PDA

View Full Version : Another Speed Shot I Typically Practice

DrCue'sProtege
06-30-2006, 08:41 AM
ok, posters, i hope i get this WEI table to work, so you get the table and not the code.

anyway, these are typical of the shots i like to practice. in this case i use the '9', '7', and '5' Balls to make the landing area(s) small, trying to force myself to use pinpoint control. i pocket the '1' in the side, and come around and try and stop at Point A, then Point B, and finally Point C in order to pocket the '2' in the corner.

any of you other top level players practice these types of drills?
DCP

p.s. Point C didnt show up, but it was down past the '9' Ball

START(
%AZ2E9%Bp2V2%Ed2S7%Gh2O9%Il9K7%P\0O1%Q_0L9%Rf5G1%S o4E8%UL1Z4
%VD2Q3%WZ1H2%X[6N0%Y[0C5%ZZ3E0%[W2D5%\Y0E9%]D6O8%^U4C9%eB4a4
%_Z2Q1%`S9V2%aM9Z9
)END

DaveK
06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
This shot, like most of the others you have posted lately, is a shot detailed in Hennings Pro Book. Based on your post you practice it about the way Bob suggests, playing the same route with different weights to different end positions. Keep it up !

I practice this shot a lot, although I am not a top player. Normally I will play it with the object ball on the center line of the table, but knowing the limits when it is above or below the hole is important too. There are also a variety of other routes from the same side pocket pot that I practice :

- top (or top left) to follow into the long rail-shortrail-longrail as you posted
- top-right (inside) to follow into the long rail, check spin down to the short rail, check spin back straight up table (this shot goes between center and the pot side pocket)
- centerball down to the short rail and straight back uptable (plus slight right or left to bring it back uptable at an angle)
- center-right into the short rail, spin to the long rail (on the same side as the pot), back to the center
- low-left into the short rail, spin to the long rail (opposite side as pot), back to the center
- loads-of-draw back to the opposite long rail then to the short rail (right side as needed, with this you can go three rails to the center in the opposite direction to what you diagram)

That shot has loads of shape possibilities. It's one of my favorites to practice in case you can't tell :D And it has served me well as I find getting the perfect angle is often beyond my capabilities, hell even getting on the right side of the ball can be tough for me, and having a choice of routes out of my self-created mess is essential.

Dave

PS, the table showed up fine in the post, well done. That shot you posted could be done with a dead center hit as indicated, but a little top-left could be used to make it go on a wider path. Do you know that you can adjust the cue ball hit point on these WEI diagrams ? Just drag the balck dot around the cueball to the desired location. I think that many use the WEI table to show routes and set-ups, but do not bother to indicate the hit on the cue ball. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out, although as I said in this instance the hit could be dead center.

DrCue'sProtege
06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah, thanks for the reminder about the cueball tip Dave, i had forgot.
and this is another typical speed shot i will practice. using a little low left to get position on the '2' ball at Points A, B, and C.

DCP

START(
%AG7J9%Bo7W2%E`2U9%Fe5P8%Ij7L3%PR5Q6%Q\0O6%Rd4I2%S m7F4%UW9R5
%VM5Z6%WD1D7%XG1J0%YI2L4%ZQ3Q0%[D5N6%\G0K9%]L2Z0%^D0P2%eB0b0
)END

DaveK
06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
and this is another typical speed shot i will practice. using a little low left to get position on the '2' ball at Points A, B, and C.

This is shot #4 (or maybe #5) from the Pro Book, another valuable shot.

Dave

Black Cat 5791
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I've been using Henning's Pro Book for the past 4 years, and I'm actually doing the Advanced Pro Book Now.

DCP, I'm curious are you using the Pro Book Taining Series as well or are you just trowing out situations that your regularly faced with?

With the PB Series the premise with most of the reference shots are to get back to the middle of the table for most normal situations. Then you also have extended versions that would take you to an extended rail for position on down table shots.

