann has been killing it this year... two huge straight pool wins, one of them being the world 14.1 for the third time in his career, this could be another 9b world championship for him as well. If he gets it he deserves it for sure.

He has been playing well all year getting down the to end in some big tournaments. I believe he made the finals at the SBE and one of the finals of the Bar Table Championship. Also, he had a good Derby I believe too making it fairly far in both the banks and 1 pocket. Of course he had the straight pool wins as well.

Nostroke
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I think you could make a fairly good case for him right now. If he wins another one I think that put him in for sure.

You know what- i was totally snoozing his 14.1 wins- Yes he is in now!!

RonnieOSullivan
09-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I think Hohmann might be the best in the world right now.

Anybody know what time the stream will be Friday morning in US Central time? Don't want to screw up the conversion...

StraightPoolIU
09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Anybody know what time the stream will be Friday morning in US Central time? Don't want to screw up the conversion...

I don't know what time it starts, but for Central time it'll be Qatar time minus 8 hours.

AtLarge
09-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Post #8 says a semi-final match will be streamed Friday at 1:30 PM Doha time. That would be 6:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time and 5:30 AM Central Daylight Time.

scottjen26
09-12-2013, 01:18 PM
He is a beast. I run into him occasionally here in Jax and was fortunately enough to play with him for a few hours before he left on his latest traveling stint. He is definitely killing it out there, great player and person.

I'll be checking back here for updates on the tourney, thanks!
Scott

monsterdog
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Hohmann is an awesome player... calm and collected

Johnnyt
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Hohmann is a machine. Great fundamentals.

I would say that he is in dead stroke and would be the favorite in an all around minus banks against anyone. Johnnyt

sjm
09-12-2013, 02:17 PM
I would say that he is in dead stroke and would be the favorite in an all around minus banks against anyone. Johnnyt

An all around with Carlo Biado would be very interesting.

Biado a slight favorite in 10-ball
Biado a clear favorite in one pocket`
In 8-ball, it is about even
Hohmann a huge favorite in 14.1
... and in 9-ball, we'll find out tomorrow.

Doubt Thorsten would want any part of an all-around with Alex, Shane, Francisco, Dennis or Darren.

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Doubt Thorsten would want any part of an all-around with Alex, Shane, Francisco, Dennis or Darren.

You should know, Stu, that Thorsten is really afraid of no man on a pool table. What he doesn't want any part of is gambling. He has never wagered not even a dollar in his life.

Lonestar_jim
09-12-2013, 02:42 PM

But this week he has bested D.A. and D.O. in 9-ball. That's probably not in the formula:eek:

Tomorrow is the tester. Again...

StraightPoolIU
09-12-2013, 02:54 PM
You should know, Stu, that Thorsten is really afraid of no man on a pool table. What he doesn't want any part of is gambling. He has never wagered not even a dollar in his life.

One of the reasons I've always been a fan. He treats it as a real sport. Also one of the reasons I'd like to see him in a TAR match soon since they are no longer gambling matches.

Island Drive
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
11-8 to advance to the final 8.

WAY TO GO THORSTEN!!!! (Clap clap)

I'm of the opinion that his recent 14.1 win gave him the mindset to see much more clearly, the rotation patterns. He's a class act, doesn't gamble and is the real deal like Souquet and a few others who play for a career and have a Life not based on Gambling.

BeiberLvr
09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Oh, so you don't have to gamble to become a champion, you say?

:thumbup:

Thorsten makes up my top 5 favorite players to watch. Alongside SVB, Mika, Alex, and Efren.

sjm
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Who said anything about gambling? It would just be a fan pleaser. Yes, for funsies.

Sloppy Pockets
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
One of the reasons I've always been a fan. He treats it as a real sport. Also one of the reasons I'd like to see him in a TAR match soon since they are no longer gambling matches.

