PDA

View Full Version : Are Kamui Clear tips a gimmick???

Bob 14:1
01-13-2014, 10:20 AM
I finally found a Denver dealer with a cue lathe. Unfortunately, they don't stock my usual tip; a Moori soft.
Does anyone have any opinions regarding this Kamui tip???

I'm not finding any density ratings, and I'm also wondering if this tip is going to glaze over as quickly as some suggest they experience with a Kamui tip? The glazing issue is often mentioned by users as well as a few installers which I've contacted.

In the copy below, nothing really performance related is mentioned, except for the hair splitting suggestion of a superior attachment and alignment.

Thank you so much for your inputs...

Kamui Clear Black Soft
• Achieve further consistency by limting
the glue absorbed into the bottom layers of the tip.
• No sanding of the bottom layer is needed.
• Easy installation due to the flat surface of the glue side.
• Minimal amount of glue guarantees a perfectly aligned
installation to achieve the designed tip and cue performance.
• For installation, use liquid base super glue like Loctite 401 or Loctite PROFESSIONAL, in order to maximize the adhesion to the Kamui Clear tip. Using the gel type super glue tends to be too thick resulting in longer drying time and a weak bond.

MINIMUM RETAIL PRICE $23.00

j_zippel
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I've been using kamui tips for almost 3 years now and I finally let my cue guy install a clear medium on my cue.. I Still love the old trianlge tips but the consistancy of kamui is top notch in my opinion. I used moori before kamui and there is next to no difference. According to my tip guy the only real difference is the clear pad which eliminates the possibilities of a tilted install. I had mine installed with a red carbon pad which looks pretty cool. There is No difference in terms of feel from my kamui black medium to the clear medium. Kamui has making things more expensive down to a science, atleast their stuff has longevity.

DAVE_M
01-13-2014, 10:36 AM
If you're using a Moori, then switching to a Kamui won't be much of a change. I found both to glaze over equally as fast.

What you gain with a Kamui clear, versus a traditional Kamui or Moori, is that you won't have glue wicking through the leather layers. It's clear for looks, they probably figured they would sell more since it's clear and fancy, rather than just a dull black composite layer. The clear pad is not only their marketing scheme, but it also has a purpose in excess glue prevention.

01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Is the gel Loctite as real of an issue as they claim?

KoolKat9Lives
01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
I have @ 12 hours play on my new Kamui clear soft. I switched from years of using snipers as a result of the Kamui promotion with POVPOOL for an Earl/SVB match. :thumbup:

So far so good! No mushrooming, no glazing, no huge adjustment. I had concerns it would look funky and throw me off. But I've found i don't even notice it.

DAVE_M
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Is the gel Loctite as real of an issue as they claim?

From my experience, no.

I've used both Gel and Liquid. Liquid tends to set really fast, but so does Loctite Gel. If I were to guess, I'd say they mean slow drying epoxy type gel's.

staypuff578
01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I've had my Clear super soft for about a month now. To be honest, I wont be buying another one. It glazes faster than a ham in the oven, and I'm constantly having to scuff (Gator grip) or poke it to be able to hold chalk. I started breaking with it to compress it a few weeks ago, smashing it down well, I'd say it's now playing better than when I first got it. Probably around a medium, which seems to be what I need to stick to, that super soft just isn't my style.

gsxr750rr
01-13-2014, 11:12 AM
This is just my experience. I've used moori mediums in the past and came back to the game to find that they are not the same anymore. Threw away literally hundreds of dollars trying to find an equivalent playing tip. Tried most of the Tiger line and then moved to the Kamui blacks, S,SS,M and then stuck with the softs for awhile, closest thing to the Moori Medium hit that I used to love. When I needed a tip change in an emergency only thing around was a Kamui Black Soft Clear, so I picked it up and had it put on. To me noticeable difference in hit from the normal black and the clear. Clear felt numb. I looked closer at the tip and saw that there is actually another "pad" or something on top of the clear "pad". Seems like there is a whole lot of plastic between ferrule and leather. May account for the numbing feeling, only a guess. Had it on for a couple weeks, hated it so bad I literally cut if off practically brand new and waited for a normal kamui black soft to arrive in the mail. Not to mention that clear layer is distracting when getting down to cue. I got a little used to it but could never adjusted, table lights would do weird reflections, glimmers, etc. from different angles, never the same reflection so I could never adjust to it. Anyways, funny this is after a ton of wasted money I ended up using a pressed elk master and love them, play lights out, as much control over the ball as anyone could ever ask of a tip, never miscues (big issue with the other tips for me). Takes a little time to break in but after it does whoa, I mean whoa, can literally run rack after rack with precision shape. who would have figured after all that, I'm now playing with a 50 cent tip, lol.

poolhustler
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
I have a similar experience. Tried dozens of tips. Been super frustrating.

Since I used the old Moori mediums for a long time and loved them, decided to give the new ones a shot. I absolutely hated them. Took them off right away and put on some Zan softs.

Have only used them for about an hour so no update on them yet.

PhoenixVA
01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
I finally found a Denver dealer with a cue lathe. Unfortunately, they don't stock my usual tip; a Moori soft.

I'm not finding any density ratings, and I'm also wondering if this tip is going to glaze over as quickly as some suggest they experience with a Kamui tip? The glazing issue is often mentioned by users as well as a few installers which I've contacted.

In the copy below, nothing really performance related is mentioned, except for the hair splitting suggestion of a superior attachment and alignment.

Kamui Clear Black Soft
• For installation, use liquid base super glue like Loctite 401 or Loctite PROFESSIONAL, in order to maximize the adhesion to the Kamui Clear tip. Using the gel type super glue tends to be too thick resulting in longer drying time and a weak bond.

I had a professional install the clear black Kamuis on two of my shafts, after reading reviews about them on AZB. Nice tip, and I like the clear part underneath. I got the Soft. LOVE THEM. I repeat, LOVE THEM. The soft is more like a firm Medium of other brands, no mushrooming, holds its shape, and if maintained properly and chalked, does not miscue. When I first got them, I had the cue ball more in the air than on the table. After making sure I had the correct shaping, and with a little scuff on them, I have not miscued since, even when trying to use A LOT of bottom english on the cue ball. I do not sell them, am not affiliated with any sellers, or any of that, but I have not used anything better, personally. The only thing is, the hit (SS, S, M, H) is a level above what it says it is. I just sold my cue with those tips, but the one I am getting in the mail will MOST DEFINITELY get new tips.

real bartram
01-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Kamui Clear Black Soft

Try a ss then you will never want a Morri

KoolKat9Lives
01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
I had a professional install the clear black Kamuis on two of my shafts, after reading reviews about them on AZB. Nice tip, and I like the clear part underneath. I got the Soft. LOVE THEM. I repeat, LOVE THEM. The soft is more like a firm Medium of other brands, no mushrooming, holds its shape, and if maintained properly and chalked, does not miscue. When I first got them, I had the cue ball more in the air than on the table. After making sure I had the correct shaping, and with a little scuff on them, I have not miscued since, even when trying to use A LOT of bottom english on the cue ball. I do not sell them, am not affiliated with any sellers, or any of that, but I have not used anything better, personally. The only thing is, the hit (SS, S, M, H) is a level above what it says it is. I just sold my cue with those tips, but the one I am getting in the mail will MOST DEFINITELY get new tips.

Last year I switched from Trojan super softs to Magnum clear hards. Hadn't had a miscue since. :eek: ;)

TWOFORPOOL
01-13-2014, 01:40 PM
I have hit with a few Kamui Clear tips and I don't like the way they sound. I have be using a Kamui Black Soft tip. Seems the Kamui Clear is for easier installation of the tip. My advise is find someone who knows how to install a tip properly and throw the Kamui Clears out.

01-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi All,

First off, thank you all for some really informative answers. I was afraid this would get into a "I use this tip, yada, yada."

Well, the die is cast. I just got back from dropping off my Schon/Predator/314/2 with a place in Lakewood, Co. called Best Billiards. http://www.bestqualitybilliards.com/?gclid=CJODtY-A_LsCFecRMwodBiAABw

Their cue-smith seemed really knowledgeable so I'm having this tip installed and he's also doing a complete refurbishment. Claims it'll be as new when I pick it up in a couple days.

A special note to those of you who are able to serve the Denver area. Get your name or site on to the google search engine. It was like pulling teeth to find someone in this pool crazy Denver area to do my tip. Advertise, and get your name out there. I had two alternative sources. One guy didn't even have a cue lathe, and the other didn't even have voice mail so I could leave a message.

Perhaps this area exists, but if it doesn't, maybe fellow members could post their web sites, or services in a separate section. I'd sure like to give my business to fellow AZ members.

Thanks again for all the members who took the time to help a guy out!!! :thumbup:

Kim Bye
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Kamui clear is not much different from their ordinary tips, but the clear layer prevents glue wicking and it guarantees a flat install. It`s all about consistency.

$TAKE HOR$E
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Top players use the Clear SS tips to "packspray".....

gsxr750rr
01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
quick thought, if the kamui clear with the clear acrylic pad and black acrylic pad is the same as without the 2 layers of plastic between ferrule and leather then I guess that would be the same thinking as pads or no pads playing the same on ivory ferrules. Interesting didn't realize the close comparison between the two setups before.

MSchaffer
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
I've had my Clear super soft for about a month now. To be honest, I wont be buying another one. It glazes faster than a ham in the oven, and I'm constantly having to scuff (Gator grip) or poke it to be able to hold chalk. I started breaking with it to compress it a few weeks ago, smashing it down well, I'd say it's now playing better than when I first got it. Probably around a medium, which seems to be what I need to stick to, that super soft just isn't my style.

You changed a super-soft into a medium by breaking with it for a few weeks? interesting.

timothysoong
01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Kamui tips go hard pretty fast.

Ive had a kamui soft installed, and did about 100 long straight stop shots per day. After 3 weeks, they went even harder than a moori Q.

