PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back into it

The Piper
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
I love billiards. Everything about it. The history, the game, the players. Years ago it just seemed to mean more, and I played everynight. I would leave school, head to the pool hall. Play until 9 - 10 at night. call my parents to come get me. and rinse and repeat. When I finally got my wheels, I would play pool until they kicked me out, and then head over to my favorite river to fish.

As the years progressed and my local pool halls kept closing one by one, and suddenly the game just got hard to play. I literally, had no where within an hour drive, to tables that weren't in serious need of conditioning. So it slowly just dissolved into very random games only ever couple of months.

I haven't played a serious game of pool in years. Then as I was going through some old stuff, I came across my pool cue design. Something that was inspired years ago. I checked the bank account, and while still empty, I'm going to pull the trigger and find me a cue maker to do it. Right now, I'm still waiting for quote requests from several cue makers, and one other who offered the best price, is waiting for my deposit.

Now here's my question...

How do I get back into it? and I mean this in a real simple way, I just lost my stroke. I can't string together more than 3 or 4 balls. I'm just losing focus, and getting frustrated when I play now. Can't stop thinking about... "man 10 years ago, this shot was dead to nuts."

Any tips? Any old drills to start getting my arm warmed back up? Anyone from Massachusetts know of any decent pool halls in the Area of Gillette Stadium? :confused:

Side note: I can't believe I remembered my damn log in information haha

FairladyZ
01-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Sounds like me, 17+ years ago. Just now getting back into it. Set up my own pool room, since there's no pool hall near me.

Good luck and welcome back!

The Piper
01-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Thank you!

Just crazy to think how much the game meant, and then just faded in and out. I still love the game, but it just became harder and harder to play.

Johnnyt
01-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I played pool for about 50 years before I had a heart attack and stroke. After 5 years of rehab I bought a used Valley table to get some exercise. The stroke had erased 85% of my muscle memory of the game. I couldn't make 3 easy cut shots in a row. I couldn't even draw the CB more than a few foot 1 out of 5 times. At least once in 5 the CB would jump over the OB. After a few weeks of not getting anywhere fast I bought basic books and DVD's and started like I never played before. Little by little I got back to the "A" player I had been on a box before.

My advice is to start back from the basic fundamentals and go on from there. It will all come back...I promise. Good luck to you and welcome back to the best game there is. Johnnyt