PDA

View Full Version : New member with a question on Open Table Bar Rules after break

Mattildo
01-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, here's the scenario:

My opponent breaks and pockets a solid. He calls his shot and shoots again, pocketing another solid---but scratches the cue ball. Now it's my turn. There are two solids down, but is it still an open table -OR- do I have have stripes? This has come up a few times lately in bar play and I can't seem to find a firm answer. I would suspect it's still an open table.

tucson9ball
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, here's the scenario:

My opponent breaks and pockets a solid. He calls his shot and shoots again, pocketing another solid---but scratches the cue ball. Now it's my turn. There are two solids down, but is it still an open table -OR- do I have have stripes? This has come up a few times lately in bar play and I can't seem to find a firm answer. I would suspect it's still an open table.

This answer is for a BCAPL player.
To choose stripes/solids, a player must legally pocket a ball. Since he scratched on the shot, it's not legally pocketed.
It's your turn, open table and ball in hand.
Rules do vary from league to league, so check with the operator to see what the rule is for your league.

Mattildo
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks Chris. I should have indicated that the question came up at a bar I regularly play at (not in any leagues). The other guy plays more often than I do, and this was the first time the issue came up. He insists the table is NOT open after he breaks and the above scenario happens. I asked at least 20 other players since, and all but one said the table IS still open. That's how I've always played it. It just doesn't make sense to me that when breaker gets a ball on the break, then another of the same kind on his first shot--but scratches, gets to claim those two balls as his.

Erosennin
01-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Hey guys, first post, I'm also interested in grasping a better understanding of the more intricate rules.

What about if this scenario was slightly different, in that instead of potting a second ball of that group and scratching, he simply went for the second ball and missed it.

Would that still leave the table open?

hang-the-9
02-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, first post, I'm also interested in grasping a better understanding of the more intricate rules.

What about if this scenario was slightly different, in that instead of potting a second ball of that group and scratching, he simply went for the second ball and missed it.

Would that still leave the table open?

If the rules are that the table is open after the break (which it is in most "real" rules) the table is still open. Exactly same thing as a scratch, you don't get to "own" a group till you make a legal shot, IF the rules you are playing by is open after the break. OR if you had one of each drop on a take what you get rule. In that case, you have not made a group pick till after you pocket a ball after the break, you can't just say "I'll take solids" after the break if you made a solid and a stripe and then miss the first shot.

Erosennin
02-05-2014, 03:41 AM
If the rules are that the table is open after the break (which it is in most "real" rules) the table is still open. Exactly same thing as a scratch, you don't get to "own" a group till you make a legal shot, IF the rules you are playing by is open after the break. OR if you had one of each drop on a take what you get rule. In that case, you have not made a group pick till after you pocket a ball after the break, you can't just say "I'll take solids" after the break if you made a solid and a stripe and then miss the first shot.

Thanks again Hang-the-9.