PDA

View Full Version : Progressive 9-ball drill ~ 2 versions, which do you like the best?

JimmyWhite
01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I got 2 versions of a progressive rotation drill that I'd like to share with you:

1) You throw 3 balls at the table, and you have to run them in numerical order. Repeat after the run-out (throw 3 other balls) and if you manage to run out 3 times in a row, you progress to 4 balls. You do the same and you progress to 5, then 6 etc.

2)You throw 3 balls at the table, and you want to run them in numerical order. This time, you aim for the absolutely perfect positioning in each ball: The one with the perfect angle for the next ball so you dont have to do anything fancy, while trying to have a nice comfortable distance from the object ball and so on...well, just perfect positioning. If you play all shots with perfect position in each one, you gain 1 point. We suppose that in another run-out, you get out of position even once, like too far from the object ball, too straight, or land for a completely different pocket than the one intended, or even if you land on the object ball in the opposite angle from the one intended (You make a plan in your mind about each position and it must be exactly the same with the one played).

Anyway, if you get out of position even once but manage to run out, you gain 0 points.

If you miss a ball, you lose 1 point.

If you accumulate 3 points, you add a ball (just like before). If you get to -1, you get demoted and now throw out a ball less and start again with 0 points. And so forth.

=====

Which one you think is the best? I think the second one is a little bit too difficult, or maybe even obsessive over positioning, but in the end, from my point of view, this is how you should aim to play 9-ball. Which one would you prefer to practice?

BeiberLvr
01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
The 1st one. Getting perfect shape is nice and all, but not always necessary when playing 9ball. It's more about zones unless you need to have the right angle to break up a cluster or the zone you're playing for is very small.

RFranklin
01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
The first one. Too many rules in number 2 and I don't like keeping "score" for my drills.