PDA

View Full Version : pool table height, player height

hlymnstr14
01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
does anyone think that shorter players have an advantage playing pool? not to say you can't be tall and be good but is it an advantage to be short.

i have a 7ft diamond pro am which i play pretty well on. i also usually play my best pool on other 7ft diamonds. they seem to set higher than most tables. whenever i go to league where there is a valley table, it just seems like i can't see the angles quite as well and the tables are noticeably lower.

i go to a pool room that has 1 9ft gold crown and they cranked the legs all the way down and i can't see the angles at all. that table must be at least 6 inches shorter than my diamond table.

my father in law has an 8ft valley that he put on 4 inch wheels under the legs (i know :rolleyes:) so that he could move it around when he needs to. i can't miss on that table, i see everything, i bend down and fire, it's so easy to me. that thing is probably a full 4 inches higher than my diamond.

at home, i also play in my socks or bare feet, so that makes me an inch shorter (or the table an inch higher, however you want to look at it). i also think practicing in bare feet or socks can negatively affect you once you go out and have shoes on.

the best player within 100 miles of me is maybe 5ft with his shoes on. :idea2:so what I'm thinking is having my legs surgically removed below my knees and getting really short running blades like that guy from south Africa who ACCIDENTALLY killed his wife so i can play pool better. i just would like a few opinions before i go through with the surgery.:thumbup:

StraightPoolIU
01-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Definitely. Shorter players can overcome reach disadvantage in many ways or with different types of equipment. It's harder for tall players to get into a stance over the cue. Usually it involves a more spread out stance or bend from the waist. Both can be difficult or uncomfortable in small rooms or long sessions. When you go to a pro tournament you'll notice pros over 6ft tall are fewer in number than those under average height.

pwd72s
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm 6'3" and also 70 years old. Yeah, it can be a struggle...but I play strictly for recreation. I also think that the bending & stretching helps me keep moving.

Danimal
01-16-2014, 05:19 PM
At 6'2" I always play better on Diamonds rather than Brunswicks, and I believe that it is for the reason that Diamonds are at least an inch or two higher.

We have an advantage with reach and a higher vantage point to visualize angles. However, less tall players have shorter levers, which lend themselves to more efficient stroke mechanics. Also, they have lower centers of gravity, and that permits better balance and stance stability.

I play ok, but wish at times that I could shrink about 5 or 6 inches just during my time at the table lol.

mr8ball
01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I like playing on the Diamond better then anything. If a table it to low it makes my back hurt worse. I can play a lot longer on the Diamond