Imo, get a ultraskin. They affordably cheap and plays better than kamui or moori. Contact Tom for some.

hang-the-9
01-13-2014, 02:26 PM
The Kamui Black SS I used have never glazed over. They did become quite a bit harder in a few months of use. The clear ones are the same thing with a pad underneath. The Kamui tips remind me a lot of the original Moori tips. I bought one of the new Moori tips and had it cut off a week later LOL.

I was looking for something that had a good soft feel but did not harder up quickly and ordered a tip from outsville.
Try these http://www.shop.outsville.com/Tips_c3.htm

I have a Soft now installed and it's amazing, it may be too soft for most though, it feels like a piece of rubber more than a tip with how pliable it plays, but holds its shape perfectly.

jaetee
01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Last year I switched from Trojan super softs to Magnum clear hards. Hadn't had a miscue since. :eek: ;)

LOL! ;)

:cool:

staypuff578
01-13-2014, 03:00 PM
You changed a super-soft into a medium by breaking with it for a few weeks? interesting.

Nope, and if my post came off like that then I worded it wrong. I've been crushing balls with it to try to smash it a firmer. And to me, which I don't have much experience, it now plays like the medium tip I had on there before. It feels better, and I'm more comfortable with it. Maybe I got used to it, but it seems to play a bit firmer. Hope I worded this one right lol.

bdorman
01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I had a SuperSoft Clear installed on my OBClassic shaft. Love it.

But last week a friend warned me that my tip was falling off my cue. He saw daylight between the ferule and the tip. He assumed it was separation. :grin:

Bavafongoul
01-13-2014, 03:18 PM
After reading these posts, I don't know what to do but since I'm already committed,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been playing with Kamui Black (medium) and
the tip plays a little harder than I prefer and the glazing is annoying indeed.

I have an expensive custom cue being built and I sent my cue-maker two Kamui
Clear Tips (soft) thinking to myself that both the design and performance would be
better. However, after reading these posts, I am starting to wonder whether I should
have switched to Kamui Black (soft or ss) or Kamui Clear in a ss instead of the soft
version I sent my cue-maker. I do not want to switch tips after I get the cue in 60
days.....been waiting seven months......because I'm not allowing anyone except the
original cue-maker repair my cue and that includes the tips. Maybe 4-5 years from
now I'll feel different about letting someone change the tips but not now after having
spent some serious money to have my cue made.

Oh well, I'm not sure whether switching to the clear version was smart or that a ss
hardness wouldn't have played better for me. One thing is sure, since I play with
Kamui Black (med) and it works, I know that the Kamui Clear will work for me. But
since this was a special project cue, it would have been wonderful to get it right
while the cue was still in the hands of my cue-maker being built.....all I can do is
hope I like the change and the overall look of the Kamui Clear on 1" ivory ferrules.

Johnnyt
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM

What the hell is an ss? It's probably secret tip that everyone has been keeping from so my game won't jump two balls. Johnnyt

Jason Koopman
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
What the hell is an ss? It's probably secret tip that everyone has been keeping from so my game won't jump two balls. Johnnyt

SS simply stands for super soft

bdorman
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Super Soft.

Johnnyt
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Duh. Thank you all...I new that...not. Johnnyt

PS: Good old Triangles for me.

ROB.M
01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Ultaskin has a pro tip in the line up. Anyone tried the pro tip out?
Regardless, I'm ordering some.

Rob.M

Blue Hog ridr
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
but the clear layer prevents glue wicking and it guarantees a flat install.

Sure Kim.

If a repairman can't prep a tip properly and make it flat for an install, what would make you think that he can face a ferrule off flat to accept the tip.

Trust me, this has never been a problem for repairmen. If it is a problem to make both the ferrule and tip flat, maybe they shouldn't be installing tips.

You do realize that in one way, the relative hard bottom of a tip that has been prepped is going to be attached to the hard flat surface of the ferrule.
The Kamui clear pad is going to be attached to the flat hard surface of the ferrule. Do you think that the clear pad should or shouldn't get a light scuff
to make it better for the glue to adhere or not. Same difference.

Tell ya what. I bet that its just another of Kanuis fine marketing gimmicks. Just like the over priced chalk that they sell.

Anyone can choose to put either a real carbon fiber or a fiber pad under their tip if they like.

Kamui must use some magic glue that is not available to anyone else.

Tips, specially Pig skin tips are prepped for a reason.

When a tip is prepped for an install, the glue will wick up half to a full layer at the bottom of the tip.

How will a small hard layer at the bottom of a tip (from glue) affect play any more than a hard acrylic pad at the bottom of the tip?

If with the advent of a clear pad at the bottom of their tips prevent screwed up installs, does that render the rest of their tip line that don't have a pad, useless?

When people talk about glue wicking up into a tip, the glue isn't going half way up a tip. You knew that tho, right.

Trust me, if a person can tell the difference in how a tip plays between a tip that has been prepped with a a thin glue or a pad or installed with a Gel glue. Than they have a pretty sensitive touch.

I believe that if you go to Seyberts site, you will see that the Ultra Skin out sells the Kamui tips.

Must be a reason for that eh.

So far, I have re installed two Kamui tips that were installed in Vegas that popped shortly there after. Guess they weren't prepped properly.
Both are still on the owners shafts.

scsuxci
01-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Kamui Clear Black Soft

313583IMO, they are awesome and feel different then the regular KB. What I love about these tips is when you hit the cueball on the outer
edge, it feels like your hitting center ball.Every shot feels solid with no odd feeling
ever. Best tip I've ever played with.BTW mines a medium.

Blue Hog ridr
01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Wow, and to think how great a player Shane might be if he got rid of those darn Triangles.

I'm going to the shop right now and tossing out at least a thousand in tip stock and installing nothing but Kamui tips in the future. NOT!

scsuxci
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Wow, and to think how great a player Shane might be if he got rid of those darn Triangles.

I'm going to the shop right now and tossing out at least a thousand in tip stock and installing nothing but Kamui tips in the future. NOT!

Shane could play with no tip and still run out:) Out of all the Kamui tips I really like this one.There are some great tips out there.Its strange though, I play with a Predator shaft
and find a medium tip plays best. If I use a maple shaft I need a tip that's super-hard.
For years I loved compressed elkmasters.It all depends on your style of play.

Blue Hog ridr
01-13-2014, 08:10 PM
I believe you 120%.

Its the willingness of the Kool Aide Drinkers that buy into all the Hype of new products that keep mucho dinero in other peoples pockets.

No big deal. I install one Ultra Skin tip and a week later, I have people asking for the same tip that their buddy has.

Honestly, I have never had even one person ask me if I carry Kamui tips. The answer would be a big NO of course. They would just sit in the tool box.

$TAKE HOR$E
01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
― What is your first impression for KAMUI Clear?
When I began using KAMUI Clear, the only way to put into words the sensation experienced was, Connection! My arm and cue became one and could feel the cue ball.
―  What benefits do you see in KAMUI Clear
The benefits I feel are simply clear ! Repeatable, consistent, performance. This mixture brings success!
― What can KAMUI Clear bring to your game?
The better feel you obtain the more you play, the more you play, the better you become, the better you are the more opportunities you have to win! Let your imagination come to life.
― Any advice to the other players?
The piece of advice to help one achieve their own style and best game is to find what you like.
Try everything and anything when it comes to equipment. Give yourself a chance to fall in love, and when you do, it will show through your play !
Don’t be afraid to ask great players questions, its a sign of intelligence and any great player that knows why he is great will recognize this and be happy to answer you.And always be honest and hold yourself 100% accountable for your actions and learn from them!

- Hunter Lombardo

scsuxci
01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
I believe you 120%.

Its the willingness of the Kool Aide Drinkers that buy into all the Hype of new products that keep mucho dinero in other peoples pockets.

No big deal. I install one Ultra Skin tip and a week later, I have people asking for the same tip that their buddy has.

Honestly, I have never had even one person ask me if I carry Kamui tips. The answer would be a big NO of course. They would just sit in the tool box.

Your right, I've let people hit with a certain shaft and they want the same tip
on there shaft. I always tell them, you may like the feel of the tip but your liking
the hit of it when its on my shaft. They end up putting it on there's and its not the same.
The price of them are nuts and most guys that play in a league would never spend 40 plus to have one put on.
They want a $10 dollar Lepro and $30 in Beer:smile:

Celophanewrap
01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
I had a SuperSoft Clear installed on my OBClassic shaft. Love it.

But last week a friend warned me that my tip was falling off my cue. He saw daylight between the ferule and the tip. He assumed it was separation. :grin:

That light thing was the hardest thing to get past about the Kamui clear. That is really distracting when you get down to shoot and take a few strokes, to me it looks lie the tip is sort of bent, it's weird. Love the tip though

The Renfro
01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Do wonder if the clear pad is heavier than the 2 layers of tip it replaced or is it just added to the bottom of an existing Kamui??

Since end mass effects deflection I have been putting thicker pads on shafts if I felt I wanted a little more deflection out of... Not had time to test how much weight per degree but that's gotta be a formula of some type =)

Saw the Hunter thing and Hunter is sponsored by Kamui... Not saying he doesn't believe everything printed....

Chris "I just loved playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle..."

Rain-Man
01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Kamui Blacks are by far the best tips I've personally ever used.. I cannot feel any difference between the Kamui Black and Kamui Clear Black, even though I do understand the theory about the glue unevenly wicking into the leather and creating 'hard' spots..

I could easily be wrong, but I was fairly sure Shane uses the Kamui Original Hard tips. I know he used to use the Kamui Black Hard, but switched to title Original at some point..

And yes, they do look pretty cool as well...

StraightPoolIU
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM

FTR Shane plays with a Kamui brown medium or at least he did when he was asked on the last few TAR podcasts he was on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rain-Man
01-13-2014, 09:23 PM
FTR Shane plays with a Kamui brown medium or at least he did when he was asked on the last few TAR podcasts he was on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was fairly sure he played with a Kamui as well, but I for some reason thought remembered it being a hard...

victorl
01-13-2014, 09:35 PM
I wonder if the people who are having problems with their kamui tips somehow ended up with counterfeits. I've seen a LOT of fakes floating around the newer counterfeits even have the holograms on them. You can spot them if you know what you're looking for, but I'm sure there are many being bought, sold, and used everyday.

Blue Hog ridr
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Amazing what a small piece of plastic on the bottom of a tip can do for your game.

Honestly, I would have never thought.

One of these days, I will have to cut up a few CDs.

Terry - Wondering what is used to attach the small plastic disc to the leather tip. Must be rivets, yep, thats it, rivets, cause it couldn't be glue or anything.

None so Blind than those who will not see. But I forgot, 30 dollar chalk will also bring your game up by a few balls also.

I seriously don't care what tip a person chooses to use, but if the cue ball doesn't hit the object ball exactly where it needs to, the OB isn't going where you would prefer it to.

If a little piece of plastic on the bottom of a tip can change that for you. Then I don't know what else to say. I am truly amazed at the technology behind this.

I win my games with a Cheap Milk Dud.

gsxr750rr
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
lol, actually when you really sit back and think about it, its kinda funny you have to laugh at it. Dbag kinda has a good point. Folks, we're being sold a tiny piece of leather for 20 plus bucks, we fork over the cash, smile, and proceed to get more people to do the same for them. I'll stick to the pressed elkmaster. I actually feel foolish thinking that I spent that kinda money on tips. There's always gonna be a hustle in the pool room. Not saying it aint a bad tip, but, for the money?

gsxr750rr
01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
correction sorry, dbag club - blue hog rider

Rain-Man
01-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Amazing what a small piece of plastic on the bottom of a tip can do for your game.

Honestly, I would have never thought.

One of these days, I will have to cut up a few CDs.

Terry - Wondering what is used to attach the small plastic disc to the leather tip. Must be rivets, yep, thats it, rivets, cause it couldn't be glue or anything.

None so Blind than those who will not see. But I forgot, 30 dollar chalk will also bring your game up by a few balls also.

I seriously don't care what tip a person chooses to use, but if the cue ball doesn't hit the object ball exactly where it needs to, the OB isn't going where you would prefer it to.

If a little piece of plastic on the bottom of a tip can change that for you. Then I don't know what else to say. I am truly amazed at the technology behind this.

I win my games with a Cheap Milk Dud.

Do you have a personal beef with Kamui or something? I ask because your replies about them seem to go far beyond a simple like or dislike... :scratchhead:
It would seem like you have a personal vendetta against them from reading your replies...?
Heck, I personally HATE Elkmasters, Blue Diamonds, and LePros, but I still at least carry them, and on the rare occasion one of the old-timers asks for one I would never turn them away on it?
Just sounds like you have an ax to grind more than anything...

Inquiring minds wanna know Hog, whats up...?

Rain-Man

Rain-Man
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
lol, actually when you really sit back and think about it, its kinda funny you have to laugh at it. Dbag kinda has a good point. Folks, we're being sold a tiny piece of leather for 20 plus bucks, we fork over the cash, smile, and proceed to get more people to do the same for them. I'll stick to the pressed elkmaster. I actually feel foolish thinking that I spent that kinda money on tips. There's always gonna be a hustle in the pool room. Not saying it aint a bad tip, but, for the money?

I could never wrap my head around this kind of thinking... I dont know if its from an era I was not around for, but I just dont get it..

My lowest priced tips installed are $14 .. I charge $29 for a Kamui Black, or $30 for a Kamui Clear Black. So for the sake of argument here, lets just use the $30 Kamui Clear Black.

- The difference in price is $16
- My personal tips last around 4-6 months (MOST people go much longer before tip changes, but I play at least 5 days a week, and around an average of 3-5 hours each of those days)
- So just using the median numbers here, Im getting about 400 hours of use/enjoyment from a single tip (4 hours a session x 5 days a week x 20 weeks)
- So my price to use the tip I prefer comes out to about an additional $0.04 per hour ($16 Divided by 400 hours)

Think of the many ways you can (and do) EASILY spend $16...

Now, im not saying their for everyone. Everybody has their personal opinions of what they like and dislike, and thats completely fine. I have no problem when someone says they dont like a Kamui tip because of how it plays....
But It kills me when I hear someone say they dont like them or use them because their too expensive.. I literally cant stop shaking my head when I read/hear this argument... These are the same people who would honestly use them (and love them) in a heartbeat if they were frickin $10 cheaper....

Just blows me away..... 4 cents an hour....

j_zippel
01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I believe you 120%.

Sounds like that's your doing that the Kamui tips sit in the toolbox. It comes down to what people want, or does it? Not in your case since you seem to determine what people want. I would Never take my cue for maintanance to someone like you. When I have work done on my cue I want it done my way, I'm paying for it and could care less if i pay $25 for a tip, it lasts for 6-8 months. Anyways, your opinion won't sway me nor many others not to use Kamui. So Keep up the good work promoting the tips you make the most margin on, we all get it.. And for the record, I do like Ultraskins but am more fond 75% of Moori's, and ofcourse Kamui. As far as the kamui clear goes, it's astetics for me not the glue wicking or whatever else marketed to be practical.

sfleinen
01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Sure Kim.

If a repairman can't prep a tip properly and make it flat for an install, what would make you think that he can face a ferrule off flat to accept the tip.

Trust me, this has never been a problem for repairmen. If it is a problem to make both the ferrule and tip flat, maybe they shouldn't be installing tips.

You do realize that in one way, the relative hard bottom of a tip that has been prepped is going to be attached to the hard flat surface of the ferrule.
The Kamui clear pad is going to be attached to the flat hard surface of the ferrule. Do you think that the clear pad should or shouldn't get a light scuff
to make it better for the glue to adhere or not. Same difference.

Tell ya what. I bet that its just another of Kanuis fine marketing gimmicks. Just like the over priced chalk that they sell.

Anyone can choose to put either a real carbon fiber or a fiber pad under their tip if they like.

Kamui must use some magic glue that is not available to anyone else.

Tips, specially Pig skin tips are prepped for a reason.

When a tip is prepped for an install, the glue will wick up half to a full layer at the bottom of the tip.

How will a small hard layer at the bottom of a tip (from glue) affect play any more than a hard acrylic pad at the bottom of the tip?

If with the advent of a clear pad at the bottom of their tips prevent screwed up installs, does that render the rest of their tip line that don't have a pad, useless?

When people talk about glue wicking up into a tip, the glue isn't going half way up a tip. You knew that tho, right.

Trust me, if a person can tell the difference in how a tip plays between a tip that has been prepped with a a thin glue or a pad or installed with a Gel glue. Than they have a pretty sensitive touch.

I believe that if you go to Seyberts site, you will see that the Ultra Skin out sells the Kamui tips.

Must be a reason for that eh.

So far, I have re installed two Kamui tips that were installed in Vegas that popped shortly there after. Guess they weren't prepped properly.
Both are still on the owners shafts.

I have to agree, Terry. It seems this product is one created to "fix a problem that doesn't exist." I have never seen a cue repairman worth his salt mount a tip cockeyed or tilted. Amateurs? Sure. Cue repairman in the business, day in and day out? No.

And this idea of glue wicking into the bottom layers -- isn't glue *supposed* to do that, for adhesion purposes? I don't know, I've always been of the impression that glue on any porous surface (as leather is) is supposed to lightly wick into the surface -- think roots of a plant growing into the earth -- to "grab" the material tightly. And it's not like the CA glue is going to completely saturate those layers where they become as hard as the glue itself. Kamui makes it out like if one or two layers become as hard as the glue, that it takes away from the whole tip.

Last I looked, layered tips:

Have their layers glued together to begin with. So between that first layer and the second layer, you already have a non-porous "glue barrier" against the CA glue you're using to glue the tip with. That CA is not going to wick past that first layer.
Are at least five layers thick. Some are seven or more. Even if that first layer is completely compromised by glue wicking (which would have to be literally soaked), you still have at least four layers of good tip material left.

The idea that inconsistencies in how a repairman glues a tip on is going to be removed with this "clear" barrier is, IMHO, nonsense. A repairman that does a shoddy glue job on regular layered tips can just as easily do a shoddy glue job with this Kamui Clear product. It's just marketing.

The tip material itself (the part past that clear layer) is a different matter. That can be a good tip, and I imagine the leather product Kamui uses is. I just don't buy this marketing about the clear layer.

Having said all that, if Kamui is making a product that is popular and makes the company successful, I'm for it, because we need successes in pool. I'm just not a fan of the "eating your own children" style of marketing, and so I think for myself and make my own choices.

-Sean

Straightpool_99
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Blue Hog ridr
01-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes Rain Man. I don't have a personal beef with Kamui. I know they do much for pool.

My beef, and it isn't that great is with John Bertone. You can PM me and I will explain. I have aired this publicly before and it is not necessary to type it over again.

Regardless of that, my opinions of the clear tip is exactly what I typed as it has zero to do with how I feel about John.

JZ, if you lived closer, you should bring your cues to my shop. I take a serious amount of extra time, just to install one tip. That is to ensure that any of my installs are flawless.

I have had one tip pop and that was on my own cue.

I also have a money back guarantee with any tip that I recommend. If a player isn't happy with any particular tip, I will replace the tip with any other tip of choice.

Customers that have a tip put on also get a free dent removal and shaft clean with any tip. Not many repairmen do that for free.

I'm a bit OCD and won't allow a dirty shaft to leave the shop. so they get that, no charge.

So far, I haven't chased any players away from my shop.

