PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Earl Strickland

Cornerman
01-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Earl is showing the world just how good he can be as he's really making the 10 ft Brunswick look relatively easy. And as rusty as Efren looks, the length of the table hasn't really been an issue for him either. Efren had his chances, but he needed Earl to not run out so often!

Anyway, for those that didn't see the stream, or didn't quite hear it, or missed it between choppiness...

At one point near the end of the match after Earl had a brilliant safety or kick (there were so many), Earl said to the crowd while they were cheering, "any of these things you see me doing here are because of him," as he pointed to Efren.

I don't know if he thought that maybe the crowd might not understand that he was paying a huge compliment to the Magician, but he followed up with, "I've learned a ton from that man."

Say what you will about Earl Strickland (because frankly, he brings it upon himself), but there is no question ever where his heart is.

Freddie <~~~ still an Earl fan

ideologist
01-16-2014, 10:46 AM
He wears his heart on his sleeve. Lots of class on his part to continue to appreciate Efren, and perhaps, their famous rivalry, which only improved the game incredibly. Earl is still aces in my book, I love watching him play.

itsfroze
01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Excellent Post
As I didn't watch I would have never known that. Thank You

Petros Andrikop
01-16-2014, 10:56 AM
From all the players I have ever met, Earl loves this game the most...

markgw
01-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Earl is showing the world just how good he can be as he's really making the 10 ft Brunswick look relatively easy. And as rusty as Efren looks, the length of the table hasn't really been an issue for him either. Efren had his chances, but he needed Earl to not run out so often!

Anyway, for those that didn't see the stream, or didn't quite hear it, or missed it between choppiness...

At one point near the end of the match after Earl had a brilliant safety or kick (there were so many), Earl said to the crowd while they were cheering, "any of these things you see me doing here are because of him," as he pointed to Efren.

I don't know if he thought that maybe the crowd might not understand that he was paying a huge compliment to the Magician, but he followed up with, "I've learned a ton from that man."

Say what you will about Earl Strickland (because frankly, he brings it upon himself), but there is no question ever where his heart is.

After I downloaded firefox I was able to enjoy the stream. Earl really played great and he really looks like he's in great shape. I'm not sure if Efren excercise's or not? Efren actually outbroke Earl but he didn't outplay him. That was a class move by Earl to give the crowd that info during the match about learning from Efren. The comment came after he killed the cueball on an extreme cut on the 8 ball to hold for the 9. Efren is jumping up when there are pressure moments. You don't really see Earl jump up on shots. The difference in the match so far is Earl has made Efren pay for his mistakes. Excellent play by both players and I thoroughly enjoyed both nights!!!

KoolKat9Lives
01-16-2014, 11:02 AM
That comment put a long time smile on my face. :thumbup:

Earl has been making the 10 footer look like a bar box. My goodness, he's been impressive. Efren has played exceptionally, with exception of the last handful of racks on Day 1 after "the kick". I love the sound of Efren's cue hit which is followed by the center pocket's sound. He's such a joy to watch.

Anyway, I challenged Earl on Facebook today. I offered on a 10 footer, 9 ball, no side pockets, that I get the zero and out. The wuss went silent (but he did "like" my comment). He's got no heart. ;)

Hey... Does anyone know if there's anything other than pride on the line tonight?

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 11:08 AM

So that's it, then? Earl acts polite and pays Efren a compliment and all the rude, spoiled brat-ish, obnoxious child-like behavior gets a little more palatable?

What idiots we are ---- always blaming his poor behavior on something he just can't help. Yet he seems to be able to control it very well when he wants to.

Yup. We're idiots.

Actually, I have to exclude myself, because I never bought into his narcissistic line of crap.

Nick B
01-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Many including myself have said it before. When his meds are right and the moon and the stars align...Earl's High-High gear is like no other. Go watch the COM-Day2. You simply can't play better than that.

Nick

alstl
01-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I heard Earl asked a couple years ago about his improved kicking game and he credited Efren.

oldroller
01-16-2014, 11:50 AM
So that's it, then? Earl acts polite and pays Efren a compliment and all the rude, spoiled brat-ish, obnoxious child-like behavior gets a little more palatable?

What idiots we are ---- always blaming his poor behavior on something he just can't help. Yet he seems to be able to control it very well when he wants to.

Yup. We're idiots.

Actually, I have to exclude myself, because I never bought into his narcissistic line of crap.

that needed said!

