PDA

View Full Version : Bank Pool? (Short Rack)

Banks
09-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with how many people have been willing to play bank pool around here. Some even enjoy it! I have a fair idea of how I do against a few local players, but the amount of competition isn't anywhere near what you'd find in the real home of bank pool.

I have a couple of questions..

I saw on 1P.org that Da Beard says a decent player should make 1 in 4 straight-backs and about 2 out of 3 short cross-side/corner shots. Playing an 'average' player, how many turns at the table would you usually expect to get?

I am thinking about putting together a monthly tournament, too. The hall has a monthly 14.1, so I would think adding 1P and banks would be a good idea, too. Would 2 out of 3 take too long, or is it better to go with one of the 'race to 13 balls' kinds of tournaments?

This would be something I'd work on for next year, since I plan on taking some time off from league play. Maybe $20 buy-in, but $10 may be more attractive to dead money players.

Gunn_Slinger
09-13-2013, 04:04 PM
What area are you in? No bank pool action in northern va,

Banks
09-13-2013, 04:12 PM
What area are you in? No bank pool action in northern va,

Good old Portland, OR.. home of.. well.. hmm.. not much, really. :embarrassed2:

dr9ball
09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Good old Portland, OR.. home of.. well.. hmm.. not much, really. :embarrassed2:

Aside from having to fade the table conditions with the open windows, there are some nice rooms there.

I'd go with 2 out of 3 in short rack banks and figure no more than an 1/2 hour per match. Some will be over well before that. If you have some less skilled players you might consider handicapping the event by giving balls as a spot.

Good luck with your tournament. Those tables we played on are hard to fade.

Banks
09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Aside from having to fade the table conditions with the open windows, there are some nice rooms there.

I'd go with 2 out of 3 in short rack banks and figure no more than an 1/2 hour per match. Some will be over well before that. If you have some less skilled players you might consider handicapping the event by giving balls as a spot.

Good luck with your tournament. Those tables we played on are hard to fade.

Yeah, those tables can be tricky if you haven't gotten them down. I was considering the handicap, but figured I would need to have a couple of tournaments played before they could be instituted. Had a couple of 4s last night, one to close a rack, so I'm getting more comfortable on them. Good to hear from you, Rufus, hope you're doing well.