PDA

View Full Version : How important are joint protectors???

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Do they serve a real purpose or is it just something to deck out your cue with?...Normally if my cue isn't together then its in its case where I have a hard time believing that the pin or my shafts are going to take any abuse...I'm thinking of getting a set for my shafts to make it easy to tell which shaft I'm pulling out but that was the only practical use I could think of.......Other than that they look cool if you get nice ones made that match some element of the cue....

victorl
01-15-2014, 09:14 PM
You're right, if you have a decent case and your cues are snug, there is really no way the pin and shaft can be damaged while in the case.
I use them for two reasons, to make it easier to pull my shafts out of my case and because they look really, really nice.

Maniac
01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
If you ever spill your cue out of the case...and it hits the ground on the pin...well, you may wish you'd have had the JP's on it.

That said...I have NEVER spilt my cue out of my case...nor have I ever dropped it, and wish I had every red cent I've ever spent on the many JP's I own...and wish I had never started using them.

You will get varying opinions on this subject. This is just mine.

Maniac

FairladyZ
01-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Never had a joint protector, and don't ever plan to. Don't really see the need.

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
If you ever spill your cue out of the case...and it hits the ground on the pin...well, you may wish you'd have had the JP's on it.

That said...I have NEVER spilt my cue out of my case...nor have I ever dropped it, and wish I had every red cent I've ever spent on the many JP's I own...and wish I had never started using them.

Maniac

My cue came with a nice ivory and cocobolo JP for just the butt..none for the shafts...the only real reason I think I want them for the shafts it so I can mark them 1 and 2 so I can tell which shaft I'm grabbing...just wanted to see if it is worth spending the cash on nice ones or if I should just get a set of $10 plastic ones online or something...

Maniac
01-15-2014, 09:28 PM
My cue came with a nice ivory and cocobolo JP for just the butt..none for the shafts...the only real reason I think I want them for the shafts it so I can mark them 1 and 2 so I can tell which shaft I'm grabbing...just wanted to see if it is worth spending the cash on nice ones or if I should just get a set of $10 plastic ones online or something...

Before I realized what a major pain-in-the-ass they are...I was buying the middle-priced aluminum JP's, and liked these over the plastic ones.

Maniac

Straightpool_99
01-15-2014, 09:30 PM

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Maniac, looks like you have JP's on every butt in your avitar...lol

What makes them a PITA? just having to keep track of them? or having to take an extra step before getting your cue put together???

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I like them for the looks. I also have different joint protectors for each shaft, so they are easy to identify in the case and it makes it easier to get them out as well. They can protect the inside of the case as well if you put the butt in the wrong way (who does this?) or have a snug fitting lid.

The protection you get from the joint protectors is dubious at best. Cues are usually dropped (in two pieces) when they are being put toghether and taken apart. I've never seen the cues spill out of the case in a way that would damage the joint pin. The joint protectors are not usually on when cues are dropped. So that aspect is mostly a gimmick IMHO.

I may just have to get one JP for my shafts...that would give me an identifier as to which shaft im grabbing...

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the input everyone...

Jim Baxter
01-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi I think every one should have J/ps for all there cues , maybe a few spares just in case . Ha Ha . Keeps me in beer , If II drank beer which I don't anymore . Jim

nobcitypool
01-15-2014, 11:07 PM
No one has mentioned a potentially more serious problem that could occur by not having joint protectors. Suppose you get a wood chip or metal shaving in the threads of the butt. This could damage the threads if you weren't paying attention. It could also prevent you from being able to tighten down the shaft completely.

I just use the cheapie plastic ones. Even though the odds of them preventing damage to your cue are low, cheap insurance when you consider the cost of those JP's versus the cost of repairing or replacing the cue.

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Hi I think every one should have J/ps for all there cues , maybe a few spares just in case . Ha Ha . Keeps me in beer , If II drank beer which I don't anymore . Jim

well just out of curiosity (if we're talking beer money) what do you get for 2 shaft JP's (3/8-10 pin) made of cocobolo and Ivory Look-a-like stuff with a 1 and 2 on top of them?

This is the best pic I have of the JP I would be trying to match....one ring would be fine

http://i42.tinypic.com/b5i7g7.jpg

Rackemep
01-15-2014, 11:17 PM
No one has mentioned a potentially more serious problem that could occur by not having joint protectors. Suppose you get a wood chip or metal shaving in the threads of the butt. This could damage the threads if you weren't paying attention. It could also prevent you from being able to tighten down the shaft completely.