Bigdogbret
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Earl must have been winning. Earl is often a gracvous winner, complementing his opponent. It is when things are not going well for Earl that he turns into the rude, borish, bad sportsman that so many of us find offensive.
Earl's talent has never been in question. It is his behavior that has hurt him and the game he loves.

itsfroze
01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Earl does bad things that result in lots of bad things being said about him.-------------------> Edit: JUST THIS IDIOTS OPINION <--------------------

I see no reason why when he makes a nice gesture good things aren't appropriate,

or should we only beat him to death on the negative?

Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post

Yup. We're idiots.

Agent 99
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Pool isn't life or death to Earl Strickland ... It's far more important than that.

JBB2388
01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Celtic
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
that needed said!

Why? Because anyone here was not aware how Earl often acts? No, everyone is well aware of Earl and the way he acts often.

God forbid we ever get an autistic pro, or one with Tourette Syndrome, or some other mental disease that affects the way they act and that is beyond their control. Many of you will be right there to mention every little thing they do that you don't agree with.

JAM
01-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Why? Because anyone here was not aware how Earl often acts? No, everyone is well aware of Earl and the way he acts often.

God forbid we ever get an autistic pro, or one with Tourette Syndrome, or some other mental disease that affects the way they act and that is beyond their control. Many of you will be right there to mention every little thing they do that you don't agree with.

At the Glass City Open, Hillbilly snorted right as Keith released the trigger to break the balls. :grin-square:

Keith still hasn't gotten over that snort. :o

westcoast
01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Earl makes pool look like a true sport on that 10 footer- he looks like an athlete manuevering around that table. It allows him to fully let his stroke out. It is very impressive to see

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM

When that day happens I'm sure we'll all be sympathetic towards that person. I know that I will.

Celtic
01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
When that day happens I'm sure we'll all be sympathetic towards that person. I know that I will.

It is already very apparent you would not recognize an actual medically recognizable personality disorder if someone with one was standing right in front of you.

sfleinen
01-16-2014, 01:32 PM
At the Glass City Open, Hillbilly snorted right as Keith released the trigger to break the balls. :grin-square:

Keith still hasn't gotten over that snort. :o

Jennie:

Are you (Keith) sure that was a "snort" and not another emittance ending in the two letters "rt"? Perhaps Keith hasn't gotten over it, because there was an olfactory component of it that Hillbilly "let Keith walk into"... :eek:

:p
-Sean

elizabeth9
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Yup. We're idiots.

Wow- lost all respect for you after that comment!

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow- lost all respect for you after that comment!

Doesn't matter. You're anonymous. I have the guts to stand behind my comments.

elizabeth9
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

You may have guts but NO CLASS!

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
It is already very apparent you would not recognize an actual medically recognizable personality disorder if someone with one was standing right in front of you.

Well what's the official diagnosis? I've been waiting some 30 years to hear what it is. Let's have it, please.

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
You may have guts but NO CLASS!

Like I said, you're anonymous.

1on1pooltournys
01-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Anybody who has followed pool long enough or been around Earl will be able to tell you a story such as this. The man truly loves the game and admires championship play like that of Efren.

If anybody has seen the Accu-Stat tape where Efren makes the "z" kick shot on Earl, then you will see that he applauds and gives an interview after acknowledging how great Efren is. This was back in the 90s.

Earl obviously has demons he battles with and brings a lot of criticisms upon himself, but deep inside their is a good person there, and a true ambassador to the sport.

decent dennis
01-16-2014, 01:49 PM

How is she anonymous? Her name is rightabove her avatar just like your's. What are you trying to say?

FranCrimi
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
How is she anonymous? Her name is rightabove her avatar just like your's. What are you trying to say?

I'm going to let it go for Elizabeth's sake.

elizabeth9
01-16-2014, 01:58 PM
:shrug:How is she anonymous? Her name is rightabove her avatar just like your's. What are you trying to say?

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing!

westcoast
01-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Like I said, you're anonymous.

I think she is Earl's ex-wife- so she isn't really anonymous

elizabeth9
01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
I think she is Earl's ex-wife- so she isn't really anonymous

you are correct!

Celtic
01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Well what's the official diagnosis? I've been waiting some 30 years to hear what it is. Let's have it, please.

If you could please post your entire medical history here in AZB, don't leave out the details and issues of a more "personal" nature.

Once you honestly show through example that a person should have no privacy when it comes to their medical issues and/or history we can begin.

So anyways, is it hemorrhoids that has you in such a bad mood? Need some cream to get rid of some "personal" itching?

Lets go Fran, lets delve into both yours and Earls personal lives and issues just like you wanted.

Celtic (aka Shane Lyons)
Just case you were going to try and play the "zomg, u are just anon!!!" card...

RussPrince
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM

Earl acts like a human when things are going well for Earl. When they're not he acts like Earl. Watch the end of that race to 120 he lost to Efren and you see the true Earl.

Mitchxout
01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Earl acts like a human when things are going well for Earl. When they're not he acts like Earl. Watch the end of that race to 120 he lost to Efren and you see the true Earl.

I was thinking the same thing. If Earl were losing he wouldn't have been so gracious. I admire his game but it stops right there.

Tennesseejoe
01-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Cornerman, you made and excellent post ... but now it's stuck on stupid.

Roger Long
01-16-2014, 10:55 PM
No one can ever say anything positive about someone else on AZB without being blasted for it. No one can ever say anything negative about someone else on AZB without being blasted for it.

AZB is a very balanced forum. :rolleyes:

Roger

CJ Wiley
01-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Earl makes pool look like a true sport on that 10 footer- he looks like an athlete manuevering around that table. It allows him to fully let his stroke out. It is very impressive to see

The 10' table showcases the Game as it was intended......purity, power, and precision....the true sign of athleticism

There's no question that pool IS a sport under these conditions.....it's questionable on bar tables and even on 9' tables with fast cloth/rails. Snooker would be the same way if they suddenly started playing on tables under 12' in their world events.

Tooler
01-17-2014, 05:34 AM

Tap Tap......

warfdiesel
01-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Yup. We're idiots.

Why is it that there is always one person who has to screw a thread up. I'm sure you have done a lot of things in your life that others may not like. I know I have. So does that mean it should be a lynching everytime you name is brought up in a thread or conversation.

Give me a break!! If pool was all you knew for the last 30-35 years or so. And it feed you family and paid your bills you would be emotional to. We need more people with a true passion for the game. I'm not saying you have to act out to have passion, but at least he shows that he doesn't like to lose.

Island Drive
01-17-2014, 09:05 AM
No one can ever say anything positive about someone else on AZB without being blasted for it. No one can ever say anything negative about someone else on AZB without being blasted for it.

AZB is a very balanced forum. :rolleyes:

Roger

Forearm..............................

punter
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
I saw two days of it. Both played well. I'm a fan of both. I have to give a lot of credit to Efren for playing so well on the 5 by 10 with very little time to get used to it. Day 3 was awesome.

PINKLADY
01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Pool isn't life or death to Earl Strickland ... It's far more important than that.

this deserves to be preserved.

PINKLADY
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
you are correct!

that shut her up, real quick - didn't it, Lisa?

Black-Balled
01-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Fran obviously has a different history than the fan population.

I think she should have kept such personal info to herself, but she can put out what she wants, just like the rest of us.

StuartTKelley
01-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Very nice! Thank you for this. Props to both players, two of the best for sure. And regardless of how folks think he "might have acted" if it wasn't going his way, he showed class and gave credit where it was due.

j_zippel
01-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Yup. We're idiots.

Just like to throw out a little Golf Clap for this stupid comment.

j_zippel
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Ain't that the truth

KoolKat9Lives
01-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I love Romper Room. You only have to be over 4 feet tall to get in.

richiebalto
01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
you are correct!

How did it feel or does it feel now, to be Marry to the Best pool player who ever lived?

Earl sure had/ has great taste, cause you are one beautiful women!

Sloppy Pockets
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
The 10' table showcases the Game as it was intended......purity, power, and precision....the true sign of athleticism

There's no question that pool IS a sport under these conditions.....it's questionable on bar tables and even on 9' tables with fast cloth/rails. Snooker would be the same way if they suddenly started playing on tables under 12' in their world events.

I felt this way the first time I saw the pros playing on the 10 footer. It just looks like the way the game is supposed to be played. Many here will say that size don't matter, that the top pros will just run out no matter how big the table. Well, look at the stats from last nights 10-ball challenge match and count how many B&Rs there were.

