PDA

View Full Version : Any of you play better mad?

m79a
01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
I have shot some of my best pool pissed at the guy I'm playing against. I'm gonna have to start dreaming up stuff that I think guys have done to me before I play, like some football players do.

Maniac
01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
I have been known to play a bit better when mad. Not "irate" mad...just a little miffed at someone's poor sportsmanship.

I was playing an APA SL6 in an 8-ball match a couple months ago. He was one of those cocky, arrogant, "I'm God's gift to pool" kind of guys. After I won the first rack and handed him my two quarters for the bar box, I made a harmless comment about something that I did during the last rack...and he just scowled at me as if he was saying (without saying anything): "Don't talk to me".

I went on to beat him five straight games in very short innings for a Rackless Night.

Maniac

DAVE_M
01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Define mad? Mad like Earl or do you mean angry? lol :thumbup:

I usually do play better when I'm a little ticked off, but I play even better when I'm in a good mood and catch a gear.

FairladyZ
01-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Define mad?
Indeed....

A little peeved/mildly upset/agitated, yea, I play better....but something that's got me angry, my mind won't be in the game, and I won't be able to concentrate at all...hence, that's not the time to shoot pool.

Cdryden
01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I guess for most it would depend on what level of anger you are talking about. If you get so mad it raises your adrenaline level to the point where your muscles are tense and your hands shake, then I would say no, it doesn't make you play better.

If you are only mad to the point where it sharpens your focus and makes you determined than I would say yes.

Celophanewrap
01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't necessarily have to be mad at the person I'm playing, just a little pissed at something. I think it makes you a bit more focused. But don't confuse mad with worried or concerned, like you might be mad because your significant other is stepping out on you but you're also concerned or worried about that. That's like spreading the mind too thin

JBB2388
01-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah I do seem to play better when I'm agitated about something. Most times it seems that when I'm playing poorly, not getting the rolls or if my opponent is a jerk it causes me to increase my focus and make me play a little better. Our team captain has even pointed out that I have won every single match without fail that I have dropped the first rack in. My teammates have joked that I should spot each opponent the first rack. :D

KoolKat9Lives
01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
It absolutely can have the affect of inhibiting doubt.

Before I play I look at a picture of Dean Wormer that I keep in my case. And I remember when he put me on double secret probation for falsely thinking I took liberties with his daughter. It gets my blood boiling to 211 degrees. I'm not an animal! :grin-square:

staypuff578
01-13-2014, 12:46 PM
If i'm even one bit of mad, angry, upset...... that's it, game is down the crapper. Focus goes out the window, concentration too. I rarely get upset at pool as it is, I mean hell, professionals miss shots, so why should I get upset about a shot I missed or being hooked? As JohnnyT said, pool is a very hard game.

On another note, I am prescribed adderol, so I'm always focused and calm while shooting, It's almost an unfair advantage (if I actually knew how to win lol)

ceodynamo
01-13-2014, 12:53 PM
A few years ago during the 8ball 5 man team local tournament we have here in Ardmore.

We were having to play a team that had beaten us all year. We were already on the 1 loss side, And it was then and there that I told my self "its time to beat these guys!"

I pulled my weight and shot 3 ERO's to rack up a 30-1 point deficit on my matches.

Needless to say we won the match and went on to double dip the hot seat team and take 1st!

Thats one I will never forget.

ceodynamo
01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
On another note, I am prescribed adderol, so I'm always focused and calm while shooting, It's almost an unfair advantage (if I actually knew how to win lol)

I am prescribed adderol but I don't always use when Im shooting. I like to take it on the 2nd day and 3rd, 4th day etc of tournaments to keep my focus for the long haul.

staypuff578
01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
I am prescribed adderol but I don't always use when Im shooting. I like to take it on the 2nd day and 3rd, 4th day etc of tournaments to keep my focus for the long haul.

That's a good idea, I've been prescribed it since it was 17 so I never really haven't taken it. I'm just always in a zone daily, shooting pool or not, never thought to strategically take it to help focus on my games or down the road.

Celtic
01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
On another note, I am prescribed adderol, so I'm always focused and calm while shooting, It's almost an unfair advantage (if I actually knew how to win lol).

