PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sigel...............

George
07-02-2006, 04:55 PM
..............if you're going to do the color commentary on the IPT will you please learn how to pronounce Efren..........there is no M in Efren. Sorry all just a pet peeve I have about commentators. Am I the only one this bothers?
I also liked his comment how Efren has never beaten him in a tournament final :rolleyes: and in his very next breath starts saying how he doesn't know what's going to happen if they play because Efren's been playing for days and he hasn't. Excuses in advance???:eek:

George

StraightPoolIU
07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
The one thing I hate about commentators is when they state the obvious. hmmm...

s'portplayer
07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I had the same thoughts about Mike when I was watching Efren's match. What about that "botched safety" of Manolo? Looked like a foul to me.

cuechick
07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
And it's "Booste-monte" Not "Bust"...YES it is very annoying!

StraightPoolIU
07-02-2006, 05:05 PM
And I used to get mad when I would watch Formula 1 on tv and Bob Varsha would incorrectly pronounce the great Ayrton (Air-ton) Senna's name Eye-air-ton, but it didn't have anything to do with watching the race so I got over it. I suggest the same thing in this case.

poolhall maven
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I had the same thoughts about Mike when I was watching Efren's match. What about that "botched safety" of Manolo? Looked like a foul to me.

most definitely was a foul on my tv...
phm

cuechick
07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I saw a foul and I acutally know the ref, he use to be on one of my first APA teams and he knows his stuff.

sjm
07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I think this is just Mike's way of retalliating for the number of times his last name has been mis-spelled on the AZB forum. Just kidding, of course. Sigel shows just how out of touch he is with modern pro pool by mispronouncing the name of one of the game's most legendary figures.

Perhaps we should start calling "Captain Hook" Mike Seagull (perhaps fans of Anton Chekhov will understand the admittedly obscure symbolism). I'm sure Mike wouln't mind.

seanjonsean
07-02-2006, 06:38 PM
well ive seen "the mouth" play on tv quite a bit and never seen him smile this much i mean from cheek to cheek,maybe its just me...

s'portplayer
07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Of all the times I heard Mike mention the women players in the IPT. I never once heard him give them their due respect. Some of the top mens players got beat by the girls. Give them what their due for a match and win well played.

sixpack
07-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I think this is just Mike's way of retalliating for the number of times his last name has been mis-spelled on the AZB forum. Just kidding, of course. Sigel shows just how out of touch he is with modern pro pool by mispronouncing the name of one of the game's most legendary figures.

Perhaps we should start calling "Captain Hook" Mike Seagull. I'm sure he wouln't mind.

I've noticed in old accu-stats tapes that Varner, Hall, DiLiberto and all of the greats that commentate seem to call him 'Efram'. I think even Grady did in one match. I wonder if there wasn't some misunderstanding when he was first over here before his name was prevalent in print. Either that or it's all gamesmanship :)

Cheers,
RC

karambolista
07-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I saw a foul and I acutally know the ref, he use to be on one of my first APA teams and he knows his stuff.

Great call by the ref, it was a close call but he stood by his decision, which IMHO was the right call.

I wonder if Manalo would have hit the 6 ball first if ther were playing on a faster or less nap cloth.

pete lafond
07-02-2006, 07:14 PM

Perhaps we should start calling "Captain Hook" Mike Seagull. I'm sure he wouln't mind.

I played PoolShark52 today and yesterday (Pat). He stopped by for a few days and is heading back to Fla. on Wed. Played some 10 ball and then after watching the IPT on TV we decided to play 8 ball.

I tried to convince him to detour through NYC and play some games with you.I was thinking about the post a few weeks back. Anyway he can't this time but he looks forward to someday playing you and Steve L.

You know Mike Seagull (ha ha ) was his long time playing opponent and we were saying the same thing about his mispronunciation of Efren's name as we watched.

jsp
07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
It's one thing if Sigel consistently mispronounces a name. But this has not been the case. Sometimes he says "Efren" and sometimes he says "Efram". I have no idea why he goes back and forth.

Another example concerns his pronounciation of Manalo. He had been pronouncing "Manalo" pretty decently the previous four episodes. But for some reason in this episode, he said something like "Manilow". WTF? If you're gonna pronounce something wrong, i'd rather you do it all the time, rather than going back and forth.

I actually think he does this on purpose. And IMO, he's totally disrespecting the players he is commentating.

jsp <~~~ thought Manilow's safety was indeed a foul

1 Pocket Ghost
07-02-2006, 09:32 PM

I agree with the consensus...it was close, but looked like a foul to me as well....But what I also believe that I saw, was the reason for the foul ( and it wasn't mis-execution by Manalo )....Just after Manalo struck the cueball I saw the cueball roll off very slightly to the left/toward the bottom rail, resulting in it not grazing the object ball before hitting the rail.....Anybody else see this ? Ghost

Rich93
07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I've noticed in old accu-stats tapes that Varner, Hall, DiLiberto and all of the greats that commentate seem to call him 'Efram'. I think even Grady did in one match. I wonder if there wasn't some misunderstanding when he was first over here before his name was prevalent in print. Either that or it's all gamesmanship :)

Cheers,
RC
It is odd that he would mispronounce the name on TV, and nobody slips him a piece of paper correcting him. So maybe it is some kind of affectionate nickname, like Cardone. Sigel may be out of touch, but I can't believe he's that out of touch. There once was a famous Efrem, by the way - Efrem Zimbalist Jr., who played Stu Bailey on 77 Sunset Strip and Lewis Erskine on The FBI (I say "was", but he's still living at 87). Maybe that's how the mispronunciation started.

JAM
07-03-2006, 02:17 AM
I agree with the consensus...it was close, but looked like a foul to me as well....But what I also believe that I saw, was the reason for the foul ( and it wasn't mis-execution by Manalo )....Just after Manalo struck the cueball I saw the cueball roll off very slightly to the left/toward the bottom rail, resulting in it not grazing the object ball before hitting the rail.....Anybody else see this ? Ghost

The bottom line is the ref called it a foul; thus, it is a foul. ;)

However, I was there, and though I did not see it up front and close as the referee did, when seeing it again last night on TV, I did not think it was a foul. Marlon grazed the 6-ball ever so slightly before it hit the rail, and you are right, 1 Pocket Ghost, it did roll out slightly after it hit the rail.:mad:

After the match, Marlon was stating it was not a foul, and the audience members were mixed in their feelings whether it was or was not. Deno, et al., looked at the shot via videotape in slow motion, but it was after the fact. Again, it is a foul because the bottom line is what the referee says. ;)

I spoke to Francisco Bustamante outside on a smoke break, and I asked him what he thought about that so-called foul. He said he didn't see it when it happened. I like all of the Filipino players, but Francisco is my favorite, mainly because he's got such a great personality. :p

Poor Marlon had another mishap during this tournament. He was playing somebody after this match. I can't remember who. It might have been Efren Reyes. Marlon's opponent comes up with a miss and returned to his designated tableside chair. Marlon doesn't advance to the table right away. The referee went over to the table and gathered the balls to rack them. Unbeknownst to the referee, the game was still in progress. Poor Marlon walked out of the tournament room to get a hold of his composure. :(

Marlon really took some tough beats, IMHO, and he was the only undefeated player for the majority of the event. After the IPT KOTH, though, he went on to compete in Allen Hopkins/Matt Braun's Texas Hold'em Billiard Championship at Mohegan Sun, I think, and won the whole shebang. Marlon enjoyed a very good year in 2005. :)

BTW, one characteristic of a top player is the ability to let go of the negative and keep on trucking. Marlon displayed an excellent tableside demeanor, never letting his anger or being upset get in the way of his play. Some players are unable to do this. That's what separates the lions from the lambs, and Marlon is a true champion.

Picture taken at last year's 2005 U.S. Open of Marlon and Keith McCready.

JAM

Hal
07-03-2006, 02:25 AM
In round two of IPT, one of the players made a 3/4 length table draw shot. Mike says, "See, the girls can't draw the cue ball like that. Most of them have to play forward position." What a dork.

That's not an exact quote, but he was saying women can't draw the cue ball.

Icon of Sin
07-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Along the lines of pronouncing Efren. When I originally purchased the King of the Hill finals DVD it drove me nuts because they were calling him EfreM the whole first set, but then they started calling him Efren, however, I have an old match between Efren and Bustamante from ESPN (it was a semifinal, in the final Bustamante took down Horsfall)where Allen Hopkins was calling him Efrem too.