As I mentioned, the prepping of a tip with thin CA is done on any tip. Pig Skin will tend to wick more than some others. This was started with Moori tips long before Kamui was in the market. I didn't invent this prepping procedure. I learned from repairmen that have decades more experience than I.

And as Sean stated and anyone is welcome to try this on their own. The wicking will only go to one half to one full layer at the bottom. This stops the glue from being wicked into the bottom on install and provides for a much better bond between the tip and ferrule.

I have replaced popped tips and could see that there is almost no glue left on the ferrule. It all disappeared into the tip. After the CA has dried, I use a tip *****er and make a few small indents into the bottom of the tip where the set glue is. This will give the glue something else to wick into and make an even stronger bond.

I would make zero money at a tourney as it usually takes me 20 minutes to install a tip. It might be crazy but it is my way.

I keep OB carbon pads and regular fiber pads on hand for break cues. If someone wants a pretty blue or red pad under their tip they can have one for free as it takes almost no time to add one for them.

I use thin CA to prep. I believe that a Gel CA or Epoxy, which is thicker may tend to wick much less than Thin. I have always done it my way and not overly interested in experimenting on either mine or a customers cues.

buddha162
01-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Straw man.

The clear pad has nothing to do with facing off either surface; it's about consistent gluing, period. 3 out of 4 repairmen in my area does not understand the concept of properly prepping a tip for install. As a consequence, I've had more tips end up "clicking" on me than I care to mention. The clear pad makes install idiot-proof, and that is the ONLY thing it does. The rest is hype and gimmick, I agree, but having a guaranteed install is no small thing.

-roger

Blue Hog ridr
01-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Buddha, we have been thru this before in the last Kamui Clear thread.

In the end, we both agreed to each others theory. I believe that we are both reading from the same page on this one.

My comment on the facing thing was in response to a post where someone mentioned a lop sided install.

Myself, I can't see any, or many repairmen that would sand the bottom of a tip that much as to make it lop sided.

Maybe that was a bad choice of words. Lop Sided.

Altho, the idea of sending an apprentice out to get some 45 degree sand paper might be worth a laugh.

Cuemaster98
01-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Having gone through all kinds of tips....my advice has always been...try all the tips you can find and you'll be the judge as to what is the best for you. Some players...just love the triangle and there's nothing you can do especially when they been playing fine with it for over 50 years. I personally like hard hitting tips as to me it more consistent and provide me with more power (love my CM360 Fearless tips). The benefit of SS or Soft tip is that it can be molded and harden naturally to your stroke over time of play...but it required time to break into the tips.

Regardless of the tip you choose, you need to first understand if you want a hard hitting or soft hitting tips. Hard hitting tip give you more elasticity/bounce/power....most soft absorb your power/has less bounce so require more stroke power to move the ball but it has more feel to them ... Generally softer tips are good for spinning the ball and harder tips are good for playing natural shot that closer to center. Regardless of all the tips out on the market, the best tips is always going to be different for everyone. You'll hear a lot people that say so and so tip is the best...but most probably haven't try anything else to know the difference.

Blue Hog ridr
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Thats good advice Duc.

Funny that I have just about every tip available in my tool box but just got on to using my own Milk Duds and now using Dawg's Duds for some time.

To me, they give me everything that I want in a tip.

Some of my shafts also have Ultra Skins and Black Kings on them. Another 2 tips that I will always use and recommend.

lfigueroa
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
When you try a tip you like, go back and buy a bunch of them. The last time I did that it was black Kamui SS and I went back and bought a dozen. If you don't, you might end up with a different pig that led a rougher life or maybe the little Japanese grandma's chewing the whale blubber for the glue between the layers that day were tired and didn't masticate enough.

Installed, the Kamui clears look like you're putting a big ol' glue line between the ferrule and tip. I wouldn't want a big ol' glue line between my shaft and ferrule, so why on God's good green Simonis covered Earth would I put one between my tip and ferrule?

Lou Figueroa

buddha162
01-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Buddha, we have been thru this before in the last Kamui Clear thread.

In the end, we both agreed to each others theory. I believe that we are both reading from the same page on this one.

You're right, I forgot about the earlier threads. You sound like you know how to install a tip the right way, and so for you the clear pad would be superfluous. Not so for many, many "repairmen" out there, who don't prep the tip properly, or use the best quality/freshest glue. Nothing is more frustrating than getting your cue back, and within the first rack hearing that awful "click" of a bad install.

-roger

buddha162
01-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Installed, the Kamui clears look like you're putting a big ol' glue line between the ferrule and tip. I wouldn't want a big ol' glue line between my shaft and ferrule...

Except it's not a big ol' glue line.

-roger

lfigueroa
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Except it's not a big ol' glue line.

-roger

Sure looks like one :-)

Lou Figueroa

Kim Bye
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Nice macro pictures Rain-Man :thumbup:
I don`t understand how a tip can produce so much feelings in some people...
I like the Kamui clear soft tip and think it`s $22 well spent.

JoeyA
01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I think Kamui tips have the best consistency of any tips that I have ever used. That being said, I did not like the Super Soft Kamui Black tips.

Cue tips are just like automobiles. People have different tastes in automobiles and they will with cue tips, too.

I personally have tried all except the HARD, black Kamui tips and have now fallen in love with the TAN or BROWN as some call them and I use the medium tip.

As far as the CLEAR is concerned, I have noticed any problems with using the CLEAR. It gets LOTS of comments from my opponents but right now I have a regular Tan Kamui tan on my cue. When it comes time to replace it, I will use the Clear next time, just to test the water. I have a VERY short ferrule and sometimes let my tip get very short so the CLEAR may provide a little protection when the tip gets really short as I am apt to allow them to do.

Try them all and see what YOU LIKE. That's all that matters.

For a while I thought the BLACK was the best for my area because I play in a very humid environment but l now like the TAN even better than the black. :shrug:

JoeyA

JoeyA
01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Having gone through all kinds of tips....my advice has always been...try all the tips you can find and you'll be the judge as to what is the best for you. Some players...just love the triangle and there's nothing you can do especially when they been playing fine with it for over 50 years. I personally like hard hitting tips as to me it more consistent and provide me with more power (love my CM360 Fearless tips). The benefit of SS or Soft tip is that it can be molded and harden naturally to your stroke over time of play...but it required time to break into the tips.

Regardless of the tip you choose, you need to first understand if you want a hard hitting or soft hitting tips. Hard hitting tip give you more elasticity/bounce/power....most soft absorb your power/has less bounce so require more stroke power to move the ball but it has more feel to them ... Generally softer tips are good for spinning the ball and harder tips are good for playing natural shot that closer to center. Regardless of all the tips out on the market, the best tips is always going to be different for everyone. You'll hear a lot people that say so and so tip is the best...but most probably haven't try anything else to know the difference.

Best advice in the thread!

JoeyA

Blue Hog ridr
01-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Neil Lickfold, from New Zealand did some experimenting with discs cut from CDs.

When I went Gold, I think that I lost quite a few PMs so don't have the results that he sent me.

One of these days, I will get a Forstner bit and cut a few discs and see.

I do like the look myself and wouldn't find them to be distracting.

What I do find distracting is guys who shoot with dirt blue ferrules. I don't know how they can do that.

The worst thing that can happen is I make a couple of my shafts look prettier.

j_zippel
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Neil Lickfold, from New Zealand did some experimenting with discs cut from CDs.

When I went Gold, I think that I lost quite a few PMs so don't have the results that he sent me.

One of these days, I will get a Forstner bit and cut a few discs and see.

I do like the look myself and wouldn't find them to be distracting.

What I do find distracting is guys who shoot with dirt blue ferrules. I don't know how they can do that.

The worst thing that can happen is I make a couple of my shafts look prettier.

lol.. i agree, distracting and embarrassing.

Blue Hog ridr
01-15-2014, 12:41 AM
IMO, they are awesome and feel different then the regular KB. What I love about these tips is when you hit the cueball on the outer
edge, it feels like your hitting center ball.Every shot feels solid with no odd feeling
ever. Best tip I've ever played with.BTW mines a medium.

Lets look at it this way.

Ferrule material. Aegis (linen melamine), Titan, different Ivorines, (very hard), Juma, PVC, phenolic and G-10.

Varying degrees of hardness.

What is the Clear pad made of. lets say its acrylic because its clear. Whatever it is made of, its a hard material.

You take a 1/32 or 1/16th of an inch acrylic material and glue one hard material on top of another hard material, (your ferrule), and all of a sudden, you can tell a huge difference with a Kamui Clear tip over a regular tip.

All you are essentially doing is extending the length of your ferrule by the thickness of the Clear pad. If anything, you now have a glue line in between your ferrule and the tip pad and have lessened the integrity of the hit that your ferrule material once gave you. Very thin tip pads are necessary for Ivory ferrules and for protection on break cues. I use Linen Melamine ferrules, (medium Hard) because coupled with a medium tip, it gives me the hit that I like.
Why would I feel the need to change that by placing a clear pad of unknown material in between my ferrule and tip.

It is like being able to kiss the most beautiful women in the world, but with a piece of computer paper in between your lips.

I say utter Hog Wash.

scsuxci
01-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Lets look at it this way.

Ferrule material. Aegis (linen melamine), Titan, different Ivorines, (very hard), Juma, PVC, phenolic and G-10.

Varying degrees of hardness.

What is the Clear pad made of. lets say its acrylic because its clear. Whatever it is made of, its a hard material.

You take a 1/32 or 1/16th of an inch acrylic material and glue one hard material on top of another hard material, (your ferrule), and all of a sudden, you can tell a huge difference with a Kamui Clear tip over a regular tip.

All you are essentially doing is extending the length of your ferrule by the thickness of the Clear pad. If anything, you now have a glue line in between your ferrule and the tip pad and have lessened the integrity of the hit that your ferrule material once gave you. Very thin tip pads are necessary for Ivory ferrules and for protection on break cues. I use Linen Melamine ferrules, (medium Hard) because coupled with a medium tip, it gives me the hit that I like.
Why would I feel the need to change that by placing a clear pad of unknown material in between my ferrule and tip.

