PDA

View Full Version : help in identifying this Brunswick table

rhgibson
01-16-2014, 03:31 AM
anyone have any idea what model this Brunswick might be? ... it is listed for sale locally, I have been told it was made in 1938... thanks for any help... image attached.

ideologist
01-16-2014, 03:49 AM
More like 1988. Not sure what model but it is definitely not an antique.

rhgibson
01-16-2014, 04:56 AM
thanks for your input- I think you're right about the age... I haven't seen this in person, only this photo- checking the web, it looks like this might be a Century or Centurion... asking price is $500,,, maybe an ok deal if it doesn't need extra work.

jrhendy
01-16-2014, 05:05 AM
thanks for your input- I think you're right about the age... I haven't seen this in person, only this photo- checking the web, it looks like this might be a Century or Centurion... asking price is $500,,, maybe an ok deal if it doesn't need extra work.

Looks like a Century. I believe they are like a Gold Crown in playability with a less expensive base.

There were some in a couple rooms in Northern CA and they were nice tales.

obe1
01-16-2014, 05:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.longs-billiards.com/brunswick.asp

Centurion
Starting as low as $4,799

RFranklin
01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
I have that table in an oversized 8 in my garage. It plays well but is not made for commercial use. The legs less substantial than the current Century and the skirts are veneered presswood. I think mine is from the early 80's and has an awesome cheesey light wood finish.

pt109
01-16-2014, 09:39 AM
anyone have any idea what model this Brunswick might be? ... it is listed for sale locally, I have been told it was made in 1938... thanks for any help... image attached.

It's a Century....and I wouldn't touch it.
It's too light, and the rails seem low = fast and bouncy.

IMO, the worst commercial table Brunswick ever made.....
....Viscount being the second worst.

rhgibson
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
thanks guys for the input- I went and checked it out this morning-
as ya'll said, it is a lightweight- not at all what I am used to playing on...
guess I'm going to have to pay the price for a gold crown or diamond ;)

RFranklin
01-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I got mine for $300 and made him throw in all the extras plus a vintage Lonestar beer light. :thumbup:

bravebull
10-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I played many times at Grand and Olive in St. Louis above Garavellis Restaurant as a teenager in the 1960's. My memory is that the pool hall at that time was called Haddads-not Aratas. My memories included older gentlemen half asleep watching games-I usually played 8 ball and then would eat a roast beef sandwich at Garavellis-the waiters as I remember were all men and would clear you out quickly so they could get another table of people eating and collect a tip. Haddads had a quiet atmosphere and was a pool hall dream-Garavellis was loud and fun and the food was always great. I moved away from St.Louis and years later took my teenage son to show him where I spent my misspent youth but the entire building had been destroyed. I also played at "Eds" in the Delmar loop-small place maybe 5 tables but always a good game going on.

Logandgriff
10-27-2014, 02:09 PM
I played many times at Grand and Olive in St. Louis above Garavellis Restaurant as a teenager in the 1960's. My memory is that the pool hall at that time was called Haddads-not Aratas. My memories included older gentlemen half asleep watching games-I usually played 8 ball and then would eat a roast beef sandwich at Garavellis-the waiters as I remember were all men and would clear you out quickly so they could get another table of people eating and collect a tip. Haddads had a quiet atmosphere and was a pool hall dream-Garavellis was loud and fun and the food was always great. I moved away from St.Louis and years later took my teenage son to show him where I spent my misspent youth but the entire building had been destroyed. I also played at "Eds" in the Delmar loop-small place maybe 5 tables but always a good game going on.
Somehow this St. Louis email is in a chain about identifying a table but I don't know how to move it and my reply. Grand Olive was definitely know as Arata's for many years. You can google it. I played at Grand Olive during my high school years, also at Tropicana Lanes in Clayton, Esquire Cue Club in Clayton and La Scala Cue Club in U.City. Ed's was too scary for me but I remember stories that Ed carried around his neck the only rack in the place. When you needed to start a new game you called out "Rack em Ed" and Ed came over, took your fifteen cents and racked up the balls for you.