PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my speed ?

Hustlin-Felice
09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi Guys, I decided to share with you my run of 8 ball.

I would like to hear what do you think about my game. If you see any mistakes or issues I'm open to read it all ;)

Please comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNt1WPmWzs

9ft Dynamic III pool table. ( Tight pockets )

bigshooter
09-17-2013, 09:31 AM
First of all good job on getting out.

Shot #1 - why not a simple follow shot trailing down to the end rail leaving a shot to the right hand corner for the second ball.

Shot #3 Left you straight in and near a rail forcing you to jack up and use an odd stroke.

Shot #4 Was long and straight with no angle but you did manage to create an angle.

Shot #5 Is the only shot in which you should have left yourself straight in on the next ball but you didn't. You used follow and ended up with an odd angle for the next shot into the side. A simple stop shot was your best option there for a natural straight in shot on your last stripe and then just another stop for the eight straight into the corner.

Shot # 6 A thin cut into the side with loads of inside english to get shape. Well executed but you shouldn't have to work that hard.

Don't get me wrong - your shot making ability looks good. I am just saying you made the run a lot harder than it had to be.

Straight ins with lots of funny english makes you look better to the novice. Proper speed and angles helping you avoid all that makes you look better to me. Just my opinion... mileage may vary.

Bella Don't Cry
09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Well you broke and run out - not much more to add to that.
ONLY...
Do that another 100 times in all competitions and we'll make a champion of you yet. :thumbup:

Hustlin-Felice
09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
First of all good job on getting out.

Shot #1 - why not a simple follow shot trailing down to the end rail leaving a shot to the right hand corner for the second ball.

Shot #3 Left you straight in and near a rail forcing you to jack up and use an odd stroke.

Shot #4 Was long and straight with no angle but you did manage to create an angle.

Shot #5 Is the only shot in which you should have left yourself straight in on the next ball but you didn't. You used follow and ended up with an odd angle for the next shot into the side. A simple stop shot was your best option there for a natural straight in shot on your last stripe and then just another stop for the eight straight into the corner.

Shot # 6 A thin cut into the side with loads of inside english to get shape. Well executed but you shouldn't have to work that hard.

Don't get me wrong - your shot making ability looks good. I am just saying you made the run a lot harder than it had to be.

Straight ins with lots of funny english makes you look better to the novice. Proper speed and angles helping you avoid all that makes you look better to me. Just my opinion... mileage may vary.

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate this ;)

I do agree that sometime I going fo funny/hard shots and sometime I manage to run out or just I missing which make me angry that I choose that shot.

Like with third shot I went too far with CB, and then I was forced to make masse shot or either jump shot. Because camera angle didn't catch that properly but half of the (8) ball was hiding (12). I choose masse, I manage but like with masse... you can't really control it, at least if you are not a Venom ;)

I also agree that with 5th shot I should play like you said, because SIMPLEST solutions are THE BEST ;)

Thank you guys.

I will definitely bring it to the table ;)

Thank you guys.

I will defenetly bring it to the table ;)

ScottK
09-18-2013, 01:45 AM
You're a D player, maybe D+.

CreeDo
09-18-2013, 07:37 AM
You seem to have pretty good fundamentals and can make some tough shots.
Mostly I see issues with decision making. That's good! Because it's pretty easy to fix.
Fixing a crooked stroke would be much tougher.

8 ball is about playing the safest, easiest pattern possible... something you cannot screw up.
Something where you cannot ever get hooked on any ball.
Look for 'connect the dots' where stop shots and soft follow will lead from one ball to the next.

Example: from your first shot, soft follow gets you perfect on the 12 ball but you chose hard follow to the side pocket shot.
If you get an angle into the rail on the 12, soft follow gets you to the same side pocket shot.

When you make the side pocket shot, you try to soft follow to the 12. That's good, BUT there's the risk
of getting hooked behind the 8 ball. You can remove that risk by just following all the way down
to the bottom rail (there is room to cheat the pocket so no worries about scratching).
Shooting from near that bottom rail would also leave a natural angle to get on the 11 with our friend soft follow.

Just remember - never ever ever risk getting hooked.
Soft follow and stop shots for as many shots as possible.
This creates a pattern you can't screw up.