It is like being able to kiss the most beautiful women in the world, but with a piece of computer paper in between your lips.

I say utter Hog Wash.

It might be because I'm depraved, but I don't mind computer paper, it would
go with my Commodore 69:wink:

01-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I find the tip to be all right. No great shakes so far, although it sure looks cool ass!!. In all sincerity, I don't think I can detect any pros or cons regarding the clear wafer, but if it weren't for all the recent condemnations of the current Moori soft, I'd be just as, if not more happy, with another Moori soft.

BTW, what's the deal with Moori now to garner all the criticism; specifics if you please. I just bought a cheap Schmelke/Moori soft for holiday guests, and I think the tip plays great.

Is it possible that Schmelke is so large, that they still have old Moori inventory?

j_zippel
01-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Kamui tips go hard pretty fast.

Ive had a kamui soft installed, and did about 100 long straight stop shots per day. After 3 weeks, they went even harder than a moori Q.

Imo, get a ultraskin. They affordably cheap and plays better than kamui or moori. Contact Tom for some.

I respectfully disagree.

Blue Hog ridr
01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Bob, maybe you would consider trying a Wizard tip.

Many have compared them to a Moori. I carry them and have used them but not so much with a Moori that I can make a qualified comparison other than I think that the Wizard plays well.

They are very reasonably priced and decent quality. If you see one on a shaft, you wouldn't tell the difference between the 2.

Just a thought and it would only cost you a couple of bucks to see for yourself.

More than one way to skin a cat, or a Burbot when I am ice fishing.

The only experience that I have with a kamui, is the Kamui SS Brown. It was done in one month. It flattened out and mushroomed every time that I went to the hall. A cue maker suggested that I dress the sides of the tip with CA.

Now, doesn't that just go against the idea of not getting glue impregnated in the layers?

01-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Bob, maybe you would consider trying a Wizard tip.

Many have compared them to a Moori. I carry them and have used them but not so much with a Moori that I can make a qualified comparison other than I think that the Wizard plays well.

They are very reasonably priced and decent quality. If you see one on a shaft, you wouldn't tell the difference between the 2.

Just a thought and it would only cost you a couple of bucks to see for yourself.

More than one way to skin a cat, or a Burbot when I am ice fishing.

The only experience that I have with a kamui, is the Kamui SS Brown. It was done in one month. It flattened out and mushroomed every time that I went to the hall. A cue maker suggested that I dress the sides of the tip with CA.

Now, doesn't that just go against the idea of not getting glue impregnated in the layers?

Yeah Terry, I'm with you. It's mostly all smoke n mirrors. I'm actually getting used to the new tip now.

I'd have asked you to do the install, but I suspect you're up in Canada and maybe the freight would be prohibitive. Any idea what it costs to ship U.S. to Canada?

My guy was the only game in town and consequently cost me $55. Not a biggie, but I'd rather give my business to a friend and AZ member.

Tyler0369
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I've had the kamui black clear hard tip on my cue for about 5 months and I play 5-6 times a week (I work at a pool hall) and I absolutely love it. Great control on the cue ball a more consistent hit and I also find they don't mushroom as much as any other tip I will be using this tip until they are no long available! Great buy for the 23$ u spend on the tip.
Tip rankings:
#1 - Kamui black clear (no issues to date)
#2 - moori (mushrooms/layer issues)
#3 - Talisman pro hard (the hardness of the tips are never identical)

03-08-2014, 03:54 PM
No mushrooming here either, Tyler; even with my soft tip.

Granted, I don't break very often with the tip, but so far I think it was a great choice.

Bavafongoul
03-08-2014, 05:27 PM
I have Kamui Black on my current cues and have two cues underway with a total of five shafts.
All of the new shafts have Kamui Clear tips and I got them at the best price I've seen on the Forum .
And Shooter08 (Tom) shipped direct to my cue-maker which made things even easier for me.

Matt B.

dkjshark
03-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I love the kamui clear med tip. I use it with my ivory ferrule and it hits great. I was using the predator medium tip and I like the kamui clear better.

Blue Hog ridr
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't know man. I had bad luck with the SS Brown.

I bought 3 Players HXT shafts with the soft Kamui on them. I figured that I would give them an honest try out. They do play well but same thing. They tend to lose their shape
after a couple of sessions and have to be constantly playing with them.

That is one thing that you don't have to do with an Ultra Skin.

I was hoping to take back my words about Kamui and give these a good rating but can't so far. They do seem to glaze as well and have to scuff more than a person should have to. The best I can say is that I feel that they do play pretty well but not any more impressive than many other tips out there.
I guess I got spoiled on good Milk Duds and Ultra Skins.

If I were to get or make a shaft without a ferrule, I may put a piece of CD disc material under the tip to try it out, but doubt that I would go out of my way
to try a Clear.

It would be a clear pad under a Skin. With a ferruless shaft, it might be a good thing.

j_zippel
03-08-2014, 11:37 PM
I think Kamui tips have the best consistency of any tips that I have ever used. That being said, I did not like the Super Soft Kamui Black tips.

Cue tips are just like automobiles. People have different tastes in automobiles and they will with cue tips, too.

I personally have tried all except the HARD, black Kamui tips and have now fallen in love with the TAN or BROWN as some call them and I use the medium tip.

As far as the CLEAR is concerned, I have noticed any problems with using the CLEAR. It gets LOTS of comments from my opponents but right now I have a regular Tan Kamui tan on my cue. When it comes time to replace it, I will use the Clear next time, just to test the water. I have a VERY short ferrule and sometimes let my tip get very short so the CLEAR may provide a little protection when the tip gets really short as I am apt to allow them to do.

Try them all and see what YOU LIKE. That's all that matters.

For a while I thought the BLACK was the best for my area because I play in a very humid environment but l now like the TAN even better than the black. :shrug:

JoeyA

I'd have to agree..i've only used black though. Like they say, once u go black ya never go back.

I have two shafts, I use kamui clear medium on one and a pressed triangle, stained and burnished up real nice. It's sealed with a shark oil product.

MotorCityCue
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Kamui Tips are probably one of the most consistent tips available. The clear models were invented because many installers and regular players were not installing them properly, either using too much glue or waiting too long after applying the glue to the tip, etc... I feel that the "Clear" models might change the feel slightly but not much and are less likely to be glued on incorrectly.

I recommend the Kamui "Black" or "Clear Black" Series but I also stock the "Natural" (Brown)series as well. The SS (Super Soft) feels like a soft and has a lot of grap but will mushroom a few times until it is really broken in, trimmed and re-burnished (a great bar box tip). The S (Soft) feels more like a medium-soft or medium and is my preferred tip of choice and it is a great place to start. It will mushroom a little bit at first but will not mushroom after the tip is broken in, trimmed and re-burnished once or twice. The M (Medium) is a harder tip that has a "click" sound to it and does not really mushroom at all although I would scuff it with a nickel or dime shaper a little more often, as it can glaze over a little more easily like harder tips tend to do. It is definitely a better tip for getting a little more high follow on a shot and for snappier stroke shots, etc

DO NOT USE TIP PRIKS or PORCUPINES or TAPPERS (paddle type) Shooters that use that tool are basically creating more nap to the tip but it all gets smashed down and your tip will disappear more rapidly and you become a cue repairman's best friend. Tip Priks and Tappers also create flat spots on your tip especially when they are used the way many players I see use them (like they are hitting a racquet ball) I recommended scuffers like the "Willard's" or the "Ultimate Tool" types. Depending on the tip and the hardness, one or the other, metal or sandpaper will work better.

Players that overly chalk are just sanding off the tip and over-loading it, which can cause miscuing. Also chalking with well used chalk that is shaped like a large hole will sand your ferrule down, basically putting a nice groove in the middle of it. I also see a lot of players chalking their cues in a straight up position which just "showers" the shaft with chalk causing a blue mess. As we all know most pool table cloth is not cleaned regularly so our bridge hands always turn blue and then we transfer a lot of chalk to the shaft that way.

Note, when you miscue, take a look at your tip and 9 times out of 10, players are not anywhere near the middle or off center of the tip, but at the very edge of the tip. Their are no tips in the industry that won't miscue when you are hitting that far out of the perimeter of the cueball! If you think you need to be that far out on the perimeter of a cue ball to make a shot it is probably just better to play a different shot or a safety instead.

In the past Moori tips from Japan were the premier tip to use. Years ago Mr. Moori stopped sending the tips to the USA. He only sold them in Japan I believe. They are made at his home, not in some factory or something. Just recently I was able to get some new Moori mediums from my distributor. Mr. Moori only sent out "Mediums" recently to the USA. The "Slow (Soft) and "Quick" (Hard) models are not available at this time.

Any other Moori tips sold in the past few years were either older stock or have been counterfeits and that's why Moori has gotten a bad reputation. I HAVE BRAND NEW REAL MOORI MEDIUMS!!!

I sell and install several types of tips, some of which are listed on my repair site: http://www.motorcitycuerepair.com I include a shaft clean-up, seal and wax and am an expert at removing most dents and dings without sanding the crap out of your shaft like most lazy cue repair men do. There are techniques to removing dents and getting the chalk stains out (taking 600 grade paper to your shaft is NOT THE ANSWER! Hope this info has helped

ADAM HENSON
08-21-2014, 05:48 PM
........✔️

GoBilliards
09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes obv the clear does not affect the play.

Chops02
10-01-2014, 12:54 AM
i have a clear black medium on my playing cue and i love it. holds chalk great just like the original, and i love the hit when combined with my ob1+ shaft. i've never been distracted by the clear layer when cueing as mentioned by some. nor have i ever noticed any reflections or anything of the sort. in the end it's all personal preference when it comes to tips though. there's very little way to truly find out what you will like other than trial and error.