I just use the cheapie plastic ones. Even though the odds of them preventing damage to your cue are low, cheap insurance when you consider the cost of those JP's versus the cost of repairing or replacing the cue.

Good point about it being cheap insurance.....

AlexandruM
01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I use longer joint protector to easy extract my cue out of case.

eprince
01-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Not sure how much protection they offer, but it gives me peace of mind. I have owned 3 cases, two of them I have to put the butt of the cue in joint first. Should be very well protected in the bottom of the case, but if anything weird were to happen, I like having the $10 piece of mind that my joint isn't exposed to the rest of the case. The first case I owned I could put the butt in with the butt cap going in first, leaving the joing of the cue at the opening. Ended up giving that case to an ex along with the second cue I bought (a McDermott lucky $40 cue). Had a soft interior that didn't offer any protection for the cues at all. Now have a J&J 4x8 case with 3 cues in it.

tl;dr: I basically enjoy the peace of mind JP's give me.

Shooting Cue: Dale Perry with Moori Medium tip (next will switch to a triangle)
Secondary cue: Omega 10
Break cue: $40 break jump cue bought secondhand.

pwd72s
01-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Maybe a bit of a gimmick...but with one "heads" and the other "tails" I know which shaft I'm pulling from my case. Jim did a great job of having the match the veneer colors and rings of my Josey cue. No regrets on the money spent...Thanks Jim for a job done extremely well. :)

Cross
01-16-2014, 01:29 AM
My friend stored his cues without protectors in his case and didn't use it for a year, When he checked on it he found out that the shaft has swollen and wouldn't accept the joint pin of the butt. Dont know if joint protectors would have made any difference but I have stored all my cues with JPs ever since

trob
01-16-2014, 02:24 AM
Not a problem here since I updated my justus case with a jb interior :wink:

I wonder this also..I feel like there just cue bling lol

Maniac

3andstop
01-16-2014, 05:28 AM
I have a lot of shafts. I mark them and they help me identify the. I'm not into the cosmetics though, my jp's cost about 4 bucks a set.

The shaft protectors can prevent lint and junk from finding their way into the thread hole also.

ideologist
01-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Shaft jps keep crap and dust out of the pin hole. Dust getting in there wears out the threads a lot faster.

Black-Balled
01-16-2014, 05:49 AM
if you want to tell the difference between shafts, you can put different marks between the facing/ threads with a sharpie.

I have joint protectors for my cue and usually use them, but I also usually have my shiit in a soft case...and my cues have the g-10 pins.

Jim baxters output is flawless.

j_zippel
01-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Before I realized what a major pain-in-the-ass they are...I was buying the middle-priced aluminum JP's, and liked these over the plastic ones.

Maniac

I bought some inexpensive black aluminium ones for $10 that work great

DAVE_M
01-16-2014, 06:21 AM
I have bought 2 sets from Jim Baxter, so far. One set of purple heart/phenolic 5/16x18 pin for a Schmelke purple heart sneaky pete, I had owned. And one set of radial pin grey Dymondwood J/P's made for my Poison jump cue.I also have a black set of 3/8x10 Aluminum J/P's from Seybert's that work really well. They are plain as can be, but do the job.

I used them to protect the pin, keep fuzz from getting in the shaft (that's being a bit compulsive), and to identify which shaft and which cue butt I want to grab.

For the cost, you can't beat Jim's quality and speed. He had made the set of Dymondwood J/P's for me within an hour of ordering them and they shipped out same day!

Maniac
01-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Maniac, looks like you have JP's on every butt in your avitar...lol

What makes them a PITA? just having to keep track of them? or having to take an extra step before getting your cue put together???

No...it's the dropping them on the floor about every other time I remove one...and having it roll across the room and under a table or something!!! :sorry:

I come closer to damaging my cues trying to catch a falling (dropped) JP than I've ever come close to damaging a cue getting it out of the case.

Maniac

Maniac
01-16-2014, 07:28 AM
I bought some inexpensive black aluminium ones for $10 that work great

Those are probably the ones I mentioned in an earlier post as being middle-priced JP's...$10 as opposed to $4. You could spend a lot more I suppose...but then you'd just be going for the artwork/craftsmanship.

The aluminum ones are taller than most of the plastic ones also...so you had better make sure your case is tall enough to accept them.

Maniac

bdorman
01-16-2014, 08:48 AM
My shafts are 3/8 x 10, wood threads. I don't use joint protectors because I figure the fewer times I screw something into the wood threads, the better.

