PDA

View Full Version : Pool Gameshow Idea

BeiberLvr
01-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Okay, this idea just came to me, and it's not perfect. I still haven't ironed out all the details, so the majority of this post will be rambling. If you can somehow make it through all of it, I'd love to get some feedback.

This is a show for pool fans, not just to watch, but to be involved on the show as well. I figure contestants would have to audition, and then would be picked if they meet all the criteria. Some of the criteria would include a passion for pool, a decent playing ability, and personality.

The contestant would have a chance at winning $30,000, and ultimately $60,000.

There would be 3 categories, Trick Shots, 9ball Patterns, and 8ball patterns. Each category would have 5 levels. The value of completing each level will go up as such:

$500.00
$1,000.00
$1,500.00
$2,000.00
$5,000.00

And each subsequent level will be more difficult than the last. The contestant must complete each level in order, but is allowed to switch between categories. Each contestant will have two opportunities to complete a level, but the prize money cuts in half for that level if they take their second chance. Contestant is allowed to leave at anytime with the prize money already awarded. If they choose to move on to the next level, and don't complete it, then they walk away with nothing. Obviously, there could be something like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, where they could be guaranteed prize amounts. Like at $1,000 $5,000 $10,000, etc.

Description of each category:

Trick Shots - Contestant will be shown a trick shot (perhaps performed by a pro backstage or on pre-recorded video), and then the contestant must set up the shot and replicate it themselves. The shots would start off a bit simple at first. Some dead shots that simply require a proper set up, but would get more difficult to include masse, stroke, or jump shots.

9ball/8ball Patterns - Contestant will be a given a layout for 9ball or 8ball, and then must run out that pattern with ball in hand. For 8ball, they are allowed to choose stripes or solids.

If a contestant manages to get through all 15 levels, they will then be given two choices.

1. Keep the money and walk away. If they got through all the levels on their first try, then that would be $30,000

2. Or...put it all on the line against a pro (waiting backstage) in one game of either 8ball or 9ball. Contestant's choice, and they would get the break. If the contestant loses, then they get nothing, and the pro wins the money.

I think there would be a lot of pool fans interested in competing in a game show like this. I also think there would be some pros that would be on as well. After all, for them, it's a freeroll at winning some decent cash. With the right host and right set up, it could also be popular among regular folk and ignite some interest in pool. There are two facts about the general public when it comes to game shows like this. They love to see people win money, but they also love to see them put in situations where they could lose it all based on the choices they make.

Thanks for reading!

Luxury
01-13-2014, 01:17 AM
I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Bella Don't Cry
01-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Okay, this idea just came to me, and it's not perfect. I still haven't ironed out all the details, so the majority of this post will be rambling. If you can somehow make it through all of it, I'd love to get some feedback.

This is a show for pool fans, not just to watch, but to be involved on the show as well. I figure contestants would have to audition, and then would be picked if they meet all the criteria. Some of the criteria would include a passion for pool, a decent playing ability, and personality.

The contestant would have a chance at winning $30,000, and ultimately $60,000.

There would be 3 categories, Trick Shots, 9ball Patterns, and 8ball patterns. Each category would have 5 levels. The value of completing each level will go up as such:

$500.00
$1,000.00
$1,500.00
$2,000.00
$5,000.00

And each subsequent level will be more difficult than the last. The contestant must complete each level in order, but is allowed to switch between categories. Each contestant will have two opportunities to complete a level, but the prize money cuts in half for that level if they take their second chance. Contestant is allowed to leave at anytime with the prize money already awarded. If they choose to move on to the next level, and don't complete it, then they walk away with nothing. Obviously, there could be something like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, where they could be guaranteed prize amounts. Like at $1,000 $5,000 $10,000, etc.

Description of each category:

Trick Shots - Contestant will be shown a trick shot (perhaps performed by a pro backstage or on pre-recorded video), and then the contestant must set up the shot and replicate it themselves. The shots would start off a bit simple at first. Some dead shots that simply require a proper set up, but would get more difficult to include masse, stroke, or jump shots.

9ball/8ball Patterns - Contestant will be a given a layout for 9ball or 8ball, and then must run out that pattern with ball in hand. For 8ball, they are allowed to choose stripes or solids.

If a contestant manages to get through all 15 levels, they will then be given two choices.

1. Keep the money and walk away. If they got through all the levels on their first try, then that would be $30,000

2. Or...put it all on the line against a pro (waiting backstage) in one game of either 8ball or 9ball. Contestant's choice, and they would get the break. If the contestant loses, then they get nothing, and the pro wins the money.

I think there would be a lot of pool fans interested in competing in a game show like this. I also think there would be some pros that would be on as well. After all, for them, it's a freeroll at winning some decent cash. With the right host and right set up, it could also be popular among regular folk and ignite some interest in pool. There are two facts about the general public when it comes to game shows like this. They love to see people win money, but they also love to see them put in situations where they could lose it all based on the choices they make.

Thanks for reading!

This show was created at the height of the 1980's Snooker scene. This was a time when almost half the British population were tuning in to watch the World Snooker Championships!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bOUsCHvUg

BeiberLvr
01-13-2014, 07:32 AM
This show was created at the height of the 1980's Snooker scene. This was a time when almost half the British population were tuning in to watch the World Snooker Championships!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bOUsCHvUg

Thanks for posting. I looked it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Break and it seems the only real similarity is that they're both billiard-related gameshow. I noticed Big Break (great name, btw) seemed to be more a trivia show with a snooker related element. Where as what I'm thinking of would be all pool and would have the gambling side of it (does the contestant stop or keep going?)

I'm sure there are a lot of players that know they wouldn't have a shot against Shane in a long race, but might take the chance on one game, especially if they got the break. For those that don't think they would take that chance (I'm one of them), it's a tougher decision to make when you're under the lights.

bdorman
01-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Interesting idea, but who's going to pony up even $1,000 to sponsor a show for hardcore pool players? That's the road we're on now...and there's no money in it.

Figure out a way to make it attractive to a general audience and you've got a winner. Hint: pool can't be the central focus.

RFranklin
01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
It is all about the advertisers. You cant sell a show to a network if you cant sell the ad time and that is based on getting in front of enough viewers. Did anyone see what ESPNs numbers were from the last time they showed pool a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it was decent.

Nitrokid373
01-13-2014, 08:19 AM
I would like to be the pro in the One game scenario thats a pretty big pay out to beat an amature in one game :thumbup:

BeiberLvr
01-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Interesting idea, but who's going to pony up even $1,000 to sponsor a show for hardcore pool players? That's the road we're on now...and there's no money in it.

Figure out a way to make it attractive to a general audience and you've got a winner. Hint: pool can't be the central focus.

My first thought would be commercials. Company could pay X to get a 30 second ad space during the show.

Bella Don't Cry
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for posting. I looked it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Break and it seems the only real similarity is that they're both billiard-related gameshow. I noticed Big Break (great name, btw) seemed to be more a trivia show with a snooker related element. Where as what I'm thinking of would be all pool and would have the gambling side of it (does the contestant stop or keep going?)

I'm sure there are a lot of players that know they wouldn't have a shot against Shane in a long race, but might take the chance on one game, especially if they got the break. For those that don't think they would take that chance (I'm one of them), it's a tougher decision to make when you're under the lights.

The link was more related to how popular an activity needs to be in order for TV to think about producing game related shows...

Bavafongoul
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Go back to the drawing boards......this show concept would last 4-5 weeks
before it would being cancelled..........the concept is just.....boring.......Sorry
but the show would be a flop.

bdorman
01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
My first thought would be commercials. Company could pay X to get a 30 second ad space during the show.

That is the business model for many of the fishing shows: the show simply buys the full 30-minute segment from the cable channel and produces it's own show (no production costs for the cable channel) and sells the ads to cover the cost. It's basically like buying infomercial time.

You can buy time for as little as $2,000 per 30-minute segment...to air at 2:30 am. If you want prime time or anything close to it, count on at least $7,500 - $25,000 per episode.

Figure about another $10,000 per episode for barebones production costs. Then add prize money.

You've got 6 minutes of ad-time per 30-minute segment before your viewers say "too much advertising. Not worth my time." That's about $4,200 per 12 30-second ads to cover a $50,000 nut. You're going to need a lot of viewers to justify $4,200.