Fast Lenny
10-01-2014, 01:06 AM
My opinion on them is that its a gimmick. I do not use the chalk at all but have liked Kamuis tips for the most part besides my last one which was a medium black clear. It hit way too hard for a medium, I miscued more with this tip then any other I have ever owned. Maybe I got a bad one but I literally had this new tip cut off a few of days ago and an Ultra soft put on. I have miscued once with the Ultra where with the Kamui I miscued at least once a day if not 2-3 times.

conetip
10-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Acually their is real science behind the clear tip pad. It works even with normal tips. Not just Kamui.
Is the difference enough to pay and have those pads put onto tips?
Some definitely think so. It does change the way a tip performs that is for sure.
In cues that have the softer ferrules, I think the tip pads a real good thing. Those that have hard ferrules and have people who can get the surfaces very flat will see very little difference.

DAVE_M
10-01-2014, 05:04 AM
It all comes down to preference and preference is sometimes influenced by status.
A 10 cent Le Pro will do the job as well as a Kamui Black Clear Medium tip.

I've always thought that the name was rather funny. It's literally the description of the tip. It would be funny to see car manfacturer's do the same... "This here is a Chevrolet Large Red Truck." To the point, though, I believe they are a gimmick and they could have been even more gimmicky with a slick name.

takeitdown
10-01-2014, 05:54 AM
I just picked up a new 314-2 shaft with a Kamui clear soft tip. I always have played 314's primarily with Moori mediums. After 2 weeks of play I am absolutely in love with it. It isn't glazing over at all. The hit is softer, but the feel and spin control is just awesome.

Sometimes using a new shaft or stick refocuses one, but I really think it's more than just that. I never played with soft tips much, but I think I've been won over. If this one plays a bit harder in a month or so that's fine, but it really hasn't changed much. With the Mooris they would glaze over a bit and after 2-3 weeks of play I would get a couple miscues and have to scuff it. Once I shaped the Kamui initially, it just hasn't changed after about 50 hours of play. So far so great, fingers crossed.

m79a
10-01-2014, 11:48 AM
I Kamui clear installed on my OB1 about 3 months ago. No complaints what so ever, I love it. It does have a strange look with the carbon fiber pad under it, but the only people that it seems to bother are people i play agianst. They say I couldn't stand my tip looking like that. I tell them if you look at the object ball when you shoot you will never notice it. I had some of the same comments when I went to the OB shaft about the wooden ferrulle.

uwate
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I played with the kamui clear soft for almost a year and found that they were glazing over and I was losing confidence in their ability to hold chalk and not miscue. I recently cut one off and put on a Kitech Soft which I have found really holds chalk well. The kitech soft plays more like a kamui ss though so I am going to cut that one off as well and put kitech mediums on. and the beat goes on...

DoubleA
10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Some people like them,some don't, one lasted nearly 3 wks before it was cut off and replaced by another brand. In my place, I would say "gimmick".

Blue Hog ridr
10-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I miscued more with this tip then any other I have ever owned

Funny that you should mention this Lenny.

A Freind of mine and a pretty decent player in town, a guy that can replace a tip by hand that would make any person with a lathe jealous, got one of those new Porper ferrules and a couple of the new Morikami tips.

I replaced the ferrule for him, also adding the Morikami tip.

He was all pleased as punch the first night he started using it. I ran into him for a few games last week. Before we stared playing, he said that he no longer liked this tip and that it was miscueing on him way too much.

After a few games, I had to agree with him. I would call this guy a very close Master if not at least being able to compete at that level.

So, he knows whats happening in the English department. In just a few games, it was, click, click, clickety click. Miscueing more times in a few games than most would in a year.

Not that I am comparing the quality of a Kamui tip vs a Morikami. But, they both have clear pads on them.

Coinkidink or not. Your guess is as good as any other.

Kim Bye
10-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Funny that you should mention this Lenny.

A Freind of mine and a pretty decent player in town, a guy that can replace a tip by hand that would make any person with a lathe jealous, got one of those new Porper ferrules and a couple of the new Morikami tips.

I replaced the ferrule for him, also adding the Morikami tip.

He was all pleased as punch the first night he started using it. I ran into him for a few games last week. Before we stared playing, he said that he no longer liked this tip and that it was miscueing on him way too much.

After a few games, I had to agree with him. I would call this guy a very close Master if not at least being able to compete at that level.

So, he knows whats happening in the English department. In just a few games, it was, click, click, clickety click. Miscueing more times in a few games than most would in a year.

Not that I am comparing the quality of a Kamui tip vs a Morikami. But, they both have clear pads on them.

Coinkidink or not. Your guess is as good as any other.

Those Morikami tips are just BS aren't they? A Kamui rip off with the names Mori and Kamui smoshed together...
I tried to ask Joe Barringer som questions about Morokami tips and the claims he makes about Moori tips on hes website. I just got a fairly rude reply.

Blue Hog ridr
10-01-2014, 04:00 PM
It would appear that they are just that Kim. From my one small experience with one.

It can be the quality of the tip, the pad itself or a combination of both.

I wouldn't feel the need to try a tip with a gimmicky name that was borrowed from 2 other well known tips.

Colonel
10-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Kamuis are a gimmick period IMO. I don't understand the fascination with these tips

Blue Hog ridr
10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Me neither Colonel. Altho when it comes to tips, I am not much of a Kool Aid drinker.

I would rather eat the Proof that is in the Pudding with any tip.

NitPicker
10-01-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a super soft original/tan Kamui clear on one of my cues. Although I liked the hit, it was a little disappointing at first because the it would flatten after what seemed like just a night or two of play, and would try to mushroom after reshaping it the first couple of times. But, this was several months ago and it seems to have "broken in" now. I have to reshape it more often than other tips I've used but I also generally use a medium. It seems to hit fine now but I doubt I'd buy another due to cost. The only reason I gave it a try was because I got a good deal on it when I bought the cue and got the tip replacement included for free. I also ended up getting the tip for a dollar or two below retail.

The clear pad is supposed to make installation easier/better but I can't speak to that since I didn't put in on. I don't notice any glare from lights or anything while playing but people say that while I'm holding my cue, it looks like a beam of light is radiating from my cue like a magic wand.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Kamui tips a gimmick, but imo, they're not a great value.

buddha162
10-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I have a super soft original/tan Kamui clear on one of my cues. Although I liked the hit, it was a little disappointing at first because the it would flatten after what seemed like just a night or two of play, and would try to mushroom after reshaping it the first couple of times. But, this was several months ago and it seems to have "broken in" now. I have to reshape it more often than other tips I've used but I also generally use a medium. It seems to hit fine now but I doubt I'd buy another due to cost. The only reason I gave it a try was because I got a good deal on it when I bought the cue and got the tip replacement included for free. I also ended up getting the tip for a dollar or two below retail.

The clear pad is supposed to make installation easier/better but I can't speak to that since I didn't put in on. I don't notice any glare from lights or anything while playing but people say that while I'm holding my cue, it looks like a beam of light is radiating from my cue like a magic wand.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Kamui tips a gimmick, but imo, they're not a great value.

Not a good value? You installed a SUPER SOFT tip and you're surprised that it mushroomed. I've had the same clear black medium on my cue for over a year; never picked/scuffed/shaped and it hasn't moved one micron.

The laws of physics do apply to cue tips, even Kamuis.

takeitdown
10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Those Morikami tips are just BS aren't they? A Kamui rip off with the names Mori and Kamui smoshed together...
I tried to ask Joe Barringer som questions about Morokami tips and the claims he makes about Moori tips on hes website. I just got a fairly rude reply.

They are trash.

Blue Hog ridr
10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The Laws of Physics do apply to cue tips.

Specially the Kamui SS Brown. What goes up, must come down.

I took the brown off, tossed it up and toward the garbage can in the shop.

It came down and landed perfectly in the pail.

At one time and I imagine still so, Ultra Skins were out selling Kamuis at Seyberts by a country mile.

Speaks volumes on the ever changing tip market.

At one time, Moori was the flavor of the year, then Kamui. Moori and kamui obviously still have their die hard fans which is cool.

At one time, everyone had to try a Moori and a kamui.

But, at some point, someone else comes out with a better tip and players move on.

Of course, in order to stay competitive, one tip maker has to try and come up with a New and Improved version.

God, as long as I can remember, Tide has been coming out with a New and Improved Tide at least once a year.

And to myself, that is all the Clear Pad is. A gimmick with the excuse or reasoning that all repairmen are Beeg Dummies and don't know how to properly prep and install a cue tip.

Something that players and repairmen alike have been doing for decades with lesser quality glue than available now on many different brands of cue tips.

So why all the installation fuss now. Apparently all tips have been playing like crap and falling off for the last couple or three decades.

Nope, just a last ditch attempt at trying to hold onto a share of the market.

In fact, not too long ago, didn't Kamui come out with a water proof tip. Pretty cool if yer a drooler and drool on your cue a lot.

Cardigan Kid
10-01-2014, 06:41 PM
I asked the installer for a Kamui black soft, I received a Kamui black soft clear at no extra cost because he ran out of regular. After a month of playing, and getting the tip down to the height I prefer, it plays just fine. holds its shape as the Kamui soft did before. Eventually the clear plastic fades and does not shine as it does new.

If the clear really bothered you, one could always take a black sharpe marker and darken it in.

As for the pros, I casually walked around during the turning stone to get a closer look at those who use Kamui tips, and I was surprised to see many with the clear installed. So they must not see a difference except it doesn't harden with the glue when it gets really low to the ferrul (that's the take I've heard most on the subject)

Vahmurka
10-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Acually their is real science behind the clear tip pad. It works even with normal tips. Not just Kamui.I posted before about how padded Kamui tips originated. For pool, it's just a gimmick, yes. They had to find a good reasoning behind their product, and they succeeded like they usually do. They are so skilled in promoting and advertising.

ratcues
10-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Look at it it from this angle; does it act as a glue barrier, as Kamui says? Absolutely. If this was the only concern, Kamui could have stayed with the black pad that is above the clear layer.

