PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack

KingCarom
05-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Sapolis-

I just saw your reply on the Tucker thread, didnt know you were a member here.

Are you by chance going to continue to write about billiards? I have really enjoyed all your insight and advice in the past. I noticed your site has not been updated in some time.

Are you posting your work elsewhere these days?

Blackjack
05-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I have been busy putting together the new and recently updated version of Lessons in 9 Ball. I had a falling out with the publisher that wanted me to basically turn the book into a biography of hustling stories. When I refused, they held up teh release of the book, which was due to be distributed on December 12. I recently had the material released back to my control and I am in the process of re-editing it with the plan to distribute in on my own. I am feverishly working 18 hour days to meet a personal deadline of Jue 1.

Personally, I do not have a web site. My writings and articles are displayed on many sites and regional billiard pblications. I have had most of my work displayed at my yahoo group. Along with trying to get Lessons in 9 Ball out, I am still doing full time private and group instructions, seminars, as well as trying to fit in 6 - 8 hours of practice (I am planning a return to professional play this year). So I am probably one of the busiest men in pool right now, which is a good thing. I have had quite a few delays due to my battles with cancer, and with a clean bill of health, a lot of determination, and unbreakable focus, I plan on achieving every goal that I have set for myself this year.

KingCarom
05-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Great to hear you are feeling better and have clear goals.

If you are EVER up in the Pacific Northwest it would be my honor to have you over for a beer and pay you for a lesson or two. I live in Seattle. Ryleyf@hotmail.com

I have always read your work at:

http://www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm

Do you have other work elsewhere you can turn me on to?

For all other readers of the board...heed the word of Blackjack.

bruin70
05-21-2003, 05:24 PM
just came back from your site, and the issue of "gambling" caught my eye. i tend to agree with you.

it is unfortunate that gambling seems to be the prevailing method of improving. i understand the reasons, but i don't wholeheartedly agree that it will improve one's game IN THE LONG RUN. i've heard all the reasons. the aim of gambling, money, has finite results. once a player starts winning money he has no reason to improve as his goal has been met.

improvement comes from within, and this is where the phrase "i am my own worst critic" comes from. improvement also comes from playing and watching and maybe emulating those who are better,,,,pros. with this point of view, one will improve always, because he is never satisfied.

jjinfla
05-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey Blackjack, After you complete your book and publish it why not write one that your former publisher wants? A book of hustling. He is in the business to make money and probably has a pretty good handle on what will sell. Your current book will be your baby, your true love, your legacy. The book on hustling will be your meal ticket. Let your creative juices flow and put in print all the true hustles, the almost true hustles, and the completely false hustles that you have been involved in, wished you were involved in or heard about over the years. You would be surprised at how many people would eat that stuff up. Everybody believes that pool is about hustling so why not give them what they want? Jake

Blackjack
05-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Pool is not just about hustling.

I had explained to the reps at the publishing company that my life was not just a big a hustling story. I have a book on my life halfway finished, and it covers that part of my life, but it also covers my life as a room owner, police officer, father, and cancer survivor. They were not impressed, but that's my life. When I was asked to embellish, I decided to cut ties.

I would not want to write such a book that glorifies that part of the game of pool, as I am connected to many of the game's tragedies such as Mike Carella and Louie Roberts. Those guys were close buddies of mine. They lived the life and paid the ultimate price in the end. The stories might seem entertaining and romantic to those who were not involved directly, but most of the stories I have are about how I dug a hole for myself spiritually, mentally and physically. I would never recommend that anybody get involved in the sitautions I was in. Any reference to my days in the road would be laid down as an example of what not to do. It was a lot of fun at times, but there was also a lot of fear, disappointment and heartbreak, and that is what I remember most, not the money.

Rickw
05-21-2003, 09:35 PM
David,

Very well said!! I've seen what hustling does to people and fortunately for me, I have never gotten the bug. I have to admit, though, rather shamelessly I might add, that I have thoroughly enjoyed being a railbird which certainly helps to encourage others to gamble. The very few who have profited from hustling monetarily in the long run do not seem to profit morally or spiritually. It's too bad you had to go through such turmoil but it sounds like you've come out of it a better person. I for one have enjoyed reading your posts. They are enlightening, sincere and always presented in an articulate manner. Please continue to share your insight and knowledge.

