PDA

View Full Version : pool table in poor Tanzanian villiage

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
I recently got back from a trip to Tanzania, Africa. My wife and I hiked to the top of Kilimanjaro (19,340 ft!) and did a week-long safari. It was awesome.

The reason why I am posting this is I wanted to share a photo I took in one of the many poor villages we traveled through. See below ... it's a pool table. I didn't have time to try to play with some of the locals ... I wish I did ... but I was very happy to see the table. Maybe pool has a future after all if even a poor village in the middle of a relatively poor African country feels a need to have a pool table in a public place.

Catch you later,
Dave

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/images/Tanzania_pool_table.jpg

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Looks like she's due for a little maintenance???....neat to see.

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Looks like she's due for a little maintenance???....neat to see.That small tear in the cloth isn't a "problem," its a "challenge." :grin-square:

Check out the far side-pocket facing angles. Those are about the widest side-pocket openings I've ever seen ... probably good if you want people to put in quarters (or whatever African coin is used) often.

Regards,
Dave

bdorman
01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Might be hard to do some of the BU drills on that table :D

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Might be hard to do some of the BU drills on that table :DNonesense! Although, it might be a little difficult to calculate an accurate TDF. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Colin Colenso
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Looks like an english 7' table. That is standard for center pockets... don't go whacking them in there though, they'll spit out pretty easily.

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
That small tear in the cloth isn't a "problem," its a "challenge." :grin-square:

Check out the far side-pocket facing angles. Those are about the widest side-pocket openings I've ever seen ... probably good if you want people to put in quarters (or whatever African coin is used) often.

Regards,
Dave

I saw that...looks like there is no shelf to the pocket either....that pocket'll suck balls in like a vacuum cleaner...

Bob 14:1
01-15-2014, 12:15 PM
And I just spent the better part of two days listening to pro and con banter regarding the Kamui Clear tip.

Some days we lose sight of just how blessed we all are.

Saw a special on North Korea last night. Tyranny, oppression, brutality and starvation in the streets.

Makes me feel pretty ashamed some days...:(

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Looks like an english 7' table. That is standard for center pockets... don't go whacking them in there though, they'll spit out pretty easily.Do most English 7' tables have center-pocket cushions cuts like that? With the open faces and pocket opening so far out, it looks like you can pocket a ball in the "center" from almost any angle (with slow enough speed).

Colin, it's good to see you back on the forum on a more regular basis.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
And I just spent the better part of two days listening to pro and con banter regarding the Kamui Clear tip.

Some days we lose sight of just how blessed we all are.

Saw a special on North Korea last night. Tyranny, oppression, brutality and starvation in the streets.

Makes me feel pretty ashamed some days...:(Well stated. I certainly have a new appreciation for many of the things we take for granted everyday (like reliable electricity, reasonably clean air, fast and ubiquitous Internet connections, amazing ease of affordably buying almost anything you want to eat or use at almost any time in almost every neighborhood in most cities).

Regards,
Dave

PaulieB
01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Time for RKC to extend his service area.

Colin Colenso
01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Do most English 7' tables have center-pocket cushions cuts like that? With the open faces and pocket opening so far out, it looks like you can pocket a ball in the "center" from almost any angle (with slow enough speed).

Colin, it's good to see you back on the forum on a more regular basis.

Best regards,
Dave
Looks standard to me Dave, the 7' english table I have in my garage actually has bigger center pockets. They can go from nearly anywhere, but the tighter the angle, the less speed they'll take.

Similar to snooker tables. Steven Hendry is/was known as the king of center pocket potting. It's usually an emergency option, but played much more in english games than in US games.

Hope you enjoyed your trip :)

Colin

metallicane
01-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Time for RKC to extend his service area.

Thinking the same thing.:grin:

nobcitypool
01-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I recently got back from a trip to Tanzania, Africa. My wife and I hiked to the top of Kilimanjaro (19,340 ft!) and did a week-long safari. It was awesome.

/Tanzania_pool_table.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Note to self. Do not accept an invitation to go on a vacation from a guy who considers hiking to the top of a 20,000 foot mountain "awesome". :thumbup:

DaveK
01-15-2014, 02:49 PM
... I wanted to share a photo I took in one of the many poor villages we traveled through. See below ... it's a pool table. ...

There is a beautiful snooker table in a gorgeous wood panelled room in the Mount Kenya Safari Club ... of course the poor villagers don't get to play on it. Their golf course looks like it's another story.

Dave

FairladyZ
01-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Looks like its time to fly that RealKingCobra guy out there to give that table some love.

Cdryden
01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
I hope you didn't add those pocket dimensions to you list! (That will really screw up the average)

Thanks for posting this pic. I always make it a point to play pool wherever I travel to. My goal is to one day play on all seven continents. A guy can dream right? :cool:

12squared
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Welcome home. Nice table!

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I hope you didn't add those pocket dimensions to your list! (That will really screw up the average)It would certainly be interesting to see what the TDF would be, but I didn't take measurements.

Thanks for posting this pic. I always make it a point to play pool wherever I travel to. My goal is to one day play on all seven continents. A guy can dream right? :cool:That sounds like a great life goal. I hope you at least get close.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Welcome home.Thanks. It was a great trip, but it feels really good to be back home.

Nice table!Thanks. It's too bad I didn't have time to try to play with some of the locals.

Catch you later,
Dave