PDA

View Full Version : No pool for Asian games!

Donny Lutz
09-14-2013, 09:57 AM
I just read the article on AZ about the Asian games dropping pool from its schedule.
With perhaps 100 million people worldwide playing pool, and the great success of Asian players, I don't understand the reasoning.

Could it be that, as I posted yesterday about tv and advertising executives, the Olympic Committee is made up of old men who still look down at pool and poolplayers?

david(tx)
09-14-2013, 10:46 AM
I just read the article on AZ about the Asian games dropping pool from its schedule.
With perhaps 100 million people worldwide playing pool, and the great success of Asian players, I don't understand the reasoning.

Could it be that, as I posted yesterday about tv and advertising executives, the Olympic Committee is made up of old men who still look down at pool and poolplayers?

Bet it could be political if one country dominates an event , and it could be funding and costs . Wasn't a major pool tournament cancelled in the Philippines ?I'd guess the Japanese and Chinese are the ones funding the games .

boogeyman
09-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Probably more financial that political.
Why would the governing bodies want to deny the masses a popular sport in a particular region. Wouldn't make sense. Asian pool on it's own is growing, believe it. The high schools have pool programs and to Asians, in particular the Chinese playing pool is a pastime. For example, at my local Pac-12 University, it's usually the Chinese students who patronize the Rec Room pool (tables).

I can almost imagine pool coming back to the games next year. Just think about it. Where are the hotspots right now in pool?????????

China, Philippines, U.S. Europe, & (soon to be) Saudi Arabian peninsula. Tons of new players are going to be world-beaters in the next few years. Pool will REVIVE!!!!!!!!!!

juegabillar
09-14-2013, 04:41 PM

The Olympic Committee has nothing to do with the Asian Games. Asian Games are managed by a separate entity.

Donny Lutz
09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
The Olympic Committee has nothing to do with the Asian Games. Asian Games are managed by a separate entity.

In the article which appears on the AZ home page, it states the Asian games operate with "oversight of the International Olympic Committee", and that they dropped pool from the event...

one stroke
09-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Should not have been there in the first place , only athletic sports should be in the Asian games or the Olympics , pool is no where near a athletic sport