PDA

View Full Version : New league starting need help

brocktonfats
01-15-2014, 10:28 AM
trying to start a 100% payback in house 9 ball league. have a question.

What % of teams should be paid back? lets say there would be 10 teams. (i was thinking 25% like tournament structure)

thanks in advance

jburkm002
01-15-2014, 10:58 AM
What are the weekly dues and how many weeks?

brocktonfats
01-15-2014, 11:02 AM
I was thinking 8 or 12 weeks

3 matches played per week

So bringing in $300 a week if there's 10 teams

DAVE_M
01-15-2014, 11:06 AM
I've been in a cash league that was around 90% cash back.

Weekly dues were $5 per player per match. 10 total players played each night (5 matches). Winner's get paid back $5 per win at the end of the session. All the losers money goes into a pool and is then payed out to the top 10 teams with the majority going to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Usually the sessions were around 28-32 weeks. The last time I played in it, I got around $110 back and our team won 5th place. So we cashed in a little bit and I made out with around $150-160 total after splitting it up.

brocktonfats
01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
I was thinking 3 or 4 man teams. First 2 matches are singles and last match is a scotch doubles alternating shot match.

Scott Lee
01-15-2014, 11:11 AM
brocktonfats...If you're serious about wanting the league to succeed, then pay EVERYBODY something. That way the same players will keep wanting to play in the league. IMO, don't make it top heavy, but more evened out among the ten teams. Then they'll want to play to compete, and know that not just the best 10 guys in the league are gonna get all the $$$! JMO, but it's worked well in other situations. Good for you for trying to start a league in your area...not an easy task! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

trying to start a 100% payback in house 9 ball league. have a question.

What % of teams should be paid back? lets say there would be 10 teams. (i was thinking 25% like tournament structure)

thanks in advance

DAVE_M
01-15-2014, 11:17 AM
brocktonfats...If you're serious about wanting the league to succeed, then pay EVERYBODY something. That way the same players will keep wanting to play in the league. IMO, don't make it top heavy, but more evened out among the ten teams. Then they'll want to play to compete, and know that not just the best 10 guys in the league are gonna get all the $$$! JMO, but it's worked well in other situations. Good for you for trying to start a league in your area...not an easy task! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

What Scott said :cool:

The first time I played in that cash league, I had 22 wins and 5 losses as an APA SL3 equivalent. I won MVP of my team and we were in 5th place overall with around 20-22 teams of 8 players. It kept me around for another 3-4 years before I switched to playing APA 8/9ball.

FASTEDDIE427
01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Pay back everybody? Are you kidding? Why don't we all play for free and the winners get an attaboy and a hug

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Yes...pay EVERYBODY something. Seems to work pretty well for the largest league in the world. APA pays last place money to every team at the national tournament. It's not much, but every player, when asked how they did, when they get back home, can honestly say "I cashed!" It's not as dumb an idea as you seem to think. I did the same thing in my local APA league 20 years ago. The players loved it.

Scott Lee

Pay back everybody? Are you kidding? Why don't we all play for free and the winners get an attaboy and a hug

Pete
01-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Lol. Love the hug.

But I think Scott is onto something. If it was say and Elks in house league, then this would be a good aproach. After a season or 2 of donating money non-players will stop.

FASTEDDIE427
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm sure they did... Reward losing get trophies for participating... Holy $h!T we wonder why this country is in the garbage

Yes...pay EVERYBODY something. Seems to work pretty well for the largest league in the world. APA pays last place money to every team at the national tournament. It's not much, but every player, when asked how they did, when they get back home, can honestly say "I cashed!" It's not as dumb an idea as you seem to think. I did the same thing in my local APA league 20 years ago. The players loved it.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Not only that Pete...hugs, like afternoon naps...are HIGHLY underrated! LMAO :eek: :D Attaboys, on the other hand, should be done by everyone, at least to themselves. It is something I teach to every student...positive self talk! You know that...:thumbup:

Scott Lee

Lol. Love the hug.

But I think Scott is onto something. If it was say and Elks in house league, then this would be a good aproach. After a season or 2 of donating money non-players will stop.

Scott Lee
01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry, but you just don't understand the dynamics of how to create a league where people will want to play, week after week, year after year. I do...:rolleyes: That's what this thread is about.