Tnanks, Rick

jjinfla
05-22-2003, 07:58 AM
Blackjack, Life is one big hustle, and besides that, it is a terminal disease. People are quick to call wrestling phony, but show me one movie that is not phony. As a former cop you dealt with all the phony people out there on a daily basis. Ever perform a weekend divorce? Hard to keep a straight face while the parties place their hand on your shield and you say the sacred words, "by the power invested in me by the mayor of the city of Chicago I declare you divorced until 8am on monday morning." Or when asked "how fast was I going Office" and you answered, "About $10 over the limit". Those were the good old days. LOL. Actually, the good days are here right now, enjoy them while you can is my motto. Anybody who doesn't associate pool and pool rooms with gambling/hustling is just putting their head in the sand. The tournaments are just a venue to get the players together so that they can go off on the side and play their high stakes games. Such is life. The public views all cops as crooks on the take and all pool players as hustlers. That is their perception and nothing will change it. Of course we both know that it doesn't apply to you and me. LOL. But it is your choice and if you don't want to write about the seedy side of pool so be it. I do suggest you slow down and smell the roses and enjoy life. Wearing your body out is no way to fight cancer. Jake~~~had it 4 1/2 years ago and still surviving. The wife is going on 8.

Blackjack
05-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Blackjack, Life is one big hustle, and besides that, it is a terminal disease. People are quick to call wrestling phony, but show me one movie that is not phony. - From JJ

I do not believe that life is one big hustle, each day is a gift from the Lord, and it is measured by how you shape your life around it. My head is not in the sand, as I have used my gifts as a player and instructor positively for years. I believe it comes down to who you surround yourself with, and who you associate yourself with. There is a large Christian-based movement within our sport that is designed to promote the positive involvement of the players and the industry within the community. This is evident by the works of Mike Massey, Tom Rossman, Tommy Kennedy, myself, Loree Jon Jones, James Rempe, Robin Dodson, and many, many others. As many promote that negative angle of our sport (gambling/hustling), we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot as we push ourselves farther and farther from the mainstream. Greed attracts more greed, and the current state of affairs in pool (in relation to this seedy image) are evident in the success of Pool Hall Junkies, a movie that was not even released where I live. There is not as big of a market for those types of stories as you would think. Hardcore players who love anything that has to do with pool supported the movie, but the timing of the release, along with a lukewarm reception from the mainstream public killed the movie within a few weeks. I believe a story of excitement, honesty and inspiration is much more well received. Anybody will be able to read my book "Chasing The Dream" and they would be able to walk away with a better perspective of our sport and the people in it, as well as gaining perspective into other areas of life that I have participated in (including professional wrestling).....

jjinfla
05-23-2003, 05:13 AM
Well Blackjack, At this time writing a book about pool is most likely not a money making proposition. I wonder how many copies of their books Ewa, Martin, Grady, Byrne, Monk, Tucker, Huber, Campana, etc, sold. Probably less than 5,000. Unfortunately, most of the people in the pool fraternity don't read. Sure there are a couple hundred on the message boards that are intelligent and have an alphabet behind their signature, but they are in the minority when you think of the so called millions of people playing the game. Hopefully, your book will be out soon and I will be able to purchase a copy. Just keep in mind that not all people read to gain knowledge; many read for the pure pleasure of it, to be placed in a fantasy world that allows them to escape from their own everyday problems. And you are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to problems. There are many people with problems. How would you like to be a Pigmy where cannibals are hunting you to cut you up and eat you. Just heard that on the radio. And you forgot to mention the Preacherman. And I hear that TK used to be a pretty heavy gambler at one time. But he seems to have his act together now. Found the Lord. Good for him. Life is not always peaches and cream. LOL. Good luck with your book. Jake

Rickw
05-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Jake,

I doubt Blackjack will want to write the book after what you just said, LOL! i reely take ofense at wat u said about pool plaers not being able to rite and reed, LOL!!! we aint all stupid!