PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Size??????????

ProZack
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I have recently bought a 9ft Brunswick Wellington. I am putting new rails and Simonis 860 tournament blue felt. I want the table to play tight. What is the size of standard pockets? And what is a good recommendation to get them shimmed to?

Please don't tell me its not good to shim the table.... I'm an A player and can hit the center of the pocket.....

stix_n_stones
01-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Shimming the pockets has nothing to do with ability, it's just not the proper way to tighten the pockets on a table. Extending the subrails and using standard size pocket facings is the right way to go if you want the table to play really good.

I started a thread a while back and did exactly what you want to do. This was on a Brunswick Ventura. Here's a link to my old thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=161597

kaylaemarx
01-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Rails and pockets can vary significantly from one manufacturer to the next. The side pockets are usually larger than the corner pockets, especially on larger tables.

Black-Balled
01-12-2014, 08:43 AM
The way that slate is cut makes it tuff to tighten it, really. The mouth of the pocket is really far forward and the angle cutaway was like a vacuum, on mine.

I have a set of pocket reducers that I used on my Wellington. If you aren't already committing to replacing your rubber, they would be a far easier and cost effective way to close those mouths.

If you are replacing the rubber, the proper way is to extend the sub rails is by adding wood to the area the rubber glues to, elbowing the use of longer rubber.
That gets pretty expensive unless it is a DIY.

I know lots of tables that use multiple shims, that is not an awful solution. Better than those buckets anyway.

ProZack
01-12-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm getting the rails replaced too. Can't they just extend the rails? Do you have pics of your table? If so can you send them to me at 601_671_1170?

Mr. Bond
01-12-2014, 09:16 AM
IT'S A WELLINGTON! LOL.

If not anyone else, blackballed will get the joke.

Black-Balled
01-12-2014, 09:25 AM
IT'S A WELLINGTON! LOL.

If not anyone else, blackballed will get the joke.

It is always a Wellington.

And re the pics of mine, I gave it to an Azbro - roy vadas- who refinished it, but I cannot find the thread he created.

I replaced it wit a gold crown.

JC
01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Please don't tell me its not good to shim the table.... I'm an A player and can hit the center of the pocket.....

You're correct that the pocket facing material and angle makes no difference if you hit the center of the pocket. Unfortunately only a small percentage of shots will go into the pocket without hitting the facing. Once you get an angle of any kind the facing must be hit to pocket a ball. This is when it matters and that's most of the time.

JC

TATE
01-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I have recently bought a 9ft Brunswick Wellington. I am putting new rails and Simonis 860 tournament blue felt. I want the table to play tight. What is the size of standard pockets? And what is a good recommendation to get them shimmed to?

4.5" corners seem to be the current norm for an honest corner pocket, 4.25 are fairly tight and 4" is very tight.

For sides, 5" is tight and I wouldn't go any smaller than that for sure.