Scott Lee

I'm sure they did... Reward losing get trophies for participating... Holy $h!T we wonder why this country is in the garbage

Cdryden
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
In our league each team is charged a 25 dollar registration fee. Then there are 5 matches per night, (one night a week) every player who plays pay 4 dollars so when you have 16 teams playing each other that equals $320.00 per week x 16 weeks = $5,120.00 per season.
We pay our secretary a small administration fee to cover the paperwork, I do the website for free, And some money comes out for trophys for 1st place, most tables runs and most 8 balls on the break. And we still have enough to make sure everyone get something at the end.

There are always going to be certain teams at the bottom, they need to be rewarded too imho.

FASTEDDIE427
01-15-2014, 12:40 PM
So in other words we give no incentive to get better. or try to improve

In our league each team is charged a 25 dollar registration fee. Then there are 5 matches per night, (one night a week) every player who plays pay 4 dollars so when you have 16 teams playing each other that equals $320.00 per week x 16 weeks = $5,120.00 per season.
We pay our secretary a small administration fee to cover the paperwork, I do the website for free, And some money comes out for trophys for 1st place, most tables runs and most 8 balls on the break. And we still have enough to make sure everyone get something at the end.

There are always going to be certain teams at the bottom, they need to be rewarded too imho.

PaulieB
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM

If it bothers you that much, when you come in last place, you can give your $20 to me. :)

FASTEDDIE427
01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
If it bothers you that much, when you come in last place, you can give your $20 to me. :)

last few seasons ive gome in top 10 in win percentage

jburkm002
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
This is just an example of equal distribution. Not large jumps from say 1st and 2nd but a difference between first and last.
Ex. 10 teams x $30 each= $300 X 8 weeks= $2400

weeks weeks
8 12
1st $456 $684
2nd $408 $612
3rd $360 $540
4th $312 $468
5th $264 $396
6th $216 $324
7th $168 $252
8th $120 $180
9th $72 $108
10th $24 $36
$2,400 $3,600

jburkm002
01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Sorry how it turned out. It must have word wrapped and bunched it all together.

Cdryden
01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

If you believe that than the only thing you see as an incentive is the money. If you are in a league for money I would have to question your sanity as well as your IQ.

brocktonfats
01-15-2014, 01:20 PM
If you believe that than the only thing you see as an incentive is the money. If you are in a league for money I would have to question your sanity as well as your IQ.

You don't know what you just got yourself into lmao fasteddie427 is open player on the forums!!!

FASTEDDIE427
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM

any body thats love pool is insane just a little.... and im not in it just for money. but i just cant wrap my head around paying everybody

Scott Lee
01-15-2014, 01:29 PM
brocktonfats...Doesn't matter how good he plays. He has no idea how to create and run a league that will grow, and keep people playing. I do...from experience, and obviously from other's experiences too. That's what you started this thread for...and you've gotten some pretty good advice (mostly).
Good luck with your league! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

You don't know what you just got yourself into lmao fasteddie427 is open player on the forums!!!

Cdryden
01-15-2014, 01:29 PM

So he should be allowed to question someone without getting a answer? He is no more or less important than anyone else here.

Cdryden
01-15-2014, 01:33 PM
any body thats love pool is insane just a little.... and im not in it just for money. but i just cant wrap my head around paying everybody

Personally I see the challenge as my incentive. We are a small town league, NO ONE makes more than they spend when it comes to league here. When the lesser teams get nothing for their work they will lose interest.
We have a team that has consisted of the same 6 players for over ten years. They are always in the bottom two, yet they still try. They don't see the money as the incentive, which is just one of the reasons I disagree with that statement.

brocktonfats
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
brocktonfats...Doesn't matter how good he plays. He has no idea how to create and run a league that will grow, and keep people playing. I do...from experience, and obviously from other's experiences too. That's what you started this thread for...and you've gotten some pretty good advice (mostly).

Good luck with your league! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Advice taken thanks

kaznj
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
For a ten week season have everyone pay more for weeks one to seven. Then no one has to pay for the last three weeks. If people have to pay up to the end, once they know they cannot win anything they will drop out. Why continue to pay with no possible return.
Another suggestion, most of the money is paid out to the top players. Some money is held out for a post session tournament. Everyone gets into the tourny with a chance to win some money.