PDA

View Full Version : Monica Webb Article in Atlanta Paper

ScottR
07-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that a very nicely written article is on the front page of the sports section in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today (Sunday, July 2). In addition to being a positively written story (in spite of a few references to "sharks", etc.), I was impressed because it was written by one of the paper's senior writers; not an unknown beat writer. As a matter of fact, it is the lead article with the largest headline on the sports section; bigger than the Braves, NASCAR, the World Cup and the women's U.S. Open golf! It even had a 1/4 page color pic of Monica breaking and another smaller color picture. :D

It talks about Monica growing up in her parents pool hall, the IPT, the WPBA, gambling (not hustling, according to Monica) and life on the tournament trail.

If I can get the electronic copy (and avoid the copyright police! :eek: ) or make a decent scan of it, I'll post it later today. On the other hand, if you want to give up your life history, you can go to the paper's website and read the article online. They want WAAYYYY too much information for me to get it that way! :rolleyes:

Have a great Independence Day weekend everyone!

Timberly
07-02-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that Atlanta is doing something to promote professional pool in a good light. I bought a paper today for the 1st time in a long time and they're acutally putting out a little magazine type sports section on Sundays now. I was tempted to write them a letter suggesting that with all the pool leagues in this area and the start of the IPT and all the great regional tours less than two hours from us, they should consider to start including billiards along with their bowling, softball, strength training, squash, sports cards auctions, volleyball, gymnastics, summer camp, lacrosse, martial arts, fishing, coaching, and everything else under the sun listings that they have in their little magazine. These are all things that are listed in this magazine.... there's more but you get the picture. ;)

Kudos to the Atlanta Journal Constitution for stepping up and spotlighting pro pool positively and on the front page of the sports section!

The only thing that would've been better would be if they had also included a male pro player from the area.... Archer comes to mind. Generally when pool gets press time, it's all about the women because they're more marketable and the average Joe Schmo is still enamoured by a chick that can run a few balls. :rolleyes:

Williebetmore
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
and the average Joe Schmo is still enamoured by a chick that can run a few balls. :rolleyes:

T-girl,
You make this sound like a bad thing.

Signed,
J. Schmo

Timberly
07-02-2006, 09:55 AM
T-girl,
You make this sound like a bad thing.

Signed,
J. Schmo
Believe me, I've met plenty of people due to my being able to run a few balls (back when I could anyway). Generally speaking, there's nothing really "wrong" with it. The problem lies in the fact that the men are constantly being over looked by sponsors and the press because of it.

ScottR
07-02-2006, 10:11 AM
top of page 1 . . . .

ScottR
07-02-2006, 10:12 AM
bottom of page 1 . . . .

ScottR
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
and, the rest of the story . . . .

Johnnyt
07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks Scott. Nice artical, but I hope the IRS isn't reading it. Johnnyt

onepocketchump
07-02-2006, 10:52 AM
The IRS isn't reading this version online that's for sure. It's Monica's business and if she was worried about it she shouldn't have put it in the paper.

I don't think she earned 50gs on tour though. They only have eight tournaments and I don't think she finished top four in all of them. Maybe I'm wrong. Where's the money list online? SJM - you're the keeper of the stats....

John

smittie1984
07-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll have to check out my Sunday paper. I rarely glance at the sports section but I will this time. (For the first time in years at that).

It's a cool picture of the break. However I think if they could have gotten a picture of her hitting the cueball and watching the stick bend how it does. It would be an interesting photo also.

As for the AJC. I read it because I have to keep up to date with local stories. But it really is one of the worste papers on the planet. I'll keep my political side down here and save it for the NPR but it looks like a good article.

I would also enjoy seeing an Article about Johnny Archer. Even possibly Cliff Joyner or Stevie Moore.

Barbara
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
One of the big mags - BD or P&B - did a great article on Monica a while back. I didn't know she was from the South. She has this beauty and aura about her that suggests she's from an European country.

I was most impressed about her recovery from a near-fatal auto accident and how she devoted her energies into pool and a constructive life.

Barbara

ScottR
07-03-2006, 07:23 PM
One of the big mags - BD or P&B - did a great article on Monica a while back. I didn't know she was from the South. She has this beauty and aura about her that suggests she's from an European country.

I was most impressed about her recovery from a near-fatal auto accident and how she devoted her energies into pool and a constructive life.

Barbara
Thank you smittie and Barbara for saying positive things about the article and the fact that a major newspaper (rag though it may be - I agree Smittie!) devoted the column inches to our sport. Thank gawd I didn't have to read one more nit-picky, back-handed jab because the article wasn't about a poster's favorite player(s). :rolleyes: