PDA

View Full Version : TAR Podcast for TAR 38 with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo This Thursday

JCIN
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/11949938325_6e14feefae_o.jpg

TAR 38 Podcast this Thursday night at 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo live in the studio to answer your questions. I'm going try and get the commentators for TAR 38 Jay Helfert and Robert LeBlanc to sit in as well.

If you have any questions for the players post them up and I will do my best to get to them Thursday night. TAR 38 match begins Friday at 8PM E/5PM P with One Pocket race to 7. The podcast will be live at www.theactionreport.com .

Match info and scheduling is here. (http://theactionreport.com/tar-38-appleton-vs-orcollo/)

Links to purchase the match are here. (http://theactionreport.com/seating/)

kollegedave
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Justin,

I think this question (in some form or another) has been asked before, but I am interested to know what Darren and Dennis think was most useful in causing their game to improve once they had reached the level of an accomplished amateur.

I think the most common answer I get to this question is that good players try and stay in action with better players. I would like know if they agree, or was there something else, which helped to polish their game.

Thank you for soliciting our questions.

kollegedave

jhanso18
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Can you ask Darren if he will be giving Dennis a ride back to LA afterward??? :D

Can you ask them what their personal thoughts are on the state of pro pool for the next year?

Since the American Pro Pool scene seems to be thin this next year, what are they planning to do, to keep in influx of money?

I would also like to know if either value a legacy in the pool world. Do they care what us common folk will think of them when they are Efren's age?

What did each think of the China Open? (If either of them were there. I don't remember.)

Where is there favorite place to play? Town, pool hall, & table if possible?

Can you ask Darren and Dennis to play a quick frame of Bonus Ball? I'd like to clock Dennis's speed. I might be recruiting for a future expansion team. I think Dennis could make the cut! :cool:

Thanks Justin!!!

prad
01-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I have a few questions :-
1). Who gave Darren the nickname "dynamite" ??
3). Does Dennis have a nickname ??
4). Is there any shot that they find most difficult to execute ? for example shooting a deep cut or a ball frozen to rail or shooting a shot when cue is elevated ?
5). Thoughts on jump cues ??
6). Are they both using low deflection shaft ??
7). What is their favorite game to play ?
8). Whats the biggest spot they have given to their opponent and still came out as a winner ?
9). What's the longest session of pool (gamble / practice) they have played without getting any sleep ?
10). To Darren, is he living in US now ?
11). What table size they prefer ? 9ft or the bar box ? or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks to Justin for doing this.

IcedVeins
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
what was the moment you knew you could compete at the highest level in pool?

Mr. Bond
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
To either player:

Will you win the match?
And
What do you feel is your strength on the table
And
What do you feel is your opponents weakness

BeiberLvr
01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I have a few questions :-
1). Who gave Darren the nickname "dynamite" ??
3). Does Dennis have a nickname ??
4). Is there any shot that they find most difficult to execute ? for example shooting a deep cut or a ball frozen to rail or shooting a shot when cue is elevated ?
5). Thoughts on jump cues ??
6). Are they both using low deflection shaft ??
7). What is their favorite game to play ?
8). Whats the biggest spot they have given to their opponent and still came out as a winner ?
9). What's the longest session of pool (gamble / practice) they have played without getting any sleep ?
10). To Darren, is he living in US now ?
11). What table size they prefer ? 9ft or the bar box ? or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks to Justin for doing this.

Dennis' nickname is Robocop

jhanso18
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Dennis' nickname is Robocop

I thought it was "King Kong"?

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that to. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Dennis's nick name as far as I could tell is Robocop. Why do they call him Robocop? (I assume because he shoots like a robot and never misses, but you never know.)

JCIN
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that too. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Dennis's nick name as far as I could tell is Robocop. Why do they call him Robocop? (I assume because he shoots like a robot and never misses, but you never know.)

The King Kong story is that there is a player in LA called King Kong (Bernardo Chavez is I think his name. LA people help me out here).

The way Shane tells the story he walked up to him and said "Hey King Kong wanna play Godzilla?"

One of my favorite SVB stories.

justadub
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Do they like the 10' table matches?

How much or how often do they practice these days, for how long at a time, and how do they practice?

Other than each other, who do they like to play the most, and why?

As others have said, thanks for doing these podcasts, Justin, and thanks to the players and everyone else who participated. This is really good stuff...

JCIN
01-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Robert Leblanc and Jay Helfert will be in the house for the podcast as well so if anyone has any questions for them I will ask them.

JumpinJoe
01-15-2014, 04:18 AM

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that to. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Yes, like j.c. Said.
King Kong is Bernardo Chaves nickname.

jhanso18
01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes, like j.c. Said.
King Kong is Bernardo Chaves nickname.

I kinda like the sound of "Shane "Godzilla" BanBoening"...

StraightPoolIU
01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Right before a match what do the players like to do to warm up if it's like the first match of the day and they feel they need to take a few minutes to get in stroke before they play?

PETROBOY
01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
I'd like to see a what's in the case with a look at their cues and what kind of tips they have on their playing and break cues and what other goodies they carry with them to play this kind of match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

arps
01-15-2014, 08:10 AM
ask dennis what he felt when he first fought Efren and lost 25-8.

Vahmurka
01-16-2014, 08:41 AM
* * * how much does Darren use SEE aiming system (he promotes one) - is it on every shot, or maybe some thin cuts only, or certain cut shots? I means he's been hittin'em pretty good already by the time Ekkes introduced his aiming system.

* * *which tip does Dennis Orcollo use now? Heard it used to be ZAN at one moment. But I know he also tried some other brands.

* * *the story is that Dennis' last name is Orcullo but it spells Orcollo because of some passport mistake. Why didn't he just change the papers?

* * *please ask Daz to show some more good drills for improving a) shotmaking and b) cue ball positioning. Last time he was there with Shaw and Alcano, it was a treasurous advice from him. With a couple of drills only.

StraightPoolIU
01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
This thread deserves a bump with the podcast being tonight. Also, are they both going to Derby and going to play in the banks? What do they think about bank pool?

prad
01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
More questions :-
1). What is the best advise they ever got regarding pool ?
2). Did they ever had an pool idol in their early days ? or may be they still have one ?
3). Now they have 10 ft table, may be next there will be 11ft. ? where is the stopping point ? why don't play pool on the snooker table ? What's their opinion on increasing the table size ?
4). When playing shape do they prefer to do it with English on the cue ball or they would rather play center ball ? For example I think earl likes to spin the cue ball, what do you guys like ?

PETROBOY
01-16-2014, 11:14 AM
What is their favorite pool hall to play at or place to play? anywhere in the world.

prad
01-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Robert Leblanc and Jay Helfert will be in the house for the podcast as well so if anyone has any questions for them I will ask them.

Jay has been around the pro caliber players for a long time. My question to him is : -
1). In his opinion is there a common factor, or thing that all pro players have ?
2). If an amateur is trying to be a pro what is one thing that he/she should absolutely do ?
3). IMO Filipino pool players for quite a while have dominated this game ? What are the pointers that we all can take from Filipino pool players, if any?

For Robert :-
1). If someone decided to go on the road in today's time, what advice you will give them ?
2). Do you think pool players today are different from old timers when it comes to heart and stepping up for a match ?
3). We hear this a lot that to get better a pool player needs to step up, now if someone is stepping up to a game that they are not favorite to win but they still do it, is that person a "sucker" or they have got "heart" ?

Nick B
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Ask Daz:

Seeing as Jayson S & Mike D were recently on TAR and DAZ knows both their games well. Not if they could be but will they be Top flight pro's who win US Opens and such. Ala SVB, Mika and himself.

Nick

nb92
01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
... for Dennis... what is the name of the best player in the Philippines yet to come to the US? and where does Carlo rank, currently. In his opinion (I am assuming his opinion is he is #1)

Celtic
01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Which of the three games being played does Darren feel he is the strongest favorite to beat Dennis in and why?

Same question for Dennis.

Liverpooldannny
01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Hey there, a couple of questions I would like to ask... :)

For Darren,

1. As a young player from the UK, besides playing on all the pool tours in UK, what is the best way to put yourself out there as a player to try and take your game and your name higher in the world of billiards?

2. If you could have a 6th member in the team for mosconi cup 2014, and they had to be from the USA, who would you select?

3. Are you still using a 3142 shaft with the new 'throne' series predator and is it still 19oz?

4. Do you still use the kamui tip or how do you like the latest tips from predator?

5. I noticed in the last mosconi cup, you continued to break using the BK2 although the Bk3 had been released and Karl was using it, any reason behind this?

JCIN
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
As a free lead in to tonights podcast with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo I am running a free replay of TAR 21. This match featured Shane VanBoening vs Alex Pagulayan playing a 10 ball race to 100. Jay Helfert and Billy Incardona commentate. Join us tonight at 9PM E/6PM P for the TAR Podcast live with the players. http://theactionreport.com/

bmsclayton
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
As a free lead in to tonights podcast with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo I am running a free replay of TAR 21. This match featured Shane VanBoening vs Alex Pagulayan playing a 10 ball race to 100. Jay Helfert and Billy Incardona commentate. Join us tonight at 9PM E/6PM P for the TAR Podcast live with the players. http://theactionreport.com/

Thank you once again for the free entertainment tonight. Saves me from making a stupid bet on basketball that I hate for something to do. (lost under bet last night by about half time)

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
After watching some of the free SVB/Alex match again I liked those 4 1/8" pockets for top players. Any chance you may go back to them? Johnnyt

Celtic
01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
After watching some of the free SVB/Alex match again I liked those 4 1/8" pockets for top players. Any chance you may go back to them? Johnnyt

That match was on the original Fatboy rails that Glen built by hand, those pockets were absolutely perfect.