Adderall has very different effects for those that actually need it and those that don't. If you actually need it then the benefits you get from it are simply making things a level playing field.

Tell me this, how do you sense the passage of time when you are on it compared to when you are not? Does time seem to go faster or slower or do you not notice much of a difference either way?

staypuff578
01-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Adderall has very different effects for those that actually need it and those that don't. If you actually need it then the benefits you get from it are simply making things a level playing field.

Tell me this, how do you sense the passage of time when you are on it compared to when you are not? Does time seem to go faster or slower or do you not notice much of a difference either way?

Time seems normal for me, I take it twice a day, and as you said it gives me a level playing field. I'm just focused and concentrated on anything I do. It started with me in school when I wasn't able to hold solid grades due to lack of focus and everything that goes along with it. Since being diagnosed with inattentive ADHD and prescribed adderol, everything seems a ok.

rellek
01-13-2014, 01:14 PM
My dad plays really well when something gets him mad at his opponent.

osama
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM
I play much worse when I'm mad, especially when I'm mad about my own game. This is one of my biggest weakest point.

I believe this is strongly related to how people learned their game; guys who trained in their own man cave will most likely need to stay calm while players who grow up playing for money or competitively will most likely play better under stress.

gdc25
01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
In every sport I've ever competed!!! Unfortunately it doesn't last.

-- A year or two ago, I was playing a league match (8-ball) where the other team threw off... one of the team mates of the person I was playing was telling the player which ball to shoot next... Irritated me a bit, rather put me in "the zone" to where I could actually see lines on the table for the patterns I needed to run.

-- Just last week (league play again).. a guy I've played with/against a thousand times was playing make one hide one against me in a match that meant nothing. Irritated me enough that once again I went into the Zone and could see those lines on the table during my 8-ball match (that did mean something.)

nick serdula
01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Rocker especially.
Nick :)

krupa
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
I shoot best when the only thing I'm aware of is the table. If I'm mad/angry/upset/etc. it means I'm thinking about other things and not playing pool.

easy-e
01-13-2014, 02:55 PM
I played a dude in a tourney at Grady's about 4 or 5 years ago, bar table 9 ball. Guys name was Tom something, from Texas. It was like 2-2 going to 9 games when he complained about the way I was racking for him. I asked what was wrong since he made a ball every other time he broke. He said I was racking them "high". I offered to let him rack his own and he said "I'd rather you just rack them without cheating". That bothered me, since I've never considered cheating. I don't think I missed another ball from there and I beat him 9-4. I'm getting pissed just thinking about thy d-bag.

Black-Balled
01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
It absolutely can have the affect of inhibiting doubt.

Before I play I look at a picture of Dean Wormer that I keep in my case. And I remember when he put me on double secret probation for falsely thinking I took liberties with his daughter. It gets my blood boiling to 211 degrees. I'm not an animal! :grin-square:

What the hell are we supposed to do, yo mo-Ron?

(Toga...toga...toga)

Black-Balled
01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
. I'm getting pissed just thinking about thy d-bag.

Pervert. Don't yo be worrying bout my dbag

justadub
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I don't do well when angry, most times....

scsuxci
01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I have shot some of my best pool pissed at the guy I'm playing against. I'm gonna have to start dreaming up stuff that I think guys have done to me before I play, like some football players do.

My line is to thin. 20 years ago I was gambling and the guy I was playing used both
his hands and I was playing one-handed.
As the night went on, I was up close to a grand playing barbox 8ball.Well, after about
8 straight hours of playing, the stakes went up but my arm was getting sore and could
feel it trembling, due to fatigue.
I started missing easy shots but kept winning.Everything was getting harder to do and
my focus started going down the toilet as well.
I remember losing 3 games in a row, and on the 4th game I jarred the 8ball in the corner.I proceeded to whacking myself in the head with my cue which hurt like
a ***** but I had to wake up.
He missed his run out and I got up to shoot the eight and almost fell over
from dizziness.As I bent down to pot the eight, I seen a drop of blood land on the cloth.
I had to quit playing that night as I split my head open just above my hairline.
After that night I thought if I don't tone it down about a 100 notches,I'm just going
to quit playing.Needless to say I've toned it down about 50:eek::)

sr 9ball
01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
When I get very upset at my opponent. I seem to fall into dead stroke. I Don't know what happens but my focus is unbelievable.
On the other hand. A friend who's a master in the bca, falls apart when he gets pissed.

