PDA

View Full Version : Is pool dead?

dom_poppa
09-14-2013, 12:07 AM
I haven't frequent this site since last year and I was reminded of this place when I approached a friend's Facebook page. This place has gotten a face lift and it looks great. Also, I haven't stepped in a pool room in months, 6 months to be exact.

Is the game of pool in your every seem to be dead? I have been at bars drinking and would occasionally play with the drunks. It's been quiet at the bar scene and this place looks to be slow too.

I was at the For Sale section and it's not active like before?

How is your area handling the game? Leagues still killing the game?

Dopc
09-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Pool is not "Dead" here in my parts (Columbus, Ohio), but it's also not setting the world on fire either. The leagues are maintaining themselves, although I can't give you any statistics regarding growth/decline.

Several of the old poolhalls are still open around here, but I will say they are fairly slow on the off nights and it's also obvious not a lot of money is being invested in them as far as remodeling, furnishings and maintenance goes. A couple poolhalls keep things nice and maintained though.

However, when it comes to the small neighborhood bars, they've taken a MAJOR hit in the last several years due to the "smoking ban law" & "Economy" issues. There have been many, many smaller neighborhood bars close up shop. The commercial bars/restaurants appear to be doing fairly well.

That's how I see it in my area anyways.

Dopc.

The Renfro
09-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Pool is alive and prospering just not the way it used to... Lease costs and bad landlords are killing many rooms but likely not near as many as just bad management....

There are more tournaments today than I ever remember 10 years ago but the cost of the road is the biggest hurdle to making it doing a circuit...

Instead of ABP beating on Barry they should be approaching a hotel chain and a truckstop chain to negotiate half priced rooms and fuel discounts for members and then attempt to get every player out there as a member...

Cut the cost of the nut of the road and everyone will win.....

Chris

336Robin
09-14-2013, 02:11 AM
I haven't frequent this site since last year and I was reminded of this place when I approached a friend's Facebook page. This place has gotten a face lift and it looks great. Also, I haven't stepped in a pool room in months, 6 months to be exact.

Is the game of pool in your every seem to be dead? I have been at bars drinking and would occasionally play with the drunks. It's been quiet at the bar scene and this place looks to be slow too.

Pool isn't dead yet but its suffering and needs a facelift. If I had an opinion I would say that the first thing needed is immediately we need to see Action in pool. Action could come in several ways. Pool is a spectator sport. We need to SEE people play.

So when a Road Player comes in there needs to be a place for people to sit if someone local decides to take him on ie Bleachers.

If a Pro comes though the same applies. We know who the Pro Player is he isn't hustling but why not give some value to guys who want to play him and spread the word he is there. Id love to get a phone call and someone say hey....so and so is down at the Pool Room and hes going to play some folks to raise money for the Open. Hes playing some fairly cheap sets. Id be right on that but it doesn't happen.

Leagues don't really kill the game in my opinion, they are the only thing bringing in new players to the sport, Pool Players are Pool Players and better than No Players.

sammylane12
09-14-2013, 03:10 AM

Leagues killing the game? In my opinion they are more keeping the game going than killing it. As a former pool room owner I can state that the leagues were great for my business. I don`t know where all the negativity comes from regarding the leagues, the pool rooms around here could not exist without them.

ghost ball
09-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Dead? No.
Dying? Yes

CocoboloCowboy
09-14-2013, 07:49 AM
APA League Owner are making a killing, Room & Bar Owners are hurting in the Phoenix Metro Area. You only need drive buy, and see the parking lots are not packed. Place tha are busy, and with cashflowing, still don't have the bottom line they once did. Bull Shooters with 45 Tables must have a bill or 8-10k a month in the summer to keep the place cool, 7 x 24, x 365. Than you go all the other bill to pay, and profit is left if any.

Quesports
09-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Leagues killing the game? In my opinion they are more keeping the game going than killing it. As a former pool room owner I can state that the leagues were great for my business. I don`t know where all the negativity comes from regarding the leagues, the pool rooms around here could not exist without them.

I agree with your opinion of leagues keeping pool & pool rooms alive and have said so many times. The negativity about leagues is due in part to the irresponsible behavior of some league operators and by the league players that manipulate the rules by cheating. In some leagues it is more apparent than others and seems to be tolerated by both the operators and the players. Overall though the leagues are certainly more beneficial than many are willing to admit. JMO!!

grover
09-14-2013, 07:58 AM
there is nothing wrong with pool, evolution of pool or any other sport is a natural thing, with highs and lows. pool aint dead or dying, pool be around forever.

swami4u
09-14-2013, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjdbGyNq3o.....

My answer...... Cant kill something with history...

TheBook
09-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I have lost interest but I am only one. I am 67 and have got more interested in the sport of bike riding. Look at this video of the Nine Knights.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/news/article/nine.knights.mtb.final.highlights.video/16949/

There were over 3000 in attendance, how many pool tournaments draw that?

I would rather be outside doing something active and physical than sitting around waiting for my match. I am not as skilled as those riders are and will never be (not at my age) but I bought a gravel grinder and now me and my wife spend a lot of time hitting the trails and having a blast.

I think that is why pool is dead or dying, it is too slow, no action and nothing exciting. (don't bring up poker:D)

Also seen where a package for tickets for the last 3 days court side plus 2 nights at a NYC hotel for the US Tennis Open finals was starting $29,000. It included 2 nights at a major hotel but no taxes, no food, no drinks and etc. taxes were not included. Where does any pool tournament draw this? It is almost impossible for the tournaments to get anyone to pay for any admission.

CreeDo
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
What's a game or similar physical activity that was popular for hundreds of years,
didn't cost too much to get into, but died out almost completely anyway? Serious question.

I'm trying to think examples of something similar to pool that died in, say, the past 50 or 100 years.

If nobody can think of anything, then there's probably no need to worry so much about pool dying.
I know some card games have died out, there was a time when everyone played Canasta.
But "cards" in general isn't going anywhere.

Croquet I guess? Cricket?

CJ Wiley
09-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Pool is far from "dead," Pocket Billiards has just been hibernating like a big grizzly bear. :D

http://lbah.com/images/katmai/Large/tedfishmouthlarge.jpg

Banks
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM

The guy is just a troll.. and not even a very good one. Hasn't stepped foot in a pool hall in 6 months and asks if league is still killing pool. :rolleyes: Not sure what drugs he's on, but reality and he don't see eye to eye.

MahnaMahna
09-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Pool is just waiting for the next person with money to make another bad business decision. Then things will be back to normal.