PDA

View Full Version : House Pro's

icucybe
09-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Hello fellas!

Is there a thread dedicated to list house pro's and their locations? I think that would be nice for players seeking guidance and will be good for bussiness too. Win win! If there is a thread please point me in the right direction since I try search but couldnt find one. If not we can post them in this one.

To start here are the ones I know:

Mike Sigel -
Champion Billiards Sports Café
5205 Buckeystown Pike
Frederick, Md. 21704
(301) 846-0089
www.frederickchampions.com

Tony Robles & Mika Immonen
Amsterdam Billiards
110 East 11th Street,
New York, NY
212-995-0333
http://amsterdambilliards.com/

Earl Strickland & Others
Steinway Cafe & Billiards
3525 Steinway St.
Astoria, NY 11102
(718) 472-2124
http://www.steinwaybilliards.com/lessons/

Anyone else out there?

macguy
09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Hello fellas!

Is there a thread dedicated to list house pro's and their locations? I think that would be nice for players seeking guidance and will be good for bussiness too. Win win! If there is a thread please point me in the right direction since I try search but couldnt find one. If not we can post them in this one.

Mike Sigel -
5205 Buckeystown Pike
Frederick, Md. 21704
(301) 846-0089

Amsterdam Billiards
110 East 11th Street,
New York, NY
212-995-0333

Earl Strickland & Others
3525 Steinway St.
Astoria, NY 11102
(718) 472-2124

Anyone else out there?

In what respect are these guys "House pros"? Do they get paid? Do they do work around the room when extra help is needed? Are they sponsored by the rooms? I remember one guy wanting to be my house pro. He actually came out and told me he would not go behind the bar or anything like that. He would practice in my room and give lessons and so on. And of course for this great privilege I could pay him $300.00 a week, (A lot of money at that time), for him to do basically nothing.

So what defines a house pro?

Donny Lutz
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
In what respect are these guys "House pros"? Do they get paid? Do they do work around the room when extra help is needed? Are they sponsored by the rooms? I remember one guy wanting to be my house pro. He actually came out and told me he would not go behind the bar or anything like that. He would practice in my room and give lessons and so on. And of course for this great privilege I could pay him $300.00 a week, (A lot of money at that time), for him to do basically nothing.

I've always been a little uncomfortable with the term, house "pro".

I've never played professionally, but I've been called the house "pro" in four different establishments over the years. My duties included running tournaments and organizing/directing leagues, as well as giving lessons. I worked for minimum wages, as I also got a secretary's fee for running a BCA league and of course fees for lessons.

I preferred the titles, "resident instructor" and "league/tournament director".

m79a
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Karen Corr was the house pro at JOB Billiards in Madison, Tn. I don't know if she still is.

Scott Lee
09-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Sigle is no longer at Champions in Frederick. IMO you're looking for the wrong thing. You should be looking for a list of professional instructors...www.playbetterbilliards.com

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.comHello fellas!

Mike Sigel -
5205 Buckeystown Pike
Frederick, Md. 21704
(301) 846-0089

Amsterdam Billiards
110 East 11th Street,
New York, NY
212-995-0333

Earl Strickland & Others
3525 Steinway St.
Astoria, NY 11102
(718) 472-2124

Anyone else out there?

tom mcgonagle
09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm the Pool House Pro at Amazin Billiards in Malden, Ma. I receive certain benefits for being the House Pro. Mazin Schooni is the Three Cushion House Pro.

Pete
09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm the Pool House Pro at Amazin Billiards in Malden, Ma. I receive certain benefits for being the House Pro. Mazin Schooni is the Three Cushion House Pro.

And what a great room it is there. A lot of great player play there. Just saying.

Hi Tom...

decent dennis
09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I remember when Tom Ferry (Old Has Been), was the houseman at a place called Powerhouse Billiards in st. louis in the early eighties. Place didn't last but a couple years.

bdorman
09-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Like most "title" definitions, it's used pretty loosely.

But if Gomer can be a "maintenance engineer" then I guess Sigel, Robles, Immonen and Strickland can be called House Pros.

Heck, while I was in high school Denny's Restaurants called me a Chef.

allanpsand
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Sigle is no longer at Champions in Frederick. IMO you're looking for the wrong thing. You should be looking for a list of professional instructors...www.playbetterbilliards.com

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Instructors are generally available through local resources. Any decent pool hall will have someone who can come out to give lessons, either private or a hall-sponsored event.

icucybe
09-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Sorry for not explaining myself clearly in the first post.

I was thinking not just get instruction but actually more of also getting to know and meet them. Hear stories if possible and see them shoot. By them I mean pros and well known players as well as instructors that usually can be seen at a pool hall they frequent. Hall of famers that are still alive and around the pool world. What halls do they frequent and do they welcome others who visit? Current pros where do they usually practice or can be seen when not on tour? What pool halls they call home?

It was great going for the first time this year to expo and getting to meet some of them and see them shoot so closely.

JAM
09-13-2013, 05:46 AM
The problem is the house pros come and go. There aren't too many who are a fixture in a pool room for a long period of time. For this reason, it is kind of like hard to keep things current. :(

Last time I checked, Dave Bollman was House Pro at Barry Behrman's pool room Q-Masters in Norfolk, Virginia, depicted on the left with Buddy Hall on the right. :)

Pushout
09-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Funny, the title of the thread is "House Pro Is" LOL!

Tronpocket
09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Karen Corr was the house pro at JOB Billiards in Madison, Tn. I don't know if she still is.

Sorry m79a, we (Fuscos) stole her back, she moved out of tenn. earlier this year and is living back in P.A. , when shes in the states that is.....

on a side note she should be available for personal and group lessons by the end on this month whenever she get back from eurasia.

KMRUNOUT
09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm the house pro at my table in my mom's basement. I get free home cooked meals, unconditional love, and the occasional loan.

Overall it's a pretty good arrangement.

KMRUNOUT

Nine ... corner
09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm the house pro at my table in my mom's basement. I get free home cooked meals, unconditional love, and the occasional loan.

Overall it's a pretty good arrangement.

KMRUNOUT

Lol ... unconditional love is tough to find in a poolroom. Bring her flowers once in a while! :)

RiCHiE$RiCH
09-13-2013, 10:53 AM
What was the old skinny black man's name that was always in high cue in Elizabeth, NJ? Does anyone remember? Thanks

Tronpocket
09-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Sorry m79a, we (Fuscos) stole her back, she moved out of tenn. earlier this year and is living back in P.A. , when shes in the states that is.....

on a side note she should be available for personal and group lessons by the end on this month whenever she get back from eurasia.

UPDATE 9/13: Shes Back:thumbup: