PDA

View Full Version : AZ Tournament / Party - Who is interested ?

thepoolroom
07-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I am thinking of planning an AZ Tournament at the POOL ROOM in Duluth, GA on Saturday, July 29/30th.

The event will be a Pool and Poker Tournament with an outing in Atlanta on Sunday which would take us to see the Braves -vs- NYM on Sunday at Turner Field or a Golf outing.

The package deal will include:
Tournament Entry Fees (Pool & Poker)
A Dinner at the POOL ROOM on Sat & Sun Braves Tickets and 1 nights lodging if needed.

I estimate a total package cost at (With Braves Tickets & 1 night stay)
Maximum cost $150 per person minimum $100 per person

I estimate a total package cost at (With Golf Outing & 1 night stay)
Maximum cost $200 per person minimum $150 per person

The Dinners would be your choice of Steak, Baby Back Ribs or Salmon.

If I can get enough people interested I'm sure the Owner of the POOL ROOMS would be willing to donate additional cash for prizes for the Pool and Poker events. The Pool Room is already donating FREE table time and some prizes.

If you are interested in attending this event please respond to this post and vote in the pole for Baseball, Golf or NO Sunday Activity.

If there are any companies that would like to donate prizes for this event please contact Mike Janis at poolroommj@yahoo.com or respond in this thread.

Thanks,

Mike Janis

Timberly
07-02-2006, 06:31 AM
I hope this works out for you guys... I like the idea and if I were still living in SC, I'd make the trip down for this. Pool is tough in the summer because people want to be outdoors enjoying the nice weather and this idea gives people that but also keeps them playing pool. I think it's a nice combination and those of you in that area should look into trying this out. I've heard that the pool room is a jam up pool room and I know from experience how much fun the Braves games are (esp in the "new" stadium). Good luck with this!
;)

Williebetmore
07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
I am thinking of planning an AZ Tournament at the POOL ROOM in Duluth, GA on Saturday, July 29/30th.

Thanks,

Mike Janis

MJ,
Sounds great, but conflicts with the WPBA Peoria tournament and the IPT Vegas tournament. Good luck with the venture.

MikeJanis
07-02-2006, 12:45 PM
MJ,
Sounds great, but conflicts with the WPBA Peoria tournament and the IPT Vegas tournament. Good luck with the venture.

I'm sorry about the date conflicts but we could always get updates on the events at the POOL ROOM maybe even set up a small player auction between the participants as to the outcome of the IPT and WPBA events.

Mj

smittie1984
07-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure how well Pool Players can convert to Golfers. And if the object is to get people from around the country there is no better way to start a fight than taking sports fanatics to teams they may possibly hate. However I like the ideas.

My nerdy side would be there for sure if it was to the Georgia Aquarium. (I have got to see that place) I think Stone Mountain could be a possibility. Even the possibility of Jillians at Discover Mills. (Isn't that Medievel Times restaraunt there like in "The Cable Guy"?). Also for those who can't stand being away from a pool table for more than 5minutes Jillians I believe has a pool hall. But at $20+ an hour I doubt there will be many takers.

Just felt like throwing out some ideas. Best of luck with it.

thepoolroom
07-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure how well Pool Players can convert to Golfers. And if the object is to get people from around the country there is no better way to start a fight than taking sports fanatics to teams they may possibly hate. However I like the ideas.

My nerdy side would be there for sure if it was to the Georgia Aquarium. (I have got to see that place) I think Stone Mountain could be a possibility. Even the possibility of Jillians at Discover Mills. (Isn't that Medievel Times restaraunt there like in "The Cable Guy"?). Also for those who can't stand being away from a pool table for more than 5minutes Jillians I believe has a pool hall. But at $20+ an hour I doubt there will be many takers.

Just felt like throwing out some ideas. Best of luck with it.

WHY would you want to go to Jillians when the events are at the POOL ROOM? If anything you should spend the extra time visiting the other pool room in Marietta. The Duluth Pool Room where the event would be held has one of the BEST restaurants in town along with 23 Gold Crown IV Tables. The Marietta Pool Room has 39 9' Tables.

Additionally, if you would like to come to the area to visit and wouldn't want to partake in a group activity like Baseball or Golf I could help you get tickets to any event or fascility. Think of it as pool + vacation.

Mj

Timberly
07-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure how well Pool Players can convert to Golfers.
They convert quite well... just ask John Schmidt, Johnny Archer, Stevie Moore, Kim Davenport, Allen Hopkins, Shawn Putnam, or Corey Deuel.... :D

I'm not sure why you would suggest Jillians which ultimately is a competitor of The Pool Room. :confused: I haven't been to The Pool Room but everyone from players to the editors of billiard magazines have raved about the place.