lorider
01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
i posted this story before but i believe it fits this thread.

i made my 1st trip to vegas this year. there was only 5 of us on the team that could make the trip. 2 girls one is a 2 and the other a 3. 2 other guys both 4's plus myself a 5.

in out 1st round the 2 girls played at their best but the 2 guys absolutely sucked. they both has that deer in the headlights look and made stupid mistakes. after 4 matches we are down 48-32. i was pissed at our 2 guys and took it out on my opponent ''another 5;; winning 38-4. 1st time i have ever skunked an opponent and we won 52-48.

our next round pretty much the same thing ...me playing last and winning against another 5 18-2.

next round i faced a 7. he is up 18-0 before i ever get to the table. he broke and ran the 1st rack . ran to the 9 2nd rack before he missed. from that point on i matched him point for point scoring 36 to his 37 before he reached his required points and me losing only needing 2 after being down 18-0.

next round i just gave up and felt like i was fighting a lost cause for this team and i lost to a 3 lol.

bottom line is i was highly upset at my teamates and that lit a fire in me along with a few jack and cokes and i played the best i ever have.

wish i could play at the level every week. :(

Blue Hog ridr
01-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Dean Wormer

No way man. I went to Dean Martinos school of Italian Coolness.

I think most will agree that playing mad is not good and being able to keep your cool is the best way to go.

Altho, in the past there has been a bit of personal history behind the odd opponent and it gives me nothing but pleasure to beat them handily.

The odd player will do something early in the game to tick me off and a bit of steam coming out of my ears will give me a small edge and the incentive to crush them.

But hey, in the long run, calm, cool and collected will win the race.

liakos
01-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I play well when I'm depressed! I hate being depressed, but I like how I play when I am!

justadub
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
I play well when I'm depressed! I hate being depressed, but I like how I play when I am!

Damn, if that worked for me I'd be unbeatable! :p

thefonz
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Mad at the guy personally? No I generally play worse.
Mad as in kill mode on the pool table? I'll play better than my usual game.

pt109
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
My line is to thin. 20 years ago I was gambling and the guy I was playing used both
his hands and I was playing one-handed.
As the night went on, I was up close to a grand playing barbox 8ball.Well, after about
8 straight hours of playing, the stakes went up but my arm was getting sore and could
feel it trembling, due to fatigue.
I started missing easy shots but kept winning.Everything was getting harder to do and
my focus started going down the toilet as well.
I remember losing 3 games in a row, and on the 4th game I jarred the 8ball in the corner.I proceeded to whacking myself in the head with my cue which hurt like
a ***** but I had to wake up.
He missed his run out and I got up to shoot the eight and almost fell over
from dizziness.As I bent down to pot the eight, I seen a drop of blood land on the cloth.
I had to quit playing that night as I split my head open just above my hairline.
After that night I thought if I don't tone it down about a 100 notches,I'm just going
to quit playing.Needless to say I've toned it down about 50:eek::)

I tried to rep you for this, 'Stan :)' but AZ wouldn't let me....
....wth :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

To play your best, you should be serene....then you can see what you MUST do.
If you're mad, you tend to do what ever you WANT to do......

I knew an old-time boxer who was all forces boxing champion in WW11.
He said that he never got mad in the ring...couldn't afford to.

Txstang1
01-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I play much worse when I'm mad, especially when I'm mad about my own game. This is one of my biggest weakest point.

I believe this is strongly related to how people learned their game; guys who trained in their own man cave will most likely need to stay calm while players who grow up playing for money or competitively will most likely play better under stress.When i play bad i get mad at myself and i start playing better. I was down 3-0 in a match yesterday and won 6-3. Unfortunately/fortunately I'm a slow starter so i play most of my matches mad. :wink:

cuesblues
01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
I play a little better when I'm mad, especially when my opponents entourage is trying to shark me.
I definitely break better when I'm mad><:mad: