PDA

View Full Version : Chapter #! and $70 WEll Spent Already

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 08:32 AM
I worked on my stance, line of aim, PSR, and delivering a consistent straight stroke for a little over an hour last night at the dinning room table using Mark Wilson's text book. I went out on the patio this morning (39 degrees) and ran 3 racks of 14.1 right off the bat W/O anything even close to a miss. I had to quit after 3 racks as I was getting too cold. The funny thing about it was it was the exact way I use to set-up from the advice I got from Jerry Briesath many, many years ago in NY. I felt comfortable with no back strain that I could notice in the short time I played. The big changes I made were to stand up a bit higher and center my eyes between the cue instead of my left eye over it.

I'm going to read each chapter and see if I can find other things that I have picked up bad habits on over the years. Two things I know for sure are I was not hitting the CB where I thought before and my PSR was far from consistent like I thought it was. I'm not big on reading to learn, but this first chapter has already been worth the $70 to me. Best 3 new things in pool in the last 5 years IMO are the Magic Rack, Ridgeback Rails, and Mark Wilson's book "PLAY GREAT POOL". Can't wait until it warms up a bit more to go out and practice some more. Life/pool is good again. Johnnyt

rayjay
01-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Couldn't agree more, this book is helping me a lot, glad it's helping you too johnnyt. After spinal fusion surgery a couple years ago, apparently I developed some bad form in my feet setup and I'm also curing a chicken wing that I may have been born with! This book rocks.
:D

Houstoer
01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I've just skimmed the book so far and it really looks good...plan on spending some time with it this weekend.... but what is up with the small type? Its hard to read for me !

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 09:23 AM
One thing I've learned about me is that I need to check my fundamentals good every so often. About a year ago I videoed my fundamentals and all looked good. I must get lazy and little by little over time I get things all out of wack. I was really shocked at how out of line I had got. I figured after 60 years of playing it was automatic. :embarrassed2:. Johnnyt

KoolKat9Lives
01-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Well glory be to my eyes, Johnnyt made a positive thread! ;)

Mark Wilson's book must be pretty danged good if it can teach a semi-old dog new tricks. Keep us posted when the frozen state of Florida warms up Mr. Ridgeback!

KK9 <-- loves FL

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Well glory be to my eyes, Johnnyt made a positive thread! ;)

Mark Wilson's book must be pretty danged good if it can teach a semi-old dog new tricks. Keep us posted when the frozen state of Florida warms up Mr. Ridgeback!

KK9 <-- loves FL

Can I make any money with positive threads :thumbup:. Johnnyt

sfleinen
01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Can I make any money with positive threads :thumbup:. Johnnyt

You mean you're making money with negative threads? Gosh, I had it wrong all along.

-Sean <-- needs to work on his negativity. Will putting scowl emoticons suffice? :mad: :angry:

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Well I think it's about time to get extended rails to make 4" or smaller pockets. don't miss much on the 4 1/4" anymore. Here that Jerry? Get the saw warmed up.:grin-square:. Johnnyt