PDA

View Full Version : Johnny, Shane, Rodney...

DefiniteHasBeen
09-15-2013, 09:51 AM
... who should be the final 2 American players on the Mosconi Cup this year?

pooladdiction
09-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Mike D and Corey D

benny-the-blade
09-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Should be: Corey Deuel, Mike Dechaine.

Will be: Corey and Earl Strickland.

Jpowell7575
09-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Earl and Corey if they wanna win

KoolKat9Lives
09-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Cleary and Fatboy have earned their place. No question.

KK9 <-- doesn't understand why this is so difficult :grin-square:

NYC cue dude
09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Earl is certainly on the team this year. Unless he loses his passport, he'll be there. That essentially leaves one spot available. My guess is that it will be Corey, as he's got a good name with those at Matchroom. Not sure it really matters, though. Europe is going to be a tough draw this year.

chilli dipper
09-15-2013, 10:20 AM
I am pretty sure Mike D got himself taken off the gtg list regardless of how well he plays now.

JAM
09-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Dennis Hatch's presence on Team USA has always been heralded as one of promoting team spirit. He was MVP one year. Dennis will be there, along with Earl. :cool:

oldplayer
09-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Johnny asked the mosconi director what he wanted......he told johnny, "I want ratings, just ratings". with that, how could you not have earl there? and, look how earl is shooting these days.....lethal, just lethal.

JumpinJoe
09-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Earl and Corey. The obvious best 2 players left. And can handle any pressure,atmosphere.
Mike D. is not ready for the mosconi cup.
Dennis Hatchs game has slightly dropped over the past decade, dont seem motivated andand has never been as good a player as either Earl or Corey. High gear when he hits it, but that dont work on these types of short races.

DefiniteHasBeen
09-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Dennis Hatch's presence on Team USA has always been heralded as one of promoting team spirit. He was MVP one year. Dennis will be there, along with Earl. :cool:

I agree fully and think it will be Dennis and Earl. Those 5 should bring great ratings and a win!

Diamond Jack
09-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Hoping for Earl and Dennis to complete the US Team.

know it all
09-15-2013, 11:53 AM
How about Larry the truth Nevell and Earl Strickland or Dennis Hatch???? POWERHOUSE PLAYERS....AND> Mike Gulyassy for coach,which was a 2 time player on the mosconi cup and good one too....Hes been there done it and knows how to WIN>See how those europeans fade that action......Rich aka the skunk.

mristea
09-15-2013, 12:57 PM

My opinion is identical with yours ;-)

bdorman
09-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Alex Pagulayan and Dennis Orcullo.

I'm from Chicago; it can be arranged.

(You want Mickey Mouse to win the state of Illinois in the next election? No problem, as long as you've got the cash -- no checks, no credit cards) :D

boogeyman
09-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Let's understand one thing here: the Mosconi cup is not all about who is playing the best right now or recently. No doubt, many top players can play nine ball well enough.

This is about team spirit, cohesiveness, and the ability to both handle pressure and make your fellow-teammates better.

TEAM SPIRIT: rooting on and striving for the win. not looking at stats or wanting to be a hero.
COHESIVENESS: getting along with, not causing angst, and being a part of the group effort
PRESSURE: calm and professional demeanor
BETTERING TEAMMATES: showing leadership and making teammates comfortable.

THAT SAID. Earl-No way, Hatch- Yes, Mike D.-maybe, Corey-Yes, Huff-Yes, Oscar-Yes

westcoast
09-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Earl and Corey Deuel are two of my favorite players, so I hope it is those two

RobertaAgnor
09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Earl was the first one announced to be on the team.

westcoast
09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Earl was the first one announced to be on the team.

I don't think there has been an official announcement stating that Earl is on the team.

I was at Steinways in mid-August and I congratulated him on making the team and he replied that he doesn't know if he is on the team or not. I thought he was just playing it close to the vest, but I haven't seen an official announcement of him being on the team yet

Cuebuddy
09-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Earl is certainly on the team this year. Unless he loses his passport, he'll be there. That essentially leaves one spot available. My guess is that it will be Corey, as he's got a good name with those at Matchroom. Not sure it really matters, though. Europe is going to be a tough draw this year.

The passport should not be a problem...this year.

Majic
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM

TOP ranked BB players..........

thought everyone knew who made the team

sjm
09-15-2013, 07:08 PM
For the first time in several years, I think Earl deserves inclusion on merit.