Jude Rosenstock
01-16-2014, 09:11 AM

If you're using Uni-Loc joints, anything that gets into the joint can ruin your cue. They're far less popular than they were 10 years ago (probably for this reason) but back then, I saw quite a few cues that simply wouldn't come apart because there was metallic dust in the joint. I used Uni-Loc for years, rarely had problems but always had joint protectors. My current cue uses a standard thread, I no longer use joint protectors and I've never had a problem.

cueaddicts
01-16-2014, 09:18 AM
At the joint ends, there is no finish to seal the wood or shaft threads from exposure to atmospheric changes and moisture. Although not an absolute necessity for all cues, 1) it's cheap protection and 2) it's also a cool way to further accent/accessorize the cue and add value, that the cue is special to you or collectible.

3andstop
01-16-2014, 10:08 AM
if you want to tell the difference between shafts, you can put different marks between the facing/ threads with a sharpie.

I have joint protectors for my cue and usually use them, but I also usually have my shiit in a soft case...and my cues have the g-10 pins.

Jim baxters output is flawless.

LOL .... I started out doing that, but with 14 shafts I couldn't count the dots and lines anymore. :thumbup:

jaetee
01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
My oldest cue has been with me since new in 1988 (red McD D-26 in the avatar) and it's never had joint protectors and always been in a 3x6 Porper case. I marked the two shafts' threads with different colors to differentiate them. Never felt the need for JPs, I might feel differently if I had been using a soft case all these years, but it just seems like one more thing to slow someone down.

I'd rather spend that money on table time.

LuckyStroke
01-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Necessary? Probably not. I'm OCD about certain things and when my cue is apart without jp's it seems incomplete. Here goes some more praise for Jim Baxter. He does a great job. My jp's just happen to be in my avatar right now.

Black-Balled
01-16-2014, 03:49 PM
LOL .... I started out doing that, but with 14 shafts I couldn't count the dots and lines anymore. :thumbup:

I hear that
I only have abott 10 and only 2- the original ones-are easily confused. I like ringwork that doesn't match :shrug:

3andstop
01-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I hear that
I only have abott 10 and only 2- the original ones-are easily confused. I like ringwork that doesn't match :shrug:

I've also got this habit of sanding the shafts with 1200 while I'm playing. I like very long pro taper so I typically sand the shafts down low where the taper gets fat and then bring up the dust to the top of the shaft for the last few times.

The taper changes over time and my favorite shafts change with that, so it's just easier to use the JP's. :) *cheapo shafts BTW*

gsxr750rr
01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
I have them but don't use them. I'm sure they add a measure of protection from dropping the butt on the pin side but overall they are just a hassle. Taking them off, putting them on, finding them after you've been playing for hours, remembering to find them after you've been playing for a few hours lol, Doesn't seem like a hassle but after doing this several times a day, almost everyday for a while, yeah they just end up in the junk pocket of your case. But they are a cool accessory for your cue and those penny ones that Jim made a few posts up are awesome looking, I'd definitely get a set to bling up a nice cue.

Kim Bye
01-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Better safe than sorry :D
Besides if you have a fancy cue, the JP`s is the icing on the cake, gin in the campari etc...

Quesports
01-17-2014, 05:35 PM
I own an expensive Kikel cue and had Dave make matching cue protectors for it. He was not too excited about doing them at first but relented on the understanding that I would make a protective pouch for them so they would be protected!! Gotta love that!! Necessary no not really but when you have an expensive cue it just isn't right to not have matching joint protectors, imo..

Standbykid
01-17-2014, 07:06 PM
I think they're pretty important. I accidentally dropped my shaft while in the process of putting my cue away. The JP did it's job.

-J

Rasputin
01-17-2014, 07:37 PM
If you drink the way I do, they certainly do have a purpose. If you don't, well, they look nice... also, depending on your case, they often make it easier and safer to get the cues out of the case.

Flintlock
01-17-2014, 07:45 PM
I use them when I want to take an extra 5 minutes to take my cues out of their case on league night.

arps
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
i only put JP's on the butt to protect the pin. for the shafts i use these,
http://www.componentforce.com/userfiles/image/categories/rubberfeet-styleb_sm.jpg

i dont like other pins being inserted in my shaft, even if it's the same size.

Dave714
01-18-2014, 12:02 AM
I've had the same cue for 20 something yrs. Never had them. Plays the same now as then.