PDA

View Full Version : History of Derby City

Jerry Forsyth
01-17-2014, 05:44 AM
The Derby City Classic starts next weekend and the founder, Greg Sullivan, just spent a day in my home talking about the history of the event and the trials and tribulations of running such an event.

Greg has a lot of interesting things to say. Read all about it HERE (http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/10927-greg-sullivan-talks-about-derby-city/).

Worminator
01-17-2014, 06:31 AM
The Derby City Classic starts next weekend and the founder, Greg Sullivan, just spent a day in my home talking about the history of the event and the trials and tribulations of running such an event.

Greg has a lot of interesting things to say. Read all about it HERE (http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/10927-greg-sullivan-talks-about-derby-city/).

Great interview Jerry. The Derby City Classic is my absolute favorite pool event ever! I would not miss it for the world. It has inspired my playing, I have met many, many new friends, and get to re-connect with old friends every year.

I would encourage anyone who has never been to go and experience this event first hand. And I encourage those who have gone in the past to come back. The DCC has so much to offer to pool enthusiasts.

And most of all, play in an event. Get in there and mix it up with the best in the world. You won't be disappointed you did!

StraightPoolIU
01-17-2014, 06:34 AM
That was very cool. Totally agree with him regarding his philosophy on 10 foot tables for the pros. Also, it was interesting to hear about what happened with the Executive West that resulted in the move to the Harrah's property. I know a lot of people miss the old place, but it seems like the move was inevitable/unavoidable.

Ken_4fun
01-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I had heard that Greg lost money the first few years.

I did smile to myself as I read the article that he ONLY lost 32K in the second and ONLY 18K in the third. :eek:

Once again, someone who is stuck $100K and still believes and puts his money where his mouth is.

Kudos, I dont know if I could have done it.

Ken

macguy
01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
I had heard that Greg lost money the first few years.

I did smile to myself as I read the article that he ONLY lost 32K in the second and ONLY 18K in the third. :eek:

Once again, someone who is stuck $100K and still believes and puts his money where his mouth is.

Kudos, I dont know if I could have done it.

Ken
That was directly what he lost on the tournaments, but he goes on to say he made money on table sales and promoting his brand that to a large degree offset the tournament losses. It was sort of a push. I think after the second tournament he saw there wast no where to go but up with every tournament a learning experience. Many business lose money in the beginning as they get their footing, but if the business plan is sound and you have faith you move forward making the proper adjustments as needed. He saw the bigger picture and had a vision.

StraightPoolIU
01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
I had never really thought about it before reading what Greg said regarding table sales and the DCC as a way to promote his brand, but it's pretty ingenious. Around the time the DCC started was about the same time Brunswick started to not focus as much on their billiards business. Greg knew market share was up for grabs and hosting one of if not the premiere pool tournament in the United States would allow him to build and expose his brand. If you look at the ever growing prevalence of Diamond tables in the years since it was obvious it was a success. This is especially true considering how long and how deeply Brunswick dominated the market.

TheCueHunter
01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Cool story and interview...I love the Derby, been and Played in each one....And in following my tradition, I will use a DIFFERENT cue this year. 14 years and 14 different cues:grin-square:

Look forward to seeing some of my buddies there

Ken_4fun
01-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Cool story and interview...I love the Derby, been and Played in each one....And in following my tradition, I will use a DIFFERENT cue this year. 14 years and 14 different cues:grin-square:

Look forward to seeing some of my buddies there

Varney this year?

Showman?

Ken

TheCueHunter
01-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Varney this year?

Showman?

Ken

LOL, I didnt get a Showman christmas card?? Actually a Mottey that has never been seen in public. Its a full splice EBONY, "sneaky" looking with ivory joint, ivory ringwork and 2 shafts. Modified slimmer butt by JMW. Plays GREAT...Until I lose then its on the F%$#ING chopping block:thumbup:

briankenobi
01-17-2014, 08:07 AM
great article. This will be my 8th dcc to play in the last 9 years. Always looking forward to it.

Jerry Forsyth
01-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Greg is a very impressive guy. Many of the innovations he has brought to pool tables are "common sense" to him but were never done until he came along. Now manufacturers like Brunswick are copying his ideas.

Before Greg pool tables had metal on the top rail that damaged cue sticks and interfered with proper bridging. Gold crowns had metal corner castings, ashtrays, and scoring counters on the rails. Those are now all gone as Greg showed the world how sacred the top (his words) of a pool table should be. And pockets are now flush instead of sticking up above the rail.

His innovative and 'pool purist' mind has led to the improvement of the product from all manufacturers. The cloth and ball sets he helped design for Simonis and Aramith are still the standards today.

We have a much more in-depth interview with Greg coming up soon that talks about his entire life. His is a rags-to-riches American dream story. He grew up in the housing projects and drove away from here the other day in a Mercedes. And not only did he not have a lot of help along the way (though there are notable exceptions), he kept getting pounded on the entire road and yet persevered.

Greg Sullivan deserves a hug from everyone who has ever held a cue. He has endeavored to make pool a sport instead of a game via standardization and quality of product. And he never gives up.

jhanso18
01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
This was an awesome read!

I am so sad that I will miss the derby this year! I had planned to go, but life got me again this year...

jhanso18
01-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Did he mention what other Harah's he may be looking to put event at?

richiebalto
01-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Jerry is that your house that you live in on your avatar?

If it is or not, that place is awesom, minds me of The Last Fronttier.

Btw nice thread!

nobcitypool
01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Great interview, thanks for posting it. Looking forward to next week at DCC!

12squared
01-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the link, very well written and it was great to hear Greg's version. Very entertaining and informative.

Dave

Mkbtank
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I can't wait. went last year for the first time. The very first thing that I did when I got home was let my wife know that I am going again this year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)