The "TAR" rails that were built to replace them were supposed to be identical but Glen said their were small differences and those small differences made a big difference in how they played, especially on shots down the rail.

The original Fatboy rails did not spit out well hit balls from anywhere, they played very consistent, tight but if you hit the ball well it went. At times well hit balls down the rail jammed up on the "TAR" rails that replaced them and that is what killed the tight rails on TAR.

These Fatboy 4 1/8th in pockets and this very match is where SVB ran 2 6 packs and a 7 pack in 10-ball. There is no way a table is "too tight" if a pro is able to put out that level of offense on it. Alex also shot the lights out in this match, his break weakness compared to SVB is what killed him in this match. These pockets were definitely not too tight for either guy.

jeffj2h
01-16-2014, 05:09 PM
For the podcast have Darren set up some drill challenges like he did before.

Ask the players about their practice routines. Ask for some details like what drills they do or if they just run 10-ball racks.

It's been said post-Mosconi Cup that the americans almost never do drills but the Europeans do them daily. Perhaps Darren can comment on that...

Joe T
01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Maybe we could get both players to do 5 racks of the az 15 ball ghost drill;
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=346016
Rules are simple; Run in rotation, when you miss you must take ball in hand and see how many ball in hands it takes them to run the 5 racks. You could talk to one player while the other is shooting or have them alternate racks?

Good luck this weekend, hope its a good one!

iusedtoberich
01-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Maybe we could get both players to do 5 racks of the az 15 ball ghost drill;
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=346016
Rules are simple; Run in rotation, when you miss you must take ball in hand and see how many ball in hands it takes them to run the 5 racks. You could talk to one player while the other is shooting or have them alternate racks?

Good luck this weekend, hope its a good one!

I second this. A group of us have been doing this on a thread here, and it would be really nice to see what the top pros would score.

BeiberLvr
01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
I second this. A group of us have been doing this on a thread here, and it would be really nice to see what the top pros would score.

5 racks each for these two. I'd probably set the line at 7.

Joe T
01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
I hope they do it. It could be a regular TAR thing for guest players. The Golf channel does a closest to the pin for all the cast and guests, Ha ha HOLLY is in the lead :) at 1 foot 9 inches.

7 is a good number, going in cold it would be tough though, with practice nice number.

Celtic
01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Unless they see this early and study up on the rules I am doubtful they will spend a good chunk of the podcast time figuring it out. Plus 10 racks of this total would eat up a solid chunk of the time, I could see that taking an hour at 6 minutes per a rack really easily.

Joe T
01-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Unless they see this early and study up on the rules I am doubtful they will spend a good chunk of the podcast time figuring it out. Plus 10 racks of this total would eat up a solid chunk of the time, I could see that taking an hour at 6 minutes per a rack really easily.

Yea and if they switch racks we talk to both guys 30 mins each, not asking them to stop interviewing and bsing, have fun with it.

BeiberLvr
01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Personally, it's fine if it's not something they could do on the podcast.

I would just really love to see how well the champions do.

Espartaco_7
01-16-2014, 07:12 PM
To both players

1. What shaft diameter they're using right now?
2. Have they played with skinnier shafts? Ex. Pred Z2 (Darren)---Ultra Pro (Dennis)
3. What diameter they think is the best to play pool with and why.

Gerry Williams
01-16-2014, 07:19 PM
I am sure Dennis cut his teeth on 15 ball rotation - be fun to see for sure.

Yea and if they switch racks we talk to both guys 30 mins each, not asking them to stop interviewing and bsing, have fun with it.

Gerry Williams
01-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Darren - do you use the SEE System on every shot?

Dennis - do you use any systems?

Gunn_Slinger
01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
How would the players feel about playing 9 ball 2 foul pushout

puertorociii
01-16-2014, 07:57 PM
What match have you lost in a way you can't wait to avenge your loss. Doesnt matter with a pro player or not. Question for both players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

StraightPoolIU
01-17-2014, 08:01 AM
FYI everyone the podcast is now posted on youtube. I have never really heard Dennis talk before. I really like his personality. You can really tell that he was having fun with the podcast. He really seems like a happy go lucky type guy.

Also, man Darren is really great in this podcast format.

JCIN
01-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Podcast is up now at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hiHFXoS0Oc

One of our better ones I think. Both guys are true class acts. Their match starts tonight at 8 PM Eastern/ 5 PM Pacific with a One Pocket Race to 7.

Info is at http://theactionreport.com/tar-38-appleton-vs-orcollo/

PETROBOY
01-17-2014, 08:21 AM
That was a good podcast Jcin. These guys are class acts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

justadub
01-19-2014, 07:40 PM
I just now got a chance to watch the podcast....it was fantastic.

I really enjoyed listening to all four guys. They all had a lot to share, and it was very interesting to listen to.

Thanks for another great show, Justin.