Last winter at Turning Stone I sat for hours watching him practice in between sets. It looked like he had a cold, but that didn't stop him from putting his entire being into it. He was actually sweating and had a healthy red glow over his skin, he was that intense. I wish him all the luck, he's right up there with my very favorite players. He seems like a real nice guy, too.

I have a lot of resect for a guy who can resist the allure of easy money from gambling. I know I'm part of a small minority here, but I've never been much of a gambler outside the ponies and a little poker now and then. Even with the horses, I learned early on that the only one raking in any money is the parimutuel window. It's an addiction and a disease. I have enough of those already.

I had a friend who used to work the windows here at Saratoga. He would punch up tickets just as the next race was going off. He usually lost, which made his drawer come up short. They didn't get on your case until you were a thousand or so short. Then they'd be all over you, taking it out of your wages in lieu of calling the cops. My friend said that almost everybody that worked the windows did the same thing and got into the same pickle. Kinda like owing the company store for goods advanced to migrant workers during the Dust Bowl. Twisted if you ask me.

Celtic
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM

I like Hohmann in 8-ball, he is a proven beast in that game, he won a IPT event in the game for one of the biggest paydays with one of the strongest fields this game has ever seen. He has underperformed in some of the world 8-ball championships given his top speed in that game but his top speed in that game is as good as anyone alive.

Biado got 2nd in the US open 8-ball, but in a long set against Hohmann heads up I know where my money is going.

sjm
09-12-2013, 06:07 PM
I like Hohmann in 8-ball, he is a proven beast in that game, he won a IPT event in the game for one of the biggest paydays with one of the strongest fields this game has ever seen. He has underperformed in some of the world 8-ball championships given his top speed in that game but his top speed in that game is as good as anyone alive.

Biado got 2nd in the US open 8-ball, but in a long set against Hohmann heads up I know where my money is going.

Yeah, I see them both as amazing in 8-ball. Biado broke and ran nine of his first ten racks in the US Open 8-ball final. He forced Shane to play perfect, and Shane was up to the challenge. I really believe that Biado has arrived as one of the game's true superstars.

Surely, the semifinal they'll stream tomorrow will be Biado vs Hohmann.

ctran
09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Thorsten is gonna be in Vietnam in 2 weeks time for Kamui promotion in a tourney sponsored by Kamui, I am arranging my time to travel from Hanoi to HCMC for it. hope I will not miss this.

tommyceilings
09-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Minus banks lol. How about an all around minus Straight pool.

There are no shortage of players who would gamble with him, but alas, he doesn't want to do anything.

As far as best around that another poster mentioned, I don't even think he's the best tournament player, Appleton has been doing really well, and several of the Chinese are starting to play more events.

NYC cue dude
09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Minus banks lol. How about an all around minus Straight pool.

There are no shortage of players who would gamble with him, but alas, he doesn't want to do anything.

As far as best around that another poster mentioned, I don't even think he's the best tournament player, Appleton has been doing really well, and several of the Chinese are starting to play more events.

The last two major world events, Thorsten gave Appleton his walking papers.

"but alas, he doesn't want to do anything"? Why, because you think he's afraid? He doesn't gamble because he believes it is a sign of degeneracy.

icucybe
09-13-2013, 04:49 AM
It would be awesome to see him in an all around in TAR or POV match!

voiceofreason
09-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Back to back world finals and that was some field he has come through (so far).

Best of luck to both players!

Nostroke
09-13-2013, 05:41 AM
His last 9B WPC winner (Cardiff) as a virtual unknown, he faced Alex in the final as a heavy underdog. Im pretty sure he led all the way. Depending on the bookie TH was 250-1 all the way to 1000-1 entering the tourny. I knew a guy who had him.

StraightPoolIU
09-13-2013, 05:44 AM
That was a very impressive performance vs Biado.

arps
09-13-2013, 05:48 AM
That was a very impressive performance vs Biado.

aisde from unlucky situations, i dont think Carlo Biado played his best today. On the other hand, Thorsten was very strong. I look forward to a good finals match later against Gabica.

jalapus logan
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Last winter at Turning Stone I sat for hours watching him practice in between sets. It looked like he had a cold, but that didn't stop him from putting his entire being into it. He was actually sweating and had a healthy red glow over his skin, he was that intense. I wish him all the luck, he's right up there with my very favorite players. He seems like a real nice guy, too.

I have a lot of resect for a guy who can resist the allure of easy money from gambling. I know I'm part of a small minority here, but I've never been much of a gambler outside the ponies and a little poker now and then. Even with the horses, I learned early on that the only one raking in any money is the parimutuel window. It's an addiction and a disease. I have enough of those already.

I had a friend who used to work the windows here at Saratoga. He would punch up tickets just as the next race was going off. He usually lost, which made his drawer come up short. They didn't get on your case until you were a thousand or so short. Then they'd be all over you, taking it out of your wages in lieu of calling the cops. My friend said that almost everybody that worked the windows did the same thing and got into the same pickle. Kinda like owing the company store for goods advanced to migrant workers during the Dust Bowl. Twisted if you ask me.

What you say about the track and its employees are spot on. I was an assistant pari-mutuel manager at a harness race track and I can assure you that what you described goes on not just daily, but every single race. We once had a line manager bet so far into her box that it cost her and her husband their home and she lost her job over it.

Interesting tid bit - as of 2003 the average track take across all betting pools was approximately 20%, with gimmicks going as high as 40% (superfecta pool @ Pocono Downs - Yikes!). Talk about tough action! I had access to the tote system reports, so I got curious one evening and dowloaded well over 100k individual wagers from the account wagering system. I speculated that as a group, betters would lose on average about 20 cents out of every dollar wagered - about the average track take. Actual results showed that they lost on average 19.23 cents out of every dollar wagered - pretty damn close to what I thought it would be.

This should illustrate to anyone wishing to make money at this activity that you MAY be able to outsmart your fellow gambler, but even if you do, it is extraordinarily unlikely that you will beat the rake. It's kinda like mutual funds - you MAY find a manager that is more skillful than average at stock or bond picking, but it is unlikely that their skill can outrun the fees they charge you to do it (especially after taxes). Oh, another digression...

Anyway, cheers and happy friday (god bless the weekend...),

JL

PS - oh yeah, this is about Toasty: one of my favorite players and perhaps the most technically proficient of anyone out there in my opinion. Hope he wins it all! :thumbup:

Sloppy Pockets
09-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Actual results showed that they lost on average 19.23 cents out of every dollar wagered - pretty damn close to what I thought it would be.

Interesting. Back in the 60s I worked for A&P in Saratoga in the summer. There are two tracks in 'Toga - a year-round harness track and, of course, the prestigious flat track TB meet in August. There was plenty of betting going on all summer long. Back before OTB guys would take bets over to the flat track on their days off, and bookies would stop by and take bets right there in the store.

My Dad was an addicted gambler who loved to lose his paycheck on the ponies and big Greek rummy games. He also ran numbers on a small scale, laying off the bigger bets to his brothers, who were bookies in Troy, NY.

There was a successful baker named Vince Catone who used to supply out store with fresh Italian bread daily. In the summer he would collect bets after his bread delivery and take the bets to the track for my Dad and others who worked there. I thought I made a good horse in one of the races and asked Mr. Catone to make a $20 bet for me. He just gave me a disgusted look and refused to do it. Then the conversation went something like this:

"I try to tell your father to stay away from them, but he won't listen to me. You can't beat the horses. No way. They take about 20% out of every dollar you bet there before the odds are even made. How you gonna beat that?"

"Well, Mr. Catone, why do you bet them then?", I asked.

"Danny, I make ten times what your father makes, and about twenty times what you probably make. I like to go and watch the horses and bet a little money on them. It can't hurt me the way I bet. Your father? He's gonna gamble away your college education the way he bets. Don't try be like him, he's a loser I hate to tell you."

I was very angry at Mr. Catone for saying that, but I quit betting on the ponies on the spot when I heard what he said about the track's take. I'd never understood how the odds were made, I'd just heard all the success stories from my Dad, and not about all the ripped up ticket he threw on the ground.

For the record, Dad did lose my college education money. Thankfully I was smart enough to earn a Regents scholarship to SUNY at Albany or I would have gotten a job over at Gardenway making rototillers right out of high school.

And now back to Thorsten... Go, man GO! You on FIRE, boy!:smile:

NYC cue dude
09-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Thorsten Hohmann. 2013 World 9 ball champion. A full decade after winning his last title.

arps
09-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Hohmann was friggin UNSTOPPABLE! a decade after his first, he gets the same title. sweet...

Lonestar_jim
09-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Very strong. Congratulations.

Celtic
09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
It is kind of funny how Thorsten took out the entire Philippine contingent single handed. They had a boatload of monsters through the final stages of the tournament and Thorsten took them out one after another. Enemy number one in the Philippines atm one would have to think, they must have thought they had it in the bag and Thorsten just mowed down the best they had to throw at him one after another.

AtLarge
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Here's Hohmann's path to victory:

Group Play

Lo Li Wen, 4-9
Mehdi Rasekhi, 9-2
Francisco Bustamante, 9-6

Single-Elimination Play

Kuribayashi Tohru, 11-10
Darren Appleton, 11-5
Dennis Orcollo, 11-8
Jeffrey De Luna, 11-7
Carlo Biado, 11-4
Antonio Gabica, 13-7

Hohmann's aggregate game-winning percentage was 61% (won 90, lost 58). For comparison, Gabbica won 54% of his games (won 80, lost 68).

AtLarge
09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
It is kind of funny how Thorsten took out the entire Philippine contingent single handed. They had a boatload of monsters through the final stages of the tournament and Thorsten took them out one after another. Enemy number one in the Philippines atm one would have to think, they must have thought they had it in the bag and Thorsten just mowed down the best they had to throw at him one after another.

Four Filipinos in a row, beating them 46-26 (64%)!

StraightPoolIU
09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
That's quite a feat and then throw in the fact he beat Appleton and Bustamante also...mind...blown.

LuckyStroke
09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
What's next for the Hitman? Mosconi's 526?

NYC cue dude
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
That's quite a feat and then throw in the fact he beat Appleton and Bustamante also...mind...blown.

Dennis. Gabica and Biado are great players, but Appleton, django and orcollo are CHAMPIONS. To beat them all in a matter of days is spectacular.

AtLarge
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
What's next for the Hitman? Mosconi's 526?

Hey, he already has the Bonus Ball high run. Isn't that enough?

LuckyStroke
09-13-2013, 12:18 PM

What's Bonus Ball :rolleyes:

JoeyA
09-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Interesting. Back in the 60s I worked for A&P in Saratoga in the summer. There are two tracks in 'Toga - a year-round harness track and, of course, the prestigious flat track TB meet in August. There was plenty of betting going on all summer long. Back before OTB guys would take bets over to the flat track on their days off, and bookies would stop by and take bets right there in the store.

My Dad was an addicted gambler who loved to lose his paycheck on the ponies and big Greek rummy games. He also ran numbers on a small scale, laying off the bigger bets to his brothers, who were bookies in Troy, NY.

There was a successful baker named Vince Catone who used to supply out store with fresh Italian bread daily. In the summer he would collect bets after his bread delivery and take the bets to the track for my Dad and others who worked there. I thought I made a good horse in one of the races and asked Mr. Catone to make a $20 bet for me. He just gave me a disgusted look and refused to do it. Then the conversation went something like this:

"I try to tell your father to stay away from them, but he won't listen to me. You can't beat the horses. No way. They take about 20% out of every dollar you bet there before the odds are even made. How you gonna beat that?"

