PDA

View Full Version : I want to run a photo contest on AZ

BillPorter
09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Iíve been thinking about a little contest Iíd like to have here on AZ. It would target those of you who may have some old photos that are pool-related. If you have a photo (or slide or negative) that shows something of interest or historical value and is pool-related, send it along to me at billporter1874@yahoo.com. Iíll upload the image to a gallery on Smugmug.com and when we have enough to run the contest, Iíll ask AZ members to vote on the images.

After a week of voting, the winning image will go up on our homepage of old pool photos as the ďcoverĒ image. We get several thousand visitor a month on our Website, so your photo, with your name prominently displayed, will get lots of views. Maybe someone will suggest some form of additional prize for the winner?

We donít sell the images on our Website, so this contest wonít profit me in any way. I suggest it because it seems like it may be fun and because it will create a new gallery of contributed photos on our Website. So if you like the idea, let me know and go ahead and shoot me some images. I can scan photos, negatives, or slides and Iíll be glad to retouch or otherwise edit the images to make them as presentable as possible.

Mr. Bond
09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
should it be a photo that a person has taken themselves - or just a photo found - or what?

BillPorter
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
should it be a photo that a person has taken themselves - or just a photo found - or what?

Well, I hadn't considered the possibility of submitting a "found" photo, but I don't see why not. It would be nice to give photo credit to the photographer, but I guess I wouldn't rule out photos from an unknown photographer. We could just say, "Photo contributed by John Doe" instead of, "Photo by John Doe."

And by the way, you would be more than welcome to any of the images for use on your fine Website.

jockey
09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
anything goes? and cannot be photoshop? must be straight photo, no enhancement?
maybe a little dust flecking or cropping, that would be acceptable?
this sounds pretty good.
there are a few guys in the az forum who are killer photographers.
i'll post this thread in my signature area as a hyperlink for those interested.
hopefully a strong response

mel_smOg
09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
this sounds pretty good.

my gf just bought D5100, with simpler lense though.

she promissed me she will take good pictures of my cues!!!

great idea btw on the contest, I am sure we will some good pictures

Cdryden
09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Neat idea. I don't have anything personally anymore thanks to the ex wife aka psycho b***** from Hell.

I used to have a cool pool tournament poster that pictures of Buddy Hall, Lou Bueterra, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, David Howard, Mike Labraun (sp) and a few others on it and most of the players signed it for me.

The ex ripped it up because she knew I loved it. :mad:

macguy
09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I’ve been thinking about a little contest I’d like to have here on AZ. It would target those of you who may have some old photos that are pool-related. If you have a photo (or slide or negative) that shows something of interest or historical value and is pool-related, send it along to me at billporter1874@yahoo.com. I’ll upload the image to a gallery on Smugmug.com and when we have enough to run the contest, I’ll ask AZ members to vote on the images.

After a week of voting, the winning image will go up on our homepage of old pool photos as the “cover” image. We get several thousand visitor a month on our Website, so your photo, with your name prominently displayed, will get lots of views. Maybe someone will suggest some form of additional prize for the winner?

We don’t sell the images on our Website, so this contest won’t profit me in any way. I suggest it because it seems like it may be fun and because it will create a new gallery of contributed photos on our Website. So if you like the idea, let me know and go ahead and shoot me some images. I can scan photos, negatives, or slides and I’ll be glad to retouch or otherwise edit the images to make them as presentable as possible.
Can we submit more then one? I also suggest the photos must be the property of the person submitting the photo. I have found pictures of mine on peoples websites that were scanned from publications.

Tramp Steamer
09-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Here you go. This was taken just before me and my lady friend went out for the evening. She said she wanted to go to the theater.
Turns out it was a drive-in theater.
She bent over to give me a kiss and I spilled diet Pepsi all over my rented tux. :)

BillPorter
09-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Can we submit more then one? I also suggest the photos must be the property of the person submitting the photo. I have found pictures of mine on peoples websites that were scanned from publications.

Maybe, in order to keep it down to a manageable number of photos, on this first effort at a contest, let's make it one photo per AZ member. I know that Mary Kenniston has thousands of old pool pics and I don't know how I could handle it if she sent along a few hundred.

I hope that any photos submitted are the property of the person who submits them, but I don't know how I be sure that such is the case.

BillPorter
09-12-2013, 05:31 PM
this sounds pretty good.

