PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Last Night

Ken_4fun
09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Ill admit, I am not a fan of straight pool. But Inside Pool was streaming and it was free and what the heck, Ill watch if for a while.

The first match was Corey Duel and Mike Dischane. I hade seen Corey play many times, and most recently some great one pocket matches on Youtube, and some commentary with Billy I.

To me neither played what I perceived as "classic 14.1", they played more like "break them all out and run them off the table" style. In the 14.1 matches I had seen in the past they try to break one or two from the group at a time. I actually made the comment in the chat as it seemed like it was being played like the new "Power One Pocket" verses the old style of one pocket.

In the next match, Johnny Archer and Florida Bob played. Again, I had heard and seen Johnny before but never seen or heard of Bob. One great thing last night Blackjack was in the chat and was excellent for comments, and shot selection. He seemed like he was right EVERY time. (I learned because of it).

However in this match Florida Bob DID play the classic style and looked stronger than Johnny, but some untimely errors were enough to allow Johnny to win.

The next match was Charlie Williams and Corey Duel. Honestly I haven't seen Charlie play much so I was anxious to see him play.

OMG, if anyone doesn't understand why pool isn't on TV, they should watch this match. Charlie Williams makes Strong Arm John look like he is on speed. I watched for probably 15 minutes and I couldn't stand it anymore and shut it off.

For you 14.1 fans, take this the way I mean it. The commentary mentioned putting Charlie on a 2 minute shot clock. I am thinking 15-30 second would be more than enough.

Sure there is a tough shot OCCASSIONALLY that will cause a need for a player to get up and maybe walk around the table. But Charlie Williams did it EVERY shot!

The standing joke about one pocket is how slow it is. Compared to 14.1 it looks like speed pool.

One other thing, that Florida Bob guy plays at a great pace, is a great player and a pleasure to watch. Of all of the players I watched, he certainly presented the game in an enjoyable manner.

Best of rolls,

Ken

AtLarge
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
... The standing joke about one pocket is how slow it is. Compared to 14.1 it looks like speed pool.

One other thing, that Florida Bob guy plays at a great pace, is a great player and a pleasure to watch. Of all of the players I watched, he certainly presented the game in an enjoyable manner. ...

Ken, if you haven't yet watched the final match (Hohmann def. Archer), you might enjoy it (it's on YouTube). Both players played with a good pace. 261 points in 110 minutes. That's 2.4 points per minute or about 25 seconds per point (including racking and scoring).

Hohmann generally plays 14.1 at a quick pace, as do Immonen, Ortmann, and Schmidt -- and those are four of the very finest 14.1 players.

StraightPoolIU
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Most good 14.1 players do play at a fairly quick pace especially after they get into a run because it is such a rhythm game. Charlie is a notoriously slow player so I wouldn't necessarily think it's fair to blame 14.1 for that instead of Charlie. You should see Schmidt play 14.1 sometime. He can get going so fast on occasion you'd think his hair was on fire.

Tony_in_MD
09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Yes Dave Daya played fast and it was said that mosconi did too

Charlie plays all games slow.

Most good 14.1 players do play at a fairly quick pace especially after they get into a run because it is such a rhythm game. Charlie is a notoriously slow player so I wouldn't necessarily think it's fair to blame 14.1 for that instead of Charlie. You should see Schmidt play 14.1 sometime. He can get going so fast on occasion you'd think his hair was on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ken_4fun
09-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Watching the finals now.

Archer does play a lot faster and it is more enjoyable to watch.

Ken

sonny_burnett
09-17-2013, 01:42 PM
I sure do miss " fast and loose".
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jhanso18
09-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Watching the finals now.

Archer does play a lot faster and it is more enjoyable to watch.

Ken

I was thinking a lot of the same thing you were. Really fun to watch actually.

LuckyStroke
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Ken, if you haven't yet watched the final match (Hohmann def. Archer), you might enjoy it (it's on YouTube). Both players played with a good pace. 261 points in 110 minutes. That's 2.4 points per minute or about 25 seconds per point (including racking and scoring).

Hohmann generally plays 14.1 at a quick pace, as do Immonen, Ortmann, and Schmidt -- and those are four of the very finest 14.1 players.