"Well, Mr. Catone, why do you bet them then?", I asked.

"Danny, I make ten times what your father makes, and about twenty times what you probably make. I like to go and watch the horses and bet a little money on them. It can't hurt me the way I bet. Your father? He's gonna gamble away your college education the way he bets. Don't try be like him, he's a loser I hate to tell you."

I was very angry at Mr. Catone for saying that, but I quit betting on the ponies on the spot when I heard what he said about the track's take. I'd never understood how the odds were made, I'd just heard all the success stories from my Dad, and not about all the ripped up ticket he threw on the ground.

For the record, Dad did lose my college education money. Thankfully I was smart enough to earn a Regents scholarship to SUNY at Albany or I would have gotten a job over at Gardenway making rototillers right out of high school.

And now back to Thorsten... Go, man GO! You on FIRE, boy!:smile:

My dad didn't drink, smoke, steal or curse. He did however have a penchant for betting the ponies. He kept that under cover for most of my life, until he passed away and I inherited his very, very old car. My dad was poor his entire life, grew up in the depression, had a minimum wage job for most of that. He worked long hours to make up the difference. He wasn't on the government programs and basically he and we just did without.

I noticed that the windows would not roll down and the a/c was broke so I couldn't fix the AC but decided I would take a shot at the windows and pulled the door panels off. That's when my eyes almost exploded. As soon as I got the last screw off of the door panel, the panel jumped off of the door and flooded the driveway and part of the car with THOUSANDS OF losing tickets from the racetrack. There were so many of those ticket stuffed in there, the windows couldn't be rolled down and many of these were ten and twenty dollar tickets. I just couldn't believe my dad had blown all of that money on horses. When I pulled off the other door panel, it was the same thing. Yeah, I think that's where my college fund went. The horses ate my college fund. I should have counted up the dollar amount but I think I was just too sick to do anything except throw them in the garbage. Oh well, life got better and I turned out ok, I guess.

JoeyA

JAM
09-14-2013, 05:12 AM
My dad didn't drink, smoke, steal or curse. He did however have a penchant for betting the ponies. He kept that under cover for most of my life, until he passed away and I inherited his very, very old car. My dad was poor his entire life, grew up in the depression, had a minimum wage job for most of that. He worked long hours to make up the difference. He wasn't on the government programs and basically he and we just did without.

I noticed that the windows would not roll down and the a/c was broke so I couldn't fix the AC but decided I would take a shot at the windows and pulled the door panels off. That's when my eyes almost exploded. As soon as I got the last screw off of the door panel, the panel jumped off of the door and flooded the driveway and part of the car with THOUSANDS OF losing tickets from the racetrack. There were so many of those ticket stuffed in their, the windows couldn't be rolled down and many of these were ten and twenty dollar tickets. I just couldn't believe my dad had blown all of that money on horses. When I pulled off the other door panel, it was the same thing. Yeah, I think that's where my college fund went. The horses ate my college fund. I should have counted up the dollar amount but I think I was just too sick to do anything except throw them in the garbage. Oh well, life got better and I turned out ok, I guess.

JoeyA

That's horrible, Joey. :(

Some folks can gamble without forgetting their life's priorities. I can go to the track with 300 bucks, and when it's gone, I'm ready to go home. Keith? Well, let me just say we've had many a heated discussion at the track with the $300 runs out. :grin-square:

It's the same with drinking alcohol. Some folks can drink and support themselves or families. Others are maintenance drinkers and can't wake up without consuming alcohol.

Gambling is an addiction, just like alcohol and drugs. Not everybody has a problem with it. :)

Donny Lutz
09-14-2013, 10:03 AM

After winning the 14-1 and this 9-ball event, Thorsten is for the moment, the best player in the world.