Keep us updated on your progress. One other piece of advice... if you haven't gotten lessons yet,
and there's a good instructor within driving distance, try it. Wish I'd done that earlier in my pool career.

iusedtoberich
09-18-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm just a C player.... but the pattern I like is below. Note, I couldn't tell which ball is which, so I numbered them in the order I would shoot them. If you get straight in on the 2nd shot, the rest of the shots should be pretty much stop shots or just a few inches of CB movement on each shot.

ENGLISH!
09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Listen to Creedo.

And... I would not play in my socks unless you are going to do so when you go out to play. That my sound strange but the game really is from the ground up.

I have shoes that I will not play any serious pool if I'm wearing them.

I learned draw positioning 1st. & when I was 15 my very good playing uncle made the comment to my Dad that I used it too much (often). I started using follow more often later that same afternoon.

Good Luck & listen to Creedo & use more stop & small draw shots when advantageous, which they usually are.

Best Wishes,
Rick

Hustlin-Felice
09-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys a lot for that ;) I will record some more when I get my camcorder back :)

I will try to change my habitat, and use more stop and soft follow like you said ;)

Thnx one more time, I will definitely keep you updated ;)

voiceofreason
09-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Listen to Creedo.

And... I would not play in my socks unless you are going to do so when you go out to play. That my sound strange but the game really is from the ground up.

That was one of the first things I thought too. For similar reasons, I will not play pool, snooker or darts with a watch on and rarely if ever play in long sleeves.

Please do not underestimate the importance of this advice.

ScottK
09-19-2013, 01:57 AM
I learned draw positioning 1st. & when I was 15 my very good playing uncle made the comment to my Dad that I used it too much (often). I started using follow more often later that same afternoon.

We had a guy on my APA team back in 2004 who played low on the cue ball on every shot. I want to say he literally played draw on every shot, but that would be an exaggeration. It was probably 90-95% of his shots.

My captain and I took him to play one morning before playing in what most APA players would know as Tri-Cups (our LO calls it Challenge of Champions a far less ridiculous name) and told him, win or lose, he could stay on the table the whole morning. Our only condition was he had to play follow for position on every shot.

By that afternoon he understood the game much better.

Hustlin-Felice
09-19-2013, 02:53 AM
That was one of the first things I thought too. For similar reasons, I will not play pool, snooker or darts with a watch on and rarely if ever play in long sleeves.

Please do not underestimate the importance of this advice.

I know what do you mean guys ;) But is difficult to walk inside the house in shoes, specialy that I've got carpet in my pool room.

But yeah, when I got to the pool hall, I always wear proper shoes and t-shirt.

I also don't like to play with watch on, or either in long sleeves.

at time time I had 10 minutes so I played with what I had on ;)

dr_dave
09-19-2013, 06:24 AM

I would like to hear what do you think about my game. If you see any mistakes or issues I'm open to read it all ;)

Please comment.

9ft Dynamic III pool table. ( Tight pockets )Have you tried the BU playing-ability exams (http://billiarduniversity.org/exams.html) yet? They offer a complete pool workout and provide a fairly reliable measure of your overall playing speed (http://billiarduniversity.org/ratings.html). For more info, check out the BU thread (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321301). Please post your score and videos after you complete the exams.

Good luck,
Dave

JC
09-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Have you tried the BU playing-ability exams (http://billiarduniversity.org/exams.html) yet? They offer a complete pool workout and provide a fairly reliable measure of your overall playing speed (http://billiarduniversity.org/ratings.html). For more info, check out the BU thread (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321301). Please post your score and videos after you complete the exams.

Good luck,
Dave

I predict this player to be in the 90-95 range if he takes the time to do it.

But he won't which is why he's in that range.

JC

PoolSharkAllen
09-19-2013, 07:11 AM
If you see any mistakes or issues I'm open to read it all ;)

Please comment.

Some other suggestions:
- Your opening break could be improved upon. If you can disperse the balls better over the entire length of the table, you'll have fewer problems like clusters to deal with and you will have a better chance of running out the rack in one inning.

- If you'll walk around the table more often, you will get a better visual perspective on the shots that you need to execute. As an example, if you would have walked up to the 10-ball before shooting it, you might have seen that you have a relatively small window for the cue ball without getting hooked behind the 8.

Kickin' Chicken
09-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Please comment.

9ft Dynamic III pool table. ( Tight pockets )

hi Felice;

You have been getting some good advice thus far, imo.