Thorsten looks so natural playing 14.1 it inspired me to play. It's a very tough game but is very exciting when you start to string racks together. My high run is 32, and the only reason I got that is because I stopped counting lol. Enjoy the match

AtLarge
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
... Charlie plays all games slow. ...

I've seen Charlie Williams play slow and win against top guys many times. Slow seems to be rather normal for him now. But I've also seen him play almost Salvas speed and win against top guys. Several years ago, I asked Charlie about the enormous variation in the pace of his play, i.e., whether he did it to sort of "influence" the opponent. He just kind of smiled.

NYC cue dude
09-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Ill admit, I am not a fan of straight pool. But Inside Pool was streaming and it was free and what the heck, Ill watch if for a while.

The first match was Corey Duel and Mike Dischane. I hade seen Corey play many times, and most recently some great one pocket matches on Youtube, and some commentary with Billy I.

To me neither played what I perceived as "classic 14.1", they played more like "break them all out and run them off the table" style. In the 14.1 matches I had seen in the past they try to break one or two from the group at a time. I actually made the comment in the chat as it seemed like it was being played like the new "Power One Pocket" verses the old style of one pocket.

In the next match, Johnny Archer and Florida Bob played. Again, I had heard and seen Johnny before but never seen or heard of Bob. One great thing last night Blackjack was in the chat and was excellent for comments, and shot selection. He seemed like he was right EVERY time. (I learned because of it).

However in this match Florida Bob DID play the classic style and looked stronger than Johnny, but some untimely errors were enough to allow Johnny to win.

The next match was Charlie Williams and Corey Duel. Honestly I haven't seen Charlie play much so I was anxious to see him play.

OMG, if anyone doesn't understand why pool isn't on TV, they should watch this match. Charlie Williams makes Strong Arm John look like he is on speed. I watched for probably 15 minutes and I couldn't stand it anymore and shut it off.

For you 14.1 fans, take this the way I mean it. The commentary mentioned putting Charlie on a 2 minute shot clock. I am thinking 15-30 second would be more than enough.

Sure there is a tough shot OCCASSIONALLY that will cause a need for a player to get up and maybe walk around the table. But Charlie Williams did it EVERY shot!

The standing joke about one pocket is how slow it is. Compared to 14.1 it looks like speed pool.

One other thing, that Florida Bob guy plays at a great pace, is a great player and a pleasure to watch. Of all of the players I watched, he certainly presented the game in an enjoyable manner.

Best of rolls,

Ken

NyQuil Cup. Corey and Charlie were both excruciatingly slow. Ralph was unhappy with Charlie's play. Enough that he roasted him during his match with Thorsten. Even timing him with a stop watch, lol. Thorsten solved Charlie by not allowing him out of the chair.

Johnny has really picked up his pace over the last 2 years. He no longer spends half his time grooming the table and getting up and down from shots. He was torture to watch for a few years.

Thorsten is methodical, practicing precision, focus and discipline. When he falls into rhythm, he shoots quickly, only slowing down to solve complications. A real monster in this genre.

BobTfromIL
09-18-2013, 05:31 AM
If you'd like to see what 14.1 is like with a shot clock pick up one of the Accu-Stats
dvds of their recent Make it Happen event (when available). I thought it was much more enjoyable to watch than someone looking at the table for what seems like forever. I doubt very much that guys at that level are having a hard time deciding what to do.

Tobermory
09-18-2013, 08:03 AM
The problem with pool and time limits is that every now and then a situation does arise in which a player has to take a few minutes and work out the entire risk/reward equation. My recollection of the old days of straight pool tournaments was that participants played for the most part fairly fluidly, but then some situation would arise in which one really had to put on the brakes and figure out what he was going to do, and that could on occasion take several minutes.

I stopped in a poolroom in upstate New York some years ago and found on their bulletin board a list of rules for a straight pool league, and I think they had actually been compiled by Art (Babe) Cranfield, who lived in the area. I think one of the rules was that you had twenty seconds (!) to shoot.

When people talk about the old-time players like Caras, Mosconi, Balsis, Crane, Rempe, et al., and what they did in their exhibitionsm, they sometimes forget that those men made the game into an entertainment for the spectators. They sailed through racks, not at a Lou Butera speed but with a tempo that didn't let the audience lose interest.