Sure, maybe the elite players can learn to make the shots almost as well, but there is the matter of having a big enough and controlled enough stroke to get proper shape that won't have you stretched out over 5' of cloth half the time. Anybody notice how few times they actually had to resort to using the bridge? That's because they're good enough to position their rock close enough to reach the next shot with relative ease. The average player is totally incapable of that, and the 10' table would leave them feeling like they were playing on a football field.

I think this week's interview with Greg Sullivan reflects a similar sentiment. We need to showcase our pros on the hardest equipment we can in order for them to distinguish themselves from lesser players who may well be able to run big packages on occasion but would fall short once the equipment gets tough. Tightening up the pockets doesn't do that, it just turns the game into a sharpshooting contest. Plenty of great young players who can shoot real straight, but fall short of the mark on their safety, kicking, and pattern play. This is where the 10' table will punish them until they bring other aspects of their game up to the level of their ball pocketing skills.

Beside, it just looks better. Even big men look dwarfed by the big table, and this make the game appear harder to the casual player used to a 6-7' bar box at the local bar. Some of the best Brit players on the scene now are coming from English blackball. Those guys are fantastic players and I know the game is a lot harder than it looks, but that's just it. It looks easy - almost comically easy - to the uninitiated. Man pitted against giant table looks a lot more challenging and is lot more enjoyable to watch, at least for me.

fasted71465
01-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Yup. We're idiots.

You should save your hate of Earl till it is a thread about something he did wrong. There is plenty of them. I suffer from bi polar just like Earl. If things are going good you are on top of the world, sometimes. When things are just a wee bit wrong it seems like the end of the world and sometimes things can be normal and it still seem like you could just ram your fist through a brick wall. Imagine this, think of a time you were the most angry you have ever been. The pressure inside you makes you want to curse , stomp your feet or beak something. This happens to bi polar people for any little thing or sometimes nothing at all. If you don't vent it some how, well you can't help to vent! I know it is hard to understand unless you have been there and I have. The medication will help but your pool game suffers. When you feel real good you play good, loose and fast. The downside of the medication puts you on an even keel you don't have that manic feel good when you are playing or doing anything. It takes away the very lows and unfortunately, that king of the world feeling when everything is going great. If you can't admire his great achievements in pool and only focus on his bad demeanor, you yourself have a problem too. With all that said, I don't like it when he acts like that, but that doesn't stand in the way of seeing just how good he is.

Danimal
01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I was there on Wednesday night. Up to that point, it was a back and forth affair until both Efren and Earl were at about 15 racks apiece.

When Earl made that comment, he had just pulled out a big shot and was getting out at the end of the rack, and was on his way to securing control of the match. He had his back to Efren when he said it said it, and honestly, I don't think Efren had any clue what Earl was up to. From his vantage point, it could easily have been construed that Earl was posturing to the crowd following a great shot. It's not like he turned to Efren and said it to his face.

I like Earl, and I think his heart is in the right place. However, I think there are better ways (and better times) to pay someone a sincere compliment if that's what you really mean.

PhoenixVA
01-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Based on pure pool skill and passion alone, I am a HUGE fan of Earl Strickland. But it's sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to separate the two, no matter who the athlete is. I call it the Tom Brady Syndrome. People who like Tom Brady love him, because the dude's got skills. But then again, people who hate Tom Brady hate him, because the dude's got skills. If a person is TOO nice, people label them a snobby douche, skilled or not. If a person is NOT nice, people label them an a-hole or worse. Regardless, there are always gonna be haters of both breeds, the douche or the a-hole. I personally don't like Tom Brady (douche-like in my opinion), but I admire his skills. I personally do like Earl, for his skills and passion for the game. If losing doesn't bother a person enough to either be pissed, talk crap, or both, I question that person's passion for the sport. I get pissed every time I lose, not at my opponent, but at myself for not performing up to my expectations or the skill level I have (although it is very low, so it's a low standard...LOL!).

Sloppy Pockets
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I suffer from bi polar just like Earl. If things are going good you are on top of the world, sometimes. When things are just a wee bit wrong it seems like the end of the world and sometimes things can be normal and it still seem like you could just ram your fist through a brick wall. Imagine this, think of a time you were the most angry you have ever been. The pressure inside you makes you want to curse , stomp your feet or beak something. This happens to bi polar people for any little thing or sometimes nothing at all. If you don't vent it some how, well you can't help to vent! I know it is hard to understand unless you have been there and I have.

I'm not sure why everybody says Earl is bi-polar. He may very well be, but only he, his shrink, his confidants... and maybe his ex-wife know for sure. I do know he behaves very poorly at times, but I am able to separate that from his brilliant play, and so, remain a fan. Whatever, though, there is no doubt that Earl suffers from some sort of emotional illness. Yes, Fran, there is actually an illness known as "narcissistic personality disorder". Maybe that is Earl's official diagnosis.

"Fasted", I am pleased that you have come out here with your own mental health issues. I have similar issues. I've never actually gotten an official diagnosis of bi-polar, but I probably fall somewhere along the mood disorder spectrum of illness (maybe cyclothymia?). I refuse to take medication except for the usual booze and a little weed, and I often struggle to keep my emotions in check. Just ask my wife (a licensed psychotherapist) what a roller coaster her life is with me in it. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean when you say you get so angry that you just have to put your fist through the wall. I got to be an expert in drywall repair over the years. I also had a chipped bone in my right hand from punching a cement block wall years ago. I can really relate to what you and Earl must go through. I make no excuses for my own behavior. Like Earl, I spend a lot of time apologizing for my outbursts. But anybody who knows me knows that I am the nicest and sweetest guy in the world 99% of the time and would never hurt anybody intentionally. Just gotta vent at times, and that has kept me from ever getting violent toward another person.

IMO Earl has had a very tough road to travel and the pool world has not been kind to him. If I were him I would have pulled a Bobby Fischer and just walked away from the game. I give him a lot of credit for continuing to put himself in the line of fire, and into situations that are doomed to bring out the worst in him. I find it repulsive that anybody would root for him to have a meltdown instead of rooting for him to display mastery at the table, but I'm not a judgmental person and figure these folks have their own reasons for their behavior. I feel sorry for them. They are missing out on the appreciation of one of the most natural cueists who ever lived. And a real nice guy, apparently, at least when you're not staring down the barrel of his long rifle.

Wedge
01-17-2014, 12:59 PM
If I did my math right the totals were Earl 54 and Efren 49...pretty close in my book!!!

Wedge

KoolKat9Lives
01-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Helluva post SloppyP.

fasted71465
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure why everybody says Earl is bi-polar. He may very well be, but only he, his shrink, his confidants... and maybe his ex-wife know for sure. I do know he behaves very poorly at times, but I am able to separate that from his brilliant play, and so, remain a fan. Whatever, though, there is no doubt that Earl suffers from some sort of emotional illness. Yes, Fran, there is actually an illness known as "narcissistic personality disorder". Maybe that is Earl's official diagnosis.

"Fasted", I am pleased that you have come out here with your own mental health issues. I have similar issues. I've never actually gotten an official diagnosis of bi-polar, but I probably fall somewhere along the mood disorder spectrum of illness (maybe cyclothymia?). I refuse to take medication except for the usual booze and a little weed, and I often struggle to keep my emotions in check. Just ask my wife (a licensed psychotherapist) what a roller coaster her life is with me in it. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean when you say you get so angry that you just have to put your fist through the wall. I got to be an expert in drywall repair over the years. I also had a chipped bone in my right hand from punching a cement block wall years ago. I can really relate to what you and Earl must go through. I make no excuses for my own behavior. Like Earl, I spend a lot of time apologizing for my outbursts. But anybody who knows me knows that I am the nicest and sweetest guy in the world 99% of the time and would never hurt anybody intentionally. Just gotta vent at times, and that has kept me from ever getting violent toward another person.

IMO Earl has had a very tough road to travel and the pool world has not been kind to him. If I were him I would have pulled a Bobby Fischer and just walked away from the game. I give him a lot of credit for continuing to put himself in the line of fire, and into situations that are doomed to bring out the worst in him. I find it repulsive that anybody would root for him to have a meltdown instead of rooting for him to display mastery at the table, but I'm not a judgmental person and figure these folks have their own reasons for their behavior. I feel sorry for them. They are missing out on the appreciation of one of the most natural cueists who ever lived. And a real nice guy, apparently, at least when you're not staring down the barrel of his long rifle.

I have to take medication . I have type 2. This means my swings are mostly from a major depressed mood to very high anxiety. I haven't had too many angry out burst with medication. I have broken thousands of dollars worth of stuff to vent in the past. Earl has heart and feels bad and apologizes when he gets out of line. People with the narcissistic personality disorder don't feel sorry for any of the things that they do. The have no compassion for anyone. In their mind they are perfect and everybody else is below them no matter how sorry of a person they are.