It is a brilliant marketing scheme. You can see that clear layer from a good ways away. It also gets people talking about it, hence this thread. I guess you can call that a "gimmick," but it is marketing.

It also combats against counterfeits. It is much more difficult to produce the knock-off. Kamui is always tweaking the design and logo so it does not benefit the large scale counterfeit operations.

Cost is a non-issue. A product is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. More players are popping for Kamui tips than any other layered tip, at the moment.

NitPicker
10-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Not a good value? You installed a SUPER SOFT tip and you're surprised that it mushroomed. I've had the same clear black medium on my cue for over a year; never picked/scuffed/shaped and it hasn't moved one micron.

The laws of physics do apply to cue tips, even Kamuis.

Lordy! You do understand value don't you? At 20+ dollars...its value is not any greater than a 50 cent tip, imo. It was the first time I used a soft or super soft and yes, I was a little surprised but I understand the physics. But the physics isn't why I wouldn't buy another, it's the cost compared to performance...ie value. Glad yours has worked well for you and you like it.

buddha162
10-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Lordy! You do understand value don't you? At 20+ dollars...its value is not any greater than a 50 cent tip, imo. It was the first time I used a soft or super soft and yes, I was a little surprised but I understand the physics. But the physics isn't why I wouldn't buy another, it's the cost compared to performance...ie value. Glad yours has worked well for you and you like it.

My point was any tip labeled "super soft" will mushroom. If longevity is a factor in your perceived value, don't install jello tips.

buddha162
10-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Look at it it from this angle; does it act as a glue barrier, as Kamui says? Absolutely. If this was the only concern, Kamui could have stayed with the black pad that is above the clear layer.

Ryan, Kamui made many claims on the Clear literature but to me the gluing issue is the only valid one.

Question: what do you think about their claim that the clear material was chosen for its superior gluing properties? In addition to acting as a wicking barrier, that is.

Chris Byrne
10-04-2014, 12:08 AM
FWIW I work out of Felt poolhall in denver by appt. If you need someone in denver who stocks Moori and Kamui tips. 720 206 4034

The Renfro
10-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Outsville will be introducing Ki-Tech Blue after the open.... I figure if people look around the room they will be able to tell our tips from the others by the blue disc and it makes for a better substrate for applying glue...

I am only half way kidding....

Chris

JB Cases
10-04-2014, 01:51 AM

It is a brilliant marketing scheme. You can see that clear layer from a good ways away. It also gets people talking about it, hence this thread. I guess you can call that a "gimmick," but it is marketing.

It also combats against counterfeits. It is much more difficult to produce the knock-off. Kamui is always tweaking the design and logo so it does not benefit the large scale counterfeit operations.

Cost is a non-issue. A product is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. More players are popping for Kamui tips than any other layered tip, at the moment.

FWIW and FYI - In China it's cheap and quick to duplicate any logo and look. Putting a disc of acrylic on the bottom of a tip and a logo on top is one of the easier things. Getting the same quality in between those two things is really the question.

As for it being a marketing gimmick? Probably partially. I mean the acrylic doesn't have to be clear, it could be any color. What I am impressed with is that they keep pushing the envelope and coming up with things to make us think about whether those things are really an improvement or not.

JB Cases
10-04-2014, 01:53 AM
Outsville will be introducing Ki-Tech Blue after the open.... I figure if people look around the room they will be able to tell our tips from the others by the blue disc and it makes for a better substrate for applying glue...

I am only half way kidding....

Chris

I thought we were going to do the Ki-Teck Spit. You know where we provide a tiny bottle of genuine spit to put between the ferrule and the tip because of the extra bonding properties in human saliva. Don't hang me out here man......

The Renfro
10-04-2014, 01:59 AM
I thought we were going to do the Ki-Teck Spit. You know where we provide a tiny bottle of genuine spit to put between the ferrule and the tip because of the extra bonding properties in human saliva. Don't hang me out here man......

good god John... I could only hear every other word coming out of veri high son... I am relieved you said spit... I thought you had said &*^% and that only has bonding properites in certain sub culture sets. mainly in Germany.....

Chris

Bavafongoul
10-04-2014, 02:27 AM
I suppose it's always to each their own....don't ya think? I mean it's basically the same thing with pool cues and cue-makers. We all can't and genuinely don't agree on which cue-maker makes the best hitting cue or the darn prettiest version. Having said that, I think the Kamui Clear is the best tip I've used. I was previously was playing Kamui Black (medium) on all my pool cues. The tips glazed way too fast and thus frequent, albeit very light, scuffing was needed.

I buy all my Kamui Clear tips from Shooter08 and Tom is a great guy. I've bought five tips so far and will order more again probably before year end. I switched to Kamui Black Clear in soft hardness rating and also got one super soft version. The super soft is like a gun with a silencer and feels great with my cue's ivory ferrules which make a different acoustical sound now which sounds cool. But the Kamui Black Clear (soft hardness) is definitely my favorite tip to play with.

The feel and sound of the Kamui Black Clear is great and even better, the glazing problem isn't an issue. Light scuffing raises the leather's surface just enough to accept chalk perfectly with just light brushes of the chalk.....I mean some fools out there still like to core their pool chalk.....duh? Anyway, back to the tips......The Kamui Clear in Black with soft hardness rating is what I've recommended to my buddies. Bob Owen installed these tips on 5 shafts for 2 pool cues this past April & May and Jerry Rauenzahn will also be using Kamui Black Clear for my cue that's on track for next March.

My testimonial is based upon actual experience playing many hours of pool using these tips and I'd really like to have Kamui Black Clear tips on all my other cues as well. Kamui Clear play really well but I recommend you go down in hardness rating at least one level from what you now play with. Try it some time and see for yourself and I recommend the soft hardness as your first attempt with Kamui Clear.

Matt B.

RiverCity
10-04-2014, 02:35 AM
I suppose it's always to each their own....don't ya think? I mean it's basically the same thing with pool cues and cue-makers. We all can't, and genuinely don't ,agree on which cue-maker makes the best hitting or darn prettiest cue. Having said that, I think the Kamui Clear is the best tip I've used. I was previously was playing Kamui Black (medium) on all my pool cues. The tips glazed way too fast and thus frequent, albeit very light, scuffing was needed.

I buy all my Kamui Clear tips from Shooter08 and Tom is a great guy. I've bought five tips so far and will order more again probably before year end. I switched to Kamui Black Clear in soft hardness rating and also got one super soft version. The super soft is like a gun with a silencer and feels great with my cue's ivory ferrules which make a different acoustical sound now which sounds cool. But the Kamui Black Clear (soft hardness) is definitely my favorite tip to play with.

The feel and sound of the Kamui Black Clear is great and even better, the glazing problem isn't an issue. Light scuffing raises the leather's surface just enough to accept chalk perfectly with just light brushes of the chalk.....I mean some fools out there still like to core their pool chalk.....duh? Anyway, back to the tips......The Kamui Clear in Black with soft hardness rating is what I've recommended to my buddies. I had Bob Owen install five tips on two cues this past April & May and Jerry R. will do the same when he finishes my cue next year.

My endorsement is based upon actual experience using these tips and I'd like to have them on all my other cues as well. Kamui Clear play really well but I recommend you go down in hardness rating at least one level from what you now play with. Try it some time and see for yourself and I recommend the soft hardness as your first try with Kamui Clear.

I had a clear ss put on some months back, and I can honestly say its the closest tip to the orginal mooris that I have tried. Doesnt mushroom or lose its shape at all, and plays closer to a medium than a soft, much less super soft IMO.
Chuck

NitPicker
10-04-2014, 11:56 AM
My point was any tip labeled "super soft" will mushroom. If longevity is a factor in your perceived value, don't install jello tips.

Your point is noted. However, none of my comments insinuated otherwise. I always said cost was the reason I wouldn't buy another. I mentioned the mushrooming initially because as others, I had experienced it and like someone mentioned, it does seem to "break in" (get harder) eventually. I said mine now plays fine and I'll go as far now to say it plays great, imo. But twenty bucks is twenty bucks and I can't justify the cost difference in other tips I've used. I can't justify the chalk for the same reason, but that's just me. Yourself and others may, and that's great. My experience and opinion that I wrote was never intended to contradict any of your or anyone else's personal experiences or opinions.

For the record, I do have a Kamui black (not clear) S that someone gave to me that I will use eventually. I'm pretty sure that one will be a great value.

buddha162
10-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Your point is noted. However, none of my comments insinuated otherwise. I always said cost was the reason I wouldn't buy another. I mentioned the mushrooming initially because as others, I had experienced it and like someone mentioned, it does seem to "break in" (get harder) eventually. I said mine now plays fine and I'll go as far now to say it plays great, imo. But twenty bucks is twenty bucks and I can't justify the cost difference in other tips I've used. I can't justify the chalk for the same reason, but that's just me. Yourself and others may, and that's great. My experience and opinion that I wrote was never intended to contradict any of your or anyone else's personal experiences or opinions.

For the record, I do have a Kamui black (not clear) S that someone gave to me that I will use eventually. I'm pretty sure that one will be a great value.

Since we're beating the second horse to death:

I read your value statement as inherent to Kamui's super soft tip vs. others, but if your main gripe is with longevity in a super soft tip than Kamui's value is exactly the same as any other mushy tip that doesn't last very long.

If you're talking about the cost of Kamuis in general, then sure: your perceived value is dependent on a host of factors and more than valid.

NitPicker
10-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Since we're beating the second horse to death:

I read your value statement as inherent to Kamui's super soft tip vs. others, but if you're main gripe is with longevity in a super soft tip than Kamui's value is exactly the same as any other mushy tip that doesn't last very long.

If you're talking about the cost of Kamuis in general, then sure: your perceived value is dependent on a host of factors and more than valid.

LOL! I don't beat horses. I'm just going to ride out on the one I rode in on. You'll have to find something else to do.

Lou Bones
03-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Last night was the first time in my life that I ever played with a Kamui tip. I just bought an OB Classic+ and had them install a Kamui Clear Black Soft on it. I received it the other day and played with it for the first time last night. It came "shaped", but didn't quite look right to me, so I took out my shaper and reshaped it. It still didn't look right to me, but I chalked it up and shot a little with it. Then wiped the chalk off and reshaped it again.

The texture of this Kamui Clear Black Soft tip is very different than the texture of the Tiger Everest that I used on other cues/shafts. Your (and other) comments caution that the hardness level of a Soft will be more like other brands' mediums, so I expected it to me a little harder than it is; it felt to me like a medium soft tip.

Your comment is the only one I've seen that specifically talks about the importance of shaping it "correctly". I've shaped all my tips before and never had any trouble doing so, but am wondering if maybe because this tip is a little softer, it's different. What do you do to shape yours? (I have a couple of tip shaping tools, but the one I have been using is the "Ultimate" tip shaping tool. And I prefer a dime shape.)

Lou Bones
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
After playing with it a few more days, it's perfect. This is a wonderful tip! I love it. It is different than what I was used to, but it is excellent. I don't know what I was doing wrong the first time I tried to shape it, but I haven't had to do anything to it since then but chalk it up and play. It holds chalk wonderfully and I'm loving this tip. The combination of this Kamui Clear Black Soft tip on my OB Classic+ shaft is awesome.

Colonel
03-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Try a G2, never look back

Rain-Man
03-12-2015, 03:01 PM

As much as I love the Kamui Black tips, I now use a (hard) G2. Just simply the best tips out there (and I'm a dealer for both).

bbb
03-12-2015, 03:01 PM

What he said

Sealegs50
03-13-2015, 06:19 AM
After they stopped making the Moori III Quick, I went through a bit of trial and error finding a replacement. My current favorite is G2 Hard. But I also really like Kamui Clear Black Medium. I don't think you can go wrong with either if you like hard tips. Very good production quality and very consistent tip-to-tip performance. I can't say that the clear pad adds anything to the feel of a Kamui. But I use ivory ferrules and don't feel the need for a fiber pad with the Kamui Clear.

jayman
03-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Hi All,

First off, thank you all for some really informative answers. I was afraid this would get into a "I use this tip, yada, yada."

Well, the die is cast. I just got back from dropping off my Schon/Predator/314/2 with a place in Lakewood, Co. called Best Billiards. http://www.bestqualitybilliards.com/?gclid=CJODtY-A_LsCFecRMwodBiAABw

Their cue-smith seemed really knowledgeable so I'm having this tip installed and he's also doing a complete refurbishment. Claims it'll be as new when I pick it up in a couple days.

A special note to those of you who are able to serve the Denver area. Get your name or site on to the google search engine. It was like pulling teeth to find someone in this pool crazy Denver area to do my tip. Advertise, and get your name out there. I had two alternative sources. One guy didn't even have a cue lathe, and the other didn't even have voice mail so I could leave a message.

Perhaps this area exists, but if it doesn't, maybe fellow members could post their web sites, or services in a separate section. I'd sure like to give my business to fellow AZ members.

Thanks again for all the members who took the time to help a guy out!!! :thumbup:

This guy is pretty good. :)

Ernie Martinez Custom Cues
1000 E. 73rd Ave.
Unit 12
Denver, CO 80229

info@emcues.com

JoeyA
03-13-2015, 10:13 AM
This guy is pretty good. :)

Ernie Martinez Custom Cues
1000 E. 73rd Ave.
Unit 12
Denver, CO 80229

info@emcues.com

Oh wow. I didn't know Ernie lived in Denver. I visited there several months ago and would loved to have visited his shop.

Maybe next time.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Rain-Man
03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Oh wow. I didn't know Ernie lived in Denver. I visited there several months ago and would loved to have visited his shop.

Maybe next time.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Hi Joey,

I was in Buffalo Billiards a few weeks ago, pretty late on a Saturday night, I asked Richie Richieson about you. He said you were usually there during the day, but I was leaving the next day so I couldnt make it back..

Lost a few $50 races to 5 with Richie, but had a good time doing it..

P.S.- Did the 2 younger fellas end up playing that 1 hole set the next day (Sunday)? I think Richie said they were playing for 6K or something..?

Rain-Man
03-13-2015, 02:02 PM
After they stopped making the Moori III Quick, I went through a bit of trial and error finding a replacement. My current favorite is G2 Hard. But I also really like Kamui Clear Black Medium. I don't think you can go wrong with either if you like hard tips. Very good production quality and very consistent tip-to-tip performance. I can't say that the clear pad adds anything to the feel of a Kamui. But I use ivory ferrules and don't feel the need for a fiber pad with the Kamui Clear.

I think I recommended that tip to you and sold it to you :thumbup:

JoeyA
03-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Sorry I missed you. Tell the bartender or the owner to give me a ring anytime you are in town.

Yes the two younger guys played two sets for 5K each. It took a while but the younger of the two young guys won.

JoeyA

Hi Joey,

I was in Buffalo Billiards a few weeks ago, pretty late on a Saturday night, I asked Richie Richieson about you. He said you were usually there during the day, but I was leaving the next day so I couldnt make it back..

Lost a few $50 races to 5 with Richie, but had a good time doing it..

P.S.- Did the 2 younger fellas end up playing that 1 hole set the next day (Sunday)? I think Richie said they were playing for 6K or something..?

Sealegs50
03-14-2015, 06:02 AM
I think I recommended that tip to you and sold it to you :thumbup:

tips

Yes, you did for the G2s and the Kamui.

SilverCue
03-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Try wiziard tips

http://www.muellers.com/Wizard-Laminated-Cue-Tip,2510.html
http://www.cuecomponents.com/wizardtips.html

I've tried Kamui's but I love medium Wizards.

KMRUNOUT
03-14-2015, 11:30 AM
I have to agree, Terry. It seems this product is one created to "fix a problem that doesn't exist." I have never seen a cue repairman worth his salt mount a tip cockeyed or tilted. Amateurs? Sure. Cue repairman in the business, day in and day out? No.

And this idea of glue wicking into the bottom layers -- isn't glue *supposed* to do that, for adhesion purposes? I don't know, I've always been of the impression that glue on any porous surface (as leather is) is supposed to lightly wick into the surface -- think roots of a plant growing into the earth -- to "grab" the material tightly. And it's not like the CA glue is going to completely saturate those layers where they become as hard as the glue itself. Kamui makes it out like if one or two layers become as hard as the glue, that it takes away from the whole tip.

Last I looked, layered tips:

Have their layers glued together to begin with. So between that first layer and the second layer, you already have a non-porous "glue barrier" against the CA glue you're using to glue the tip with. That CA is not going to wick past that first layer.
Are at least five layers thick. Some are seven or more. Even if that first layer is completely compromised by glue wicking (which would have to be literally soaked), you still have at least four layers of good tip material left.

The idea that inconsistencies in how a repairman glues a tip on is going to be removed with this "clear" barrier is, IMHO, nonsense. A repairman that does a shoddy glue job on regular layered tips can just as easily do a shoddy glue job with this Kamui Clear product. It's just marketing.

The tip material itself (the part past that clear layer) is a different matter. That can be a good tip, and I imagine the leather product Kamui uses is. I just don't buy this marketing about the clear layer.

Having said all that, if Kamui is making a product that is popular and makes the company successful, I'm for it, because we need successes in pool. I'm just not a fan of the "eating your own children" style of marketing, and so I think for myself and make my own choices.

-Sean

Sean,

The concept that you and others are missing is "consistency". Is glue supposed to wick into the layers of leather? Probably. But how much? How does the way I prepare the glue surface of a tip differ from the next installer. Everyone has their own method. As such, everyone will have a *different* amount of glue wicking. Different glues too don't forget. The clear layer essentially eliminates that inconsistency. Glue doesn't "wick" up into the polycarbonate. The result is a more consistenly performing tip.

I personally find that the hit of the clear tips is slightly different. I prefer it. It feels more solid somehow. I'm not talking a big difference. But enough for me to notice.

I don't ever remember hearing Kamui pitch the clear as a way to combat crooked installs. I have however had conversations with John Bertone in which he specifically said exactly what I have said here, and only that.

Does this perhaps make more sense to you?

KMRUNOUT

Bavafongoul
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
I have more than 50 years of playing pool under my belt........and probably 45 years of buying & selling cues and experimenting with tips.

It's been written that original Moori brown tips are the best.......if it wasn't, then allow me to go on record they were......#1.

The current Moori tips just aren't the same & although it's undoubtedly a good tip, it disappoints versus the original brown Moori tips that are impossible to find and the new Moori tips are not my cup of tea.

I switched to playing Kamui Black medium starting in 2010 and installed them on all my cues. Then I ordered a couple of custom cues and was unsuccessful locating any original Moori brown tips for my two cue-makers. I was going to default to the Kamui Black again but consulted with Tom (Shooter 08) about Kamui Clear.

I am so glad I did that.......the issues with glazing really improved with the Kamui Clear series but the best part is Tom helped me decide to change hardness from medium to soft in the Kamui Clear series. In fact the switch was so pleasant and better, I also tried Kamui Clear super soft as well.

Well, the bottom line is my Prewitt cue has original Moori brown tips and I wish all my cues did. Anyway, since that's not possible and the current Moori tips aren't to my liking, then it's Kamui Clear tips for all my cues. And since all my cues have more than one shaft, every cue has a soft and super soft Kamui Clear tips.......I have two more stunning pool cues being made right now that will be completed next Spring. Until something better comes along, I am strictly sticking with Kamui Clear tips for my pool cues.

Matt B.