I liked your break where you squatted the rock but the other, not as much. You have good power and good form. Concentrate on getting whitey to jump back a foot or so, every break.

You did make the rack harder than you needed to as was pointed out by others, starting with your not rolling soft with follow on the 1st shot in order to get shape to play the 9 next (sitting by the footrail).

2 shots later you could have avoided the risk of becoming partially blocked by simply following with the cue ball into the side then foot rails which would have you underneath the 8. You got hooked and recovered nicely though with the swerve shot.

your last object ball was left much harder than it had to be by playing the previous shot into the side with follow. You were dead straight on it and it called for a slightly jacked stop shot which would have left you straight in on your last ball. Again, you recovered with a nice side pocket cut with shape on the 8 for the runout. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

APA Gene
09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Here's my opinion. The good first:

1) You chose the correct category of balls to run out

2) I like that you identified your 3 tough balls and took care of them early on when you would still have options if you didn't get the correct shape

Here's how I saw the rack after the break-

15 in the corner, 12? (the ball just off the short rail left of the 8-ball) in the corner where the 8 is, 9 in the side, 11 in the opposite side, 13 in the corner, 14 stop shot in the side, 10 in the corner trickle forward and slightly to the rail then 8 in the upper left corner. Employing this pattern involves more stop shots and less cue ball movement. It also clears the table by area while still clearing the trouble balls early and setting up a pretty simple shot on the 8-ball. The 10 is not the best key ball but the 14 is such a good key ball to the key ball that it really makes it a cinch.

Ron Swanson
09-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I predict this player to be in the 90-95 range if he takes the time to do it.

But he won't which is why he's in that range.

JC

Erm, what??

Ron Swanson
09-19-2013, 01:39 PM
These threads are pointless without some indication of how long you've been playing. If you're quite new to the game, you'll go on to be a fine player, probably. If you've been banging balls around like this for years, time for a rethink.

gxman
09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
try running 10 racks of 10b against the ghost with the scoring system on the BU website.

michael4
09-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Please comment.

good break because the table was wide open
shotmaking better than pattern play
the second ball you made needed to be cleared early, and you did that, hopefully by design

prad
09-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Do you always play "slow" ? or you were just taking more time than usual cuz you posted your video here ? I think for people to judge your real "speed" you have to play the game in your normal pace. Something tells me that you were taking extra time to shoot balls in cuz you were going to upload the video. I might be wrong though.

ScottK
09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Do you always play "slow" ? or you were just taking more time than usual cuz you posted your video here ? I think for people to judge your real "speed" you have to play the game in your normal pace. Something tells me that you were taking extra time to shoot balls in cuz you were going to upload the video. I might be wrong though.

I think you misunderstand the term "speed."

He broke at the :25 mark
First shot - :57 (32 seconds elapsed)
Second - 1:16 (19sec)
Third - 1:34 (18 sec)
Fourth - 1:53 (19 sec)
Fifth - 2:31 (38 sec - he looked at the possibility of another shot)
Sixth - 2:47 (16 sec)
Seventh - 3:11 (24 sec)
Eighth - 3:29 (18 sec)

And that was all while making a couple of bad choices, a few position errors, and a swerve shot.
How much faster do you want him to go?

gxman
09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
the video was edited some so it wouldn't last as long.

ScottK
09-19-2013, 10:28 PM
the video was edited some so it wouldn't last as long.

I hadn't noticed when I watched it, but it was sped up once - after the swerve shot (the twelve I believe) and prior to the shot on the thirteen. There were two other points you MIGHT be able to make an argument it could have been edited, but based on the reflections on the table it doesn't appear to have been. Even the section of the video that was sped up only seems to have been a few seconds... though that does seem odd.

I'm no video pro, but that's how it looks to me.

And even if it had been edited between each shot you can't make a solid case that he shoots too slowly, you can only make that assumption, because you don't know how much has been edited out.

