PDA

View Full Version : pool days may be over

cueball1950
01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
just wanted to let everybody know that my pool days may be over. I had a right side brain stem stroke a month ago. lost 50% of the strength and feeling in my whole left side. Doctors do not know if i will ever get it back....and i am a lefty to boot....just keep doing what i am told to and hope for the best, hard to type right handed..no sympathy please.........mike

ga9ball
01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Hope you get well soon! Keep the faith

dukeboy1977
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Oh Mike, that sucks bro! Have faith, what is supposed to be will be. Stay strong man, it all works out :thumbup:

FairladyZ
01-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Godspeed my friend!! I'm told the best way to recover from a stroke is to get back into physical activity as soon as you're able. Don't overdo it, but don't sit idle either. If you can walk, get up and play. Pool is a wonderful activity for developing motor skills and hand/eye coordination. Of course do everything your doctor advises, but if possible, get up and play. You may never be as good as you were, but you know what? That's perfectly ok!! :) Best wishes!

sjm
01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Wishing you the strength and the conviction to weather this storm in your life, Mike.

pwd72s
01-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Godspeed my friend!! I'm told the best way to recover from a stroke is to get back into physical activity as soon as you're able. Don't overdo it, but don't sit idle either. If you can walk, get up and play. Pool is a wonderful activity for developing motor skills and hand/eye coordination. Of course do everything your doctor advises, but if possible, get up and play. You may never be as good as you were, but you know what? That's perfectly ok!! :) Best wishes!

Said so well that I can do nothing but agree. :)

Black-Balled
01-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for choosing to share with us. Please know we are all by your side.

SC02GTP
01-11-2014, 07:56 PM
The human body's ability to heal is amazing and Dr.'s don't know everything. Have faith and work hard, you will be rewarded! I wish you a super speedy full recovery.

Johnnyt
01-11-2014, 08:27 PM
just wanted to let everybody know that my pool days may be over. I had a right side brain stem stroke a month ago. lost 50% of the strength and feeling in my whole left side. Doctors do not know if i will ever get it back....and i am a lefty to boot....just keep doing what i am told to and hope for the best, hard to type right handed..no sympathy please.........mike

Very sorry to here about your stroke. I've had a few and after the first one I couldn't move any of my arms or legs. I was one of the lucky ones as after 2 days I started to be able the move my right side and in about three weeks I was walking on my own. Now I play pool 3-4 hours a day on my home table. Only things that didn't come back are brain related like I used to jump out of planes and mountain climb. Now I would have to call 911 to get me off a 20' roof. I've had a lot of other changes like crying watching a sad movie. Before the strokes I never cried over anything. My wife says I'm a much better person now.

Hang in there and never give up. I know rehab if tough, but in the end it will be worth it. Johnnyt

clydeNbonnie
01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I wish u the best. Hope u get back to normal as quickly as possible.

JoeyA
01-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Mike,

Don't know how much you can recover but the brain has some amazing powers.

Stay on the forum, keep us up to date on your improving progress. Positive thoughts headed your way. Chin up.

JoeyA

Tennesseejoe
01-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Our thoughts are for your recovery...

westcoast
01-11-2014, 10:34 PM
there is tremendous plasticity in the human brain, even late in life. Best wishes in your recovery!

Roger Long
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM
I will be praying for you.

Roger

mosconiac
01-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Good luck in your recovery.

Let's hope your post inspires others to take advantage of the health they have, not wish they had once it's too late. The forecast looks to be 43 degrees tomorrow, so I think I'll get out & go for a walk with my daughter.

Shooter08
01-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Hang in there and do everything you can within your power to improve your quality of life. Staying positive as hard as it seems will help in the long run. Good things seem to happen to good people and based on your I trader, I have to believe you are a good person. Any time I hear about situations like this I think of the Rutgers football player that was paralyzed the year before he was gonna become a NFL player. He now is making a much bigger difference in the real world than he would of ever done on the NFL field. In the words of Jimmy V 'Don't ever give up!

franko
01-11-2014, 11:16 PM
I have a feeling that you will be playing again sooner rather the later.I will pray you have a speedy recovery.

JAM
01-12-2014, 12:01 AM

Mike, I am so sorry you are going through this. I pray that you get through it and recover fully.

We sure have had fun on the Joss tournamnt trail, Mike. I hope to see you again this year. We're going to try to head up there to Turning Stone once more. Love that place, and Keith and I both love you.

Here's a cute shot taken at the old Quincy, Mass pool room. There's you, Keith, Ray, and in the background, I see a portion of Donut Man's head and Milkshake Mikey. :grin-square: What a crew we are! :)

jay helfert
01-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Duplicate post

jay helfert
01-12-2014, 12:14 AM

Mike, you're one of the good guys and I'm glad I got to know you thru AZ. Sorry to hear you're suffering, maybe a little weed will help. Seems it's made to order for stuff like this, and you might even enjoy it. ;)

You may be down but you are damn sure not out!

Paul Schofield
01-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Mike, There are many ways to stay close without playing. I have found those ways far more rewarding. I quit playing in my early 20s ( I am now 60) only to hone my interest to the highest level: spreading the good word about a tremendous sport. I wish you a speedy recovery.

SCCues
01-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Mike, I wish you the best. My brother in law is in the hospital right now trying to recover from the same thing. He's making progress and one of the best things you can do is to stay positive. Keep the faith and things will work out.

Buckzapper
01-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Mike,
You and I attended Troy High together & played pool at Charlie Terry's. You also taught me 3 cushion at Pete's.
Hang in there Mike.

TX Poolnut
01-12-2014, 06:09 AM
I hope your doctors outdo themselves. Here's to a long, prosperous life with or without billiards. Cheers!

Kickin' Chicken
01-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Mike;

*Nothing* is impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZtYALqIrE

Wishing you a full recovery, sir.

best,
brian kc

Petros Andrikop
01-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Best wishes for your recovery, hang on to physiotherapy.
Petros

doitforthegame
01-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Dude...fight. I personally know someone ;) that was told by his oncologist that his chances were 1 in 1000 that he would survive 14 years with the cancer he had. Plus he has brought back from flat-lines three times. I would bet you are a guy that never backed down from a fight. Don't do it now.

Bob

rayjay
01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Many, many new advances in stroke and neuro rehab. Nothing's lost until you give up...don't give up. There's a "layman's" book out called The Brain That Heals Itself that talks about the amazing new rehab programs some facilities are using, just amazing. You owe it to yourself to check it out. Good luck!