PDA

View Full Version : Pool league

crappiecrazy
01-11-2014, 07:56 AM
What is a pool league? (basic info)

Maniac
01-11-2014, 08:09 AM

It generally is a team-conceptual night out with friends/family members where a few drinks are downed...conversation is shared...camaraderie is born...and a little pool is played :wink:!!!

That too basic??? :)

Maniac

ctyhntr
01-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Organized pool matches where players or teams play on a schedule. At the end of the season there may playoffs to determine final winners in the league.

j_zippel
01-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Troll much?

Maniac
01-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Troll much?

From reading his other thread(s)...this guy's not a troll...just a newbie.

Maniac

ctyhntr
01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Trolling is a growing issue here. What makes you think the OP is a troll or sock puppet?

j_zippel
01-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Trolling is a growing issue here. What makes you think the OP is a troll or sock puppet?

Just the fact that anything you put infront of "league" is typically known..

ie) baseball leage, football league, basketball league, hockey league... even Dart league, I donno...

lol... sock puppet, makes me think of Conky from the trailer park boys show

crappiecrazy
01-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Trolling? No I guess you might call them dumb questions though. I do like to "troll" for crappies/croppie/white perch/specks/sac-a-lait. Very tasty fish!

j_zippel
01-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Trolling? No I guess you might call them dumb questions though. I do like to "troll" for crappies/croppie/white perch/specks/sac-a-lait. Very tasty fish!

Oh yeah, White perch are tasty little morsels

crappiecrazy
01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
It generally is a team-conceptual night out with friends/family members where a few drinks are downed...conversation is shared...camaraderie is born...and a little pool is played :wink:!!!

That too basic??? :)

Maniac

Thanks! Good info!

crappiecrazy
01-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Organized pool matches where players or teams play on a schedule. At the end of the season there may playoffs to determine final winners in the league.

Thanks for the good info!

crappiecrazy
01-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Just the fact that anything you put infront of "league" is typically known..

ie) baseball leage, football league, basketball league, hockey league... even Dart league, I donno...

lol... sock puppet, makes me think of Conky from the trailer park boys show

The reason I don't know much about these types of "leagues" is because I never was interested in sports much other than hunting, fishing and playing pool. Jocko and Horace's pool room never had any leagues. They had "one-eyed Condit Bonta, Roundbelly (rack man), and several other characters.

cuesblues
01-11-2014, 08:54 AM

In the 70's I started hearing about pool leagues and thought it was some kind of a joke.
I didn't think your question was "dumb" or "trolling", and if you kidding around that's cool, but it's hard to imagine a pool player in this day & age that doesn't know what a pool league is.
As a fisherman however, I liked your response.
January in Colorado might be a good time to shop for a fishing boat>>:smile:

The difference between a pool league and a dart league is that in a dart league you might get a bar tab if you win.

j_zippel
01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
The reason I don't know much about these types of "leagues" is because I never was interested in sports much other than hunting, fishing and playing pool. Jocko and Horace's pool room never had any leagues. They had "one-eyed Condit Bonta, Roundbelly (rack man), and several other characters.

fair enough, makes sense

Donny Lutz
01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
In the 70's I started hearing about pool leagues and thought it was some kind of a joke.
I didn't think your question was "dumb" or "trolling", and if you kidding around that's cool, but it's hard to imagine a pool player in this day & age that doesn't know what a pool league is.
As a fisherman however, I liked your response.
January in Colorado might be a good time to shop for a fishing boat>>:smile:

The difference between a pool league and a dart league is that in a dart league you might get a bar tab if you win.

While there were a few pool leagues long ago, the "era" of league pool began in the late 1950s in Milwaukee with the National Pocket Billiard Association.

The pool leagues were following the example of bowling leagues that were very successful back than.

cuesblues
01-11-2014, 10:43 AM
While there were a few pool leagues long ago, the "era" of league pool began in the late 1950s in Milwaukee with the National Pocket Billiard Association.

The pool leagues were following the example of bowling leagues that were very successful back than.

Really, the 50's, no shit?

I'm playing on 3-teams and I really don't even enjoy league that much.
People ask me to play, I get flattered and say yes, then I wonder WTF I'm doing there.
Now I've inherited the captain's position on an APA team, and what a pain in the ass that is.
Last night by the time I actually played pool, after all of the scorekeeping, dealing with money, paperwork, skill level issues, I was jumpy, and missing shots I never miss.

ctyhntr
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
From my limited experience at league pool, APA has by far the most paperwork compared to other leagues. To play APA 9-ball properly I think you need two people, 1 play and other score

justadub
01-11-2014, 11:56 AM
From my limited experience at league pool, APA has by far the most paperwork compared to other leagues. To play APA 9-ball properly I think you need two people, 1 play and other score

I can play APA 8-ball and score my match, and it doesn't distract me or bother me.

It is difficult to score your own 9-ball match and keep your head in the game properly. I can do it, but I'd rather not. Fortunately, it is a rare circumstance for me.

logical
01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
A league, as in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", is a distance (not depth) of a little under 3 miles, which takes an average 70 year old about 2 hours to walk. So a pool league is a group of 70 year olds who take about 2 hours to play 15 minutes worth of pool....and then theres a thing with handicaps which I don't understand but I can only imagine it must slow them down some depending on the severity of the injury/affliction.

RunOut Apps
01-11-2014, 01:23 PM
This now makes pool league simple to score and administer. Innovative Scoring can be found at: http://runoutapps.com/

http://vimeo.com/78388124

ctyhntr
01-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Same here, no problems playing and scoring my own APA 8-ball match. I also have the problem with teammates that go out of their way to avoid scoring for 9-ball. :-(

I can play APA 8-ball and score my match, and it doesn't distract me or bother me.

It is difficult to score your own 9-ball match and keep your head in the game properly. I can do it, but I'd rather not. Fortunately, it is a rare circumstance for me.

lorider
01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
welli gotta admit when i 1st joined apa i refused to keep score. when some one asked i told them i did not know how and that was the truth.

when i went to my 1st singles regionals the players had to keep scores until you reached the finals. that meant i had to rely on my opponent to keep score and it really made me uneasy wondering if he would screw me somehow. i made up my mind to learn how to keep score after that.

now i am a captain and keep score a lot of times but i do pass the duty around to all my teamates . if any one refuses ...well they ain't gonna be a teamate for long.:wink:

Donny Lutz
01-12-2014, 07:35 AM
A league, as in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", is a distance (not depth) of a little under 3 miles, which takes an average 70 year old about 2 hours to walk. So a pool league is a group of 70 year olds who take about 2 hours to play 15 minutes worth of pool....and then theres a thing with handicaps which I don't understand but I can only imagine it must slow them down some depending on the severity of the injury/affliction.

What do you like less, league play or 70-year-olds? I'm 71, and it doesn't take me 2 hours to play "fifteen minutes" worth of pool. You might even have a little more respect for 70-year-olds after playing me...

You may be surprised to learn that close to a million people play in pool leagues in the US, and they are men and women of all ages and skill levels, and a number of Hall of Fame players played in pool leagues.

cuesblues
01-12-2014, 07:59 AM
as in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", is a distance (not depth) of a little under 3 miles, which takes an average 70 year old about 2 hours to walk. So a pool league is a group of 70 year olds who take about 2 hours to play 15 minutes worth of pool....and then theres a thing with handicaps which I don't understand but I can only imagine it must slow them down some depending on the severity of the injury/affliction.

What were you doing playing in the grandma's only division of the APA?
Last year I was playing quite a bit at a retirement center, and when these women would come in with their walkers, the first thing I always said was "you got the 7".
The 7 and the break if they were riding a Hoveround.
Your skill level could rise artificially in this division, so you may have to sandbag a little.

ctyhntr
01-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, one team member claims he would score but makes the excuse of leaving his reading glasses at home.

So, this is my solution to his excuse. :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Light-Hand-Reading-Magnifier/dp/B005E43I7O/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

The 2nd team mate shows up late, and is not even sure of renewing for this season. His wife is expecting in February. Last week he notified me day of the match. If he doesn't show up this week, I'm going suggest to the other teammates we add drop him so he can concentrate on his life, and draft another player.

If it were not for leagues, I believe many poolhalls would close.

welli gotta admit when i 1st joined apa i refused to keep score. when some one asked i told them i did not know how and that was the truth.

when i went to my 1st singles regionals the players had to keep scores until you reached the finals. that meant i had to rely on my opponent to keep score and it really made me uneasy wondering if he would screw me somehow. i made up my mind to learn how to keep score after that.

now i am a captain and keep score a lot of times but i do pass the duty around to all my teamates . if any one refuses ...well they ain't gonna be a teamate for long.:wink:

justadub
01-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately for me, the manager in me comes out too much. I have teammates that I don't want keeping score :)

The good thing is that we have 4 people on the 9-ball team that can score properly, so we're good. My new 8-ball team (I just kinda blew up the old one last week, sigh) will have at least 6 people that can score well.