With this system for basic shots and positon your working to center table w/ a five in diameter target. For extended down table positions your shooting for a 10 inch diameter target.

So, with these things in mind playing for shot windows on the center line may be a little ambitious, I think your being a little hard on your self to expect that much precision.

If getting to a target area with practiced speed which is a little firmer than a center table speed then it will be repeatable more often than not.

I hope this makes sense :)

Black Cat :cool:

DrCue'sProtege
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
well, yes, i am trying to be hard on myself, trying to make it very difficult to get that precision cue ball control. isnt that the way to practice? to make it difficult on yourself?

and speaking of, here is another of the speed shots that i work on. i usually use about a tip of left english on this shot, and try and get position for the '2' Ball at Points A, B, and D.

DCP

START(
%An2H3%BG0H5%DL1S4%EP4O0%IT4J8%Pm2V5%QX5P0%RQ0U1%T F3V9%Wm7J1
%Xl9U3%Yr3D3%Zn8G3%[i9D8%\l7G8%][6O3%^h4D6%eA9a5
)END

DrCue'sProtege
06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
and this is the typical speed exercise i use for draw shots. straight in, and try and draw the cue ball back to Point A and Point B for position in between the balls on the '2'.

DCP

START(
%AN0I9%Bm5H3%E_5M1%Fe2Q1%Ik1T4%P_7R9%Q[7R5%Re8V3%WE0D9%XL6I3
%YO9K0%Z^6R4%eB4a4%_W5P2%`R9M6%aN8K3
)END

Black Cat 5791
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
START(
%An2H3%BG0H5%Cr6U2%DH0D4%ES1Z4%Pm2V5%Wm7J1%Xl9U3%Y r3D3%Zn8G3
%[i9D8%\l7G8%][6O3%^h4D6%eA9a5
)END

DCP

Using your initial setup how would you run this to eventually play the 5 in the lower right corner pocket.

DrCue'sProtege
06-30-2006, 12:47 PM
not sure how to use the WEI table to show that, doesnt appear to be enough lines?

anyway, if you can decipher this:
left english on the '1' and go one rail for position on the '2'. dont want to take a chance at hitting the '5' so low left is out. probably high with a half tip of inside english to come back uptable for the '3'. then come down table off the '3' using one rail, or perhaps two rails, to about where the tip of the rack is at. pocket the '4' and drift across for the '5' in the lower right.

hope that makes sense.
DCP

Black Cat 5791
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
That's exactly what I had in mind, the key to getting it started is getting from the 1 to the 2 somewhere in the area of the lower left hand corner then playing through the middle of the table extended positions to work the angles. All of which would be accomplished with the little harder than normal speed with english to get position on the next shot. Each one of these shots are reference shots from the PB, just tied all together.

Funny how that all works out :)

Colin Colenso
06-30-2006, 11:39 PM
DCP,
Some of this stuff you are working on is high precision speed judgement. I rarely even worry about this until I get onto the specific table that the competition is on.

It's a bit like a marathon runner focusing on the course, his diet, his shoes, but actually not running the miles in his preparation.

From what I've seen of your posts, it seems your basic shot knowledge and potting abilities are holding you back. You ought to be working more on that doing things like playing the 6 ball ghost or the drivermaker challenge and other such drills that require constant potting combined with positional thinking and execution.

Once you can pot well, position isn't so hard and you want to avoid the type of positional shots you are showing above.

Good luck,
Colin

StevenPWaldon
07-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

DCP,
Some of this stuff you are working on is high precision speed judgement. I rarely even worry about this until I get onto the specific table that the competition is on.

It's a bit like a marathon runner focusing on the course, his diet, his shoes, but actually not running the miles in his preparation.

From what I've seen of your posts, it seems your basic shot knowledge and potting abilities are holding you back. You ought to be working more on that doing things like playing the 6 ball ghost or the drivermaker challenge and other such drills that require constant potting combined with positional thinking and execution.

Once you can pot well, position isn't so hard and you want to avoid the type of positional shots you are showing above.

Good luck,
Colin