I've been to a Jillians (should be switching over to Dave & Busters if it hasn't already because they were bought out by them)... I would rather go to a Pool Room where pool is respected by players than a place that has a game room with a million kids and you're surrounded by bangers that don't have the first clue about pool etiquette...all the while you're paying double/triple what you would anywhere else for stuff that's half the quality. JMHO ;)

As far as starting fights amongst people that dislike a certain team.... it is the persons choice to go to the sporting event... no one is making them do it. Also, in larger cities like Dallas, Atlanta, etc and their surrounding towns, there are tons of bars that have bus trips to major sporting events. Happens all the time..... A local bar used to do bus trips to the Dallas Stars hockey games when I lived there.... $30 paid for the ride there & back (dropped off & picked up at the front door), all the beer you wanted to drink on the bus, and a ticket to the game. No one ever got into a fight.

smittie1984
07-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Settle down people. I was making suggestions.

Also I would not consider Jillians competition for the Pool Room. Jillians is a video/bowling/fun activity center that generally has something for everyone. The Pool Room has Pool. Which is also why it gets better pool players compared to Jillians. Not to mention rental fees much cheaper. I use to go to the Pool Room in Duluth just about everynight for a while. I've dumped countless amounts of money in there.

But from what I understand "Thepoolroom" wanted to do something besides pool with AZbilliards members. He suggested going to a braves game or to a Golf Course. Both I'm sure would be fun.

Now if you guys want how I truly feel about the ideas then here I go.
The braves game would be nice but at $8 for a beer and also dealing with Downtown evening traffic on top of the bums it can sometimes be a hastle to go to.

Golf would be nice but suppose I came to the event from out of state. Chances are I'd like to hang out with my fellow pool players. I have never golfed in my life. I've been to every single country club in Atlanta installing pool tables. But never have played golf on any golf course. So for me Golf would be out. I'd be a burden on everyone there.

I also mentioned Stone Mountain. It has fishing, GOLF, trails, trains, food, a laser show with fireworks. Not to mention a waterpark and beach. Rental boats, history, auto museum, put-put, tennis, skylift, and much more. It's also something you could take your wife/husband and kids/lack of kids to.

As for the competition. I work for a pool table company. Does that mean I can't interact with other pool table companies around town? Some act like that in the business world a company can't interact with another company. Like there is some evil rival where we throw cocktail bombs at each other. Do you think Led Zeppelin only listened to their own albums? Because by listening to a Skynyrd album they would have increased sales of their competition.

As I said before. These where suggestions that I thought of in probably about a 1second period.

Timberly
07-02-2006, 07:39 PM
As for the competition. I work for a pool table company. Does that mean I can't interact with other pool table companies around town? Some act like that in the business world a company can't interact with another company. Like there is some evil rival where we throw cocktail bombs at each other. Do you think Led Zeppelin only listened to their own albums? Because by listening to a Skynyrd album they would have increased sales of their competition.

As I said before. These where suggestions that I thought of in probably about a 1second period.
As an adult group outing, I would think something geared towards sports like the ballgame would work better than a place like Jillians.(of course that's simply my opinion ;) ) The price for a beer at Jillians is also comparable to that of the stadium, esp since they were bought out. (One of my best friends has bartended at Jillians for 6 yrs and was recently discussing how much the price of drinks has gone up since the buy out).

thepoolroom
07-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Settle down people. I was making suggestions.

Also I would not consider Jillians competition for the Pool Room. Jillians is a video/bowling/fun activity center that generally has something for everyone. The Pool Room has Pool. Which is also why it gets better pool players compared to Jillians. Not to mention rental fees much cheaper. I use to go to the Pool Room in Duluth just about everynight for a while. I've dumped countless amounts of money in there.

But from what I understand "Thepoolroom" wanted to do something besides pool with AZbilliards members. He suggested going to a braves game or to a Golf Course. Both I'm sure would be fun.

Now if you guys want how I truly feel about the ideas then here I go.
The braves game would be nice but at $8 for a beer and also dealing with Downtown evening traffic on top of the bums it can sometimes be a hastle to go to.

Golf would be nice but suppose I came to the event from out of state. Chances are I'd like to hang out with my fellow pool players. I have never golfed in my life. I've been to every single country club in Atlanta installing pool tables. But never have played golf on any golf course. So for me Golf would be out. I'd be a burden on everyone there.

I also mentioned Stone Mountain. It has fishing, GOLF, trails, trains, food, a laser show with fireworks. Not to mention a waterpark and beach. Rental boats, history, auto museum, put-put, tennis, skylift, and much more. It's also something you could take your wife/husband and kids/lack of kids to.

Smittie, I like your idea about Stone Mountain. If we get enough interest in people coming to an event like this I will add it to a poll in a new post.

Personally, I don't know how I didn't think of it. I can see Stone Mountain from the top of my street and I take my daughter there on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input.

Mj