Hustlin-Felice
04-13-2014, 05:48 AM
I wanna refresh this thread by updating video. What do you think now about my game ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtugOIsnVk8&index=16&list=PLVq2RgzxyZhf3Z2fjVDVCgbcTc2fZJwKU

x3dnd3x
04-13-2014, 06:22 AM
What happen to your hair? :D

Hustlin-Felice
04-13-2014, 06:46 AM
What happen to your hair? :D

hahaha good question ;)) Someone took them away from me :grin:

Tony_in_MD
04-13-2014, 06:59 AM
I am trying to figure out how you disappear a few times in the video. That is a nice trick, I wish I could do that sometimes.;)

Hustlin-Felice
04-13-2014, 07:25 AM
I am trying to figure out how you disappear a few times in the video. That is a nice trick, I wish I could do that sometimes.;)

I cut some time during video editing. A time which i spend to think, or to aim. I finding it boring to watch someone who's thinking instead of action.
Of course I can upload the whole run out without cutting, I still have it on driver ;):grin-square:

Tony_in_MD
04-13-2014, 07:30 AM
You can speed up the replay between shots too. I think that is a better option then cutting out content.

I cut some time during video editing. A time which i spend to think, or to aim. I finding it boring to watch someone who's thinking instead of action.
Of course I can upload the whole run out without cutting, I still have it on driver ;):grin-square:

Hustlin-Felice
04-13-2014, 09:23 AM
You can speed up the replay between shots too. I think that is a better option then cutting out content.

Well, I did what I did. But this is not quite the matter, as you can see balls weren't moved ;) it's more about how you play, not how you editing ;)))

Push&Pool
04-13-2014, 09:48 AM
You seem to have pretty good fundamentals and can make some tough shots.
Mostly I see issues with decision making. That's good! Because it's pretty easy to fix.
Fixing a crooked stroke would be much tougher.

8 ball is about playing the safest, easiest pattern possible... something you cannot screw up.
Something where you cannot ever get hooked on any ball.
Look for 'connect the dots' where stop shots and soft follow will lead from one ball to the next.

Example: from your first shot, soft follow gets you perfect on the 12 ball but you chose hard follow to the side pocket shot.
If you get an angle into the rail on the 12, soft follow gets you to the same side pocket shot.

When you make the side pocket shot, you try to soft follow to the 12. That's good, BUT there's the risk
of getting hooked behind the 8 ball. You can remove that risk by just following all the way down
to the bottom rail (there is room to cheat the pocket so no worries about scratching).
Shooting from near that bottom rail would also leave a natural angle to get on the 11 with our friend soft follow.

Just remember - never ever ever risk getting hooked.
Soft follow and stop shots for as many shots as possible.
This creates a pattern you can't screw up.

Keep us updated on your progress. One other piece of advice... if you haven't gotten lessons yet,
and there's a good instructor within driving distance, try it. Wish I'd done that earlier in my pool career.

That's also my problem. I have a tendency to risk position in order to safely pocket something, so I end up getting hooked. And when I try too hard to get as much position as I can for the next shot, I sometimes end up missing a straight shot in. I try to balance between pocket and position, which often gets tricky, but somehow things mostly turn out fine in the end. If I lose, it's usually after I get to the 8, when I either make a mistake while aiming for my last pocket or when my opponent successfully performs a difficult shot despite low odds.

JC
04-13-2014, 10:16 AM
I believe you will learn a lot more from this forum by uploading a few of the countless dozens of unsuccessful run outs you also captured on video getting to the "good" one.

We can learn from our failures way more than our successes.

JC

j_zippel
04-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I believe you will learn a lot more from this forum by uploading a few of the countless dozens of unsuccessful run outs you also captured on video getting to the "good" one.

We can learn from our failures way more than our successes.

JC

exactly! Record 5 racks in a row, 1 take and let the dissection begin! :)

MSchaffer
04-13-2014, 11:11 AM
+1 for 5 consecutive racks....and it would be nice if you left out the music and editing.

tim913
04-13-2014, 02:26 PM
It appears to me that you are playing one ball ahead, and then figuring out what to do to get to the next ball, and so on. This seems to be the extent of a lot of position play I see today. You should be trying to get position on the ANGLE to the next ball that will get you to the ANGLE of the next ball, and so on. This will force you to always play a few balls ahead, and not have to use a lot of fancy stuff on the cue ball to do so.

Rasputin
04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
You broke three times... that must be a foul, no?

And by the music I would rate you a D (-bag).

Sorry. Seriously, as the others said, you might want to work on your pattern decisions. But well done however.

BJTyler
04-13-2014, 03:54 PM
It seems as if the video was blocked due to music copyright issues?