Maybe some people just can't pronounce it right (similar to Kevin saying Drar instead of Draw) or maybe thats how the old time pros learned how to say it back in the day and the habit just stuck.

rackmsuckr
07-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Poor Marlon had another mishap during this tournament. He was playing somebody after this match. I can't remember who. It might have been Efren Reyes. Marlon's opponent comes up with a miss and returned to his designated tableside chair. Marlon doesn't advance to the table right away. The referee went over to the table and gathered the balls to rack them. Unbeknownst to the referee, the game was still in progress. Poor Marlon walked out of the tournament room to get a hold of his composure. :(

JAM

Actually, it was Efren that was shooting and was on the 8 when he turned back to get another cue or something. He headed back over to his chair and the ref scooped the balls to rack. The game was stopped, the replays were run to try to re-position the ball - although a little more favorably for Efren, and Efren pocketed the ball.

The ref is a friend of mine and I asked him later if he got fired and he said absolutely not. KT said it would make great TV.

And it bugs me too when someone mispronounces names. My husband does it all the time. :eek:

JAM
07-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Actually, it was Efren that was shooting and was on the 8 when he turned back to get another cue or something. He headed back over to his chair and the ref scooped the balls to rack. The game was stopped, the replays were run to try to re-position the ball - although a little more favorably for Efren, and Efren pocketed the ball.

The ref is a friend of mine and I asked him later if he got fired and he said absolutely not. KT said it would make great TV.

Thank you for the clarification. I do stand corrected. :)

I knew that Efren was the last one who shot, but I didn't know he was returning to the table to shoot the 8-ball. I thought he had missed and it was Marlon's turn.:o

I do remember the referee swooping up the balls. Marlon exited the tournament room immediately because of this, for lack of a better term, difficult situation. I made mention of this incident to state how professional Marlon Manalo was in his demeanor, considering he was playing a very important match. Some players would not have handled it as well, IMHO.:eek:

I do not want to give the impression that I am degrading any of the referees at the IPT KOTH by mentioning this incident. :(

Rather, I wanted to praise Marlon for his marvelous behavior. Hey, maybe that's why they call him "Marvelous Marlon." ;)

JAM

catscradle
07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I won't criticize somebody's pronounciation as I can barely pronounce lots of words, but "Efren" does seem rather simple to me.
Last night was the first time I was able to see the IPT broadcast. In a word I thought it sucked. Sigel's mispronunciations were just the tip of the iceberg. I'll watch it when I just happen to be in the right place at the right time, but no way I'll make a special effort to watch it.
Give me Accu-stats and Bill Incardona anytime.

mnorwood
07-03-2006, 04:27 PM
the mouth has no business commentating the IPT. IMO he has no business playing in the IPT. I bet he will be one who will have to requalify for next year.

cuechick
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
the mouth has no business commentating the IPT. IMO he has no business playing in the IPT. I bet he will be one who will have to requalify for next year.

Though I am no fan of his, I think that there is little doubt that without the mouth there would be no IPT!

At least in the final we will not have to hear him commentate!

Nostroke
07-03-2006, 06:38 PM
The bottom line is the ref called it a foul; thus, it is a foul. ;)

Marlon really took some tough beats, IMHO, and he was the only undefeated player for the majority of the event. After the IPT KOTH, though, he went on to compete in Allen Hopkins/Matt Braun's Texas Hold'em Billiard Championship at Mohegan Sun, I think, and won the whole shebang. Marlon enjoyed a very good year in 2005. :)

JAM

Not that it is at all pertinent but i noticed this is the 2nd time you have posted the above on the Texas Hold'M event.

Im sure the other info is correct but the venue was the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield Mass an hour or so North of Mohegan Sun. :)

Scott Lee
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Sigel will NOT have to requalify. The players who automatically get their 2007 IPT Tour cards, will be the top 100, according the the amount of money they won. Sigel has already banked $150K for the opening match with Loree Jon Jones, and another $100K, for losing to Efren in the KOTH. That will certainly put him in the top 100...although I agree with you on your points!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Blackjack
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I also liked his comment how Efren has never beaten him in a tournament final :rolleyes:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong about this, but...

I think that I remember Efren Reyes defeating Mike Sigel to win the 1988 McDermott Masters in Detroit,Michigan - unless I imagined the whole thing or if I am incorrect, which happens alot. Does anybody remember that? This was the tournament where Jean Balukas finished high in the money.

rackmsuckr
07-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Sigel will NOT have to requalify. The players who automatically get their 2007 IPT Tour cards, will be the top 100, according the the amount of money they won. Sigel has already banked $150K for the opening match with Loree Jon Jones, and another $100K, for losing to Efren in the KOTH. That will certainly put him in the top 100...although I agree with you on your points!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the basis for holding your tour card is money won in 2006. The other events occurred in 2005. I think everyone starts out even at The Venetian.