PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tournament math

leto1776
01-18-2014, 04:14 AM
My tournament tonight got moved down from three tables to two. Play will start at 6:30. Playing double elimination 8-ball, race to two, about what should be my cutoff number for players? Must end tonight, preferably by midnight, 1 at the absolute latest.

RiverCity
01-18-2014, 04:50 AM
My tournament tonight got moved down from three tables to two. Play will start at 6:30. Playing double elimination 8-ball, race to two, about what should be my cutoff number for players? Must end tonight, preferably by midnight, 1 at the absolute latest.

Definite no more than 16. An 8 player bracket would be best if you could swing it. You can cut some time by making the losers bracket 1 game sudden death.
The level of players comes into effect as well, are you talking bar bangers or B players and up? Lower skilled players take longer, so closer to that 8 player bracket the better.
Chuck

leto1776
01-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the help, Chuck. We ended up with 15 players, got done well before midnight. Now I have to figure out the format for 9-ball this weekend. Gonna have all three tables available.