SCCues
01-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I find it repulsive that anybody would root for him to have a meltdown instead of rooting for him to display mastery at the table, but I'm not a judgmental person and figure these folks have their own reasons for their behavior. I feel sorry for them. They are missing out on the appreciation of one of the most natural cueists who ever lived. And a real nice guy, apparently, at least when you're not staring down the barrel of his long rifle.

I agree and very well said.

Randy9Ball
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
A quick question. Does anyone know what glove Earl was wearing on his grip hand and specifically why he wears it?

Sloppy Pockets
01-17-2014, 05:08 PM
A quick question. Does anyone know what glove Earl was wearing on his grip hand and specifically why he wears it?

I think I read somewhere that Earl has gotten to where he doesn't want to feel the cue in his hand. I believe that's a golf glove he was wearing. Between the glove and all the tennis racquet wrap he uses on the cue itself it seems likely that he is insulating his grip from the vibrations of the cue hit.

Personally, I love the feel of the cue hit, and rely on it to tell me how well I'm hitting the ball. Earl is a very highly strung individual. Perhaps he just finds it distracting. It's not like he needs to get tactile feedback to get whitey to obey his wishes, so why add something extra to the mix when it may take away more than he gets out of it?

Pure speculation, of course.

CJ Wiley
01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
I felt this way the first time I saw the pros playing on the 10 footer. It just looks like the way the game is supposed to be played. Many here will say that size don't matter, that the top pros will just run out no matter how big the table. Well, look at the stats from last nights 10-ball challenge match and count how many B&Rs there were.

Sure, maybe the elite players can learn to make the shots almost as well, but there is the matter of having a big enough and controlled enough stroke to get proper shape that won't have you stretched out over 5' of cloth half the time. Anybody notice how few times they actually had to resort to using the bridge? That's because they're good enough to position their rock close enough to reach the next shot with relative ease. The average player is totally incapable of that, and the 10' table would leave them feeling like they were playing on a football field.

I think this week's interview with Greg Sullivan reflects a similar sentiment. We need to showcase our pros on the hardest equipment we can in order for them to distinguish themselves from lesser players who may well be able to run big packages on occasion but would fall short once the equipment gets tough. Tightening up the pockets doesn't do that, it just turns the game into a sharpshooting contest. Plenty of great young players who can shoot real straight, but fall short of the mark on their safety, kicking, and pattern play. This is where the 10' table will punish them until they bring other aspects of their game up to the level of their ball pocketing skills.

Beside, it just looks better. Even big men look dwarfed by the big table, and this make the game appear harder to the casual player used to a 6-7' bar box at the local bar. Some of the best Brit players on the scene now are coming from English blackball. Those guys are fantastic players and I know the game is a lot harder than it looks, but that's just it. It looks easy - almost comically easy - to the uninitiated. Man pitted against giant table looks a lot more challenging and is lot more enjoyable to watch, at least for me.

The 10' table would still be a better game playing 2 Shot Shoot Out (Roll Out) rules.

One foul takes away about 80% from the game because the players can't set up the situations every time.......in one foul they are random, either you try to run out or "duck" and the other guy kicks and tries to "get lucky" (Efren's words)......there's very little strategy involved, it's monotonous.

justadub
01-17-2014, 05:34 PM

Truth. :thumbup:

Excellent thread, Cornerman

Sloppy Pockets
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
The 10' table would still be a better game playing 2 Shot Shoot Out (Roll Out) rules.

One foul takes away about 80% from the game because the players can't set up the situations every time.......in one foul they are random, either you try to run out or "duck" and the other guy kicks and tries to "get lucky" (Efren's words)......there's very little strategy involved, it's monotonous.

The game last night was 10-ball, call shot/call safe, 10-ball must be made last (no early combos or caroms). Did you watch? Way more enjoyable than any 9-ball game and quite challenging even for these two masters (although you'd never know the way they played last night).

10-ball is the game of choice for most viewers today. 9-ball is going the way of the dodo. ;)

Flintlock
01-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Earl Strickland is the Dale Earnhardt of our sport. He keeps it interesting, sometimes with drama, while at the same time putting on a spectacular performance. Our sport needs this and more guys like Earl.