PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Sigel playing the role of Grady Sessions??

RottenRodney
07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
What is this Mike the Mouth, stuff anyway? I've know Mike Sigel for many years. He's always been a confident player, but never a brash braggert.He is known for chirping, but not constant bragging. His sobrique has always been "Captain Hook", not Mike the Mouth.

Mike is playing a role to set up a good guy, bad guy finals match. The boxing game has done this stuff for years.

Good Luck to the Captain.

JustPlay
07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Who is Grady Sessions?

TannerPruess
07-01-2006, 01:04 PM
He means Grady Seasons that was played by Keith McCready in The Color Of Money. :cool:

billiardbum
07-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Mike - LEARN THE NEW PLAYERS - They have been on the scene for lots of years, and play pretty good...Putnam, Deuel, Feijen, Immonen, Owen - These guys play pretty good I would say. Not bashing the IPT ( I love it) but Come on Mike....I have to watch it muted...BTW Karen and Allison play pretty good too. I love Mike too, he is a LEGEND, but come on give the new guys some respect...Sorry needed to vent.

macguy
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Mike - LEARN THE NEW PLAYERS - They have been on the scene for lots of years, and play pretty good...Putnam, Deuel, Feijen, Immonen, Owen - These guys play pretty good I would say. Not bashing the IPT ( I love it) but Come on Mike....I have to watch it muted...BTW Karen and Allison play pretty good too. I love Mike too, he is a LEGEND, but come on give the new guys some respect...Sorry needed to vent.

It is completely put on. If you spend any time with Sigel you will find is favorite subject is Mike Sigel, but he never says anything bad about other players, in fact quite the opposite. If you remember any of his past commentary on accu-stats or TV, he is always complementing the players shooting, if anything over complementary, every shot is great or amazing, or his favorite term "Unbelievable". What he is doing on the PIT broadcasts is completely contrived. I believe at some time in the near future he is going to make some kind of statement regarding the wrestling type of thing they are doing. It is hard to believe he wants his legacy, at least with current players and fans as a complete a$$ h&^%, no one would want that. He should rethink the deal he has made and if he has anything to say about it, lighten up a little with the fake commentary..

Scottster
07-01-2006, 04:57 PM
It is completely put on. Mike Sigel never says anything bad about other players, What he is doing on the PIT broadcasts is completely contrived.
Sorry macguy, I beg to differ, he has always been a pompass ass, with an ego that, he thinks, makes him bigger than the game.

Some of his comments on the I PiTy broadcasts have been a lil sarcastic, bit he is definately an @$$.

jjinfla
07-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I know it will be a shock to most of you but there are a bunch of people who are now watching OLN who have no idea who Mike Sigel is. And this from all the people who moved here from the NE who all say they played with Mosconi. How great they used to be. All of em unknown pros. And can't make three friggin balls. Talk is cheap.

And of course Mike is performing for the audiance

I have met him three times and you all have to admit that once he gets his mouth in motion it is hard to stop. When Mike talks - everybody else just listens.

And you have to like that clip with Gabe Owen where he looks at the camera and says something like, hey Mike, you have to remember it is not 1978 anymore.

Somehow, I don't think Gabe is afraid of Mike. LOL.

Ah, you got to love it.

It's Showtime.

Jake

macguy
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry macguy, I beg to differ, he has always been a pompass ass, with an ego that, he thinks, makes him bigger than the game.

Some of his comments on the I PiTy broadcasts have been a lil sarcastic, bit he is definately an @$$.

How do you account for all the other commentaries he has done, none of which sound anything like this? Everything any player does, even if routine is "Unbelievable". His commentary he is doing now is very contrived for what ever reason they have decided to do it that way. There is a difference between someone with an ego, even one that can be as excruciating as his and someone who bad mouths people for no reason, Mike does not do that.

He is always complementing a players play, even if the guy is playing him. I saw him lose a match to a local guy 11 to 10 that should never have won. The guys wife was sitting there and after winning they were all very excited. Mike went over and told the guy how good he played said hello to the wife and family, had some pool related conversation before leaving. He didn't do anything to taint the guys victory as I have seen so many players try to do.

Scottster
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Macguy,

I dont want to continue this conversation in the public room anymore. I was initially going to send you a private message but couldn't find your private message icon.

If you want to discuss it more I would rather do it through PM's.

cptbreak
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Why? You rather bash him in public but not say a decent word except in private? Do you even know him personally....I think not! Hey guys it's all hype! Poster boy for the IPT, every sport has one.

CaptainHook
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
http://www.internationalpooltour.com/ipt_content/ipt_players/bio/m_sigel.aspWhat is this Mike the Mouth, stuff anyway? I've know Mike Sigel for many years. He's always been a confident player, but never a brash braggert.He is known for chirping, but not constant bragging. His sobrique has always been "Captain Hook", not Mike the Mouth.

Mike is playing a role to set up a good guy, bad guy finals match. The boxing game has done this stuff for years.

Good Luck to the Captain.

I don't like the "Mike the Mouth" stuff either. Just hype to attract TV viewers. I was alyways called "Cap" , my real name is Mike, and Sigel was and always has been my favorite player, he was a huge influence on me.
So when it said fka (formerly known as Captian Hook) all my friends were like, your now Captain Hook. At least I spell it corectly.

Eric.
07-12-2006, 12:23 PM
At least I spell it corectly.

This is too funny, Mike. :eek:

Eric

jjinfla
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
The director says, "Here is your script Mike"

Mike reads it and says, "This is not me"

Director: "You will be paid $125,000"

Mike: "roll the cameras"

coreyh
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Agreed. I finally caught up with the IPT broadcasts a couple of days ago. Mike's commentary has definitely been an over-the-top act to set himself up as the villain in the final.

One of the IPT's aims is to bring in casual viewers that don't know one player from another. Casual fans need someone to root for or root against. Without any prior exposure to their personalities, the IPT is trying to speed up the process by producing the short biographical pieces that aired during the telecasts. It is similar to the Olympics, where the host network leads into the coverage of any sport with a biographical or news piece to create a backstory.

Mike Sigel acted his role well by playing the villainous "Champ" that the casual fan can root against in the final.

It's like any form of sports and entertainment. You see it quite a bit in Nascar and wrestling. When you are introduced, the only thing worse than being booed is silence.