Nostroke
09-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Not sure if anyone pointed it out but Thorsten is, by my perusal, the only male to win 2 WPC Titles in 8, 9 or 10 Ball this century!

rjb1168
09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
That's horrible, Joey. :(

Some folks can gamble without forgetting their life's priorities. I can go to the track with 300 bucks, and when it's gone, I'm ready to go home. Keith? Well, let me just say we've had many a heated discussion at the track with the $300 runs out. :grin-square:

It's the same with drinking alcohol. Some folks can drink and support themselves or families. Others are maintenance drinkers and can't wake up without consuming alcohol.

Gambling is an addiction, just like alcohol and drugs. Not everybody has a problem with it. :)

So very true Jam

rjb1168
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
After winning the 14-1 and this 9-ball event, Thorsten is for the moment, the best player in the world.

He is a powerful player, one of the best.

sjm
09-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Dennis. Gabica and Biado are great players, but Appleton, django and orcollo are CHAMPIONS. To beat them all in a matter of days is spectacular.

I have to disagree here. I think Biado has joined the ranks of the greatest players on the planet, and beating him right now is incredibly difficult.

Biado's last five efforts:

Hard Times 10-ball 1st place
US Open 1-pocket 3rd place
US Open 10-ball 5th place
US Open 8-ball 2nd place
World 9-ball 3rd place

Thorsten had one of the toughest draws imaginable, beating Francisco, Darren, Dennis, and Carlo. It makes his title all the more impressive.

CJ Wiley
09-14-2013, 11:09 PM

That's funny, I don't care who you are. :D

I wonder how good he'd play on a bar table? :thud:

Toncam
09-15-2013, 01:28 AM

I noticed that the windows would not roll down and the a/c was broke so I couldn't fix the AC but decided I would take a shot at the windows and pulled the door panels off. That's when my eyes almost exploded. As soon as I got the last screw off of the door panel, the panel jumped off of the door and flooded the driveway and part of the car with THOUSANDS OF losing tickets from the racetrack. There were so many of those ticket stuffed in their, the windows couldn't be rolled down and many of these were ten and twenty dollar tickets. I just couldn't believe my dad had blown all of that money on horses. When I pulled off the other door panel, it was the same thing. Yeah, I think that's where my college fund went. The horses ate my college fund. I should have counted up the dollar amount but I think I was just too sick to do anything except throw them in the garbage. Oh well, life got better and I turned out ok, I guess.

JoeyA

Now thats a hell of a story Joey, i thought i heard everything else before but thats a first, lol.
My pop was a book from when he got home from the Korean war till the mid 90,s when he retired, mainly the numbers but was very big in horses in the 60,s and 70,s in NY.
Anyway, he went bad in the late 60,s himself, became a "Customer" and as he tells it " One day i had over $100,000 cash under the mattress, in a few weeks it was gone". I know its true as he went away for a while till he sorted some things out as he owed about another 50 on the street, but anyway he straightened everything out with the shys and whatnot and didnt give up playing entirely but never went nuts and got into trouble again.

Counting the time i spent working with him and the games in NY and here in Vegas, i been in the business roughly 40 something years and i have seen fortunes and lives lost over this garbage. If you can control yourself, it can be fun and a rush, if you cant, its deadly.

Island Drive
09-15-2013, 08:33 AM
That's funny, I don't care who you are. :D

I wonder how good he'd play on a bar table? :thud:

Huh....:scratchhead: it be like asking how Matlock would play on a 6X12 in his prime.

09-16-2013, 07:23 AM
What a great year for Thorsten!
I thought he has been away for a while, but if you see the money list below: he was always there, and concentrating on tournaments which are important for him!

I have seen him as a junior player in Germany, ready for the world! We all saw what could be possible! Now it is!

I wish him more years like that, more titles and the great honor of the HOF soon. He deserves it. He is a great worker, a great sportsman and a big ambassador for pool!

Go Toastie!

2013 43 T$
2012 24 T$
2011 98 T$
2010 59 T$
2009 58 T$
2008 39 T$
2007 15 T$
2006 349 T$
2005 106 T$
2004 54 T$
2003 106 T$