My first thought was to limit the photos to OLD photos, maybe anything earlier than 1990. But I guess we can just open it up to anything pool-related. And sure, photoshopping is OK. Heck, I probably couldn't tell for sure if had been photoshopped or not anyway. :)

Thanks for your response.

jockey
09-16-2013, 08:55 AM
az member mortuarymike sent this jpeg to me and i wanted to share.
this is a good example of the competition that will be faced by contestants :)

BillPorter
09-16-2013, 11:31 AM

Not exactly "pool-related" but a great shot nonetheless! I have gotten 3-4 pics for a possible contest, so I am hopefully I'll get a few more if I bump this thread.

juegabillar
09-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Not exactly "pool-related" but a great shot nonetheless! I have gotten 3-4 pics for a possible contest, so I am hopefully I'll get a few more if I bump this thread.

Just saw this thread today....I have some photos from the 1996 Camel-PBT Gran Prix of Puerto Rico but have to look for them. Rodney Morris won this event and the immediately won the US Open. Hopefully, Ill find the pictures tonight once I get home.

bdorman
09-16-2013, 01:01 PM

I guess mortuarymike takes photos of his future customers :D

BTW, "earlier than 1990" ain't old! I've got neckties older than 1990.

BillPorter
09-16-2013, 01:44 PM

I'd have to check, but I think I have some underwear older than that. :grin:

mortuarymike-nv
09-16-2013, 01:51 PM

That is a friend of my nephews. I very much hope my nephews and their friends stay safe.
I have taken tons of pictures of pool cues , but nothing of pool events really

and the few events I took a camera , the camera was a power shoot.
Kenny koo.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2983.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2983.jpg.html)

another azer speedy
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2965.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2965.jpg.html)

I think this kent davis and the other guy and his wife has a lot to do with palmer cues.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2968.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/EXPO%20OF%20NOV%2012%202011/IMG_2968.jpg.html)

these are just pictures nothing out of the ordinary .

most of my photography is billiard products, and They are not that good.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/IMG_0482_zps0f384b7f.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/IMG_0482_zps0f384b7f.jpg.html)
MMike

bflgvs
09-16-2013, 04:33 PM

Is this kinda-sorta what you'd be looking for? I shot this last February at an exhibition in Bremerton, WA at Junior Tolentino's 'Stixx and Stones Billiards."

I had to downsize and reduce the quality in order to post it. I'm extremely limited on uploading documents on satellite internet.

bflgvs
09-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Dan Louie
Stixx and Stones Billiards February 2013 in exhibition match with Francisco Bustamante

BillPorter
09-16-2013, 07:11 PM

I[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][B]s this kinda-sorta what you'd be looking for? I shot this last February at an exhibition in Bremerton, WA at Junior Tolentino's 'Stixx and Stones Billiards."

You bet! Very nice image, IMHO. I'll stick it in our Contributed Photos gallery and when I get at least 10 images, maybe we'll do a vote for the best photo.

BillPorter
09-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Dan Louie
Stixx and Stones Billiards February 2013 in exhibition match with Francisco Bustamante

If, for our little contest, we limit it to one photo per person, which of yours do you want me to include?

bflgvs
09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
If, for our little contest, we limit it to one photo per person, which of yours do you want me to include?

Bill,
If you limit it to only one, use the photo of Dan Louie. If you allow multiple photos I may want to include one of Kim Smith. Kim is a local who played in the tournament the evening before the exhibition and finished 3rd behind Rich Geiler and Busty.

JAM
09-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Man, I have so many photos. It's hard to pick just one.

I love my Conquering Caesar photo of Keith in front of the castle. :grin-square:

JAM
09-17-2013, 02:06 AM
I am not a professional photographer, and I don't have a fancy camera, but this is another photo which always put a smile on my face. It is multicultural and shows diversity in the pool world.

I call it, "Say 'cheese.'" :grin-square:

JAM
09-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Okay, one more. Again, I know we're only supposed to submit one, but I can't pick just one.

Keith just lost a $500 match against Ginky. Keith was spotting Ginky. He wants to play another one but change the handicap. The title of this one: "What do you mean you won't change the spot?"

Thepip
09-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Just to make sure I am clear with the photo rules can i use my camera phone and edit it with instagram? I don't have any classic pictures of any old or new hustlers just new stuff i come across and see.

BillPorter
09-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Just to make sure I am clear with the photo rules can i use my camera phone and edit it with instagram? I don't have any classic pictures of any old or new hustlers just new stuff i come across and see.

I think the only requirement is that the photo be pool-related.

se10player
09-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Love the Change the spot photo it gets my vote

devorator
09-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Here are the SBE 2013. Canon 50D - 70-200 f4.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=315587

fasted71465
09-21-2013, 08:04 AM
It won't be fair if I send in a pic of myself I would win hands down. So I will sit this one out.:D

twal
09-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Man, I have so many photos. It's hard to pick just one.

I love my Conquering Caesar photo of Keith in front of the castle. :grin-square:

Love this pic.
Cracks me up.