PDA

View Full Version : Linen Wrap maintenance

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 08:32 AM
I recently purchased my first custom cue. It's the first time i've had a linen wrap and was wondering if anyone has any insight on the maintenance it takes? I've noticed that the wrap tends to fray a little bit. The best way I can explain it is like hair standing on end a little bit. It's not unravelling or anything just didn't know if a damp cloth and some pressure keeps it down or what. I'm sure theres a few of ya's out there that can drop some knowledge

Shooter08
01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a defect, what kind of cue is it?

mr2_serious
01-15-2014, 09:04 AM
I recently purchased my first custom cue. It's the first time i've had a linen wrap and was wondering if anyone has any insight on the maintenance it takes? I've noticed that the wrap tends to fray a little bit. The best way I can explain it is like hair standing on end a little bit. It's not unravelling or anything just didn't know if a damp cloth and some pressure keeps it down or what. I'm sure theres a few of ya's out there that can drop some knowledge

I just put a few small dabs of Butcher's bowling alley wax on the wrap and then rub it in back and forth with a mircofiber towel or something really soft. The heat and the wax sorta presses down and seals the wrap for me. It also takes off some of the blue-ing from chalk use.

Another option would be to use wax paper and rub that back and forth over the wrap.

Eagleshot
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
I bought a white candle from a gas station and rubbed it over my old, frayed wrap - burnished with a terry cloth towel and it was good as new.

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a defect, what kind of cue is it?

klapp. It's almost like static elecricity and the fibres lift a bit.. it's nothing serious but thinking of preventitive maintenance just incase .

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
I bought a white candle from a gas station and rubbed it over my old, frayed wrap - burnished with a terry cloth towel and it was good as new.

lol... kinda like what I used to do with the tape on my hockey stick. Gave it longer life and kept the snow from freezing to the tape.

Now, could I buy this candle from a candle shop instead of a gas station? Just saying incase I want something scented.. :)

Ken_4fun
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
I see people screw with linen wraps all the time, cleaning them, waxing them, etc.

I prefer linen wraps too.

But the deal is they are so freakin low cost, that I wouldnt try to screw with much "maintenance". Once it is a problem just replace it.

Ken

Shooter08
01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Steve is a great guy, give him a call. I'm sure he will let you know what to do. BTW I love the shaft he built for me.

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 09:40 AM
I see people screw with linen wraps all the time, cleaning them, waxing them, etc.

I prefer linen wraps too.

But the deal is they are so freakin low cost, that I wouldnt try to screw with much "maintenance". Once it is a problem just replace it.

Ken

I really like the linen wrap too, I don't want to change the feel of it with an abundance of wax but it seems like mine is a bit on the delicate side.

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Steve is a great guy, give him a call. I'm sure he will let you know what to do. BTW I love the shaft he built for me.

I'm really impressed how well his cues hit, especially given the affordable price tag.

3andstop
01-15-2014, 09:44 AM
You can try a little wax paper rolled over the wrap and roll the butt across your thighs while you are sitting down to heat up the waxpaper as you hold it over the linen.

j_zippel
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
You can try a little wax paper rolled over thrap and roll the butt across your thighs while you are sitting downe w to heat up the waxpaper as you hold it over the linen.

sounds like a pregnacy waiting to happen!

I will safely give this a try