He took Ko Pin Yi to the double hill at the US Open 10-ball event in July and came within a whisker of beating Shane in the race to 15 final of the Steinway Classic in August.

Earl is really playing well right now and he'll help the chances of Team USA.

Prey
09-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Earl and Corey is my vote!

justadub
09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
It'll be Earl and Hatch.

jay helfert
09-15-2013, 07:38 PM
It'll be Earl and Hatch.

If they are looking for ratings, then these would be my two choices as well. Both are emotional, high strung and can make a ball or two under pressure.
That said the USA is a huge underdog this year, no matter how you cut it. Five of the final eight players (five is a Mosconi Cup team!) at the World 9-Ball were Europeans. Only two Americans made the final 64 and only Shane made the final sixteen.

RobertaAgnor
09-15-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't think there has been an official announcement stating that Earl is on the team.

I was at Steinways in mid-August and I congratulated him on making the team and he replied that he doesn't know if he is on the team or not. I thought he was just playing it close to the vest, but I haven't seen an official announcement of him being on the team yet

I stand corrected :), I had apparently not read the statement carefully enough!

BeiberLvr
09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I think the US will have a tough time no matter who makes the team, but I think their chances drop significantly if it's anyone other than Corey and Earl.

tryin2playagain
09-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Passport for vegas? :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

westcoast
09-15-2013, 09:34 PM
If they are looking for ratings, then these would be my two choices as well. Both are emotional, high strung and can make a ball or two under pressure.
That said the USA is a huge underdog this year, no matter how you cut it. Five of the final eight players (five is a Mosconi Cup team!) at the World 9-Ball were Europeans. Only two Americans made the final 64 and only Shane made the final sixteen.

Who will be on Team Europe? Appleton, Hohmann, Souqet, Shaw, Mika? Of course they will be dangerous, but I don't know that the following USA team would be serious underdogs against anybody in the world:

SVB, Archer, Morris, Earl, and Deuel. All five of those guys are world class players, have played under the pressure of the cup before, and can duke it out with anybody. I wouldn't guarantee victory, but that is one tough team right there. In addition, they have all played pretty well this past year.

Regarding the world 9 ball- I think only SVB and Corey played in it out of those five guys I listed. So, it it difficult to make a judgment based off of the world 9 ball

Johnnyt
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
If the U.S players really want to win the cup this year they will be practicing their 9 ball break on a Diamond with the 9 on the spot. In these short races it's critical to make a ball on the break and play lock-up safes when you don't have a good % shot. No more of these Hail Mary shots that make you a hero for the crowd when you make them and a goat when you miss and give Europe a free point. The U.S has to play a smart tight game to win. Johnnyt

Lumocolor
09-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Earl is a great player, one of the best of all time, but does anyone really want to play doubles with Earl? I know it's only for a few days and that they aren't all doubles matches but nothing ruins teams more than egos and crazy attitudes. The best team on paper isn't necessarily the best team.

Just watching a little bonus ball you could tell that most of the time both Nevel and Kiamco wished they were anywhere else, playing with anyone else.

Frankly if Earl is there it will surely make for better entertainment and i'll love to watch the hilarity, but IMO he has as much of a chance of helping the US lose as he does to make them win.

JB Cases
09-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I am pretty sure Mike D got himself taken off the gtg list regardless of how well he plays now.

What happened? Dammit you get banned for a few weeks and the world goes to hell.

JB Cases
09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Earl should be there just based on the 20th Anniversary aspect alone. I don't have a clue who the fifth player should be.

Frankly I vote for Oscar Dominguez. Second generation pro, nice guy and great player. Equally as much I'd like to see Tony Robles get a spot.

chilli dipper
09-15-2013, 11:12 PM
They have to go with experience, its the only way they will stand a chance! Europe is going to put out 5 studs!

JAM
09-16-2013, 02:27 AM
To compare American standings versus European standings at the recent World 9-Ball event in Qatar may not be a good measuring stick. How many Europeans were in the event, and how many Americans were in the event?

voiceofreason
09-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Bring who you like - you're going to get battered :D

jay helfert
09-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Who will be on Team Europe? Appleton, Hohmann, Souqet, Shaw, Mika? Of course they will be dangerous, but I don't know that the following USA team would be serious underdogs against anybody in the world:

SVB, Archer, Morris, Earl, and Deuel. All five of those guys are world class players, have played under the pressure of the cup before, and can duke it out with anybody. I wouldn't guarantee victory, but that is one tough team right there. In addition, they have all played pretty well this past year.

Regarding the world 9 ball- I think only SVB and Corey played in it out of those five guys I listed. So, it it difficult to make a judgment based off of the world 9 ball

Any way you cut it, five of the final eight were Europeans! There's no disputing that fact. Yes, the American team you mention does look good on paper, but they have not all played that well in recent Mosconi Cups, succumbing to the pressure many times. I was a witness to that.

Johnny may be the best under pressure and Earl has the best overall record down through the years. Corey is playing the best he has in years, so that's a good thing. He was very shaky in his last two appearances in the Cup though. No question Rodney is a great player, but will the real Rodney show up this year and not that imposter we saw last time? You've got to put Shane on any American team, since he is our best player. He has had his good and bad moments in the Cup as well.

IMO it's all about who performs the best under pressure. We know these are all good players. The Europeans seem to have it on that count right now.

On another note, the best five man teams I ever saw (besides the early U.S. Mosconi Cup teams) were the filipinos in the heyday of Efren, Francisco, Luat, Parica and either Lining, Andam or Manolo.

voiceofreason
09-16-2013, 03:33 AM
More likely Boyes and Melling for Shaw

westcoast
09-16-2013, 06:33 AM
Any way you cut it, five of the final eight were Europeans! There's no disputing that fact. Yes, the American team you mention does look good on paper, but they have not all played that well in recent Mosconi Cups, succumbing to the pressure many times. I was a witness to that.

Johnny may be the best under pressure and Earl has the best overall record down through the years. Corey is playing the best he has in years, so that's a good thing. He was very shaky in his last two appearances in the Cup though. No question Rodney is a great player, but will the real Rodney show up this year and not that imposter we saw last time? You've got to put Shane on any American team, since he is our best player. He has had his good and bad moments in the Cup as well.

IMO it's all about who performs the best under pressure. We know these are all good players. The Europeans seem to have it on that count right now.

On another note, the best five man teams I ever saw (besides the early U.S. Mosconi Cup teams) were the filipinos in the heyday of Efren, Francisco, Luat, Parica and either Lining, Andam or Manolo.

It would be interesting if they did a Mosconi event that included the Philippines- this team would be very difficult for any team to beat- would probably be the favorites in the world: Orcollo, Corteza, Biado, Bustamante, and Alcano.

jhanso18
09-16-2013, 07:03 AM
It will be Earl, and either Hatch or Corey. I'd vote for Corey, but I'm guessing it will be Hatch.

For the record I think it SHOULD be Mike D. I think half the team shouldn't be there. The Mosconi cup loses more and more for me every year. Seems like it's just pointless. It's not real pool. It's a made for TV show. Races to 5, ridiculous means of picking the teams, and they don't even allow for an Asian representation.

Most of us can agree that a team made up of Dennis, Busty, Efren, Alex, Carlo, Parica, etc. would POUND either of the teams. not to mention KPY, HSU, or Can... Hell, you could just have an Asian version. Call it the Reyes cup. China/Tawain plays the Pinoys, and the winner plays the winner of the Mosconi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way I will still watch, just wish it was more legit, like the rest of pool...

best,

Justin

sjm
09-16-2013, 07:15 AM
It would be interesting if they did a Mosconi event that included the Philippines- this team would be very difficult for any team to beat- would probably be the favorites in the world: Orcollo, Corteza, Biado, Bustamante, and Alcano.

Orcullo, Corteza, Biado, Bustamante, and Pagulayan would be even stronger.

It is hard to imagine any team of five non-Fillipinos beating this group.

westcoast
09-16-2013, 07:51 AM

I agree. However, Alcano may be a better 9 ball player than ALex. Also, Alex is technically Canadian if I'm not mistaken

jay helfert
09-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Fuggeddaboutit :grin:

jay helfert
09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I agree. However, Alcano may be a better 9 ball player than ALex. Also, Alex is technically Canadian if I'm not mistaken

Alcano has sunk to second tier level in the Philippines. Some of the new kids are pounding on him these days.

PistolPat
10-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Alcano has sunk to second tier level in the Philippines. Some of the new kids are pounding on him these days.

Hey Jay where is Ronnie? Last i saw him he was at the last swanee and he said he was thinkin bout stayin in the US longer and makin LA area his home...but i heard same about New Jersey as well as Vegas....in any case where is he???

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2